2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway Mack Daddy 3

[quote name='golfdad907' timestamp='1443218743' post='12368038']
[quote name='miboy' timestamp='1443216609' post='12367868']
Does anyone have a hard time opening up the W grind?
Having issues with the 58 W.
On full swings works great, on touch shots, not so good.
[/quote]

That would be a problem with Wide sole wedge
[/quote]

I picked up 58* PM grind, working a lot better.
The 50*/ 54* S grind in the MD3 are working great.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up a 52 which I had bent to a 50 for gap purposes. I am a little surprised by the "hard" feel of the wedge, especially compared to my MD2 58 which feels really soft. Also, ball flight does not seem as high as other wedges.

Anyone else feel the MD3 is hard feeling, or is it just me?

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

[quote name='Eddie' timestamp='1443222644' post='12368252']
I made a thread on this but might as well post it here.

So I often hesitate to make threads like these, but let me give the assertion then give some background.

Mack Daddy 3 wedges don't spin well.

Background. Mid single handicap here.

I have played vokey sm5s most of the year and because of some swing changes, have gotten steeper through the ball and wanted a wider sole grind. The W grind seemed perfect.

Got fitted for the W grind by local Callaway rep.

Tested them on pitch shots from 50-90 yards on various monitors. Saw at least 1000rpm less on solid contact compared to vokeys and nike engage wedges. But I can live with that because you want consistency from those pitch and approach shots.

I've now played 10 rounds with the wedges on various courses, fast dry firm, soft slow receptive, all kinds of greens. Ive played all kinds of shots with various testers and different wedges to compare and see if others see what I see.

I can live with the 54 not spinning like a top as it was designed that way.

The 60 is where I have a problem.

I thought maybe it was me but I'm confident on my technique and I've had the exact same thoughts from a +1 friend, local high end club fitter, and callaway staff pro.

Greenside chips from tight lies: I like to play a low checking chip because a lot of greens I play have lots of undulation so being able to carry slopes and get the ball to stop or at least check up is critical.

With my vokeys, the chip will go, hop, hop then on the third hop, grab, them come to a near stop. Mind you these are wedges that have beaten on for a year.

The md3 will hop hop check then release out.

Short touch high shots from clean lies, where vokey or engage will grab a decent amount then release, the md3 lob doesn't even grab.

It goes on to 50yd pitch shots as well.

So my question has anyone else noticed a deficiency in spin with the 60? I just find it hard to believe that the 60 was designed to not spin, given it's lineage.

I'm wondering if maybe the grooves on the 60 first run just aren't the right angle?

We wondered if it was because the face, which feels pretty smooth, needed to be broken in: still no change.

I don't want to quit on the wedge because the W grind is great for my game but the 60 lack of spin is really dissappointing.

As of now, I know of two callaway staffed amateurs who have noticed the same and ditched these wedges.

I love the way they look, setup, feel is fine and the grind is awesome...
[/quote]

I've got a few rounds in with mine now, and I would have to say I've had the opposite experience. My lob wedge is checking up on shots where my Vokeys used to roll out. I agree though, I love the look and feel of these wedges!

Ugh. Still waiting on my black set.

Currently playing the satin chrome 54S MD3 along with a 58 PM grind, and liking that combo

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

[quote name='hankmoody' timestamp='1443225359' post='12368420']
Picked up a 52 which I had bent to a 50 for gap purposes. I am a little surprised by the "hard" feel of the wedge, especially compared to my MD2 58 which feels really soft. Also, ball flight does not seem as high as other wedges.

[/quote]

I posted this way back in the beginning of this thread or another Mack Daddy 3 thread, they're just real hard/firm to me. Almost like hitting dull rocks.

Epic SZ 9* Speeder 665
816 Alpha 14* Tensei Pro Blue
Titleist T-MB 3 - PW KBS C-Taper
Vokey SM6 Raw 50*F & 55*M, Low Bounce K 59*
Scotty Cameron Newport Buttonback

They are cast. Yes they felt hard and clicky. Much more so compared to the vokey. Everyone is different and mileage may vary.

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

[quote name='Lord Helmet' timestamp='1443280289' post='12370484']
They are cast. Yes they felt hard and clicky. Much more so compared to the vokey. Everyone is different and mileage may vary.
[/quote]

I guess to me, it was shocking how hard and clicky they felt because the Vokeys felt that way to me when I transitioned to them from the old Cleveland RTGs around 2000. They just keep getting harder and harder, it seems.

