2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

George Dunne this morning. Couldn’t ask for a better weather. Finished in probably 4:45, but to be honest it didn’t even feel this long. Course was pretty much as expected - overall decent, with some dead patches here and there and the bunkers were... there, as always. The greens were rolling pretty nice (we teed off at ~7:30) but were definitely on a slow side. Game is still MIA - had some great shots (blue tees - after the drive, had 105 to the back pin on 18), only to 3-jack it for a bogey. Pulled a “Phil”, onlly with the putter - left my useless 3h in the car and gave my Ping Anser some much needed company in the form of my old Cleveland mallet. Still couldn’t make a putt to save my life, but at least I wasn’t shaking over 2-3 footers.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Played Bolingbrook today. Driver was a little looser then normal but I still kept them in play. But a mixture of the greens being rough and deceiving I couldn’t make a putt to save my life. Had a couple three putt bogies which really hurt. And missed a 4 foot birdie putt which really takes away any confidence. Lots of ball marks and I swear guys must of been dragging their feet because of all the spike drag marks.

WITB TBD for ‘24

Playing The Preserve on Sunday...the fishing bug bit me and the little free time I have has been spent on the water.

My short game can attest to this.

Any update on conditions?

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Playing The Preserve on Sunday...the fishing bug bit me and the little free time I have has been spent on the water.

Everyone I talk to says the preserve is an absolute mess. It's really a shame...

Bummer! We have tee times early Saturday. To be determined.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Sometimes it does pay to ho, lol.

As ld mentioned in his always riveting round recaps, my G25 driver busted on the 11th tee at Midlane on Saturday. I hit just an awful slice and felt instantly that something wasn’t right. As I went to look at the club head and I heard this rattle and realized that the back weight was inside the club.

I’m not a club thrower or slammer and I very much baby my equipment, so I’m not sure what happened here. Or, how the weight ended up inside the club instead of flying out.

Anyways, fortuitous I decided to buy a G400 Max a few weeks ago and it just arrived from Ping. Wonderful timing, as I have vacation starting on Wednesday for the next week and a half and will be playing a ton of golf over that period.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

The two most recent Google reviews on The Preserve

From 2 days ago...

"The layout was good but this course is beat. It's in terrible shape. Fairways are like runways, massive amounts of ground under repair. The greens are incredibly fast which isn't bad but I haven't seen greens with spike marks in over 20 years. This course has them. It's definitely not worth the money. If you want a course that's challenging, beautiful and well maintained try Heritage Bluffs. It's a drive but worth the trip."

From 2 weeks ago...

"Played here Sunday 7/7/18. Paid full greens fee of 85.00 (plus 4.00 for range balls which is insulting). I have played this golf course 5 times since last year including twice earlier this year. Course was always in great shape and playable. This last time I played the golf course was in HORRIBLE condition. There was ground under repair on almost every hole. The front run up to the 18th green was completely baked. Hard pan dirt and no grass at all. I do not know whats going on here but something is very wrong with this golf course right now. I wont be back unless conditions improve drastically."

Recent adventures from a thousand miles away...

[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

From 2 days ago...

"The layout was good but this course is beat. It's in terrible shape. Fairways are like runways, massive amounts of ground under repair. The greens are incredibly fast which isn't bad but I haven't seen greens with spike marks in over 20 years. This course has them. It's definitely not worth the money. If you want a course that's challenging, beautiful and well maintained try Heritage Bluffs. It's a drive but worth the trip."

From 2 weeks ago...

"Played here Sunday 7/7/18. Paid full greens fee of 85.00 (plus 4.00 for range balls which is insulting). I have played this golf course 5 times since last year including twice earlier this year. Course was always in great shape and playable. This last time I played the golf course was in HORRIBLE condition. There was ground under repair on almost every hole. The front run up to the 18th green was completely baked. Hard pan dirt and no grass at all. I do not know whats going on here but something is very wrong with this golf course right now. I wont be back unless conditions improve drastically."

Eeek! That aint good.

[size=3]BOOM![/size]

More reviews on TP...

https://www.golfadvisor.com/courses/5003-the-preserve-at-oak-meadows/

From 2 days ago...

From 2 weeks ago...

Eeek! That aint good.

You'd shoot 75 playing a course on the runways at O'Hare.

From 2 days ago...

From 2 weeks ago...

I'm going to avoid this course for the rest of the year but one sliver of hope is that everyone says the new layout is really good. I'm hoping it's just some early reno growing pains but we shall see. I hit balls on the range and did some short game work several weeks back and the place looks the part. Just need the conditions to drastically improve and they may be onto something.

From 2 days ago...

From 2 weeks ago...

