2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Most Overrated Course

i think bethpage at $200 is twice the course torrey pines is. every hole is long with 4 inch wet rough, i'll pass. good on them for exploiting the USGA and PGA's love afair with hard courses and 15 yd wide fairways. wait till erin hills....(hard eye roll) Give me harbour town, sawgrass, east lake, any of those are infinitley more intersting and more thoughtfully designed than TP. which is what I'm calling it from now on, cause thats what I'm gonna keep doing, pooping on it.

I think you're partly dismissing location as part of a course's charm. In case you missed the Farmer's on tv this past week, Torrey Pines really IS that gorgeous in January! Not sure what Bethpage looked like last week. Played the Black a few summers ago and it's certainly a beautiful course but saying it's twice the course Torrey Pines is...ummmmm...LOL...I'll just leave this pic right here for your answer

Sweet view, mediocre hole design. If you can't separate that... ummmmm.....LOL

Understatement of the year...congrats. Btw, throwing my quote back at me suggest I somehow pissed in your cheerios. Sack up buttercup. Really not that serious.

Sad!

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think bethpage at $200 is twice the course torrey pines is. every hole is long with 4 inch wet rough, i'll pass. good on them for exploiting the USGA and PGA's love afair with hard courses and 15 yd wide fairways. wait till erin hills....(hard eye roll) Give me harbour town, sawgrass, east lake, any of those are infinitley more intersting and more thoughtfully designed than TP. which is what I'm calling it from now on, cause thats what I'm gonna keep doing, pooping on it.

I think you're partly dismissing location as part of a course's charm. In case you missed the Farmer's on tv this past week, Torrey Pines really IS that gorgeous in January! Not sure what Bethpage looked like last week. Played the Black a few summers ago and it's certainly a beautiful course but saying it's twice the course Torrey Pines is...ummmmm...LOL...I'll just leave this pic right here for your answer

Sweet view, mediocre hole design. If you can't separate that... ummmmm.....LOL

Understatement of the year...congrats. Btw, throwing my quote back at me suggest I somehow pissed in your cheerios. Sack up buttercup. Really not that serious.

Sad!

Awwww...don't be sad bud! Again, not that serious.

Chambers Bay by far.......

TPC Tampa wasn't all that great either.

I used to live in San Diego and could play Torrey for $12.50 and worked right next door at Scripps.

I wouldn't pay what they are asking now.....

Hey RainShadow, really disappointed to see you list TPC Tampa. Hosted Senior Tour 20+ years and the pros raved how strong it was. I've always thought if you removed the neighboring houses it's one of best layouts around. They were recently doing lots of work to greens and re-did all bunkers/fairways. Did you catch it at bad time?

Let me know know.

Sehalee

Olympic Lake

Old Mac

I don't think they are bad courses, just overrated.

Most underrated:

Myopia Hunt

Desert Forrest

California Golf Club

[b]Callaway[/b] 10.5 815 DBD, Diamana W series 70X
[b]Taylormade [/b]'16 M1 3 wood, Diamana D+ X
[b]Titleist[/b] 910 19* Hybrid, Diamana D+ S
[b]Adams[/b] 9031 23* Hybrid, Diamana D+ S
[b]Srixon[/b] z765 5-pw, Modus 3 120 X
[b]Mizuno[/b] MP-T5 50*, TT DG S300
[b]Vokey[/b] SM6 55* & 60*, TT DG S200

The Links at Spanish bay, a lot of forgettable holes. But, maybe just cause we played it after so many superior courses in the area.

I'd agree if it was highly rated. I think it's about as bad a golf course as one could build on that piece of land, but this seems to be the general consensus. I can't think of ever hearing it highly rated.

[b]Callaway[/b] 10.5 815 DBD, Diamana W series 70X
[b]Taylormade [/b]'16 M1 3 wood, Diamana D+ X
[b]Titleist[/b] 910 19* Hybrid, Diamana D+ S
[b]Adams[/b] 9031 23* Hybrid, Diamana D+ S
[b]Srixon[/b] z765 5-pw, Modus 3 120 X
[b]Mizuno[/b] MP-T5 50*, TT DG S300
[b]Vokey[/b] SM6 55* & 60*, TT DG S200

I have not read all the thread but my view from a UK perspective:

1) The Belfry - no matter how many Ryder Cups it just does not do it for me at all

2) Similarly another Euro Tour regular course - Forest of Arden - not as bad as The Belfy but over-rated

3) Royal North Devon - one of the oldest but I don't get it!

4) Wentworth West - it was over-rated before the changes and these have not improved it!

5) Glasgow Gailes - I didn't massively enjoy but would love to give it another go

National golf links was the biggest disappointment ever for me. Friars was, the second. Both great golf courses and I would never say no to an invite again to either, but highly overrated in my opinion.

What's your top 5 that you have played?

