2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Glad to see that list isn't sticking with only the pristine courses but based on that I'm curious about nothing from Dunne, Big Run or numerous other courses making it on there but then Highlands getting two holes (and yes they are two really really good holes).

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Yeah, lots of great courses/holes missing from the list. #18 at Dubs?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

And am I the only one who thinks #2 from Cantigny should not be on that list or any list? I'm not sure where most stand on it but I think it's one of the more ridiculous holes in the area.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

And am I the only one who thinks #2 from Cantigny should not be on that list or any list? I'm not sure where most stand on it but I think it's one of the more ridiculous holes in the area.

It's been a while, but isn't that the long, narrow one with a hazard right, and a creek and large tree guarding the green? I thought it was one of the toughest holes in Chicago, but I wouldn't classify it as one of the top 18 in the area. It's put Big Run #9 ahead of it.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

It's been a while, but isn't that the long, narrow one with a hazard right, and a creek and large tree guarding the green? I thought it was one of the toughest holes in Chicago, but I wouldn't classify it as one of the top 18 in the area. It's put Big Run #9 ahead of it.

Yes that's it, it's super tough. You need a perfect drive to a narrow fairway if you don't hit the fairway you're either in the tree's, OB or in a creek and then the layup isn't much better unless you want to lay way back. If you mishit a shot par is almost an impossible number. I don't mind tough holes but I feel like even a tough hole should give you a shot at scrambling for a par, this one does not.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

What about 18 at Dunne? That list was very Northside-centric

It's a one trick pony. It's very difficult because of the tee shot, but the approach is very meh. I wouldn't classify it as one of the best holes in the burbs.

The author was going for "best" holes, and to me a best hole is not simply a hard hole. Sure, it has to be challenging, but it has to be tee to green, and have a great look.

I like the 1st at Dubs. It's not overly difficult, but it's no pussycat either. One can easily make par, or a double if you find the inside corner bunker, or one of the greenside bunkers.

#1 at Glencoe is one of the hardest starting holes. 'Hard to make par on days when the wind is blowing off the lake, and the driving range on the right often pushes you to go left into the trees.

I like the 1st at Dubs. It's not overly difficult, but it's no pussycat either. One can easily make par, or a double if you find the inside corner bunker, or one of the greenside bunkers.

#1 at Glencoe is one of the hardest starting holes. 'Hard to make par on days when the wind is blowing off the lake, and the driving range on the right often pushes you to go left into the trees.

I was going to mention the 1st at Dubs in my original post but decided against it. Played Dubs for the first time this year was so full of anticipation I wasn't sure if the first hole was that good or if I was finally playing Dubs.

Glencoe 1 is one of the best holes on the course. I wish it was in the middle of the round. It would be even better if there was a fairway bunker on the left side at the base of the hill. Something to frame the hole and aim at.

IMO, Dubs is a great course. Every hole is solid.

I'm heading down to Scottsdale on Wednesday for 4 or 5 rounds. The temperatures will only be in the 40's to low 60's, but it sure beats this cr*p. First round on Thursday at We Ko Pa Cholla. And so it begins.....

we-ko-pa.jpg

Glencoe 1 is one of the best holes on the course. I wish it was in the middle of the round. It would be even better if there was a fairway bunker on the left side at the base of the hill. Something to frame the hole and aim at.

IMO, Dubs is a great course. Every hole is solid.

I dunno if I totally agree with that, 8 & 17 are kind of dull holes and by the time I get to hole 14, the last par 3 I swear I already played that hole 3 other times. I for sure am one who does not like to be hitting the same clubs into all 4 par 3's. Otherwise yeah the rest are pretty killer.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I like Dubs 8 and 17. 8, is probably the best scoring opportunity on the front. I like the up hill short iron approach. 17 requires a good tee shot, but gives a good chance to score before your faced with 18. I think 2 and 14 are good par threes, I agree 6 and 12 are too similar. Overall, Dubs is excellent. I don't think it's US Open caliber. I've played Bethpage Black a lot, and Torrey Pines South. Bethpage is really hard, Torrey is great and the location is spectacular. I highly recommend Bethpage if your ever in NY. I'm always happy to pay the out of state green fee. Torrey is expensive, I'm not sure I would pay it again.

