2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Olympics Golf: The Official Discussion Thread (merged)

GolfGrouch

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny doesn't sound too excited about being in Rio lol

Lol'ing at how NBC is trying to spin Rick's performance today. "Maybe he was out partying"- Roger Maltbie lol

Did you catch the bit where Johnny was talking about how Rickie was enjoying the experience, specifically all the beautiful/athletic people?

And frankly, I don't think that's spin. I get the impression Rickie isn't too concerned about the golf this week.

That's why the IOC invested in about 500,000 condoms this week.

As soon as the women gymnasts finish competing is when things really get fun.

Julieta Granada on the GC morning drive carrying the flag for Paraguay in the Olympics... I thought the Olympics was supposed to be the best athletes in their respective sport from around the world? Shes only made 8 of 20 cuts on the LPGA tour this year, where is the excitment in that? Its nothing against her but if she is the best Paraguay has to offer then they just dont qualify for the games this year... She makes a nice living on the LPGA and is deserving of her status there but this is the Olympics and supposed to be next level top tier type golf.

Check out Ethiopia's Robel Kiros Habite. His best time in the 100m freestyle has been bested by a number of American 10-11 year old kids this year alone. Yes, you have some of the best athletes in the world competing, but you also have everyone in the world competing.

Beach volleyball Eygpt never played an inertnational match and had zero world ranking points, but they did defeat beach volleyball powerhouses Nigeria and Rwanda. At least golf should be for non pros not a pro field weaker than the John Deere.

It's a lot stronger than the John Deere. Olympic Golf given 46 World Ranking Points as opposed to 24 for John Deere. It's the same as the Canadian Open or the Scottish and Irish Opens on the European Tour so sorta the ranking of standard PGA Tour event strength.

That is not exactly an apples to apples comparison as the "Home Tour" points (which are a component of the SOF and ultimately the world ranking points up for grabs) was monkey'd with for the Olympic Event. They were trying to give some extra juice.

However, if you ignore the field size (60 vs 140), then the Olympic event does have a better field than the Deere.

Is the GC coverage a joke? I'm pretty serious here. I just watched 15 minutes, with four commercial breaks - literally every two minutes. I guess I'll check back later.

There's always a million commercials watching GC.... This years US Open broadcast was so refreshing, minimal commercials like The Masters!

Julieta Granada on the GC morning drive carrying the flag for Paraguay in the Olympics... I thought the Olympics was supposed to be the best athletes in their respective sport from around the world? Shes only made 8 of 20 cuts on the LPGA tour this year, where is the excitment in that? Its nothing against her but if she is the best Paraguay has to offer then they just dont qualify for the games this year... She makes a nice living on the LPGA and is deserving of her status there but this is the Olympics and supposed to be next level top tier type golf.

Check out Ethiopia's Robel Kiros Habite. His best time in the 100m freestyle has been bested by a number of American 10-11 year old kids this year alone. Yes, you have some of the best athletes in the world competing, but you also have everyone in the world competing.

Beach volleyball Eygpt never played an inertnational match and had zero world ranking points, but they did defeat beach volleyball powerhouses Nigeria and Rwanda. At least golf should be for non pros not a pro field weaker than the John Deere.

It's a lot stronger than the John Deere. Olympic Golf given 46 World Ranking Points as opposed to 24 for John Deere. It's the same as the Canadian Open or the Scottish and Irish Opens on the European Tour so sorta the ranking of standard PGA Tour event strength.

That is not exactly an apples to apples comparison as the "Home Tour" points (which are a component of the SOF and ultimately the world ranking points up for grabs) was monkey'd with for the Olympic Event. They were trying to give some extra juice.

However, if you ignore the field size (60 vs 140), then the Olympic event does have a better field than the Deere.

If you average only the top 60 ranked players in the Deere, you get 173.68 (vs. the Olympics' 133.45).

FWIW, the 60th ranked player in the Deere is #275 Chesson Hadley; Olympics' is Jose-Filipe Lima.

Deere has only 9 players inside the top 100, vs. the Olympics' 30 top-100.

