2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1450917556' post='12757528']
[quote name='MountainKing' timestamp='1450911892' post='12757258']
Naperbrook and Springbrook finally shut it down for the season so I'll be playing my 7th round of Dec at Village Greens of Woodridge tomorrow. Looks like a lot of courses in the western burbs are finally closing shop.
[/quote]

That's fine. Anything with a grassy area resembling a tee box, and a hole in the ground with a flag is good by me. I'm probably going to suffer through a 6 hour round at George Dunne. I have a Christmas Day appointment at my Sister's in Oak Forest on Christmas morning, so I'm thinking GD may be the default choice. Lol.
[/quote]

I thought about the Dunne today but didn't want to trek out there with not knowing the status of the weather. Dunne's one of my favorite tracks in the area and I never made it out there this year, partially because of the exact reason you just mentioned, unless I can get out first I just can't sit out there for 6 hours. Same reason I avoid Big Run in mid season.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I would never try and golf on Christmas Day or Christmas Eve, it just feels wrong. I wish all the employees would be able to spend the days with their families. Kind of selfish of us to make them work.

Haven't played in well over a month and I actually miss it. 2015 was the first year I eclipsed 20 rounds in over five years... Can't wait until 2016!

Oh my DavePelz4! What is going on here? Who sent this link to me? I'm in tears! Has to be posted.

[url="https://www.portablenorthpole.com/en/player/5672e5ad7cf28-5672e5ad7cfce"]https://www.portable...8-5672e5ad7cfce[/url]

[attachment=3076564:LongDriver.jpg]

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1450941700' post='12758496']
I would never try and golf on Christmas Day or Christmas Eve, it just feels wrong. I wish all the employees would be able to spend the days with their families. Kind of selfish of us to make them work.

Haven't played in well over a month and I actually miss it. 2015 was the first year I eclipsed 20 rounds in over five years... Can't wait until 2016!
[/quote]

Christmas Day I can buy but most people these days work Christmas Eve unless they use paid time off or just take the day off unpaid. Certain industries require you to work certain days and most folks going into those industries know this. Most pro shops in the area here are open Christmas Eve regardless of weather and it's been that way for years. I worked several Eve's when I worked at a course 20+ years ago...

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

[quote name='MountainKing' timestamp='1450969802' post='12759044']

[/quote]

Christmas Day I can buy but most people these days work Christmas Eve unless they use paid time off or just take the day off unpaid. Certain industries require you to work certain days and most folks going into those industries know this. Most pro shops in the area here are open Christmas Eve regardless of weather and it's been that way for years. I worked several Eve's when I worked at a course 20+ years ago...
[/quote]

'Not to mention that there a quite a few people who don't celebrate Christmas. My dad would volunteer to work Christmas, often pulling a double shift, as it usually paid 2 to 3 times his base salary, depending on which day of his work week it fell. There was no way he was going to turn down that type of money.

I know several folks who celebrate Christmas on the eve, so the 25th is more or less another day.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[/quote]
Certain industries require you to work certain days and most folks going into those industries know this. Most pro shops in the area here are open Christmas Eve regardless of weather and it's been that way for years.
[/quote]
I disagree, but I do understand your opinion. But to me, it just comes off a bit selfish. Normally golf courses are closed this time of year and RARELY have staff there, especially on holidays. Golf course jobs are largely a full time seasonal position- bust a** spring-fall and relax during the winter.

The whole "some people don't celebrate Christmas" thing is so PC and really gets under my skin. Im not trying to come off as having a "get off my lawn" attitude or say you have to celebrate- trust me, I know their are different religions and beliefs. I get it, but without any facts whatsoever i am confident enough to say it's probably the largest celebrated holiday of the year. The staff that is there couldn't care less about "making more money for the course," they just want to spend time with their families.

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1450974317' post='12759238']

[/quote]
Certain industries require you to work certain days and most folks going into those industries know this. Most pro shops in the area here are open Christmas Eve regardless of weather and it's been that way for years.
[/quote]
I disagree, but I do understand your opinion. But to me, it just comes off a bit selfish. Normally golf courses are closed this time of year and RARELY have staff there, especially on holidays. Golf course jobs are largely a full time seasonal position- bust a** spring-fall and relax during the winter.

The whole "some people don't celebrate Christmas" thing is so PC and really gets under my skin. Im not trying to come off as having a "get off my lawn" attitude or say you have to celebrate- trust me, I know their are different religions and beliefs. I get it, but without any facts whatsoever i am confident enough to say it's probably the largest celebrated holiday of the year. The staff that is there couldn't care less about "making more money for the course," they just want to spend time with their families.
[/quote]

Yes, the vast majority of courses are closed this time of year, but a handful have been open year around for ages.

A sizable portion of the U.S. population (~[b]29 percent[/b]) is not Christian. Atheists, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Wiccans, etc. If these folks don't mind working on Christmas Day, who is anybody to say they should be home?

