2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Olympics Golf: The Official Discussion Thread (merged)

GolfGrouch

Did not read link, but whether Adam Scott wants it or not, Justin Rose has something that Adam Scott doesn't.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did not read link, but whether Adam Scott wants it or not, Justin Rose has something that Adam Scott doesn't.

So does Charlie Sheen.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

So does Charlie Sheen.

It's weird that you know this. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

So does Charlie Sheen.

It's weird that you know this. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Well, compared to Scott, Rose is like 2 1/2 men with that gold medal.

And I never said that Olympic gold is worth more than a grand slam so you can stop trying to misrepresent my argument. My argument is that it is up there which is what the quotes I provided suggest. Certainly for the top players the Olympics is beyond any non Grand Slam tournament which puts it on the same level as The Players Championship in golf terms. Pretty impressive since it has only been around since 1988.

Changing your tune, I see. Your statement that originally started this diversion is below.

"The Olympic sport that bears closest comparison to golf is tennis. I'm just watching Murray and Del Potro sweat blood for a gold medal having watched Djokovic break down in tears when he was knocked out in early round (he certainly wasn't crying when he lost early at Wimbledon). At some point in the next 20 years an Olympic gold medal in golf will mean as much to the top players as a green jacket or a claret jug. Book it."

Now you're saying that in 20 years winning the Olympic gold would mean as much as winning the Players Championship (and in the tennis world, which is what you and I have been discussing in the past few posts you're now saying the Olympics is the biggest event outside the 4 Grand Slams). Not sure I buy that, but that opinion is reasonable and it's certainly not something worth arguing about.

No my consistent point is that for the top golfers Olympic gold will mean as much as a major just as for the top tennis players it now means as much as a grand slam. You obviously disagree with my second premise, so perhaps you could care to explain why Novak Djokovic was crying his eyes out last week? Something in his eye perhaps? Afterwards he said

"I mean, no doubt, it's one of the toughest losses in my life, in my career,"

Here's a reminder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjzMADuRYss

Lydia Ko explains it so eloquently. Class act through and through.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Most countries, Australia for one, have restricted their countries' Olympic athletes, coaches and their entourage from going to beach areas after 6 p.m., or leaving 'the village' or their safe house after dark. That's how bad it is in Rio!

I was told not to go around certain places in Atlanta after dark, or preferably at any time...

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

Where does Olympic golf stand in importance with the major championships? Well, it is higher in the pecking order than the PGA Championship. It displaced the PGA and forced the PGA to reschedule to different dates. How many of the other majors would step aside and reschedule to allow a new golf event to take their customary dates? What would the top ranked golfers choose to do if confronted with choosing between the PGA and the Olympics? I think players would choose the PGA, and if I was running the PGA, I wouldn't be happy about rescheduling my event every four years to accommodate the Olympics.

I would be telling the Olympics right now that the PGA Championship dates are firm for 2020 in Tokyo. The Olympics has a two week window to schedule men's golf. It can be the week after or the week before the PGA depending on the calendar. Then the top ranked players can decide where they play and how important playing in the Olympics really is.

[i]The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind. -Bob Dylan[/i]
[i]Everything is dust in the wind. -Kansas[/i]

And I never said that Olympic gold is worth more than a grand slam so you can stop trying to misrepresent my argument. My argument is that it is up there which is what the quotes I provided suggest. Certainly for the top players the Olympics is beyond any non Grand Slam tournament which puts it on the same level as The Players Championship in golf terms. Pretty impressive since it has only been around since 1988.

Changing your tune, I see. Your statement that originally started this diversion is below.

"The Olympic sport that bears closest comparison to golf is tennis. I'm just watching Murray and Del Potro sweat blood for a gold medal having watched Djokovic break down in tears when he was knocked out in early round (he certainly wasn't crying when he lost early at Wimbledon). At some point in the next 20 years an Olympic gold medal in golf will mean as much to the top players as a green jacket or a claret jug. Book it."

Now you're saying that in 20 years winning the Olympic gold would mean as much as winning the Players Championship (and in the tennis world, which is what you and I have been discussing in the past few posts you're now saying the Olympics is the biggest event outside the 4 Grand Slams). Not sure I buy that, but that opinion is reasonable and it's certainly not something worth arguing about.

No my consistent point is that for the top golfers Olympic gold will mean as much as a major just as for the top tennis players it now means as much as a grand slam.

One need only look at your words above to see that your point has been anything but "consistent". "Olympic gold will mean as much as a green jacket or claret jug in 20 years...no, what I meant to say was it will mean as much as the Players Championship...no, actually I meant what I originally said, a Major..." Look, I know the Djoker was very upset about losing last week. Nobody disputes it meant a lot to him, but I have no idea what point you think you're making by dwelling on his emotions after that loss. Anybody who knows the game knows that the 4 grand slam events stand alone in tennis. Nobody would trade a win in one of those tournaments for a gold medal. And in 20 years, just like today, no golfer will be willing to trade a gold medal for a Green Jacket, US Open Trophy, Claret Jug, or Wanamaker Trophy.

Where does Olympic golf stand in importance with the major championships? Well, it is higher in the pecking order than the PGA Championship. It displaced the PGA and forced the PGA to reschedule to different dates. How many of the other majors would step aside and reschedule to allow a new golf event to take their customary dates? What would the top ranked golfers choose to do if confronted with choosing between the PGA and the Olympics? I think players would choose the PGA, and if I was running the PGA, I wouldn't be happy about rescheduling my event every four years to accommodate the Olympics.

I would be telling the Olympics right now that the PGA Championship dates are firm for 2020 in Tokyo. The Olympics has a two week window to schedule men's golf. It can be the week after or the week before the PGA depending on the calendar. Then the top ranked players can decide where they play and how important playing in the Olympics really is.

In a time, I'd be willing to bet an Olympic Gold medal in golf will mean just as much, if not more, than a major. Even Justin Rose already said winning it meant more to him than any other tournament (including the US Open). You get to represent your country, and if you win, you get to hold onto the title of defending champion for four years. No other tournament does that.

An Olympic Gold is also technically more difficult to win. If a 20 year old player made every Olympic team until he was 48 yrs old, that means he/she only has 7 shots of winning a medal. The same player would have 112 opportunities to win a major in the same time frame.

I heard this morning that overnight ratings for the last round of the Olympics golf was the second highest for golf for the entire year. Only the last round of the Masters got higher ratings. If there was any doubt in my mind about the long term viability of Olympic golf, it is gone now. If people continue to watch, it will continue to exist. It will be interesting to see how the women do for ratings this week.

In a time, I'd be willing to bet an Olympic Gold medal in golf will mean just as much, if not more, than a major. Even Justin Rose already said winning it meant more to him than any other tournament (including the US Open).

Citation, please.

In a time, I'd be willing to bet an Olympic Gold medal in golf will mean just as much, if not more, than a major. Even Justin Rose already said winning it meant more to him than any other tournament (including the US Open).

Citation, please.

Citation: every Justin Rose press conference since sunday

Citation, please.

I'll ask again, citation please.

"Rose, of course, saw his dream become reality. Several months ago, he talked about adding Olympic Champion to his resume alongside his 2013 U.S. Open win. On Sunday, he was asked to compare the two. He deferred, saying it wasn’t fair. Both are equally important in different ways."

http://www.pgatour.c...o-olympics.html

I don't buy that they are of equal importance, I think he's giving a politically correct answer there (though I don't doubt it means a lot to him), but he certainly didn't say it meant more to him than his US Open victory.

Citation, please.

I'll ask again, citation please.

"Rose, of course, saw his dream become reality. Several months ago, he talked about adding Olympic Champion to his resume alongside his 2013 U.S. Open win. On Sunday, he was asked to compare the two. He deferred, saying it wasn’t fair. Both are equally important in different ways."

http://www.pgatour.c...o-olympics.html

I don't buy that they are of equal importance, I think he's giving a politically correct answer there (though I don't doubt it means a lot to him), but he certainly didn't say it meant more to him than his US Open victory.

Youre all wrong ; )

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/national/article/Olympic-gold-ranks-alongside-US-Open-triumph-for-Justin-Rose-9289c676-0021-4ad3-bcdd-93aa8cb4e2e6-ds

"I think it sits alongside the US Open trophy for me, for sure.

"I think people want to keep comparing the two, major championship or Olympic gold - I don't think they should be compared to one another. I said earlier this year that if my resume one day read "multiple major champion and Olympic gold medallist," I would be a very, very happy man.

"I've just got to tag on another major now."

Youre all wrong ; )

No, I'm not as I'm not the clown who said Justin said it meant more to him than a major.

no, you're the clown who said Justin Rose was lying when he said they were of equal importance.

I didn't say he was lying, I said he was being politically correct. I'll stand by that.

And in the case he was actually serious, I'd then say he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

Oh, and I'll take this post as confirmation you can't find a citation to support your contention that JR said the Olympic medal meant more to him than the US Open "in every press conference since Sunday"...

Most countries, Australia for one, have restricted their countries' Olympic athletes, coaches and their entourage from going to beach areas after 6 p.m., or leaving 'the village' or their safe house after dark. That's how bad it is in Rio!

I was told not to go around certain places in Atlanta after dark, or preferably at any time...

This is the beaches, the biggest tourist spot in Rio not the southside of Atlanta. Saying, 'Avoid the beaches in Rio' is like saying, 'Don't go to Rio.'

This is the beaches, the biggest tourist spot in Rio not the southside of Atlanta. Saying, 'Avoid the beaches in Rio' is like saying, 'Don't go to Rio.'

She ain't scared of the beach

RIOEC89040VOA_768x432.JPG

Youre all wrong ; )

No, I'm not as I'm not the clown who said Justin said it meant more to him than a major.

no, you're the clown who said Justin Rose was lying when he said they were of equal importance.

I didn't say he was lying, I said he was being politically correct. I'll stand by that.

And in the case he was actually serious, I'd then say he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

Oh, and I'll take this post as confirmation you can't find a citation to support your contention that JR said the Olympic medal meant more to him than the US Open "in every press conference since Sunday"...

Why do you need a citation? Even if he said it you would just accuse him of either lying or being stupid.

I heard a pundit remark that they'll never be able to take Matt Kuchar's bronze medal away from him.

There is no cliche in sport I hate more than the "they'll never be able to take ___ away from him". Seriously, who out there wants to take ___ away from him/her.

Oh, and they certainly can take the bronze from him if they discover that he doped (and I believe they keep and test samples for the next 10 years).

Youre all wrong ; )

Why do you need a citation? Even if he said it you would just accuse him of either lying or being stupid.

Well stated.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

Every 4 years the nhl breaks for the Olympic tournament. But I wouldn't say that the NHL is lower in the pecking order than the Olympic tournament. They do it out of respect for the players.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

Youre all wrong ; )

And of course, asking the guy who won it right after he did so is going to give you the best possible answer. Two years from now, I don't think Rose is honestly going to put the gold medal at the same level as the US Open. And I can't imagine the guys voting for the Hall of Fame doing so when Rose is up for consideration.

The Olympic golf tournament is objectively a mediocre competition. Time will tell how it is perceived. Maybe people won't care that its essentially the Olympic branding slapped on a C- tournament and it will be considered as good as a major, but I doubt it.

Youre all wrong ; )

Who cares? You're the guy who said he's said it in every press conference since Sunday. Show your work...