Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Are there any courses in Central Illinois between here and St. Louis that are known to stay in very good shape/good greens etc? Driving to St. Louis and was going to stop and play in a couple weekends. I have played Weaverridge a ton and am looking for something new. Conditioning is key. Doesn't have to be directly off 55, just in the vicinity of going in the right direction.

I'd look at Stone Creek and Metamora Fields.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Yesterday's finish to our return to Michigan was interesting. Hemlock remains an outstanding layout that, unfortunately, is covered in the same fungus that has creeped into so many Chicago area courses. A large portion of the facility is basically covered by a canopy so I can see this happening a lot there. However, the greens were in much better shape than when we were there in mid-June. I hit the ball very well and hit a lot of fairways. Not as many as Bear, who hit at least 11 or 12 fairways on each course we played. I'm sure he'll have the G MAX in his bag for a while but I'm equally sure it'll crack, break, or spontaneously combust at some point mid-round. Neither of us got any roll because of the moisture but that's to be expected. 76.

Both of us were pretty cooked by the time we got to Hawkshead. It's well-maintained but nothing special. Like Hemlock, the waste areas add a different dimension that we don't see around here. The parking lot was all FIB license plates, and, yes, everyone drives carts like lunatics. Stereotypes exist for a reason. My arms were like Jello so I resorted to setting up aimed way left and hitting a block on purpose off the tee. Ugly but effective. The greens were not nearly as smooth as the last time we were there and the cups clearly hadn't been moved in a while. 78.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

looking forward to playing Flossmoor tomorrow (it will be my second visit)

I may swing by the company picnic in St Charles on the way back for a free 9 (lots of driving though)

I've wanted to hit up Ravisloe for quite some time.

Maybe I can do that instead...

Flossmoor is really nice, I played it last week. There're some really good holes, some are hard, and some you can score. The greens are relatively small. 17 might be the hardest hole I've payed in a long time.

Ravisloe is one of my favorites. If you have time for 36, and that’s your only opportunity to be in the area, go for it.

I just returned from Flossmoor, and what a pleasure it is to play there.

Great greens and I just love the layout.

They had a microburst there on Wednesday afternoon that took down a tree in the 17/18 corridor, I think.

The rain took an edge off of the green speeds.

Highlight was hitting to 4 feet on the 11th par 3, and rolling in the putt for birdie.

That and par'ing the 16th (Eleanor's Teeth Bunker) again.

I almost par'ed 17. Driver, 4 wood, to pin high just off green, wedge to 5 feet, and just missed the putt.

Had lunch and had to face the 1hr 45 min ride back to Libertyville.

Ravisloe for another time.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Looking back on 16 from behind green

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

The first 18 hole course I played growing up was Fox Run since I liver close by. Hadn’t played there for 20 years, but I brought my dad out for his birthday. Short course, but there are some tight driving holes, especially 1, 2, and 4. Greens were smoother than expected. In great shape in fact. They don’t water the fairways, so they were brown, hard, and weed-free. Pace was nice and all was going well until the first par 3 on the back. It’s a relatively long par 3 and my dad pulled out his 5 wood, tried to play his patented slice, but shanked it right into the cart of our playing partner. He was about 15 feet away. It richoched off the dash and almost got him it the groin at about 100 MPH. The dude was pissed, but he cooled off. Fun day!

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

OK, are we crazy? What a day to be out on the links. I played Phillips Park for the first time this morning. Despite the heat index, it was a fun round on a nice course. I was pleasantly surprised by the elevation changes. Walking it was a different matter though. Lol. That was a workout. Even though it's a fairly short course, I thought it had a lot of character. The greens were quite challenging. Conditions were very good.

Solid round ballstriking with 10 fairways and 12 greens. Three birdies helped offset the four bogies.

I don't expect that I'll be out here again any time soon, but if I were a local I'd certainly be playing it on a regular basis.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Hot, windy and slow at The Preserve today. Birdies on 4,5,7,8 and 13 offset by bogies on 9, 15 and 17. Greens were very good and fairways were patchy in a lot of areas but overall pretty good.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

3-wood short of trap, then attempted 4-iron. Very tight tee shot.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

a wonderful sunny and clear morning.

we played a double loop on the Championship nine at Sportsman's as the main course was tied up.

even with some waits on the second lap, finished in 3:30.

number six tee - waited for a good sized hawk as it swooped down from the trees right to sweep the fairway just ahead of the tee box, then it sat right edge monitoring walkers long enough to give us a really good look. magnificent creature.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Anyone ever played St. Charles Country Club? Was sent a referral by someone and considering joining the Young Exec level as the fees are reasonable but honestly can't find much online about the 3 nines there. Unfortunately most of what I can find is regarding their wedding offerings.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