A little bit late, but a few thoughts. For starting holes I generally dislike when a course starts with a par 5. There are some courses out there with "gettable" par 5s that you can't be aggressive on yet because you're not loose. I like courses that give you options on the opening hole, let you work your swing in a little bit if you need to, or be aggressive and get off to a quick start if you choose to. Orchard Valley, Settlers Hill, Prairie Landing, and Blackstone all come to mind. Challenging short par 4s to start, can be played fairway wood/iron off the tee with a short iron/wedge in, or you can take driver and play for birdie. Either way you can get off to a good start, or you can mess up pretty quickly.

Worst by far goes to Tanna Farms. Sets the tone for the rest of the course...

A little bit late, but a few thoughts. For starting holes I generally dislike when a course starts with a par 5. There are some courses out there with "gettable" par 5s that you can't be aggressive on yet because you're not loose. I like courses that give you options on the opening hole, let you work your swing in a little bit if you need to, or be aggressive and get off to a quick start if you choose to. Orchard Valley, Settlers Hill, Prairie Landing, and Blackstone all come to mind. Challenging short par 4s to start, can be played fairway wood/iron off the tee with a short iron/wedge in, or you can take driver and play for birdie. Either way you can get off to a good start, or you can mess up pretty quickly.

I'm fine with a short par 5 or par 4. A par 5 is generally more forgiving of a mediocre drive, as it allows a 2nd shot to still get into position for a 3rd to the green. One of my favorite opening holes is Harborside Starboard #1. The landing area is generous off the tee, and while a bit pinched, the layup area is still fairly generous.

I'm fine with a short par 5 or par 4. A par 5 is generally more forgiving of a mediocre drive, as it allows a 2nd shot to still get into position for a 3rd to the green. One of my favorite opening holes is Harborside Starboard #1. The landing area is generous off the tee, and while a bit pinched, the layup area is still fairly generous.

I'd prefer a par 5 to be later in the round, even the 2nd hole is fine by me, I love the 2nd at Village Links. When it's on the first I feel like it compromises one of the 4 good scoring opportunities I've got per round. Take Oak Brook for example. Straight away par 5, but a road to the right, at least a full fairway over, should be simple and safe, yet I've seen so many shots go OB there and you're off to a bad start. Any other time during the round you're not going to miss a full fairway right, but off the first tee anything's possible, so one of your scoring chances is taken away a little right at the start.

I'd prefer a par 5 to be later in the round, even the 2nd hole is fine by me, I love the 2nd at Village Links. When it's on the first I feel like it compromises one of the 4 good scoring opportunities I've got per round. Take Oak Brook for example. Straight away par 5, but a road to the right, at least a full fairway over, should be simple and safe, yet I've seen so many shots go OB there and you're off to a bad start. Any other time during the round you're not going to miss a full fairway right, but off the first tee anything's possible, so one of your scoring chances is taken away a little right at the start.

I think the problem with Oak Brook is the location of the hole, not the hole's par. Any starting hole with serious trouble right or left, especially OB, is no good in my book. I pushed my tee shot OB at the 1st at Balmoral. Ugh. Klein Creek is another one.

They have this new invention now called a DRIVING RANGE. It's where you can hit a few balls to loosen up before playing. Then again, after flying it 280 on #1 at Maple Meadows, you might not need to warm up.

They have this new invention now called a DRIVING RANGE. It's where you can hit a few balls to loosen up before playing. Then again, after flying it 280 on #1 at Maple Meadows, you might not need to warm up.

Looks full.

Golf-driving-range.jpg

When it comes to "best" 2nd holes, I'm drawing a blank. It seems most courses have a fairly boring par 3, or a short-ish par 4. The vast majority are very forgettable. I do like the 2nd on Harborside Starboard, the slight downhill dogleg. I well placed drive can get you to the bottom of the hill, leaving a short wedge to the green. I long straight drive will get you in trouble, running through the fairway. A normal length drive will leave you with a tricky approach on the downslope. The green is long, but narrow, with a crest in the middle. If you're on the wrong side of the ridge, it can be a tricky two putt. There are some tough pin positions, and missing the green can leave a tough up and down. There's crap left and right of the green, so an errant approach can easily result in a lost ball.

