2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1437435769' post='11988360']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1437417502' post='11985996']
What's your swing speed? Is your driver 10.5 degrees adjusted down to 9.75? If so, that's most likely opening up the club face, which will do more to promote a fade than the weight adjustments.

[/quote]

I thought lowering the loft promotes less spin and the slice?

i'm definitely going to try choking up for starters as well as some of the other suggestions. Looking forward to working on it tomorrow.

Also got my 5h in the mail today. Is it too early to call in sick for tomorrow?
[/quote]

Less loft promotes less backspin, but at the expense of sidespin when struck with an open/closed face. That's why it's easier to work a ball with a lower club, unless you're Bubba, in which case you can hook a pitching wedge 30 yards.

I can tell by the tone of your post that you're starting to come down with something. 'Better call in sick tomorrow. You wouldn't want everyone in your office to come down ill, now would you? If you don't have any sick days left, try the old calling in dead trick. 'Works every time.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Heading over to Mistwood tomorrow. Shaping up to be a very nice day.
So...... This morning I get an innocent call from a buddy...."What are you doing?". Me - I'm in Madison on another college trip with my daughter.... Him - "so you can't play golf??? I need a single to fill out a foursome at the White Sox charity outing at Harbourside. Teeing off in about 45 minutes". Me - f%$&er - you think you could have called like maybe last night, so I could make plans? Him - "I forgot"... Thanks, but no thanks! It looks like he wound up playing with Harold Baines. Last year the ***** played with Robin and made the evening news by holing out his 3rd shot on their last hole (par-5) while the cameras were rolling....

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

[quote name='stasek' timestamp='1437443971' post='11989384']
Heading over to Mistwood tomorrow. Shaping up to be a very nice day.
So...... This morning I get an innocent call from a buddy...."What are you doing?". Me - I'm in Madison on another college trip with my daughter.... Him - "so you can't play golf??? I need a single to fill out a foursome at the White Sox charity outing at Harbourside. Teeing off in about 45 minutes". Me - f%$&er - you think you could have called like maybe last night, so I could make plans? Him - "I forgot"... Thanks, but no thanks! It looks like he wound up playing with Harold Baines. Last year the ***** played with Robin and made the evening news by holing out his 3rd shot on their last hole (par-5) while the cameras were rolling....
[/quote]

funny, I was just playing hockey with a friend of mine who played in that Sox outing today. He works for WGN. Said it was fun. I forgot the name of the pro he was with, some nobody pitcher. Honestly, I love Baines, but he is probably the worst celebrity to get paired with. He barely talks. Like 4 words all day barely.

I have been fortunate to play about two dozen times with HB (along with other Sox players) over the past ten years or so and actually consider him a friend. He is extremely quiet, unless you know him well, then he's an absolute chatter box and boy does he love to talk $hit, especially about the Cubs! Poor guy walks like he's about 85 years old. I'm not a sox fan, but was always a fan of HB. Really is a shame he couldn't stay healthy enough and had to move to DH. Couple more points on the career BA and some more hits and he's in the HOF.

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1437401221' post='11983610']
[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1437267893' post='11975508']
Maiden voyage to Makray Memorial today.
[/quote]

Drove past Makray on my way to Foxford Hills Saturday. Only my 2nd time there and out that direction, so it caught my attention yet again. Looks like a pretty nice little course. Might have to try that one out some time.

Played Foxford Hills Saturday, wasn't nearly as nasty hot as it was predicted to be. Fortunately somebody else brought the heat to warm us up on the first tee. Great day, nice and cool for a while, then the furnace kicked on for a few holes on the back nine. Then we sat and drank in the cart basement as tornado warnings went off. All in all a pretty good day, great company, lot of fun.
[/quote]

Vnutz shot a lights out 74 on Saturday and absent one double on a par 5, played inspiring golf. It was fun to watch. He carried/drove a par 4 of around 300 and hit it to about 10 feet. Pretty much sucked a driver back which is pretty rare. Scratch shot a sneaky 78 or 79 and considering the "influences" it was a helluva round.

Lefty and I mostly insulted each other the entire round...and our games...well they were pretty insulting as well. Although I have to say Lefty hit two amazing shots on #10 at Foxford including a slightly drawn hybrid from about 220ish and put it 15 feet away. That followed a drive that was probably 3 spins on the Toledo.

Have to say in spite of sucking, it's the most I've laughed on the golf course this year. Lefty would say the same...but he'd say it was from looking at my game.

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1437485977' post='11991554']
It was a 4 iron from 235 to 8ft, but who remembers those things.
[/quote]

Stayed away from saying it was 8 feet because everyone makes 8 foot eagle putts or at least sniffs the hole. Figured by saying it was 15 feet, it lowered the expectation.

And note, I didn't make any comment about hitting a 7 iron past your driver on 12. Would never bring that up just as Vnutz wouldn't scream out ELEVEN when we were doing the skins match up. He's such a nice guy that way.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1437488718' post='11991826']
[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1437485977' post='11991554']
It was a 4 iron from 235 to 8ft, but who remembers those things.
[/quote]

Stayed away from saying it was 8 feet because everyone makes 8 foot eagle putts or at least sniffs the hole. Figured by saying it was 15 feet, it lowered the expectation.

And note, I didn't make any comment about hitting a 7 iron past your driver on 12. Would never bring that up just as Vnutz wouldn't scream out ELEVEN when we were doing the skins match up. He's such a nice guy that way.
[/quote]

:lol: Sorry, blame the bourbon.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1437488851' post='11991844']
Nope...net 10. Much, much better.
[/quote]
Come on - a low single digit capper can't take more then a double.... See what creative accounting does to ones' scores? You just got a 6 or 7....

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

sounds like fun.
How was the condition of Foxford?
I enjoy that course, in spite of the houses

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Did someone say bourbon?

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

thanks, VNutz
sounds like a great round, you drove the 12th green?
double on which par 5? (2, 6, 10 or 15?)

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

[quote name='geochitown' timestamp='1437494148' post='11992450']
thanks, VNutz
sounds like a great round, you drove the 12th green?
double on which par 5? (2, 6, 10 or 15?)
[/quote]

Put a good round together, but definitely got some breaks. Got away with a couple of bad misses for either bogey or scrambling par. I chipped pretty well for a couple tap in pars that helped a lot. Drove 12, landed about a foot from the cup on 13, missed both putts. Doubled 15 from 200 out and a 6i in hand, caught it fat and landed on the rocks. Typical for me to do that when I've got a chance to go low. No worries though, had a lot of fun out there.

[quote name='stasek' timestamp='1437491803' post='11992216']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1437488851' post='11991844']
Nope...net 10. Much, much better.
[/quote]
Come on - a low single digit capper can't take more then a double.... See what creative accounting does to ones' scores? You just got a 6 or 7....
[/quote]

If you're talking about Lefty, he doesn't post anything. If you're talking terribly erratic, I'm your guy. The single digit days are gone...I'm trying to get out of the triple digit days.

78. Making a DOUBLE on the 3rd 125 yard par 3 doesnt help nor does the chip shot that I almost TC Chen'd.
Hell, the bourbon wasnt even kicking in yet but then again maybe that was my problem.
Good times for sure. Let me know the next time around, I'll bring both flasks. :)

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Looks like there's some ChicagoLefty's here that need some new old pre-certified clubs. I know another lefty here that can help him. Discounted of course!

[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Played Whisper Creek today for the first time. Course was in great shape and the price was right ($40 with cart), but I gotta say I was not a fan of the layout. Lots of target golf off the tee, couldn't use a driver on 5 holes. #8 might be my new least favorite hole in Illinois. Layup off the tee to a tiny swatch of fairway, get up there and find the layup area is on a severe slant and all the balls are 6" below your feet. next shot is over a large hazard to a blind landing area.

there were a few other holes I wasn't fond of, but overall the course was ok.

Thanks to Arg for the driving tip, choked up today and hit it really well. Still had some slices, but controlled it much better overall and manage to get the center of the clubface on the ball on every tee shot. Struggled a bit with my new Callaway XR 5 hybrid, shots leaking to the right. Thought it would look the same as my current XHot2 hybrids, but the face at address is different so I gotta get used to it.

Had an odd day, doubled 3 of the last 4 to finish with an 86. Played the par 5s at 8 over and the par 3s at 1 under. Doubled 5 holes, all with FIR. Putted really well with the new grip, rolled in a 40 footer for birdie and then later a 10 footer.

Was annoyed cause one of my buddies didn't want to drive the extra 10 minutes and play Blackstone. I've never played it and it was a long way to drive only to not go another 10 minutes. Still had a great time at WC, but been wanting to play Blackstone for a couple years now.

Bogeys on par 5's are killer. How well do you hit your 3 wood off the tee? Even though I've had great luck with my shortened driver, I still play a 3 wood on most par 5's, as 3W, 5W, <PW is good enough for most of them. The 3W keeps the big misses out of the equation for the most part.

Also, are you taking a neutral grip, or a strong grip? A little strong on the left hand helps get the face closed/square at impact.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1437532834' post='11996668']
Bogeys on par 5's are killer. How well do you hit your 3 wood off the tee? Even though I've had great luck with my shortened driver, I still play a 3 wood on most par 5's, as 3W, 5W, <PW is good enough for most of them. The 3W keeps the big misses out of the equation for the most part.

Also, are you taking a neutral grip, or a strong grip? A little strong on the left hand helps get the face closed/square at impact.
[/quote]

I hit the fairway on all those par 5s so that wasn't the issue. Don't carry a 3W or 5W, carrying hybrids instead. I hit them good off the tee usually, about 210 and usually straight or with a slight fade with the 3. Hit the 4 about 185-190 and pretty straight. Lately I've been putting the driver away and going hybrid off the tee more often than usual, trying to take risk and trouble out of play. Ironically though, the last couple rounds when I've tried to go hybrid late in the round to protect a score its blown up in my face every time (but that could just be cause I've been looking at my scorecard and choking :)

Not sure what grip I have, never understood that distinction.

A strong grip rotates the hands under the grip. The hands want to come back to a neutral position in the swing, which helps close the clubface, and hit a draw.

A weak grip rotates the hands over the grip. The hands want to come back to neutral, which opens the clubface to hit a draw.

Golf-grips.jpg

You work night shift Argonne?

[size=3]BOOM![/size]