Epic SZ 9* Speeder 665
816 Alpha 14* Tensei Pro Blue
Titleist T-MB 3 - PW KBS C-Taper
Vokey SM6 Raw 50*F & 55*M, Low Bounce K 59*
Scotty Cameron Newport Buttonback

[quote name='Farrow' timestamp='1443226175' post='12368470']
[quote name='Eddie' timestamp='1443222644' post='12368252']
I made a thread on this but might as well post it here.

So I often hesitate to make threads like these, but let me give the assertion then give some background.

Mack Daddy 3 wedges don't spin well.

Background. Mid single handicap here.

I have played vokey sm5s most of the year and because of some swing changes, have gotten steeper through the ball and wanted a wider sole grind. The W grind seemed perfect.

Got fitted for the W grind by local Callaway rep.

Tested them on pitch shots from 50-90 yards on various monitors. Saw at least 1000rpm less on solid contact compared to vokeys and nike engage wedges. But I can live with that because you want consistency from those pitch and approach shots.

I've now played 10 rounds with the wedges on various courses, fast dry firm, soft slow receptive, all kinds of greens. Ive played all kinds of shots with various testers and different wedges to compare and see if others see what I see.

I can live with the 54 not spinning like a top as it was designed that way.

The 60 is where I have a problem.

I thought maybe it was me but I'm confident on my technique and I've had the exact same thoughts from a +1 friend, local high end club fitter, and callaway staff pro.

Greenside chips from tight lies: I like to play a low checking chip because a lot of greens I play have lots of undulation so being able to carry slopes and get the ball to stop or at least check up is critical.

With my vokeys, the chip will go, hop, hop then on the third hop, grab, them come to a near stop. Mind you these are wedges that have beaten on for a year.

The md3 will hop hop check then release out.

Short touch high shots from clean lies, where vokey or engage will grab a decent amount then release, the md3 lob doesn't even grab.

It goes on to 50yd pitch shots as well.

So my question has anyone else noticed a deficiency in spin with the 60? I just find it hard to believe that the 60 was designed to not spin, given it's lineage.

I'm wondering if maybe the grooves on the 60 first run just aren't the right angle?

We wondered if it was because the face, which feels pretty smooth, needed to be broken in: still no change.

I don't want to quit on the wedge because the W grind is great for my game but the 60 lack of spin is really dissappointing.

As of now, I know of two callaway staffed amateurs who have noticed the same and ditched these wedges.

I love the way they look, setup, feel is fine and the grind is awesome...
[/quote]

I've got a few rounds in with mine now, and I would have to say I've had the opposite experience. My lob wedge is checking up on shots where my Vokeys used to roll out. I agree though, I love the look and feel of these wedges!
[/quote]

Gotta lean towards Eddie's finding too. In two rounds......with high lobs, low checkers, pitch shots and alike, I'm not seeing the same check as I have with my MD2's or even my original MD's. I'm a +3 and am pretty proficient with all my wedges. I picked up a 50* S, a 54* S and a 58* S. So far, the only one that's even left the trunk is the 58*. If this doesn't improve with a shaft change, the other two are going back, especially at $129 a clip. I'll go back to CGP and pick up another couple full sets of the MD2's.

I will say, I absolutely love the acid green UTx Lamkin grips, though.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

I finally had a chance to hit mine yesterday as I have been traveling a lot for work. Anyone that says these are hard and "clicky" are simply looking to spark the cast vs. forged debate. I hit them side by side my MD2 Tour Grinds with the exact same shafts and flushed shots felt PLENTY soft. Chipping around the greens was solid as well. I have nowhere near about time with them to give a reasonable review, but wanted to comment on the feel aspect because I am finding them just as soft as every other major OEM wedge on the market.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1443460752' post='12378846']I finally had a chance to hit mine yesterday as I have been traveling a lot for work. Anyone that says these are hard and "clicky" are simply looking to spark the cast vs. forged debate. I hit them side by side my MD2 Tour Grinds with the exact same shafts and flushed shots felt PLENTY soft. Chipping around the greens was solid as well. I have nowhere near about time with them to give a reasonable review, but wanted to comment on the feel aspect because I am finding them just as soft as every other major OEM wedge on the market.[/quote]

No axe to grind or dog in the fight, but to me when hitting both side by side with the vokey, the Callaway felt firmer to me. It's a fine wedge though. Very nice. I love Callaway wedges.... in fact, I really miss my x forged from 08 or 09. Obviously everyone is different and feel is subjective.....

