2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Ruffled feathers this morning. With the exception of sporadic drizzle, the weather cooperated nicely. Due to the rain, it was cart path only, which made for a rather long round (although we didn’t have to wait more than a minute or two, and the foursome behind us disappeared after few holes, never to be seen again). Course is in average condition, the greens while pretty beat up were surprisingly quick and rolled true. Another miserable day on the greens - 1 4 putt and couple 3 jacks. Missed at least 5 putts inside 5’ including 1 from 1.5’. I think the medical term for this is Yips?

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

After 3 attempts, I finally got a chance to tee it up at Whittaker Woods in New Buffalo. They don't take tee times for singles, and the last two times I dropped by they didn't have an opening. It was basically wide open today, and I made it around in 2:30 after starting on the 10th tee. I got lucky with the weather on the Michigan side of the lake, as the rain held off all round.

I thought it was a decent layout, with plenty of variety in the holes. The greens were fairly challenging. I liked the isolated feel of the course. You only see one or two adjacent holes throughout the round. What's with the $90 green fee, though? The course is a $60 course at best. Conditions were decent, although like most places the bunkers were very wet. The greens were slow in the early morning dampness, but quickened throughout the round.

Very mediocre day ballstriking. The driver was cooperating, but my irons were all over the place. The putter was white hot, though. I had birdies of 15, 18, and 42 feet.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

After 3 attempts, I finally got a chance to tee it up at Whittaker Woods in New Buffalo. They don't take tee times for singles, and the last two times I dropped by they didn't have an opening. It was basically wide open today, and I made it around in 2:30 after starting on the 10th tee. I got lucky with the weather on the Michigan side of the lake, as the rain held off all round.

I thought it was a decent layout, with plenty of variety in the holes. The greens were fairly challenging. I liked the isolated feel of the course. You only see one or two adjacent holes throughout the round. What's with the $90 green fee, though? The course is a $60 course at best. Conditions were decent, although like most places the bunkers were very wet. The greens were slow in the early morning dampness, but quickened throughout the round.

Very mediocre day ballstriking. The driver was cooperating, but my irons were all over the place. The putter was white hot, though. I had birdies of 15, 18, and 42 feet.

I felt the same about the price. I think with it being the closest course to downtown New Buffalo that raises the price a bit. Fun course but a little expensive.

Played Foxford on Saturday and was a bit disappointed with the conditions. Numerous brown patches in the fairways and the greens were full of ball marks. It's so sad to see a course with the potential of Foxford not be in great condition.

And I'll make my annual plea for them to do something with the 16th green. They need to tear that green up, start all over and then put fans back there so that the air can circulate and keep the green healthy. We watched putts and chips roll all the way off the green. We even high wedge shots that hit the front rolled out to the back or off the green in total.

Unfixed pitch marks, unfilled divots, and unraked bunkers seems to be the order of the day lately. It seems the higher end courses are the worst. I guess players expect course workers to follow them around when they pay a high greens fee?

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Played Foxford on Saturday and was a bit disappointed with the conditions. Numerous brown patches in the fairways and the greens were full of ball marks. It's so sad to see a course with the potential of Foxford not be in great condition.

And I'll make my annual plea for them to do something with the 16th green. They need to tear that green up, start all over and then put fans back there so that the air can circulate and keep the green healthy. We watched putts and chips roll all the way off the green. We even high wedge shots that hit the front rolled out to the back or off the green in total.

Did they let you walk Foxford? I went once a few years ago, and they wouldn’t let me.

I think a lot of the local courses are suffering from the same “perfect storm” (pun intended) of rain and heat. They all to have the same dead patches.

Played Bolingbrook Golf Club today. Course is in pretty good shape, was pretty wet in some spots, but with the rain we've had it's to be expected. I really liked the layout and some of the holes were pretty cool, gotta love a good island green par 3!! I think it's the best practice area that I have been too, Mistwood taking a close second. And I've been debating joining a club and because of location, Mistwood and Bolingbrook are the two That I am debating between. Going to try and get out again tomorrow but I am not sure where I will end up playing.

... I can tell you from my experience, living in Bolingbrook and playing Bolingbrook GC since its opening, the conditions have always been hit or miss. More often than not, the greens have a ton of ball marks, often over watered and the tee boxes can get a little ratty too. But I agree with everything else you said. Some really cool holes and a few silly holes, especially a par 5 with a blind green that slopes away from you and anything middle to right will always roll off the green. Practice area is just bomb and on the days when the conditions are good, it is a very enjoyable course to play, even with the crook of a mayor's office in the clubhouse. ; ) I have only played t about 10 times in all the years it has been open and it os very close to my home, so that says something. For me, it would be an easy decision for Mistwood as I love to walk and find it a better course and a better walk.

