Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

I played Heritage Bluffs today. Tee to green, it was in really good shape. There was some brown in the fairways because of the lack of rain but most of the course was still very lush. The greens had visible punch marks from what looked like small tines and they were rolling pretty slow. They weren't bumpy though, and I was able to lag putt fine and drop in a birdie on 3. There was a junior golf event going on so there were IJGA tees on pretty much every box. That brought back some high school golf memories. Ball striking with my irons was only okay today but I was driving the ball well enough that every par 4 except 4 and 12 was driver-short iron. That makes the game a little easier. 74.

I played Heritage Bluffs today. Tee to green, it was in really good shape. There was some brown in the fairways because of the lack of rain but most of the course was still very lush. The greens had visible punch marks from what looked like small tines and they were rolling pretty slow. They weren't bumpy though, and I was able to lag putt fine and drop in a birdie on 3. There was a junior golf event going on so there were IJGA tees on pretty much every box. That brought back some high school golf memories. Ball striking with my irons was only okay today but I was driving the ball well enough that every par 4 except 4 and 12 was driver-short iron. That makes the game a little easier. 74.

I’m a Heritage Bluff fan. Unfortunately, I don’t play it since I moved to NW side.

I've never been but my best buddy from SW burbs has played it once and highly recommended it. Going to make the trek from northside before summer's over. Might even play 36, with all the driving I'll have to do, I think they have a good replay rate.

Was just at Deerfield GC this morning. Greens are in superb shape as usual, but the fairways are getting absolutely scorched. Lots of brown in lots of places. I think they're using all their water on the greens and the new sod they have in some places. There was a groundskeeper just soaking sod near a bunker on 9 and my ball plugged in the "no so casual" water after a just awful shot with 39 on the front on the line. Put it to 4 feet from my new bunker lie and of course biffed the putt for 40. Despite a few loose shots, had a great day ball striking, but just couldn't buy a birdie. despite the course playing firm and fast through the green, the greens had been watered and were leaving big ball marks, so good scoring conditions for someone next tier up from my game lol. 12 pars and a 79 ain't too shabby for me tho.

Cobra KING LTD Pro 8.5º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 15º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
*Titleist 816H2 21º (C1) - Graphite Design AD DI 105S (Double Eagle/Albatross 7/15/17)

OR - *Titleist 712U 3i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 712U 4i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08, SM6 50.12F, SM6 56.14F bent to 55 True Temper DG S200
Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks V-Grind 60.10 True Temper DG S200
Scotty Cameron Bullseye Blade By Titleist

Playing Prairie Vista and Stone Creek tomorrow. Gotta go where the rain isn't.

$#!t is it gonna pour tomorrow? I saw scattered storms possibly. I'm supposed to get taken out to Woodstock CC tomorrow afternoon, hope it holds off.

*Titleist 816H2 21º (C1) - Graphite Design AD DI 105S (Double Eagle/Albatross 7/15/17)

I’m a Heritage Bluff fan. Unfortunately, I don’t play it since I moved to NW side.

I've never been but my best buddy from SW burbs has played it once and highly recommended it. Going to make the trek from northside before summer's over. Might even play 36, with all the driving I'll have to do, I think they have a good replay rate.

Was just at Deerfield GC this morning. Greens are in superb shape as usual, but the fairways are getting absolutely scorched. Lots of brown in lots of places. I think they're using all their water on the greens and the new sod they have in some places. There was a groundskeeper just soaking sod near a bunker on 9 and my ball plugged in the "no so casual" water after a just awful shot with 39 on the front on the line. Put it to 4 feet from my new bunker lie and of course biffed the putt for 40. Despite a few loose shots, had a great day ball striking, but just couldn't buy a birdie. despite the course playing firm and fast through the green, the greens had been watered and were leaving big ball marks, so good scoring conditions for someone next tier up from my game lol. 12 pars and a 79 ain't too shabby for me tho.

Just a suggestion if you plan on playing 36 holes. Try Cinder Ridge as well (approx. 12 miles s/w of Heritage Bluff).