I don't recall ever having a birdie on this hole. I'm very happy to simply drive away with a par.

Nice one with Stonewall #2, Jim, it puts the pressure on with the approach over water to a "side-ways" biarritz green

Number 2 at Palatine Hills is nice, long par 4 with a big undulating green

Number 2 at Mt Prospect

Number 2 at Makray

Other second holes (par 5's) I'd say are Foxford Hills, Thunderhawk, Village Links, Pine Meadow, Cantigny (Hillside and Woodside), Hilldale

Number 2 at Orchard Valley is a solid par 3, with a longish carry over water.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

#2 at Oak Grove. Healthy par 4 around 450 that generally plays into the wind. Need to carry the drive over wetlands about 220. It's an ample fairway but you have to be on the right side which is protected a trap if you go too far right. If you're on the left side of the fairway you're blocked to the green unless you can hit a slinging draw. The green is protected on the right by bunkers and slopes dramatically from front to back.

Hole 1 and 2 are about as tough as a starting pair as you'll find in Chicago IMHO.

played Highlands of Elgin for the first time this past fall, quickly became one of my favorite chicagoland courses.

I'm heading down to Scottsdale on Wednesday for 4 or 5 rounds. The temperatures will only be in the 40's to low 60's, but it sure beats this cr*p. First round on Thursday at We Ko Pa Cholla. And so it begins.....

we-ko-pa.jpg

I'm planning on heading down to Scottsdale with a couple of buddies at some point this winter for the first time. Make sure you post details about your trip.

G400 LST
917F2
913H
'16 JPX EZ Forged
T7 54/58
Bettinardi Tour SS3 DASS BEE KOOL
Snell MTB Black

Nese mund te lexoni kete, me dergoni nje mezazh.

I like Dubs 8 and 17. 8, is probably the best scoring opportunity on the front. I like the up hill short iron approach. 17 requires a good tee shot, but gives a good chance to score before your faced with 18. I think 2 and 14 are good par threes, I agree 6 and 12 are too similar. Overall, Dubs is excellent. I don't think it's US Open caliber. I've played Bethpage Black a lot, and Torrey Pines South. Bethpage is really hard, Torrey is great and the location is spectacular. I highly recommend Bethpage if your ever in NY. I'm always happy to pay the out of state green fee. Torrey is expensive, I'm not sure I would pay it again.

Yeah I probably made it sound like I dislike dubs. I just never found those 2 holes that exciting, maybe because most of the holes are so long that when you get to the short ones they just don't seem to be all that. Despite the par 3 comment I still think it's a fantastic course and it's sad the tour no longer stops there.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Number 2 holes I'll nominate are Big Run, Stonewall Orchard, Glencoe and Oak Meadows.

Agreed on both Big Run & Stonewall... also like #2 at Orchard Valley, what about the 2nd at Heritage Bluffs?

Number 2 holes I'll nominate are Big Run, Stonewall Orchard, Glencoe and Oak Meadows.

Agreed on both Big Run & Stonewall... also like #2 at Orchard Valley, what about the 2nd at Heritage Bluffs?

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Got back into Chicago late last night from Phoenix. Ugh. 'Nothing like walking off a plane in shorts and a polo to -2 degrees. Phoenix weather was on the cool side, with highs in the mid-60's, but with the low humidity and sunshine, it felt like the mid-80's. I played four rounds on We Ko Pa Cholla, Camelback GC Padre, Scottsdale Silverado, and Golf Club of Estrella. We Ko Pa was certainly the highlight of the trip, but Estrella was not a bad course, especially the back nine. Shot some decent golf, but certainly not at mid season form. Bermuda grass, even dormant, is tough for us snowbirds.

We Ko Pa

20160114_132611.jpg

20160114_140157.jpg

20160114_141233.jpg

GC of Estrella

20160117_124000.jpg

20160117_125447.jpg