I'm going to avoid this course for the rest of the year but one sliver of hope is that everyone says the new layout is really good. I'm hoping it's just some early reno growing pains but we shall see. I hit balls on the range and did some short game work several weeks back and the place looks the part. Just need the conditions to drastically improve and they may be onto something.

There are 2 potential issues with the Preserve. The re-design, with the routing of Salt Creek, new "pools" and wetlands areas was supposed to allow for an additional 20,000,000 gallons of water to be accomodated which is the proverbial 100 year storm. Last spring before the course opened we had one of those such rains. There were pics of the course almost completely covered in water. Although Greg Martin won awards for the re-design, I'm not sure it's worked as described. There are still collection areas like the 18th fairway that weren't touched and are always issues.

Then you get to the other potential issues and that's the ongoing maintenance. It's hard to know how the super is at addressing these issues but if it's the same super as the old Oak Meadows, you might be seeing the same results.

It's sad because the layout of the course has so much potential.

The recent reviews are spot on. Great layout, awesome sand, but the course is beat to hell. Greens were consistent and in decent shape considering we played it at 12:30 but the fairways are pretty bad. It’s a damn shame. I hope they figure it out and get it back because I would definitely play there much more often.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

I’m not surprised at the reviews based on how bad the conditions were, and I’m not surprised that they will continue to be bad reviews even if the course starts to recover (takes time to overcome bad perceptions)

I’ve watched salt creek water levels since last year and the course stays dry compared to pre-renovation, Which would have been flooded at those same levels

Hopefully the super can get control the conditions

I’m rooting for the guys there, because as has been said, the place has amazing potential

DPelz, thanks for posting the reviews,

So, looks like you chose not to play there based on the reviews? Is that right?

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

It’s 9min away from work so I’m definitely rooting for them to get it figured out and get the fairways back.

Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

My mistake DPelz4, I confused you with Scratch who posted he was going to play there yesterday

TM TP5x

We pulled The Preserve out of the rota of courses we play for our season. We played it last year and everyone liked the design it's just that there are so many well conditioned courses in our area that it'd be a waste to play it. Wonder if there is any finger pointing going on between Martin and the DuPage County folks. I saw he's just signed on to work on the 2 NaperVegas courses coming up.

We pulled The Preserve out of the rota of courses we play for our season. We played it last year and everyone liked the design it's just that there are so many well conditioned courses in our area that it'd be a waste to play it. Wonder if there is any finger pointing going on between Martin and the DuPage County folks. I saw he's just signed on to work on the 2 NaperVegas courses coming up.

No Finger pointing that i’m aware of

The renovation has been a success from a storm water retention point of view

I don’t think architects typically are implicated for turf problems

Grass problems on 18? That’s the highest point on the course

The holes with grass issues seemed to be evenly distributed, not showing any dependence on hole location with respect to how close to the salt creek restoration/wetland creation work

My mistake DPelz4, I confused you with Scratch who posted he was going to play there yesterday

No worries...it happens all the time when the two of us are together. People see a young handsome buck who hit the ball a ton and an old Polish guy who can't hit it a lick these days. Easy to be confused.

Lol

TM TP5x

No Finger pointing that i'm aware of

I don't think architects typically are implicated for turf problems

Grass problems on 18? That's the highest point on the course

The holes with grass issues seemed to be evenly distributed, not showing any dependence on hole location with respect to how close to the salt creek restoration/wetland creation work

No worries...it happens all the time when the two of us are together. People see a young handsome buck who hit the ball a ton and an old Polish guy who can't hit it a lick these days. Easy to be confused.

Lol

The tee box on 18 hits down to a low spot on the course and then it goes back up to the green. The 18th fairway has had issues for years and years but I don't think that was an area that Martin addressed.

No Finger pointing that i'm aware of

I don't think architects typically are implicated for turf problems

Grass problems on 18? That's the highest point on the course

Lol

The tee box on 18 hits down to a low spot on the course and then it goes back up to the green. The 18th fairway has had issues for years and years but I don't think that was an area that Martin addressed.

I have thoughts on this but I’m not going to bore everyone with them.

Hopefully they can get it turned around and get the grass grown in. Would be a shame to have that work done only to have it never get to optimum conditions.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Well, I’m not as young as one might think. Just good Asian genes!

G, On a side note I just got my taste in JDM fishing gear. Wife thinks fishing will be a less expensive hobby than golf.

Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Heading back to Pure Michigan for a repeat of our 2 day trip in June. Cedar Chase and Pilgrim's Run on Wednesday and Hemlock and Hawkshead on Thursday. Hawkshead was the least impressive of the four in June based on the holes we saw (only got the front nine in because the back was closed due to flooding) but we're only paying half price because of the rain check we got. Might as well use it. Next summer we'll replace it with Thornapple.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Heading back to Pure Michigan for a repeat of our 2 day trip in June. Cedar Chase and Pilgrim's Run on Wednesday and Hemlock and Hawkshead on Thursday. Hawkshead was the least impressive of the four in June based on the holes we saw (only got the front nine in because the back was closed due to flooding) but we're only paying half price because of the rain check we got. Might as well use it. Next summer we'll replace it with Thornapple.

How is Pilgrim's run? I have thought about making the trip out there.

Pilgrim's is excellent. It's a woodlands layout with very little repetition until the end of the round (the last two holes are both short par 4s). Each hole is relatively isolated and, at $59, it's quite affordable. The greens were a little on the slow side when we were there in June but it had rained a lot in the days before our round. They should definitely run closer to 10. Other than green speeds, my only critique is that it's a par 73. With all that space they could have easily made a very interesting par 3. VNutz said it was because the course was designed by three different people and each took 6 holes, which I can see in hindsight. The maintenance is outstanding and it's got the type of woodlands holes we just can't find in the Chcago area. That said, if you're up there, drive the 90 minutes northwest to Ludington and play Hemlock as well. Pilgrim's is great but Hemlock has everything. Dunes, forced carries, woodlands, marshes, elevation change, total isolation on every hole. And it's much cheaper. Bear and I walked it on a weekday for $30. In Chicago - not that we would get that type of terrain anyway - it would be a $100 course.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Well, I’m not as young as one might think. Just good Asian genes!

G, On a side note I just got my taste in JDM fishing gear. Wife thinks fishing will be a less expensive hobby than golf. ������

Haha! She’s in for a big surprise ???. I got back into fishing 3 years ago and “started” with an Ugly Stick and a small box of lures. Fast forward 3 years - I’m up to probably 15 rods and reels and 3 bags full of lures ?. Unfortunately, due to the new found addiction my golf game has gone downhill. Today was probably the first time in 2 years where I actually went to the driving range to hit some balls - and actually bought couple new wedges (Wilson FG Tour PMP). My lob wedge may or may not be picking mushrooms in the forest preserve surrounding George Dunne ?‍♂️.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

I've played Oak Meadows twice this year (and had never played before). The first time was early in the year and I thought I had a future lock for a place to play 5-10 rounds a year. After the second time, I would not even go back unless I hear that conditions have drastically changed. The fairways were dirt, literally hardpan dirt.

Once you get to the point where the majority of courses around the NW suburbs are $50-$80; it just isn't worth it to play an Oak Meadows or Fox Run when you can go to Schaumburg or Hilldale and have conditions that are exponentially better. I realized this years ago and have tried to stick to it.

By the way, playing Harbor Shores and Whittaker Woods this weekend. Any advice or thoughts on these two (playing both for the first time)?

Pilgrim's is excellent. It's a woodlands layout with very little repetition until the end of the round (the last two holes are both short par 4s). Each hole is relatively isolated and, at $59, it's quite affordable. The greens were a little on the slow side when we were there in June but it had rained a lot in the days before our round. They should definitely run closer to 10. Other than green speeds, my only critique is that it's a par 73. With all that space they could have easily made a very interesting par 3. VNutz said it was because the course was designed by three different people and each took 6 holes, which I can see in hindsight. The maintenance is outstanding and it's got the type of woodlands holes we just can't find in the Chcago area. That said, if you're up there, drive the 90 minutes northwest to Ludington and play Hemlock as well. Pilgrim's is great but Hemlock has everything. Dunes, forced carries, woodlands, marshes, elevation change, total isolation on every hole. And it's much cheaper. Bear and I walked it on a weekday for $30. In Chicago - not that we would get that type of terrain anyway - it would be a $100 course.

Thanks for the rundown. May check it out in August.

By the way, playing Harbor Shores and Whittaker Woods this weekend. Any advice or thoughts on these two (playing both for the first time)?

I played both 10 days ago. HS is a Jack Nicklaus design. I don't think you'll find more challenging greens within 100 miles of Chicago. The par 5 10th's green is a multi-tier monster. There's plenty of trouble off the tee, so don't be afraid to dial it back. I think it's a fair course provided you can negotiate the greens.

WW is a fairly straightforward woodland course. Many of the holes are bordered by thick groves of trees, so you have to keep the ball in play. There wasn't much trouble off the tee unless you were quite offline. I think there are only 6 holes with fairway bunkers. There's water on ~80% of the holes, but it really only comes into play on 30% of the holes. The greens were challenging, but no where near HS caliber.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I'll be playing Phillips Park GC for the first time this Saturday. Anything worthy to note? It looks to be a combination of prairie-style and parkland.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0