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

National golf links was the biggest disappointment ever for me. Friars was, the second. Both great golf courses and I would never say no to an invite again to either, but highly overrated in my opinion.

What's your top 5 that you have played?

Yeah, will be interesting. NGL is definitely in my top 5 I've ever played. I honestly don't have a single complaint about it.

1) Shinnecock

2) Fishers

3) Riviera

4) Yale

5) Haig Point

To each his own since it is so subjective and personal, but they didn't blow me away.

I agree it is a subjective endeavor. When you list a top 10 course, could you explain what you didn't like about it? I don't mean to single you out (I would liek to hear from everyone), but a thread that is just a list of courses in not that interesting. Explanations for what you did or didn't would be cool for everyone to hear and much more interesting.

1) Shinnecock

2) Fishers

3) Riviera

4) Yale

5) Haig Point

To each his own since it is so subjective and personal, but they didn't blow me away.

When you list a top 10 course, could you explain what you didn't like about it?

IMHO it would be incredibly insensitive to your host at a private club (as most of the Top 100 are) to post anonymously the things you didn't like about their club.

Totally reasonable to say that you like place x more than place y - but it crosses a line to call out specific perceived shortcomings. If you don't have anything nice to say, better to not say anything at all.

1) Shinnecock

2) Fishers

3) Riviera

4) Yale

5) Haig Point

IMHO it would be incredibly insensitive to your host at a private club (as most of the Top 100 are) to post anonymously the things you didn't like about their club.

Totally reasonable to say that you like place x more than place y - but it crosses a line to call out specific perceived shortcomings. If you don't have anything nice to say, better to not say anything at all.

I disagree here. Obviously tone and context are part of critiquing a course in a respectful manner, but I still think it's fair game to discuss any course. How is it OK to list a course as overrated then not OK to outline where you thought it fell short? I don't see much of a difference between generally saying a course is overrated or bad vs specifically saying why it is overrated or bad.

CaddyKev didn't say these courses were bad, merely that they did not live up the ratings in his eyes. I assume he (and the other people who have listed courses) have reasons for what they didn't like about a course. I would like to hear these reasons because it would be better discussion (and this is a discussion board).

1) Shinnecock

2) Fishers

3) Riviera

4) Yale

5) Haig Point

How is it OK to list a course as overrated then not OK to outline where you thought it fell short? I don't see much of a difference between generally saying a course is overrated or bad vs specifically saying why it is overrated or bad.

Saying a course (especially a highly rated course like NGLA) is over rated is no big deal - it just means that there are 10 courses that you like better. Nobody's bothered by that. It's perfectly fair to say: "NGLA was amazing, but there are ten courses out there that I found MORE amazing." Or "I just don't like links-style golf". But you can't outright crap on a course that somebody went to the trouble of getting you out on. Obvious exceptions if you played the course on your own right - in a USGA event or charity format.

1) Shinnecock

2) Fishers

3) Riviera

4) Yale

5) Haig Point

How is it OK to list a course as overrated then not OK to outline where you thought it fell short? I don't see much of a difference between generally saying a course is overrated or bad vs specifically saying why it is overrated or bad.

Saying a course (especially a highly rated course like NGLA) is over rated is no big deal - it just means that there are 10 courses that you like better. Nobody's bothered by that. It's perfectly fair to say: "NGLA was amazing, but there are ten courses out there that I found MORE amazing." Or "I just don't like links-style golf". But you can't outright crap on a course that somebody went to the trouble of getting you out on. Obvious exceptions if you played the course on your own right - in a USGA event or charity format.

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the explanation. I am not advocating anyone crap on a course they have listed, but a list of course names without any substance to to their opinions is not a very useful thread.

Even if someone was invited to a course by a member, I think there is a way to respectfully communicate what they found lacking. Your second example is exactly what I think would be a great addition to the thread. Another example from my experience would be Arcadia Bluffs. If it were private and I was invited, I don't think it would be unfair to say "Arcadia is a great course, but I think people take the fantastic views into account when rating the course too highly". Constructive and informed criticism can be a positive, regardless of the situation, if delivered in a respectful way, in my opinion.

1) Shinnecock

2) Fishers

3) Riviera

4) Yale

5) Haig Point

Not enough waterfalls?

Didn't know that I had any trump courses on my top five. Not sure what you mean by this.

What are your top five?

The list above are my personal top 5. I was asked to list them after I said Ngla and friars were great courses but overrated in my opinion.

1) Shinnecock

2) Fishers

3) Riviera

4) Yale

5) Haig Point

What didn't you like about them ? And what were the courses that blew you away ?

If the drainage at Yale was better I could play there every day for the rest of my life. Also they need to put the punch bowl green back on number 3. Add more slope on the redan on the back 9 so it actually plays more like a redan and move the greens back to original location on 16. That's all I ask lol

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the explanation. I am not advocating anyone crap on a course they have listed, but a list of course names without any substance to to their opinions is not a very useful thread.