Well I played Mistwood today. A very rare occasion that I can play during the week. Got paired up at the first tee which doesn’t bother me at all, I don’t like playing by myself. Course is in pretty good shape. Their greens are tough. Multi level greens and poor approach shots make for three putts... despite me not playing the best, it was still a fun round. And now that I’ve played both courses within a couple days of each other, I’m going to talk to Mistwood about becoming a member. A better course and a lot of options for lessons, club works, etc... Bolingbrooks practice area is awesome, but one of Mistwoods employees pointed out that there are three holes that you can play in a “loop” if you had limited time after work. And before Mistwood was even a course, I fished that lake with my dad and grandfather when it was the Minus 300 club so it has some sentimental memories there.

WITB TBD for ‘24

Did they let you walk Foxford? I went once a few years ago, and they wouldn’t let me.

I think a lot of the local courses are suffering from the same “perfect storm” (pun intended) of rain and heat. They all to have the same dead patches.

Regarding the dollar spot dead grass, not every course has it. Chalet Hills is literally right across the street from Foxford and it was completely green. Dollar spot develops and thrives when the top of the grass is wet and the roots are dry. It certainly could happen at random locations (it sure as he!! got my parents' front yard) but my hypothesis is that some greenskeepers knew how to either prevent it or immediately treat it and others either didn't or it got out of hand so fast they just threw up their hands and figured they'd let everything die over next winter anyway. It doesn't really affect playability so it's strictly an aesthetic thing.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Regarding the dollar spot dead grass, not every course has it. Chalet Hills is literally right across the street from Foxford and it was completely green. Dollar spot develops and thrives when the top of the grass is wet and the roots are dry. It certainly could happen at random locations (it sure as he!! got my parents' front yard) but my hypothesis is that some greenskeepers knew how to either prevent it or immediately treat it and others either didn't or it got out of hand so fast they just threw up their hands and figured they'd let everything die over next winter anyway. It doesn't really affect playability so it's strictly an aesthetic thing.

This was my opinion as well. Looked a little odd in spots, but for the most part the course was pretty green. Just weird dried out looking veins throughout the course, but they played just fine. Greens were a bit spotty though, but that could have been from the soft conditions.

They did let us walk, but we had to pay full riding rate.

This was my opinion as well. Looked a little odd in spots, but for the most part the course was pretty green. Just weird dried out looking veins throughout the course, but they played just fine. Greens were a bit spotty though, but that could have been from the soft conditions.

They did let us walk, but we had to pay full riding rate.

Thankfully we had the coupon for the better rate.

I played Bittersweet this morning. I’m currently waiting in line at the Toll Road Oasis because getting iPass stuff fixed has apparently become comparable to going to the DMV. What better place to post a round recap? Bittersweet was in pretty good shape and I didn’t see any dead spots. However, they had recently punched 5 or 6 greens on the front. I’m guessing that was to combat the fungus since I don’t think they’d only punch 1/3 of the greens for no reason. Gotta let the roots breathe. This was another course I hadn’t played in a couple of years (in this case, it was because Bittersweet was washed out last year after 7 inches of rain in one day last July) and I forgot how tricky some of the holes are. No birdies and four bogies = 76.

I’d say this will be a sign of things to come regarding greens and July/August punching. That seems like the only solution if courses don’t want to wait until next Spring.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Played Prairie Bluff today. Ball was just jumping off the driver and irons. Shot a 79 which is the only time I have broken 80 twice in 1 year. Missed 3 short birdie putts to boot. I knew it was my day when I topped 2 shots in a row on a par 5 and had my putt for a par lip out. Never thought I would ever say this but I could have easily shot a 75/76. My best ever is a 78 I had earlier in the year.

15 hcp

Played Prairie Bluff today. Ball was just jumping off the driver and irons. Shot a 79 which is the only time I have broken 80 twice in 1 year. Missed 3 short birdie putts to boot. I knew it was my day when I topped 2 shots in a row on a par 5 and had my putt for a par lip out. Never thought I would ever say this but I could have easily shot a 75/76. My best ever is a 78 I had earlier in the year.

I’ve been wanting to play there, it’s pretty close to work and looks like my kind of course from route 53(no trees haha)

WITB TBD for ‘24

I've been wanting to play there, it's pretty close to work and looks like my kind of course from route 53(no trees haha)

Course is usually in very good condition, There are some challenging holes but most holes are relatively easy especially when hitting the driver.. It's definitely a course one should check out esp. if you live in the area.

15 hcp

Hey Jim...they let us walk but charged the full rate of course.

Playing Harborside today. Which course is better?

I've always preferred Starboard. I believe it's less "tricked up". On the port course it seems that "good" drives can still find a lot of fairway hazards. Also, the Port's Anchor hole (par 3 15th) is a bit of a joke, even though it does look impressive. I'll take the tough par 3 13th on Starboard any day.

That said, the recently completed bunker renovation did soften Port a bit. The 12th, Treachery, isn't as brutal because they took out a number of the deep faced bunkers on the inside corner of the dogleg. The 8th is also a bit easier.

After traveling to Michigan last weekend, I'm going to be sticking close® to downtown this weekend. Oak Brook on Saturday morning, and Ravisloe on Sunday morning. Yeah, Oak Brook is nothing to rave about, but it's convenient.

