2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Most Overrated Course

Bulls Bay, Ocean Course at Kiawah, and Cassique just to name a few.

That's like comparing Heidi Klum to a Hooters girl. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I'm with you! I have played the CC of Charleston a few times and one of the things that adds to a courses stature is it's history! the older courses have an aura that appeals to me.

Ping G sf Driver 10*
TISI 3 Wood 14*
G-25 Hybrids 17*,20*, 23*
G Irons 5-UW with Steelfibre i80
Ping Ketch Putter, or Ping Scottsdale Anser BeNi

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll add East Lake to the list. Without the historical significance, it's simply "ok".

I agree. I wish they would move the Tour Championship to a more interesting course.

Most of the pros rave about the course conditions at East Lake, I'm not sure what they do differently to make it any better than our tour courses, but I'd imagine these conditions are not something the regular membership enjoys on a weekly basis. Also, does anyone know if the swap of the front nine and back nine was a permanent change or did they do that only for the Tour Championship? Ending with a par 3 is the worst thing I could ever imagine for a course.

I'll add East Lake to the list. Without the historical significance, it's simply "ok".

I agree. I wish they would move the Tour Championship to a more interesting course.

Most of the pros rave about the course conditions at East Lake, I'm not sure what they do differently to make it any better than our tour courses, but I'd imagine these conditions are not something the regular membership enjoys on a weekly basis. Also, does anyone know if the swap of the front nine and back nine was a permanent change or did they do that only for the Tour Championship? Ending with a par 3 is the worst thing I could ever imagine for a course.

Ever played Pasatiempo?

An 18th hole par 3 is quirky, but if the track is awesome anyway... I don't see how it matters.

I believe they just did it for the event but I agree with you on that front. I absolutely hate a course that ends with a par three and really don't like when a course opens with a par 3 on either 9.

As far as the conditions go. Given the cost and exclusivity of East Lake, I'd be willing to wager the conditions they play on a daily basis are not too far off what you see on television.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Pasatiiempo is a little bit over-rated. It was nice and I enjoyed my round but did not think it was close to being as good as its reputation.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

Conditions were wonderful. But the layout is boring. You can have both good conditions and an interesting layout like at The Memorial.

Pasatiiempo is a little bit over-rated. It was nice and I enjoyed my round but did not think it was close to being as good as its reputation.

It's almost heresy to claim that on this board, but I agree. It's a really nice public course, don't get me wrong, but it gets more kudos that it deserves. Glad to hear it's back in good shape after recent water shortages, but you can't remove the surrounding neighborhood from that course.

Ending with a par 3 is the worst thing I could ever imagine for a course.

Why?

Yea I don't get that either, I mean I would prefer if it didn't but you gotta route based on the land you are given. Rather play a strong par 3 to finish than a terribly manufactured par 4.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Conditions were wonderful. But the layout is boring. You can have both good conditions and an interesting layout like at The Memorial.

Played east lake last week. The switch is permanent. Course was still in fantastic shape even with just hosting an event. zero ball marks on the greens which blew my mind, and same with divots on the fairway.

It's almost heresy to claim that on this board, but I agree. It's a really nice public course, don't get me wrong, but it gets more kudos that it deserves. Glad to hear it's back in good shape after recent water shortages, but you can't remove the surrounding neighborhood from that course.

It's an Alister MacKenzie course so it has to be good. :taunt:

Seriously, old courses by famous architects always command higher ratings.

#2. To be fair I played it before the renovation, so I am not sure what I would think now with some of the character restored. When I played, it was essentially a field with really difficult green complexes.

I liked #8, mid pines and Tobacco Road better.

Now it's a field with really difficult green complexes surrounded by scuffy looking natural sand and weeds.

Then Erin Hills is really pulling off a trick being as pumped up the lists as it is.

I would agree to the extent that people wax poetic about Pasa - but for me it is an excellent second shot golf club and I really enjoy it. With the bunkering and green contours, you really need to strike your irons and wedges well to score. Maybe it's a bit too short for longer hitters, so it's just wedges.

Still don't think it's place in various lists is remotely as artificially high as Spyglass. There's no way it's that much better (IMHO not better at all) than courses such as Bayonet/Blackhorse and Poppy, which don't make it on such lists.

Lift Spyglass up and drop it down in Alabama and it's at it's level, as a quality $70/round on the RTJ Trail.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Then Erin Hills is really pulling off a trick being as pumped up the lists as it is.

I would agree to the extent that people wax poetic about Pasa - but for me it is an excellent second shot golf club and I really enjoy it. With the bunkering and green contours, you really need to strike your irons and wedges well to score. Maybe it's a bit too short for longer hitters, so it's just wedges.

Still don't think it's place in various lists is remotely as artificially high as Spyglass. There's no way it's that much better (IMHO not better at all) than courses such as Bayonet/Blackhorse and Poppy, which don't make it on such lists.