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Walked 18 with my old man, what a great Christmas gift this is to be able to spend the Eve with him on the golf course. He's getting up there in age and our schedules don't jive often enough so I don't get to play enough golf with the guy who taught me the game as a kid. It was Village Greens, nothing to rave about in the summer but as said here many times we're just lucky to be out there. This weather has worked perfect since there's a break in the hectic hockey season this time of year. I played a total of 7 rounds in December which is about 6 more rounds that I normally can play between Oct and March. Just a joy to be out there and we can all rest knowing the staff was scheduled to be there regardless if there were golfers. Merry Christmas to you guys!

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

[quote name='MountainKing' timestamp='1450996647' post='12760512']
Walked 18 with my old man, what a great Christmas gift this is to be able to spend the Eve with him on the golf course. He's getting up there in age and our schedules don't jive often enough so I don't get to play enough golf with the guy who taught me the game as a kid. It was Village Greens, nothing to rave about in the summer but as said here many times we're just lucky to be out there. This weather has worked perfect since there's a break in the hectic hockey season this time of year. I played a total of 7 rounds in December which is about 6 more rounds that I normally can play between Oct and March. Just a joy to be out there and we can all rest knowing the staff was scheduled to be there regardless if there were golfers. Merry Christmas to you guys!
[/quote]

Awesome! Just great to be able to move around outside without yer rear freezing.

[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

I got out to George Dunne this afternoon. I teed off just after 2 pm, and finished the round just as the sun was setting. The clouds rolled in after the first few holes, and the temperature started to drop. I noticed that it was 37 degrees when I left the course.

The course was very wet, and cart paths only. It was much greener than I expected, but the greens were quite shaggy. 'Still, no complaints with my first round ever on Christmas Day. There were quite a few cars in the parking lot when I arrived, so I wasn't the only one trying to get out today.

20151225_153720.jpg

I got out to George Dunne this afternoon. I teed off just after 2 pm, and finished the round just as the sun was setting. The clouds rolled in after the first few holes, and the temperature started to drop. I noticed that it was 37 degrees when I left the course.

The course was very wet, and cart paths only. It was much greener than I expected, but the greens were quite shaggy. 'Still, no complaints with my first round ever on Christmas Day. There were quite a few cars in the parking lot when I arrived, so I wasn't the only one trying to get out today.

20151225_153720.jpg

12th hole. Very nice.

[size=3]BOOM![/size]

[quote name='B-Man' timestamp='1450968221' post='12758994']
Oh my DavePelz4! What is going on here? Who sent this link to me? I'm in tears! Has to be posted.

[url="https://www.portablenorthpole.com/en/player/5672e5ad7cf28-5672e5ad7cfce"]https://www.portable...8-5672e5ad7cfce[/url]

[attachment=3076564:LongDriver.jpg]
[/quote]

Hahahahahahahahahahaah...

Hahahahahahahahaha....

Hahahahahahaaha...

Wow. What a crazy, wonderful season. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to play this much golf. Well, at least until retirement. However, a cooperative, albeit wet, Spring, along with an extended, mild fall, allowed the planets to align. I'm finishing the season with a personal best 110 rounds, starting with my first round on January 15th, and finishing with a local round on Christmas Day.

I played 67 different courses this year in 8 states (Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, Arizona, Florida, Ohio, and Mississippi). Of those, 45 were first time visits, with 17 being in the Chicagoland area. I've now played 120 public courses in the Chicagoland area.

My major goal for the season was to lower my index by a few points, mainly by hitting more fairways. I accomplished that goal. I started by getting fit for a driver in the early Spring, lofting up and cutting down the shaft. I also slowed down my swing, channeling Inbee Park. This allowed me to increase my fairways hit (w/ driver) from 6 to 10. As a result, my GIRs went from 8.6 to 11.2. Last year I was hitting 3 wood off the tee on 85% of the par 4's and 5's, and this year it was driver 85% of the time.

The other key change this season was swapping the 6 iron for a 6 hybrid. The added ball height and confidence with the club really added to the GIR increase.

Scrambling and putting were basically the same this year (28%, 31.5), and will be my focus next season. I simply have to make more putts inside 8 feet, and pitch/chip the ball within 3 feet more often. Par 3 scoring also remained the same (3.2), but I didn't really expect that to change. I'm very happy averaging 1 bogey or less per round.

As I noted earlier in the season, I was more consistent this year. A big factor was the improved pace of play. I can only remember a handful of slow rounds, which completely gets me off my game. I played a ton of solo rounds this year, and it allowed me to get into a rhythm that was hard to beat. My low round of the season was a 69 at Jackson Park (par 70) in October. I also had 3 rounds of 2 under (70) this year. My high score was a nasty 92 at Abbey Springs in September, where everything was off. The highlight of the year was clearly the 5 under back nine at Indian Boundary a few weeks back, with birdies on 5 of the last 6 holes. Doesn't get much better than that.