Look up esler who did the work for the new holes on the quarry land to the north

Benkusky is working there now to soften those holes and do other work

I have not played there

Those names might give you some info for a google search

TM TP5x

Look up esler who did the work for the new holes on the quarry land to the north

Benkusky is working there now to soften those holes and do other work

I have not played there

Those names might give you some info for a google search

Thanks Geo. Looking around on these have definitely helped a little. The work Benkusky did is interesting.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

Even though the wind added to this morning's challenge, it was certainly welcome, along with the cloud cover. Harborside Starboard this morning. Course was in very nice shape. The bunkers are starting to settle in, and were playing fantastic.

A solid day off the tee, but the irons were once again a little spotty. I had four scrambles for par, which helped limit the damage, but it could have been a much better day scoring. I hit some great putts, but couldn't find the hole.

Played Mistwood yesterday and today. My lesson is still making me think to much so I’m still spotty. I actually hit a couple of draws with my driver today, which is great, if I wasn’t aiming left of the fairway and expecting my normal fade. So I’ll be hitting the range harder so hopefully I get some confidence and consistency together. Course was in great shape. Hopefully next weekend it’s a little less windy. 160 yard par 3 I hit my 5 iron which is my 200 yard club about 12 foot away even with the pin. And 2 putt haha

WITB TBD for ‘24

Deer Creek and the Course at Aberdeen tomorrow. $48 for 36 holes is a great deal (though $19 for Deer Creek feels about right) so hopefully the weather holds up.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Played the Ravines last night. I hardly play there, I don't care for it all that much. But my fiance loves it and played a ton of jr golf there growing up. The layout is fun, definitely some throw away holes. But the condition is sad. It used to be a better end course, but it is like Cog has decided 1,2,3 all get the same treatment and are just focusing on #4. Which looked great btw, I walked a few of the holes and we decided we will go back this week and play 4.

Lost dinner to her, 75-77.

Spent 3 days down in Florida at Grand Cypress playing golf with 52 guys. Their Villas are incredible. The 'New Course' as they call it, is fantastic!! 200 pot bunkers. Fairways that essentially never end. A few areas of rough and fescue. So many different shots needed to score well.... especially around the greens that in parts are only 10 feet deep. Man those greens were fun. Incredible place to play if you find yourself in the Orlando area. e698fe31e4a95619a0526e237cbaf060.jpg5609ca7d1d0539a740c0456939b6dbaa.jpg0248c4230583032ecacde1580b5cac86.jpg425b6bd2741c1634688023b1dcd4026e.jpg3b2b903c3515a3bbe88fb4a5883005f3.jpg

Yeah, the New Course is great. I believe it's a Jack Nicklaus design, which explains the crazy greens. The first time I played it I had difficulty on a few holes picking a target line. It's so open in places that it's hard to locate the green. Lol.

Yeah, the New Course is great. I believe it's a Jack Nicklaus design, which explains the crazy greens. The first time I played it I had difficulty on a few holes picking a target line. It's so open in places that it's hard to locate the green. Lol.
Yeah gotta remember which flag color you are playing with those double greens! It's crazy how much the small elevation and design made distances that were like 130 yards, seem like 175.

On Saturday our group played Palatine Hills and that course is being moved to the "underrated" list. Absent the range where you're hitting off mats, the rest of the practice area is really good. The short range practice area had actual sand in the bunker...so huge points on that alone. The course itself is very interesting. It doesn't look to be overly difficult but the greens and occasional tight fairway are the defense of the course. Lots of tilt in the greens and they were slowish as compared to the practice green. There was a gentleman in the group in front that was 93 years old and plays there 3x/week. Got to watch him a few times and he hit the ball very well.

Sunday we played 7 Bridges. There are some great holes there but some that are just poorly designed. Hole 14 is around 400 yards from the green tees and a funky dogleg left. A well struck tee shot aimed at the 150 yard marker went too far and the second shot needed to be played backwards and away from the green. That doesn't make a lot of sense. There was no one out there, maybe the $86.00 rate scared them off, and we rarely saw anyone in front or behind us. The greens were is less than optimal conditions...looks like a lot of fungus permeated certain parts of the greens. Lots of credit though to the rangers, who were out checking on them and one went as far as to stop, introduce himself and ask how we were enjoying the course. The outside bar for a post round beverage might be the best of any course...great setup and just a fun environment. SB is a once every few years course...would rather play Bowes or the Highlands at a much lesser rate and much better conditions.

The outside bar for a post round beverage might be the best of any course...great setup and just a fun environment.