Lift Spyglass up and drop it down in Alabama and it's at it's level, as a quality $70/round on the RTJ Trail.

Erin Hills is definitely pulling some shenanigans being as highly rated as it is given it's numerous blind tee shots, boring par 4's and lame collection of par 3's. It's as nice a facility as I've seen north of the Mason Dixon, and a beautiful piece of property, but the course is mediocre.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Erin Hills is definitely pulling some shenanigans being as highly rated as it is given it's numerous blind tee shots, boring par 4's and lame collection of par 3's. It's as nice a facility as I've seen north of the Mason Dixon, and a beautiful piece of property, but the course is mediocre.

Good point. It is a bit of a repeatable slog. Of all the 'rated' courses I've played the last while, it is one of the least memorable ones I've only played once.

If I had to jot out the 18 hole routing of a course on a post-it or be shot, I'd sure as heck not choose it. The middle parts of each nine are tough to recollect - allbeit it has been 3.5 years now.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Good point. It is a bit of a repeatable slog. Of all the 'rated' courses I've played the last while, it is one of the least memorable ones I've only played once.

If I had to jot out the 18 hole routing of a course on a post-it or be shot, I'd sure as heck not choose it. The middle parts of each nine are tough to recollect - allbeit it has been 3.5 years now.

I had totally forgotten multiple holes within days.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

but it's not in alabama...it's on the pacific coast on one of the most magnificent pieces of real estate on earth. You could say the same about Cyprus, or Pebble, but the jagged coastline is part of the course. Would Olympic club be as good if I moved it to Modesto? Would the Ocean Course be the same if I played it in Missouri?

If it's not your cup of tea, so be it, but most people are going to consider this:

998d4755948fda155dd8004a4495f487.jpg

pretty amazing

[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra LTD Tensei Pro Blue 70[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Titleist 816H1 17* GD AD HY 85[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Callaway Apex 20* GD AD HY 95[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Nike Vapor Pro 4-pw Recoil 110 proto[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Vokey SM6 50-54-58 Recoil 125 proto[/font][/size][/b]

but it's not in alabama...it's on the pacific coast on one of the most magnificent pieces of real estate on earth. You could say the same about Cyprus, or Pebble, but the jagged coastline is part of the course. Would Olympic club be as good if I moved it to Modesto? Would the Ocean Course be the same if I played it in Missouri?

If it's not your cup of tea, so be it, but most people are going to consider this:

pretty amazing

Which hole at Spyglass is that again? Funny, think that would stick in the memory.

F.T.

pretty amazing

Which hole at Spyglass is that again? Funny, think that would stick in the memory.

pretty sure that is 16 at Cyprus. I was just pointing out that the course can't be removed from the scenery/land. Someone else mentioned Pebble was overrated. Most of these places couldn't be built, except where they are...unless it is Shadow Creek and then all bets are off.

Spyglass doesn't have quite the views of a Pebble Beach or Cyprus, but it is still amazing. It's conditioning is also absolutely stunning. Is it a masterpiece of golf course design, maybe not, but I don't think you can much overrate it.

[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra LTD Tensei Pro Blue 70[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Titleist 816H1 17* GD AD HY 85[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Callaway Apex 20* GD AD HY 95[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Nike Vapor Pro 4-pw Recoil 110 proto[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Vokey SM6 50-54-58 Recoil 125 proto[/font][/size][/b]

pretty amazing

pretty sure that is 16 at Cyprus. I was just pointing out that the course can't be removed from the scenery/land. Someone else mentioned Pebble was overrated. Most of these places couldn't be built, except where they are...unless it is Shadow Creek and then all bets are off.

Spyglass doesn't have quite the views of a Pebble Beach or Cyprus, but it is still amazing. It's conditioning is also absolutely stunning. Is it a masterpiece of golf course design, maybe not, but I don't think you can much overrate it.

Absolutely I agree that the setting has an impact on a golf course, but it doesn't save a largely mediocre one (Old Head in Kinsale, Ireland) or reduce the quality of the shot values of one that lacks a cool setting (Carnoustie or The Rawls Course for example).

But in regards to Spy, it can largely be recreated and has been in Alabama and I am sure elsewhere RTJ had hilly property with trees on it. There's nothing special in the turf, the holes do not run right along the beach in a unique manner, due to being against a cliff/beach, or something along the lines of what Pebble has that makes it unrecreatable as such. Maybe if I liked RTJ generally more than I do, I'd like the course better.

I don't think it's not a good course and I can agree it's kept in good nick, but a top whatever it is, is overrated in my books. And it seems like somepeople like to juxtapose their admiration for Spy versus what they say is the 'overrated' Pebble, which just increases its overratedness in my books :) Like talking up that band or book, that's not quite that popular, which in turn gives it a cachet value it maybe doesn't quite have.

Anyhoo, always fun to have a back and forth about golf :)

F.T.