15 hcp

Schaumburg Sunday, then wife and daughter leaves for Greece so I have a 9 day hall pass.

So lets see...36 at Oak Grove or Prairie View next Thursday, possibly The Preserve on Friday, and TBD Saturday and Sunday!

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

I was told a lot of courses are getting that "brown patch" stuff and it's actually a fungus. Something about the dew points the past few weeks allowing it to just gobhog wild. I don't know if that's the case everywhere....but what I was told by a superintendent at a course near me.

Playing Deerfield next week. Looking forward to it. Greens are always my favorite part of the course.

I was told a lot of courses are getting that "brown patch" stuff and it's actually a fungus. Something about the dew points the past few weeks allowing it to just gobhog wild. I don't know if that's the case everywhere....but what I was told by a superintendent at a course near me.

Playing Deerfield next week. Looking forward to it. Greens are always my favorite part of the course.

That makes sense. Did seem more diseased, than scorched, now that I think about it.

This must be it: http://www.golfcourseindustry.com/article/gci0713-prevent-dew-destroying-turf/

Playing Prairie Vista and Stone Creek tomorrow. Gotta go where the rain isn't.

$#!t is it gonna pour tomorrow? I saw scattered storms possibly. I'm supposed to get taken out to Woodstock CC tomorrow afternoon, hope it holds off.

There's a 30-50% chance of thunderstorms between 6:00 am and 3:00 pm in Chicago. Bear and I were gonna head to South Haven, MI but it's more like a 90% chance of t-storms over there. It looks clear in Bloomington and Urbana.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

That makes sense. Did seem more diseased, than scorched, now that I think about it.

This must be it: http://www.golfcourseindustry.com/article/gci0713-prevent-dew-destroying-turf/

Yes!! Dollar spot too! I forgot the name of that. Both are going crazy.

Only able to spare a few hours, enjoyed a quick game at Sportsman's. Sweet time.

The balance of this weekend I shall rejoin the brigade at Constellation Senior Players Championship - Exmoor CC. A very fine layout.

Props to the Western Golf Association. They really do a nice job of hosting.

Best to all.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Blackstone then shoot up hwy 23 and play Oak Grove.

If you're playing during the week and book online, it'll cost under $100 for a great day of golf.

SJ we haven't made the trek to OG yet. How are the greens?

They took forever to recover from the late November punching, but they're playing quick enough now.

The whole course is playing great, minus half the bunkers that suffer from rocks and mud.

I made it out to Oak Grove this morning in the rain. A lot has changed in the two weeks since I was last there.

The greens are still playing okay. They were quick even in the steady drizzle.

Unfortunately, the fairways and fringes are another story.

Earlier in the season they were green and lush, but now there are a lot of dead spots in the fairway and most of the fringes are either brown or just have dead holes. It looks like the dead fringe is starting to creep onto the greens.

I don't know if it was too much rain followed by not enough or if they were just mowing the fairways too tight, but it's noticeable.

Unless you love country road trips, it's probably not worth the drive. I can get from my desk to the first tee in 20 minutes so i'll keep going.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

My brother was in the Budget Golf store in Joliet on Friday. They advised him the store is going out of business and everything in the store is 20% off.

The online Budget Golf will continue and is doing well.

Another b&m casualty.

... I knew it was just a matter of time. Such a cool little store. Have probably bought 25 Foot Joy shirts from them and a plethora of stuff during their fall tent sale. Gonna miss them.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Just came back from LA this past Friday, slept a couple hours and saw my buddy play at the John Deere. It was an absolute treat as he hit 17/18 GIR.

As for the lessons with George Gankas, they were awesome but I was definitely working - hitting balls for about 8-9 hours a day in 90+ weather. He helped shallow out my swing to the point where I was swinging 8 right from 7 left and tap into some serious swing speed. (8 iron at 92mph). Just reminded of how much more work I'm gonna have to put in to get to where I want, but I highly recommend George, guy is absolutely brilliant!