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1443460752' post='12378846']
I finally had a chance to hit mine yesterday as I have been traveling a lot for work. Anyone that says these are hard and "clicky" are simply looking to spark the cast vs. forged debate. I hit them side by side my MD2 Tour Grinds with the exact same shafts and flushed shots felt PLENTY soft. Chipping around the greens was solid as well. I have nowhere near about time with them to give a reasonable review, but wanted to comment on the feel aspect because I am finding them just as soft as every other major OEM wedge on the market.
[/quote]

Feel is subjective and everyone will always want to voice their own opinion, personally I like the feel of these wedges just as much as anything else I have ever used.

I had the pleasure of playing with an exceptionally experienced player last week (41 Professional Tournament wins!) and he remarked how good my spin control was with these wedges.

People will say what they want good and bad about any product, but these are as good or better than anything else out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my 60W in yesterday. I Chipped around with it in the backyard just to see the trajectory. The wedge felt fine. Im really concerned about others talking about the lack of spin on these though. i'll have some time after work today to hit a couple on the practice area and see for myself.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

I got the 58 c grind TI DGs400 black onyx shaft. Looks alone sold me sick looking wedges! I have to agree with the others they are definitely harder and clickier feeling and they do not spin as much. I think the short chips are okay they just don't grab enough and I can hit all shots with this club but i noticed the open face shots tend to bounce off the turf easy and cause thin shots unlike my vokeys and EF wwedges, I also noticed on full shots even with more bounce they are digging quite a bit more and I've hit quite a few fat shots and the distance is shorter than my taylormade or Titleist wedges. Seems like a great wedge but so far performance is not as expected for me. The only reason this may stay in my bag is because it looks so nice.

[quote name='russian7' timestamp='1444231360' post='12422540']
I got the 58 c grind TI DGs400 black onyx shaft. Looks alone sold me sick looking wedges! I have to agree with the others they are definitely harder and clickier feeling and they do not spin as much. I think the short chips are okay they just don't grab enough and I can hit all shots with this club but i noticed the open face shots tend to bounce off the turf easy and cause thin shots unlike my vokeys and EF wwedges, I also noticed on full shots even with more bounce they are digging quite a bit more and I've hit quite a few fat shots and the distance is shorter than my taylormade or Titleist wedges. Seems like a great wedge but so far performance is not as expected for me. The only reason this may stay in my bag is because it looks so nice.
[/quote]

The C-grind is actually the lowest bounce grind that they recommend for pickers/shallow divot takers. If you are taking larger divots, you may have been better suited to the S or the W.

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1444243600' post='12423564']
[quote name='russian7' timestamp='1444231360' post='12422540']
[/quote]

The C-grind is actually the lowest bounce grind that they recommend for pickers/shallow divot takers. If you are taking larger divots, you may have been better suited to the S or the W.
[/quote]

This. I had a 58 M grind vokey and I started digging tunnels with it. Went and got re-fit, and was put into the K grind. Problem solved. The C grind cally is good for very shallow shots and opening the face type shots if I am not mistaken.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

I was the guy who complained about the spin. After two more rounds they can now be found in the used bin at my local golf shop.

They feel fine, look great, and the sole options are great. They just don't spin. The ball jumps off the face on chips compared to most of the other standard offerings.

If you are a bump and run chipper and pitcher then the spin deficiency won't be a big deal but for my type of short game, they just don't cut it. I'm brand agnostic (see sig) but for me, I haven't been this dissappointed in a Cally product since my botched uDesign driver.

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

I'm surprised with people claiming lack of spin with these wedges, mine are as good as anything out there and in fact I was playing with a seasoned PGA Pro who has won over 40 tournaments worldwide and he commented favourably on how much spin I was getting on my shots.

I play with the matte black versions, not sure if that has anything to do with it?

I finally got out with my 60W. I was worried about the spin coming in but I can say the wedge did perform fairly well for me. It did roll out a little more for me than I wanted but it certainly wasn't terrible. I will try it out some more but as of right now I'll be keeping my SM5's in the bag.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

I have to say I am very disappointed in Callaway custom department. The wedges look great, but I ordered +1/4" and they came standard length. The swingweights were also slightly heavy (for me) but nothing out of the ordindary. The problem is that once I lengthen them to the lengths they should have been (which I shouldn't have to do) they will be too heavy for me - and I can't port them because they are already ported! This is the EXACT same issue I had with the Tour Grind heads but I was able to port those to get the weight down. It's almost like Callaway gives no concern whatsoever for hitting a target swingweight - they simply build the club and if it's heavy, it's heavy. If it's light, it's light. Why they don't have different headweights is beyond me.