Overall, I thought the courses did a great job with conditioning this year. With the horrid winter we had in 2013/2014, and the subsequent affect on the course conditions early last season, there was really no direction to go but up.

I'm disappointed that the Chicago Park District and Cook County Forest Preserve courses have changed their booking policies to disallow singles to book online. Way to encourage people to play golf, gang.

I guess my first goal for next year will be to forget 2015, as there's really no way I can match, never mind exceed, this year. I'm expecting a more typical season, but one can hope.

Happy New Year, Gang. Here's to 2016.

:golfer::golfer::golfer:

My highlight for the 2015 season was an eagle on the 500m 16th at Settlers Run in Melbourne. Smashed a driver and then ripped 3 wood to 2 feet. All this, wait for it, in front of a crowded clubhouse balcony. :D

I also beat DP4 off the stick at Tanna Farms, one time.

Thanks for coming. See you next year.

[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Tanna Farms... not sure I've heard of it, burned from my memory I believe.

No big highlights for the year for me, no big events, no golf specific travel. If anything it was hitting the stick on the fly my 2nd into a par 5 on the first hole this summer on vacation in MI, but missed the putt. Or the hybrid to a foot on my 2nd on a par 5 at Dubs with Jim. Overall a great year though considering the weather of the years prior. Had a good hot streak in the summer that faded quickly.

But one of my favorites right now is getting out for 3 holes with my daughter on Christmas Day. :)

7CDC7022-AD04-4561-A3A7-765139F3770F.jpg

Sad to see things officially come to a close. I think the highlight for me this year is the weather & hockey schedule working together so I could get out and play some golf late into the season and ending the season with my Dad on Christmas Eve. I've enjoyed reading everybody's posts about their rounds and look forward to reading a lot more in 2016.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

[quote name='B-Man' timestamp='1451488555' post='12779876']
My highlight for the 2015 season was an eagle on the 500m 16th at Settlers Run in Melbourne. Smashed a driver and then ripped 3 wood to 2 feet. All this, wait for it, in front of a crowded clubhouse balcony. :D

[/quote]

I don't speak metric. What is 500m? Like 350 yards?

I would publicly like to thank Lefty for a tip that he shared which has made a huge improvement in my results. No, come on, nothing can help the golf swing, but Lefty did teach me the secret to making amazing gravy and since then, the family has consistently commented on the results.

So for those of you who think I never say anything nice about CL, I say try the gravy.

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1451576995' post='12784402']
[quote name='B-Man' timestamp='1451488555' post='12779876']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude, 500 miles!

[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Dude, 500 miles!

Lol. I always thought Settlers Run was on the Moon, but this confirms it.

shotseen.jpg

DP4, time to start the new 2016 thread. Close this MF down. Start afresh.

Move along. This isn't the thread you're looking for. ..

[size=3]BOOM![/size]

In case any of you cheaters sandbaggers are worried about the CDGA's take on rounds posted alone, I sent a note into their membership manager regarding the topic and received the response noted in the following thread.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1273254-chicago-district-golf-association-takes-a-position-on-rounds-played-alone/

Didn't want to post one other note though in which he did say there were exceptions such as if your name rhymed with Trivago Defty.

Saw this yesterday - I haven't played all these courses but there a few here that I agree with the author - especially the holes at Highlands, Cantigny, P Landing & Chalet

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20160101/sports/160109933/

G400 Max Ad DI 7
M3 15 degree Tensei Blue
Srixon H45 19 hybrid Tour spec 8.8
Srixon Z 565/765 Nippon 125
Vokey Forged 50F, 54M, 60J Nippon 125
Scotty Cameron X7M

Saw this yesterday - I haven't played all these courses but there a few here that I agree with the author - especially the holes at Highlands, Cantigny, P Landing & Chalet

http://www.dailyhera...orts/160109933/

Hehe. Chicago Lefty's favourite hole and favourite golf course!

Tanna Farms, Geneva, No. 7, 414/362 yards, Par 4

Difficult uphill par 4 plays into a prevailing wind, and tee shots need to split the fairway bunkers. Green is large and deep, and pin placement can vary approach selection by up to three clubs. "Tough bunkers off the tee and near the green. Uphill. Tough to reach in two."

[size=3]BOOM![/size]

http://www.dailyhera...orts/160109933/

Played here for the first time a few weeks ago with Vnutz. I like it!

Highlands of Elgin, No. 4, 159/145 yards, Par 3

What's more fun than a downhill, short par 3? This one's a fooler: Green looks small because it's nestled into a hill. It's big enough to easily three putt. And it's nothing but flora and fauna surrounding the green. Get on or go home.

Highlands of Elgin, No. 7, 254/203 yards, Par 3

"A 200-plus-yard par 3, where you tee off from the highest point on the course, and the view is spectacular (or as about as good as it gets for Illinois) and it also is the windiest point of the course where you face a daunting choice of going for the green while avoiding a hook into the lake or bailing right and hoping you can get up and down on a super-large green."

[size=3]BOOM![/size]