How do the Home Tour points work? I just noticed on the OWGR website that the Maybank Malaysia Championship had more home field points than the Bridgestone (and only 7 events in the world all this year have had a higher Home Tour points value). I found the explanation on the OWGR website of Home points to be less than helpful...

Is the GC coverage a joke? I'm pretty serious here. I just watched 15 minutes, with four commercial breaks - literally every two minutes. I guess I'll check back later.

Use a proxy and go to the BBC site for no adverts what so ever. But be aware the commentators are Very Poor.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
58 Ping Tour S
Rife Bimini[/font][/size]

There's always a million commercials watching GC.... This years US Open broadcast was so refreshing, minimal commercials like The Masters!

I think they're showing more commercials than actual golf. 2min of golf 3min of commercials

I don't know about anyone else, but I am having a hard time watching because I don't like the looks of the course. Too much "Native Area", no trees, and no landscaping. This type of look is a dime a dozen in south Florida. It looks boring for me. I think the Olympic committee picked the wrong guy for the job.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am having a hard time watching because I don't like the looks of the course. Too much "Native Area", no trees, and no landscaping. This type of look is a dime a dozen in south Florida. It looks boring for me. I think the Olympic committee picked the wrong guy for the job.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think the guy had a pristine piece of property to start with......

Heresy! Gil Hanse is a genius. He's this generation's Donald Ross/Alistair MacKenzie....

Heresy! Gil Hanse is a genius. He's this generation's Donald Ross/Alistair MacKenzie....

Both of you guys are getting wrapped up in hyperbole. Hanse did a great job on the course and I'm a fan of his. But Hanse is no Ross or MacKenzie. He's not even in the same category as Tom Doak.

Me too with NO breaks. It's your cable provider.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Awww your a parklands player. Tree's defined fairways no waist areas..looks like a park without picknic tables :cheesy:

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Unleash the capybaras! Two foot high, 4 foot long, 100 lb rodents are moving design elements and unique to this course. I'll tune in when the IOC wakes up to the ratings slump and lets them back on the course... or allow women gymnasts to caddy.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think the guy had a pristine piece of property to start with......

^^^^^ this.

It does look like a dime-a-dozen south florida course, agreed. But I don't think there was much to work with to begin with. Don't think you can hang this one on Gil Hanse.

Both of you guys are getting wrapped up in hyperbole. Hanse did a great job on the course and I'm a fan of his. But Hanse is no Ross or MacKenzie. He's not even in the same category as Tom Doak.

I was being sarcastic. I'm not a big Hanse fan.

This is really cool and I'm glad that Rickie and Bubba got to experience this...

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/swimmers-give-fowler-watson-usa-chant/?cid=Email_FridayNL_20160812

This is the kinda stuff that sends chills down your spine, gives you a lifetime memory and money could never buy-

I'm glad that they went-

Rickie because he's Rickie and deserves this and Bubba because while he's been through a lot and may be a tad jaded, and I do not blame him in the slightest, though this experience hopefully rekindles that spark of innocence and joy that each one of us brought to the game that through time, life's experiences and also those of the game may dim.

Yep, this was cool!!

Have a great weekend Gents :)

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

With these slow greens I wonder how much under par Rors would've been at this point

Which Rors? The one who won back-to-back majors in 2014, or the current version that can't putt for ____.

Pre-foot injury Rory. I think he's always been a pretty streaky putter and I think he generally does better on slower greens. Based on his Tee to green game he would've been in the mix here

With these slow greens I wonder how much under par Rors would've been at this point

Which Rors? The one who won back-to-back majors in 2014, or the current version that can't putt for ____.

Pre-foot injury Rory. I think he's always been a pretty streaky putter and I think he generally does better on slower greens. Based on his Tee to green game he would've been in the mix here

The greens at Troon were slow, didn't see McIlroy within 16 shots.

The greens at Troon were slow, didn't see McIlroy within 16 shots.

He finished 5th, and got the worst part of the draw, unlike Mickelson and Stenson.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse