Olympics Golf: The Official Discussion Thread (merged)

GolfGrouch

I mean, wasn't ANGC 1st Inventational in 1934 a little rough ?, I do not think the Ryder Cup wasnt a instant success, and until the Full Euro Package was added in the late 70's, the Ryder Cup it was on its way out.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and traditions certainly are not formed overnight, but the love for one's country is innate in most of us all, the Olympics show cases Golf on a world wide platform which certainly is not a bad thing..........why all the hostility?

Come on USA.......someone step up and take your place in history

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm more interested in watching the John Deere than this farce of an event. I haven't watched a single minute of it and don't intend to do so.

I'm looking forward to the course being plowed under and Olympic golf ceasing to exist.

ya put ur bottle of beer down got up off the sofa, walked down the hall to the den just so you could grace us with your presence. That's GREAT .... I was beginning to think ya didn't care.

I don't drink beer.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and traditions certainly are not formed overnight, but the love for one's country is innate in most of us all, the Olympics show cases Golf on a world wide platform which certainly is not a bad thing..........why all the hostility?

The IOC is corrupt and shouldn't be rewarded with viewership. And the Olympics are nearly always a financial disaster for the host country. It is disgusting that public funds are used to support athletic events. I realize no country is forced to host the Olympics but it would make the world a better place if the Olympics ceased existence.

The IOC is corrupt and shouldn't be rewarded with viewership. And the Olympics are nearly always a financial disaster for the host country. It is disgusting that public funds are used to support athletic events. I realize no country is forced to host the Olympics but it would make the world a better place if the Olympics ceased existence.

Start a thread about the IOC in the 19th Hole and comment there. Don't take over this golf thread.

Start a thread about the IOC in the 19th Hole and comment there. Don't take over this golf thread.

My post was a direct response to an earlier post.

If my posting bothers you I suggest you ignore it and move on.

There's a lot of things that bother me about golf in the Olympics. I've talked about it in other threads so I won't go over all of it. But this format is really meaningless. They had an opportunity to do something really fun. Instead, they did individual which makes it just another golf tournament. It should have been a team format of some kind and possibly involved some amateurs. A scramble would have been really fun to watch because of the low scoring. This individual format really isn't very interesting to watch. They should have done something unique that would draw more people into watching it.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

John Deere.........1 page 12 posts.

Olympics golf........26 pages 761 posts

but the Olympics are a flop. I know which one I'll be watching later on. Come on Rosey.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

I'm more interested in watching the John Deere than this farce of an event. I haven't watched a single minute of it and don't intend to do so.

I'm looking forward to the course being plowed under and Olympic golf ceasing to exist.

You are missing out imo. Ive really enjoyed it and i wasnt a big fan before it started. The course is great, big names at the top, windy at times etc. It would have been unreal if all the best played. Still think it has been a very cool thing to watch. You call it a farce of an event without having watched a single minute... When you havent watched a minute, your opinion dont/shouldnt mean anything.

There's a lot of things that bother me about golf in the Olympics. I've talked about it in other threads so I won't go over all of it. But this format is really meaningless. They had an opportunity to do something really fun. Instead, they did individual which makes it just another golf tournament. It should have been a team format of some kind and possibly involved some amateurs. A scramble would have been really fun to watch because of the low scoring. This individual format really isn't very interesting to watch. They should have done something unique that would draw more people into watching it.

Format isnt meaningless, its the way golf is played. Do you think Phelps swimming individual races is meaningless because he does it the rest of the year aswell? Im not against making it a team competition but i have no problem with it the way it is now. The players have really made the most out of it(except Bubba and Reed who acts like spoiled idiots at times).

Amateurs in Olympics is meaningless. How many people watch soccer in the Olympics compared to the World Cup? Almost none and thats because they have an age limit and tons of unknown players play in the Olympics. Lack of superstars so people dont care. Tons of people in my country that never watch PGA tour or majors have tuned in and are watching golf in the olympics. It does grow the game more than we thought it would. There are other countries in the world other than USA even if americans dont think so at times. I wasnt a big fan of it before it started but it has been great! Very good and fun course, great conditions, good players at the top, windy at times, some very hard holes at the back nine, some fun drivable par 4s etc. The players not participating are missing out! It has been a success so far and Stenson and Rose in the lead before the final round is perfect.

Let me see do I watch Stenson and Rose duel it out for Olympic Gold or Ryan Moore fend off AN others at the John Deere? Not a tough 1 that is it.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

I mean, wasn't ANGC 1st Inventational in 1934 a little rough ?, I do not think the Ryder Cup wasnt a instant success, and until the Full Euro Package was added in the late 70's, the Ryder Cup it was on its way out.

Agree with your sentiments. Only 3 of the world's top 10 men tennis players played when tennis was reintroduced to the Olympics in 1988...looks pretty healthy now. Love the way Rose et al have embraced the event and hope that it grows in the future.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Agree with your sentiments. Only 3 of the world's top 10 men tennis players played when tennis was reintroduced to the Olympics in 1988...looks pretty healthy now. Love the way Rose et al have embraced the event and hope that it grows in the future.

This is un-American of me, but I wouldn't mind seeing Stenson win, though your guy is coming on STRONG............

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

All day coverage on BBC Internet. Not a commercial to be seen. A woman just tried to put Roses ball in her handbag on 2 though!

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

I will be watching rio golf and not the John Deere - any one talk to Rors if Zika is in his S. Florida back yard. Will he be pulling out of the players this year?

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

I have not read all the Olympic golf threads, but I think if they really want to bring the sport back to the games they should add some individual skills events. It would be cool to see a long drive (with a grid), an event for iron shot accuracy (best combined score from 100, 150, and 200 with a Top Golf style target), maybe even some short game events (bunker shots, putting) that would expand the number of medals. Right now the winner of the gold in golf is kind of like the decathlon winner. Not the best at anything but the best overall. Some individual events would be cool.

drn92

Also, given the choice between the Deere and the Olympics, my TV will be on the Olympics. Hoping for a great battle between Rose and Stenson and a bronze from one of the Americans.

The GC announcers are really making themselves sound stupid for all the over-the-top pro-Olympics comments and all the bad-mouthing of the golfers that didn't want to participate. I know they have a job to do, but they need to cover the golf and let Olympic golf shake out however the public views it - positively or negatively.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

Should be good, Henrok dropping another bomb. Pow!!

I have not read all the Olympic golf threads, but I think if they really want to bring the sport back to the games they should add some individual skills events. It would be cool to see a long drive (with a grid), an event for iron shot accuracy (best combined score from 100, 150, and 200 with a Top Golf style target), maybe even some short game events (bunker shots, putting) that would expand the number of medals. Right now the winner of the gold in golf is kind of like the decathlon winner. Not the best at anything but the best overall. Some individual events would be cool.

drn92

Also, given the choice between the Deere and the Olympics, my TV will be on the Olympics. Hoping for a great battle between Rose and Stenson and a bronze from one of the Americans.

No it would not. It would be like winning Big Break.

The GC announcers are really making themselves sound stupid for all the over-the-top pro-Olympics comments and all the bad-mouthing of the golfers that didn't want to participate. I know they have a job to do, but they need to cover the golf and let Olympic golf shake out however the public views it - positively or negatively.

Give 'em a break I think they're just sore. Maybe the week would've been more fun for everyone if Jordan and Rory and all them came. Announcers are only human, of course their personal feelings are going to bleed into their commentary.

Sergio with no cap. Wonder how many would drop them if there was no $$$ involved?

He was wearing one yesterday I think.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W