Is it just me, or are you finding it difficult to find a decent tee time on the weekend mornings? Yes, I know it's the peak of the season, and the players with permanent tee times have the vast majority of the morning slots. But man, I start my search on Tuesday, and most of the courses have slots open between 6 am and 7 am, or after 10 am. Ugh. Another reason I like September golf in Chicago.

Played last night with the wife at the criminally underrated TPC Edgebrook. Or as we call it, The Land Before Time. Got there around 5, maybe 5 other people on the course. Kid behind the counter couldn't get the computer to work so I said, "sounds like free golf to me" and he said sure, let me get you a cart as well. Gotta love the apathy of Chicago park district employees. Course in great shape, no stupid grass on the tee boxes to cause friction and slow down your club. And let me tell you about the greens. So wonderfully spongey that you felt like you were bouncing when you walked on them and when you stood still it felt like there were tiny little clouds under your feet giving you a massage. Felt great after a long day of work.

Key to playing Edgebrook is to leave your putter in your car. Every putt you attempt on those greens will only make it that much harder when you play on a real green. I just bring a wedge up to the green and pull the ball off and work on chipping.

And best bonus to Edgebrook, it's a mile from SuperDawg!

Does TPC stand for Total-Piece-o-Cr*p?

Edgebrook is one of only a handful of courses in the area that I haven't played. I should probably wait until late December when the greens are frozen, and rolling at least 9.

I've been wanting to play there, it's pretty close to work and looks like my kind of course from route 53(no trees haha)

Course is usually in very good condition, There are some challenging holes but most holes are relatively easy especially when hitting the driver.. It's definitely a course one should check out esp. if you live in the area.

... I know you and I are in the minority here, but Prairie Bluff is probably my favorite golf course when all things are considered. Cost, lay out, condition, proximity, ease of walking and difficulty, especially when the wind blows.

1-4-5-6-8-9-10-15-18 are all relatively easy holes if the wind isn't howling. Although bunkers are more penal than most courses.

2-11-12-13-16 can be deceptively difficult because of the very thick and deep grass surrounding the bunkers that are much worse than the bunkers themselves.

3-7-16 can be very difficult especially into the wind. Pin placement on 3 can be brutal when on the front shelf or just off the ridge dividing the front and back.

Water comes into play on 8 holes, again especially if the wind is blowing strong, which it usually is. The tree on 14 is such a unique design on a links style course and calls for a perfect tee shot. And that thin green when the pin is up front also demands an almost perfect shot as anything a hair right or left will find the bunker or steep hill.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Does TPC stand for Total-Piece-o-Cr*p?

Edgebrook is one of only a handful of courses in the area that I haven't played. I should probably wait until late December when the greens are frozen, and rolling at least 9.

Don't sleep on Edgebrook. Same price as Billy Caldwell but twice the holes!

Fairways so hard I had a couple drives roll out to 250!

... I know you and I are in the minority here, but Prairie Bluff is probably my favorite golf course when all things are considered. Cost, lay out, condition, proximity, ease of walking and difficulty, especially when the wind blows.

1-4-5-6-8-9-10-15-18 are all relatively easy holes if the wind isn't howling. Although bunkers are more penal than most courses.

2-11-12-13-16 can be deceptively difficult because of the very thick and deep grass surrounding the bunkers that are much worse than the bunkers themselves.

3-7-16 can be very difficult especially into the wind. Pin placement on 3 can be brutal when on the front shelf or just off the ridge dividing the front and back.

Water comes into play on 8 holes, again especially if the wind is blowing strong, which it usually is. The tree on 14 is such a unique design on a links style course and calls for a perfect tee shot. And that thin green when the pin is up front also demands an almost perfect shot as anything a hair right or left will find the bunker or steep hill.

I totally agree. For a change, the wind was a not a factor yesterday. I avoided all the nasties out there .

15 hcp

After traveling to Michigan last weekend, I'm going to be sticking close® to downtown this weekend. Oak Brook on Saturday morning, and Ravisloe on Sunday morning. Yeah, Oak Brook is nothing to rave about, but it's convenient.

Is it just me, or are you finding it difficult to find a decent tee time on the weekend mornings? Yes, I know it's the peak of the season, and the players with permanent tee times have the vast majority of the morning slots. But man, I start my search on Tuesday, and most of the courses have slots open between 6 am and 7 am, or after 10 am. Ugh. Another reason I like September golf in Chicago.

It’s not just you. I started looking for courses for this weekend on Tuesday as well and tons of places had nothing until after 1:00. I prefer the first round be super early (pre-7:00 AM) to avoid traffic and guarantee Bear and I can walk in 3 hours. We had to book at Brighton Dale to get an early time though.

Piretti Cottonwood II

I start looking 2 weeks in advance to book our group as it's up to 3-foursomes. Next Saturday Bartlett Hills has an outing, Schaumburg has nothing open until Noon-ish...guess this is peak outing time. Had to book Palatine Hills with possibly the worst driving range in the history of mankind. The course isn't all bad though.

Trekking to Oak Grove this Saturday. 9 ish tee time...will leave tonight around 8.