2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1438099409' post='12034826']
Just got word from the wife that she was able to get all day Friday off so looks like another weekend getaway in Green Lake! Gonna give a new course a try, Whispering Springs in Fon Du Lac. Its about 45 minutes away from Green Lake, supposed to be a pretty decent course. I'll follow that up with a couple rounds at Lawsonia..excited to try out my new and improved cross handed putting grip on their greens.
[/quote]

Cool, a Bob Lohmann designed course.

I played Blackstone last Friday and as usual enjoyed despite the beating I normally get there (another Lohmann design).

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I played George Dunne in 3.5 hrs today. We teed off at 3, done at 6:30. No traffic, made a pit stop at Tufano's for take out, and in my house on the Northside by 7:30. Where is everyone?

I played pretty well, even with two doubles on the front. Needed par on 18 to break 80. Unfortunately, I made a triple. It was a fun round, but really hot, especially walking.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1438099545' post='12034866']
[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1438099409' post='12034826']
Just got word from the wife that she was able to get all day Friday off so looks like another weekend getaway in Green Lake! Gonna give a new course a try, Whispering Springs in Fon Du Lac. Its about 45 minutes away from Green Lake, supposed to be a pretty decent course. I'll follow that up with a couple rounds at Lawsonia..excited to try out my new and improved cross handed putting grip on their greens.
[/quote]

Nice. Have you played Sentry World since the redo? Also, how's the new hybrid working out? Get rid of the fade yet?
[/quote]

Haven't gotten up to Sentry World yet. It looks to be about 1.5 hours north of Green Lake which is out of my range if I'm up there with the wife and dog. I've got it on the agenda for next year as part of a guys trip.

I seem to be figuring out the 5H, was hitting it pretty straight on Sunday. There's a 175 yard par 3 at the Links course, looking forward to giving it a go there.

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1438129659' post='12038092']
I played George Dunne in 3.5 hrs today. We teed off at 3, done at 6:30. No traffic, made a pit stop at Tufano's for take out, and in my house on the Northside by 7:30. Where is everyone?

I played pretty well even with two doubles on the front. I needed par on 18 to break 80. Unfortunately, I made a triple. It was a fun round, but really hot, especially walking.
[/quote]

You go lake left or trap/woods right off the tee on 18?

3.5 hours at twlight on a tuesday sounds about right for GD. That's essentially the only time you can fly through that place.

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1438131552' post='12038296'][quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1438129659' post='12038092']

I played pretty well even with two doubles on the front. I needed par on 18 to break 80. Unfortunately, I made a triple. It was a fun round, but really hot, especially walking.
[/quote]

You go lake left or trap/woods right off the tee on 18?

3.5 hours at twlight on a tuesday sounds about right for GD. That's essentially the only time you can fly through that place.[/quote]

Pulled my tee shot, and it wasn't solid. Hybrid from the drop zone was just a little to the right, so I had tree trouble for my 4th shot. Hit a 90 yard low running 5 iron just over the back. Then a tricky down hill chip. Two putts later equals 7.

I play GD weekday afternoons all the time. This was the fastest pace I can remember.

Village Links tomorrow arvo with Lefty and some "clients". And when I say clients I mean schmoozing for business. And when I say schmoozing I mean we already have them on the books. And when I mean business I mean an excuse to play midweek!

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1438173972' post='12040250']
I've played GD in 3-3.5 hours many times! Usually it's been the front nine only though!
[/quote]

No kidding. I haven't been back there since my 5:45 round in September 2012. The round prior to that was 5:30.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

What's the deal with Midlane? I'm looking to play there for the first time on Saturday morning, and the tee sheet is more or less wide open. There are openings for 4somes at 8:10, 8:40, 8:50, 9:10, 9:20, 9:30, 9:40, and 9:50. This obviously send off warning bells. Is this a hidden gem, or an empty goat track?

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1438182291' post='12041132']
Anyone play Water's Edge this year?
[/quote]

I played it early this year. Can't exactly remember when probably April/Mayish. It was in great shape at the time. A lot of the greens in the area were playing like crap and if I remember they were the only decent ones.

I haven't played it since but I've always enjoyed the course as a tough but fair challenge.

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1438182291' post='12041132']
Anyone play Water's Edge this year?
[/quote]

Goose sh*t, poor drainage, spotty conditioning, poor pace of play. What's not to like? I always though the layout was decent and challenging, but too many other factors work against it.

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1438186516' post='12041614']
Years ago WE was a nice track. I haven't played there in years. Too bad it's no longer worth it.
[/quote]

It really is a fun layout. Being that it's built on the same sludge material that Harborside is, it's make it extremely difficult to maintain, constantly have to keep wet or turf won't survive. Unfortunately for WE they had to charge a premium and then needed to call in BCG for help. Not many can cut like BCG can cut! I used to play out there once a year for their Superintendents Revenge tournament. Was always an awesome time!

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1438187203' post='12041706'][quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1438186516' post='12041614']
Years ago WE was a nice track. I haven't played there in years. Too bad it's no longer worth it.
[/quote]

It really is a fun layout. Being that it's built on the same sludge material that Harborside is, it's make it extremely difficult to maintain, constantly have to keep wet or turf won't survive. Unfortunately for WE they had to charge a premium and then needed to call in BCG for help. Not many can cut like BCG can cut! I used to play out there once a year for their Superintendents Revenge tournament. Was always an awesome time![/quote]

I would've never guessed WE and Harborside share similar construction. One's on a river bank, and the other's an old garbage dump. But, it explains a lot.

I used to like everything about it, except the walk from the 1st green to the 2nd tee, and 17 back to 18. It's pretty close to the city, fun course, nice grass range and the price was fair. Too bad:(

agree on Waters Edge. Used to play it a lot close to 10 years ago. Back then, the course was in great shape, there was GPS in the carts, kids would come out to the 18th green and clean your clubs. Then the recession hit and the place went to crap. They even yanked all the GPS screens out of the cart...never heard of anyone doing that before. I imagine that once you have the equipment it doesn't cost that much to maintain it which is a pretty good indicator of just how broke the course is.

Funny story from WE...years ago was there and a buddy of mine had about 7 hard lemonades and it was real hot that day. Afterwards we go to Portillos on Harlem and he passed out in the middle of the restaurant while carrying his tray of food to the table. From about 3 feet away he basically threw his tray onto the table and then fell into the chair..large drink and food spilled all over the table and his seat and then he just drops in the chair, makes a nice splash of coke go flying and the proceeds to grab a burger and start eating it as if its no big deal..while basically sitting in a puddle of coke and fries and probably his own filth at that point.

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1438188989' post='12041932']

I used to like everything about it, except the walk from the 1st green to the 2nd tee, and 17 back to 18. It's pretty close to the city, fun course, nice grass range and the price was fair. Too bad:(
[/quote]

I had a run in with the pro shop at WE a few years back because they insisted I couldn't walk in the AM on the weekends. They tried the 'ol "slows down play" trick, but I was having none of it. Finally, they admitted it was all about the cart revenue. When I agreed to pay the cart fee, they let me walk. Of course, I was the first on the green on 90% of the holes. 'Really left a sour taste in my mouth, which is another reason I don't play there more often.

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1438189923' post='12042050']
agree on Waters Edge. Used to play it a lot close to 10 years ago. Back then, the course was in great shape, there was GPS in the carts, kids would come out to the 18th green and clean your clubs. Then the recession hit and the place went to crap. They even yanked all the GPS screens out of the cart...never heard of anyone doing that before. I imagine that once you have the equipment it doesn't cost that much to maintain it which is a pretty good indicator of just how broke the course is.

[/quote]

I think they were pioneers in this regard. With the popularity of handheld GPS devices, and now lasers and smartphone apps, few courses are offering GPS in the carts. I don't think it's the cost of the equipment so much as the licensing fees. I'm guessing that they pay a yearly fee to the GPS vendor.

I can only think of a handful of courses that still offer GPS on the carts.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1438194984' post='12042712']
[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1438188989' post='12041932']
[/quote]

I had a run in with the pro shop at WE a few years back because they insisted I couldn't walk in the AM on the weekends. They tried the 'ol "slows down play" trick, but I was having none of it. Finally, they admitted it was all about the cart revenue. When I agreed to pay the cart fee, they let me walk. Of course, I was the first on the green on 90% of the holes. 'Really left a sour taste in my mouth, which is another reason I don't play there more often.
[/quote]

I had that same problem at Bloomingdale one year. We walked off and played elsewhere. Sh.itty policy as it wasn't listed at the time.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

I've posted this in other threads, but I'll include it here as well. My brother worked as an Assistant Pro at WE for several years, until Kemper lost it to Billy Casper, at which time Casper offered him the "opportunity" to work more hours for far less money, money (and hours) that were already well below what anyone here would deem acceptible, despite promises for better the future...

As has been mentioned above, the course was built on an old dump, leading to frequent issues with drainage and other problems. Over time it was plagued by that poor drainage, locals (and town officials) that walked and at times destroyed the course (ATVs and carts in lakes), a revolving door of head pros, more than a few that stole from the company and customers, and supers and employees that were good at their job, but not great enough to fix the problems, mainly the horrible greens. At the time it was built, the mid to late 90s when golf was booming, it was seen as an answer for the town as to what to do with a worthless piece of property, make the town more attractive and make money at the same time. It began as a fantastic course and a great idea, but quickly was under consistent pressure from the town to be more profitable, lest it be bulldozed under for a series of mini malls that town officials wanted. It originally was run by Kemper Sports, the same company that built and runs Bandon Dunes, and for a while it was worthy of their name. But as the years went by they had to skimp on costs to meet the towns' profit demands, and when the economy took a dump and the opportunity arose, late 2009 I believe the town ditched Kemper and went with the lower cost of operation that Casper offered. When Casper came in they instantly laid off nearly the entire staff, down to a skeleton crew. As expected, conditions worsened and the quality of golf suffered. The GPS carts, which were rented out on a yearly basis, were dropped in an effort to cut costs while keeping prices the same. The restaurant and bar were emphasized more as a way to increase revenue and sales. In the end, the town is happy, Casper is happy to be making money, Kemper is happy they don't have to deal with the scum at Worth anymore, and the golfers suffer. Such happens when the emphasis is on profitability. IMO it's a shame that the company of Casper bears his name.

It's truly a shame as the course layout is incredibly unique for the area and actually a lot of fun IMO. It has a ton of potential to be a great course, but that doesn't seem to be what the town of Worth wants.

Itasca CC tomorrow and HoE on Saturday...Have a comp'd invite to Dubs Sunday but cant make it happen. Dang that hurts.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Muira 302 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1438198062' post='12043026']
I've posted this in other threads, but I'll include it here as well. My brother worked as an Assistant Pro at WE for several years, until Kemper lost it to Billy Casper, at which time Casper offered him the "opportunity" to work more hours for far less money, money (and hours) that were already well below what anyone here would deem acceptible, despite promises for better the future...

As has been mentioned above, the course was built on an old dump, leading to frequent issues with drainage and other problems. Over time it was plagued by that poor drainage, locals (and town officials) that walked and at times destroyed the course (ATVs and carts in lakes), a revolving door of head pros, more than a few that stole from the company and customers, and supers and employees that were good at their job, but not great enough to fix the problems, mainly the horrible greens. At the time it was built, the mid to late 90s when golf was booming, it was seen as an answer for the town as to what to do with a worthless piece of property, make the town more attractive and make money at the same time. It began as a fantastic course and a great idea, but quickly was under consistent pressure from the town to be more profitable, lest it be bulldozed under for a series of mini malls that town officials wanted. It originally was run by Kemper Sports, the same company that built and runs Bandon Dunes, and for a while it was worthy of their name. But as the years went by they had to skimp on costs to meet the towns' profit demands, and when the economy took a dump and the opportunity arose, late 2009 I believe the town ditched Kemper and went with the lower cost of operation that Casper offered. When Casper came in they instantly laid off nearly the entire staff, down to a skeleton crew. As expected, conditions worsened and the quality of golf suffered. The GPS carts, which were rented out on a yearly basis, were dropped in an effort to cut costs while keeping prices the same. The restaurant and bar were emphasized more as a way to increase revenue and sales. In the end, the town is happy, Casper is happy to be making money, Kemper is happy they don't have to deal with the scum at Worth anymore, and the golfers suffer. Such happens when the emphasis is on profitability. IMO it's a shame that the company of Casper bears his name.

It's truly a shame as the course layout is incredibly unique for the area and actually a lot of fun IMO. It has a ton of potential to be a great course, but that doesn't seem to be what the town of Worth wants.
[/quote]

Sad story. Is WE a muni? I don't think there are many muni's out there that actually turn a profit, as their primary purpose is to provide recreation for the local community.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1438200639' post='12043326']
Sad story. Is WE a muni? I don't think there are many muni's out there that actually turn a profit, as their primary purpose is to provide recreation for the local community.
[/quote]

It's owned by the town and operated under contract by another company, so call it what you will. Usually such courses are for recreation, but very few munis are courses built within the past 20 years or so, most are long paid off. Perhaps a modern day muni if you want to call it that, it does offer discounts to Worth residents. But it certainly has been operated with revenue streams in mind, probably to meet expectations and costs, and also as an added revenue stream they expected, hence the pressure to increase numbers lest it be turned into mini malls. Town officials often frequented it as if they personally owned the place, many used it as their own amusement park.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1438179847' post='12040852']What's the deal with Midlane? I'm looking to play there for the first time on Saturday morning, and the tee sheet is more or less wide open. There are openings for 4somes at 8:10, 8:40, 8:50, 9:10, 9:20, 9:30, 9:40, and 9:50. This obviously send off warning bells. Is this a hidden gem, or an empty goat track?[/quote]
Usually in pretty good shape.... But rounds are usually 5+ hours.

[quote name='dhartmann34' timestamp='1438204209' post='12043672']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1438179847' post='12040852']What's the deal with Midlane? I'm looking to play there for the first time on Saturday morning, and the tee sheet is more or less wide open. There are openings for 4somes at 8:10, 8:40, 8:50, 9:10, 9:20, 9:30, 9:40, and 9:50. This obviously send off warning bells. Is this a hidden gem, or an empty goat track?[/quote]
Usually in pretty good shape.... But rounds are usually 5+ hours.
[/quote]

Ugh. I'll take a pass.