Even if someone was invited to a course by a member, I think there is a way to respectfully communicate what they found lacking. Your second example is exactly what I think would be a great addition to the thread. Another example from my experience would be Arcadia Bluffs. If it were private and I was invited, I don't think it would be unfair to say "Arcadia is a great course, but I think people take the fantastic views into account when rating the course too highly". Constructive and informed criticism can be a positive, regardless of the situation, if delivered in a respectful way, in my opinion.

Totally fair game to call something over rated because you don't agree with the rating criteria. Oakmont is likely over rated because the green speed makes the course really difficult, which enhances its rating. But I wouldn't want my home course to bump its greens to stimp at 15 just to goose the Golf Digest number. Easy to say that Pebble is over rated because of the "ambience" factor of being on the ocean. That's talking about what you don't like about the *ratings* - different deal than what you didn't like about the *course*.

1) Shinnecock

2) Fishers

3) Riviera

4) Yale

5) Haig Point

Not enough waterfalls?

Didn't know that I had any trump courses on my top five. Not sure what you mean by this.

What are your top five?

The list above are my personal top 5. I was asked to list them after I said Ngla and friars were great courses but overrated in my opinion.

Ah. Misunderstanding. I read the list and associated with the comments that followed

Doral blue monster for sure.

Pawleys plantation sucks. The bridge holes are just terrible.

I expected a lot more from caledonia and true blue at myrtle beach.

I agree, True Blue is nothing special, way overpriced and hyped. Caledonia is very nice IMO.

I enjoyed Pawleys when I played it last year for 65 bucks so it's not like it costs 200 or more to play. For the money, it is a very nice layout

Driver, Sim2 with Hrzds Black 6.0

3-Wood, SLDR with Hzrds Smoke Black 5.5

3 Hydrid, Sldr with Smoke Black 5.5

Irons, Apex 2019 with Your Elevate stiff

Wedges, Vokey 48, 52, 58

Putter, Odyssey White Hot number 7 

1) Shinnecock

2) Fishers

3) Riviera

4) Yale

5) Haig Point

What didn't you like about them ? And what were the courses that blew you away ?

If the drainage at Yale was better I could play there every day for the rest of my life. Also they need to put the punch bowl green back on number 3. Add more slope on the redan on the back 9 so it actually plays more like a redan and move the greens back to original location on 16. That's all I ask lol

I was asked to state my top five after I said ngla and friars were great courses but overrated in my opinion. These were my personal top 5. I played Yale in the 2004 NCAA east regional and it was in prime condition.

1) Shinnecock

2) Fishers

3) Riviera

4) Yale

5) Haig Point

I disagree here. Obviously tone and context are part of critiquing a course in a respectful manner, but I still think it's fair game to discuss any course. How is it OK to list a course as overrated then not OK to outline where you thought it fell short? I don't see much of a difference between generally saying a course is overrated or bad vs specifically saying why it is overrated or bad.

CaddyKev didn't say these courses were bad, merely that they did not live up the ratings in his eyes. I assume he (and the other people who have listed courses) have reasons for what they didn't like about a course. I would like to hear these reasons because it would be better discussion (and this is a discussion board).

I think for both I had read and heard about how amazing they were that maybe my expectations were too high. As for ngla, got on with some caddy buddies and our caddies were definitely going thru the motions, didn't even come to the green on a few holes, which busting their balls actually made for some of the highlights. I think a truly great course has to test your whole bag, and it didn't. To me it was Southampton cc with hillier terrain and a wind mill. We finished and I remember thinking this was the famous ngla. As for friars, it tests your whole bag, and is a great walk, I just found it a mix of really awesome holes and some just blah ones, especially 1, 10, 16, and 18, my caddy even agreed with me on this. I personally thought 2-9 was the best stretch on the course. Once again, both great tracks, just overhyped in my opinion.

1) Shinnecock

2) Fishers

3) Riviera

4) Yale

5) Haig Point

I was asked to state my top five after I said ngla and friars were great courses but overrated in my opinion. These were my personal top 5. I played Yale in the 2004 NCAA east regional and it was in prime condition.

Yeah totally read it wrong. Very surprised NGLA underwhelmed you considering your love for Yale, fisher and shinnecock.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I have not read all the thread but my view from a UK perspective:

1) The Belfry - no matter how many Ryder Cups it just does not do it for me at all

2) Similarly another Euro Tour regular course - Forest of Arden - not as bad as The Belfy but over-rated

3) Royal North Devon - one of the oldest but I don't get it!

4) Wentworth West - it was over-rated before the changes and these have not improved it!

5) Glasgow Gailes - I didn't massively enjoy but would love to give it another go

Agree re the Belfry. Certainly not Dave Thomas's finest moment. Haven't plated the others.