Great day out at the Chicago Golf Club and the Women's US Senior Open tournament. It was awesome. You can walk pretty much anywhere. We walked down the fairways and stood 10 yards behind the players. Fairways were cut low and tight. Rough wasn't bad. Fescue wasn't too bad either. Greens we're fantastic. Undulation, squared off in places, good pace. And the bunkers.....just cool. A few of the many pics I took today. bdc7f1a2b2f297edfa53f04fc9e51fc4.jpg3b2c756906613ace831f68547fd81e6f.jpg8c26e85152dd948c13eb2b1f3c790759.jpgce28bfef6a743e7ff18e7f612a57ab9c.jpg9f8aab7db3ef424576494694d344fea5.jpg283834594bc045879d669ad7810ca8e7.jpged7753d5bbd39b5d926a98457eff77f5.jpg

There were lots of takeaways from today's double. First, if you're in the Bloomington area, avoid Prairie Vista for quite a while. They've completely lost the greens because of the dollar spot fungus. Did that stop them from overwatering the entire course overnight? It did not. Second, what happened to clear weather in Bloomington weather guy? We sat through a 90 minute rain delay where it proceeded to dump almost 1.5 inches of rain on an already sopping course. Awesome (side note: with lightning still very visible in the area, everyone headed back on the course as soon as the rain stopped. Since no one died, it was funny). Third, after audibling to Coyote Creek because of the aforementioned rain delay, I long for the soulless design of Dick Nugent housing development courses. Uneven lies galore? Check. Super tight tee shots? Check. A weird mix of really short par 4s that are more than a little tricked out and ultra long par 4s that are as equally tricked out as the short holes? Check. Greens running possibly twice as fast as the ones at Vista? Again, another reason to avoid Prairie Vista. Fourth, when I say I'm walking in Chicago area courses and pro shop attendants look at me funny, it's more comedic than anything else. On the other hand, when I tell the pro shop attendant I'm walking at a course I've never played before and he replies, "We don't get folks like you here," I should take that to heart. I guess Coyote Creek is technically walkable in that Bear and I successfully finished the round without dying or pulling a muscle. However, walking probably cost me two or three strokes a side. To anyone thinking about playing there, it's all ravines (think Cog 2 on steroids, HGH, and Deer Antler Spray) so take the cart. Pushing a Clicgear up and down those things on every hole gets old.

Anyway, poor judgment complaint aside, I played well at Vista and shot a 74 before eeking out a 79 at Coyote Creek.

Piretti Cottonwood II

There were lots of takeaways from today's double. First, if you're in the Bloomington area, avoid Prairie Vista for quite a while. They've completely lost the greens because of the dollar spot fungus. Did that stop them from overwatering the entire course overnight? It did not. Second, what happened to clear weather in Bloomington weather guy? We sat through a 90 minute rain delay where it proceeded to dump almost 1.5 inches of rain on an already sopping course. Awesome (side note: with lightning still very visible in the area, everyone headed back on the course as soon as the rain stopped. Since no one died, it was funny). Third, after audibling to Coyote Creek because of the aforementioned rain delay, I long for the soulless design of Dick Nugent housing development courses. Uneven lies galore? Check. Super tight tee shots? Check. A weird mix of really short par 4s that are more than a little tricked out and ultra long par 4s that are as equally tricked out as the short holes? Check. Greens running possibly twice as fast as the ones at Vista? Again, another reason to avoid Prairie Vista. Fourth, when I say I'm walking in Chicago area courses and pro shop attendants look at me funny, it's more comedic than anything else. On the other hand, when I tell the pro shop attendant I'm walking at a course I've never played before and he replies, "We don't get folks like you here," I should take that to heart. I guess Coyote Creek is technically walkable in that Bear and I successfully finished the round without dying or pulling a muscle. However, walking probably cost me two or three strokes a side. To anyone thinking about playing there, it's all ravines (think Cog 2 on steroids, HGH, and Deer Antler Spray) so take the cart. Pushing a Clicgear up and down those things on every hole gets old.

Anyway, poor judgment complaint aside, I played well at Vista and shot a 74 before eeking out a 79 at Coyote Creek.