I think this is the final straw for me and I will end of going back to Vokeys. It's a shame as I have SIX (6) MD3 clubs here with Tour Issue Onyx S400 that are essentially new that I'll need to offload. Just don't feel like lengthening them and then trying to get the weights down....sign!

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1444596158' post='12442616']
I have to say I am very disappointed in Callaway custom department. The wedges look great, but I ordered +1/4" and they came standard length. The swingweights were also slightly heavy (for me) but nothing out of the ordindary. The problem is that once I lengthen them to the lengths they should have been (which I shouldn't have to do) they will be too heavy for me - and I can't port them because they are already ported! This is the EXACT same issue I had with the Tour Grind heads but I was able to port those to get the weight down. It's almost like Callaway gives no concern whatsoever for hitting a target swingweight - they simply build the club and if it's heavy, it's heavy. If it's light, it's light. Why they don't have different headweights is beyond me.

I think this is the final straw for me and I will end of going back to Vokeys. It's a shame as I have SIX (6) MD3 clubs here with Tour Issue Onyx S400 that are essentially new that I'll need to offload. Just don't feel like lengthening them and then trying to get the weights down....sign!
[/quote]

I agree mine were heavy too at +1/2 but the performance just disappointed me for the price

I have the 46 and 56 and will say they are much firmer than the MD2s. Could it have something to do with the Chrome Soft? The wedges feel amazing with the Chrome Soft but any other harder ball and theyre rocks. I have to agree with the lack of spin too. Not sure what happened there but I've adjusted and they work plenty fine.

EPIC SZ 10.5 Ozik 70M5 X
EPIC SZ 15 Ozik 80M5 X
Steelhead XR Pro 3i Tour-V X
Apex Pro 16 4i-9i C-Taper X
MD3 49.11S, 56.10S C-Taper X
PM Grind 60.06
Spalding TPM8
Chrome Soft X

Interesting that mine felt light to me. I added lead tape over the ports on the 58* just to get it up to where I prefer the weight. At the end of the day, I can fix those things myself. What I can't fix is the NOTICEABLE lack of spin I'm seeing in the MD3's on chip and pitch shots, when compared to my entire set of MD2s (six different combinations). Not only do the MD2s perform better, they feel WAY better. As it stands, I have a new (hit 3 times) 50* MD3, a 54* that's brand new/unhit and the 58* I've been fully experimenting with. The 58* will be considered my failed experiment, but the 50* and 54* will be sold or taken back.......especially at $129 a copy.

Damn, I really wanted to like these.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

52/58 Chrome, both S grind, with Modus 130 Stiff in them. Standard length and lie. I am getting the appropriate spin for the most part. It might be a touch less then the MD2's were for me, but I SPIN everything too much to begin with on pitches and chips. That being said, they may release a touch more around the greens but other than that, they still hold on 1 hop and stop shots and still are great on full shots. No issues to speak of right now.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='hankmoody' timestamp='1443225359' post='12368420']

[/quote]

I gave them a shot, but I'm so used to forged clubs...ended up with MD2 TG's in satin and I couldn't be happier. I've owned lots of forged wedges from Bstone to Cleveland and the MD2TG's are hands down the easiest to hit & best feeling wedges I've ever owned. IMO the MD3's are a big step backwards considering the MD2TG's are perfection.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='russian7' timestamp='1444608399' post='12443322']
[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1444596158' post='12442616']

[/quote]

I agree mine were heavy too at +1/2 but the performance just disappointed me for the price
[/quote]

Did you Call Callaway as soon as you realized they were not what you ordered........Callaway has One of the Best Customer Service Departments out there I never had a problem with any custom order and if there ever was any type of issue Callaway would send you the right item/part free of cost.

,Mike.

I'm doing some crazy stuff with my MD3 wedges. The 60 w has preformed above what I expected. Had a long bunker shot that was tucked on the back of the green with nowhere to land it and on a down slope. I hit my shot high with some check and it released down to the hole. No problem with spin except when I do want to hit a runner it has come off a little hotter that MD2's, but I have adjusted.Love the the W grind, great club!