Ah, that bar brings back memories. Horrible ones that is. Many years ago, before SB was added to my permanent sh*t list, I hit my approach to 18, and it came up short and rolled back into the creek. I crossed over the bridge, and walked along the creek looking for my ball. I saw a ball down near the water line, and as I stepped to the edge to take a closer look the soft soil gave way. My fat a** fell into the ravine, and I was lucky to grab a handful of weeds on the way down, which prevented me from ending up in the creek itself. I wrenched my knee on the way down, which put my golf game on hold for over a month. I hauled myself out, and the front of my white shirt and khaki pants were covered in mud. The entire clown show was visible to the golfers hanging out at the outside bar, and I got a round of applause. Oy.

Did someone at least offer to buy you a beverage for the entertainment you gave them? That's the least they could have done.

I should have added to the earlier post that the bartender, Nancy, was making their "signature drink" which was something Sling and she graciously made one for our 4 some to split. Thoughtful...but less than tasty.

Sunday we played 7 Bridges. There are some great holes there but some that are just poorly designed. Hole 14 is around 400 yards from the green tees and a funky dogleg left. A well struck tee shot aimed at the 150 yard marker went too far and the second shot needed to be played backwards and away from the green. That doesn't make a lot of sense. There was no one out there, maybe the $86.00 rate scared them off, and we rarely saw anyone in front or behind us. The greens were is less than optimal conditions...looks like a lot of fungus permeated certain parts of the greens. Lots of credit though to the rangers, who were out checking on them and one went as far as to stop, introduce himself and ask how we were enjoying the course. The outside bar for a post round beverage might be the best of any course...great setup and just a fun environment. SB is a once every few years course...would rather play Bowes or the Highlands at a much lesser rate and much better conditions.

I live on seven bridges. It isn't a bad course, and conditions are usually pretty good. I walk the path during lunch a lot and there is hardly ever anyone out there. Peak rate is $130, it is a $75 course at best during peak times. I am on my balcony now and haven't seen a player pass by (rain in the area, but still). I wonder how business would be if they dropped the peak rate to $100 (still over priced), and lowered the other times as well obviously. They have a good twilight membership as well, but no range kept me from joining. I will play it 2/3 times a year, not a ton for a course I live one.

I live on seven bridges. It isn't a bad course, and conditions are usually pretty good. I walk the path during lunch a lot and there is hardly ever anyone out there. Peak rate is $130, it is a $75 course at best during peak times. I am on my balcony now and haven't seen a player pass by (rain in the area, but still). I wonder how business would be if they dropped the peak rate to $100 (still over priced), and lowered the other times as well obviously. They have a good twilight membership as well, but no range kept me from joining. I will play it 2/3 times a year, not a ton for a course I live one.

Wow, $130 to play 7B? That's gotta be the biggest rip off in Chicago area golf.

I truly think it is the most overpriced course I have ever played. Well maybe TPC Tampa.

Just looked at their website and the top rate is Saturday before 10 when it's $116. You can basically play the Highlands twice for the cost of 1 round on 7B. Plus, the Highlands doesn't have any funky holes, has a range, has a walking rate, etc.

Played Mill Creek today. Had only played there once before and I had no recollection of the course. Some very sloped greens and a few very tough pin placements. Greens were fairly smooth, but slow and burnt out on the hills. Looks like they didn’t use a pre-emergent because there was crabgrass everywhere. 18 has two blind shots and if you’ve never played that hole you have no idea what to do with your second shot. Round was a pleasure because the rain held off, I played in 3 hours, and I ended up playing with a guy that we found out we shared a mutual aquaintance.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Bear and I dropped the big bucks to play Deer Creek (rates have been jacked all the way up to $23) and the Course at Aberdeen ($29) this morning. Despite no rain, the fairways at both courses were completely drenched while the rough at each was baked out. Quite the contrast. It seemed very unnecessary and if either place starts crying poor next year, maybe they should look at cutting back their respective water bills. For a combined $49, I can't complain too much.

My ball striking was excellent at both courses and I've found a very consistent iron set. I was able to hit 8 fairways and 13 greens at Deer Creek and 13 fairways and 13 greens at Aberdeen. Despite several makable birdie putts, I made exactly zero at DC and only one at Aberdeen. However, easy two-putts make for easy pars. 75 for the first round and 72 for the second.

Oh, fun little tidbit. At the turn, a ranger informed us that a league was teeing off at 8:45. Given the fact that we teed off at 6:00, he was worried we might not finish in time. We responded by walking the back nine in 1 hour 10 minutes and were off the course by 8:25 AM.

Piretti Cottonwood II