That's why people give weathermen a bad rap... Woodstock was glorious this afternoon, just a little morning drizzle on the chicago area on the drive out and on the front nine and the sun actually came out on the back nine. Of course we were a few beers deep at that point so the sun didn't shine on our games but ah what a day. Hope to head out to the USSWO tomorrow. Pics look great, D.

... I played with Jerry Taft about 20 yrs ago and asked him about weather prediction accuracy. He said with todays meteorlogical equipment, he can tell you what is going to happen in the next hour with great accuracy. He could give me a pretty good educated guess as what is going to happen later that evening. He could give me another educated guess as what is going to happen tomorrow but would not feel confident in that prediction. Lastly he said for 5 days in advance he had no f*cking clue and it is a joke and he tried to do away with it, but viewers companied and that experiment did not last long.

... He said the Great Lakes and the jet stream combine for very volatile weather patterns and traveling at 200 mph, if the jet stream reduces or increases by 20 mph in either direction (which evidently happens a lot) the weather pattern changes completely. Some other areas of the country are easier to predict but northern Illinois/Indiana is just very difficult. I do see current weather folk sometimes say "we ran several different models and our best guess is ..." I imagine they run models with the jet stream at different speeds and estimate the patterns that would occur. When I spent 6 weeks in Phoenix this past March/April I was amazed at how accurate the forecasts were.

Played Harborside Starboard yesterday. First time there and I think it’s an amazing course. Good views and a lot different then the courses I have played. They really really like sand there. Greens seemed a little slow but they rolled well, and there wasn’t a crazy amount of ball marks, which was a nice change from the norm. I definitely want to go and play Port this year but it doesn’t seem like my group is very interested. The over an hour ride is their main complaint. This afternoon I’m going to play at Cinder Ridge or Nettle Creek, I’m leaving that up to the other guys. And I will be heading to Budget golf shortly. A shame to hear that they’re closing.

WITB

Ping G430 max 10.5° w/ Ventus blue 70x

Cobra Darkspeed 4 wood w/ 

Kai'li white 70X

Cobra Darkspeed 20° hybrid w/ hzrdus gen4 black 90X

Cobra King tour 4-w with KBS C-taper 130X

Vokey SM9s 50,54,60

Bettinardi inovi 6.0 hive skull and bones

-prov1x

... I played with Jerry Taft about 20 yrs ago and asked him about weather prediction accuracy. He said with todays meteorlogical equipment, he can tell you what is going to happen in the next hour with great accuracy. He could give me a pretty good educated guess as what is going to happen later that evening. He could give me another educated guess as what is going to happen tomorrow but would not feel confident in that prediction. Lastly he said for 5 days in advance he had no f*cking clue and it is a joke and he tried to do away with it, but viewers companied and that experiment did not last long.

... He said the Great Lakes and the jet stream combine for very volatile weather patterns and traveling at 200 mph, if the jet stream reduces or increases by 20 mph in either direction (which evidently happens a lot) the weather pattern changes completely. Some other areas of the country are easier to predict but northern Illinois/Indiana is just very difficult. I do see current weather folk sometimes say "we ran several different models and our best guess is ..." I imagine they run models with the jet stream at different speeds and estimate the patterns that would occur. When I spent 6 weeks in Phoenix this past March/April I was amazed at how accurate the forecasts were.

Bagging on weather people is low-hanging fruit. As soon as I got out of the car I knew it was going to rain based strictly on how heavy the air felt. The humidity was as high as it could possibly be without it raining. I was in a nice groove when the inclement westher hit though, and to wait an hour and a half to get going again was a downer. Tack on the fact that birdies were so few and far between that round with the greens as bad as they were (Bear and I only had one each) and I was worried it would be tough to recover. Much ado about nothing, as it turned out.

Piretti Cottonwood II

... True dat. I lived in Columbus Ga for 2 years back in my DJ days an had a small ski boat on a lake there. In the summer it would rain every afternoon with insanely high humidity over this huge lake, sometimes pour for 5 minutes and it was over. Thankfully I did not play golf back then, although our station owner was the President of Columbus CC and we had free playing privileges I never took advantage of. Talk about young and ignorant.

Played Bethpage Black today. Solid course. Reminded me of a better Cog Hill #4. It wasn't as hard as I expected. But can see where it could be very difficult. Greens are well protected. Shot a 41-38 79. It was a pretty good/tiring walk and the course was in great shape. Played with 3 other singles and it was probably the best random group I've played with, by my calculations 3 of us broke 80 and one was low 80s. Definitely recommend if anyone goes it to New York, well worth $150 (only $30 more than 7 Bridges peak rate ??‍♂️)

Played two awesome venues this weekend with Flossmoor CC on Saturday followed up with a very early wake up call this morning to be one of the first groups out on Blackstone. Flossmoor is as good as it gets. Awesome design with no two holes alike. Par 4's that stretched to 460 yards and challenging par 3's from 200 to 100 yards. We were delayed by the rain a bit and played the first few holes in it but the rain had no impact on the course and the greens did nothing but speed up during the day. Bunkers were immaculate, green complexes made a missed green no easy up and down. If challenged to come up with something to improve about the course, they need to make each new caddie watch Caddyshack before they let them out to loop. After talking with our caddies, I asked one of them if he did drugs and he said "Well Sir, I am on certain medications to help with some things." No...the proper answer is every day.

Seriously phenomenal day at Flossmoor.

Blackstone was Blackstone. You've read it 100 times...great course, great conditions, great greens. For the first time this year mosquitos were a pain in the arse but hey, it's July, we had a boatload of rain, what to expect. I will add that Blackstone has new sand in all the bunkers and they were a delight to play from. I spend enough time in the bunkers today that my shoes looked like they were at the beach for the day.

Played two awesome venues this weekend with Flossmoor CC on Saturday followed up with a very early wake up call this morning to be one of the first groups out on Blackstone. Flossmoor is as good as it gets. Awesome design with no two holes alike. Par 4's that stretched to 460 yards and challenging par 3's from 200 to 100 yards. We were delayed by the rain a bit and played the first few holes in it but the rain had no impact on the course and the greens did nothing but speed up during the day. Bunkers were immaculate, green complexes made a missed green no easy up and down. If challenged to come up with something to improve about the course, they need to make each new caddie watch Caddyshack before they let them out to loop. After talking with our caddies, I asked one of them if he did drugs and he said "Well Sir, I am on certain medications to help with some things." No...the proper answer is every day.

Blackstone was Blackstone. You've read it 100 times...great course, great conditions, great greens. For the first time this year mosquitos were a pain in the arse but hey, it's July, we had a boatload of rain, what to expect. I will add that Blackstone has new sand in all the bunkers and they were a delight to play from. I spend enough time in the bunkers today that my shoes looked like they were at the beach for the day.

will be playing blackstone tomorrow!

If you find any KSigs with a red stripe, take care of them. They came from an abused home.

IMO, Cinder Ridge is a much better course than Nettle Creek. I'm not knocking NC.

I agree, but Cinder Ridge is my kryptonite. I played well at Harborside yesterday, but I couldn’t get anything done at Cinder Ridge. I think that’s why I like it there, because it tortures me haha.

IMO, Cinder Ridge is a much better course than Nettle Creek. I'm not knocking NC.

I agree, but Cinder Ridge is my kryptonite. I played well at Harborside yesterday, but I couldn’t get anything done at Cinder Ridge. I think that’s why I like it there, because it tortures me haha.

WITB

Ping G430 max 10.5° w/ Ventus blue 70x

Cobra Darkspeed 4 wood w/ 

Kai'li white 70X

Cobra Darkspeed 20° hybrid w/ hzrdus gen4 black 90X

Cobra King tour 4-w with KBS C-taper 130X

Vokey SM9s 50,54,60

Bettinardi inovi 6.0 hive skull and bones

-prov1x

If you find any KSigs with a red stripe, take care of them. They came from an abused home.

I found one of those at Oak Grove last year. I figured it was yours but didn’t want to be weird. Well, now it’s out there.

Piretti Cottonwood II