2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Most Overrated Course

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ARCADIA BLUFFS in Northern Michigan is the most overrated course I've ever played. Views are great but course is just good. Nothing more.

Sorry to hear that since I'm going there in August. Hopefully, my experience will align with most other raters who think it's a really good course.

I agree with Entourage. It is not a great course, no where near #13 on the Public list Golf Digest give it. I'm not saying it's a bad course and I would play there again happily, but it is vastly overrated to it's position in the rankings.

ARCADIA BLUFFS in Northern Michigan is the most overrated course I've ever played. Views are great but course is just good. Nothing more.

Sorry to hear that since I'm going there in August. Hopefully, my experience will align with most other raters who think it's a really good course.

I would have to agree that it is overrated. A couple quirky holes. But really it's that you are never near the water and it's never in play.

I'll throw out all 4 of the highly ranked courses in Columbus OH. Muirfield Village, Scioto, Double Eagle and The Golf Club. All extremely over rated. Which makes Columbus the most over rated golf city in America IMO.

Have you played all 4? I get Double Eagle being overrated and even Scioto. Scioto, I feel, is mostly ranked high because it's an old school Donald Ross design and has a lot of history. But the course itself is kind of your typical Donald Ross track just super well maintained. I agree, it's rated a bit high. I also don't really get Double Eagle being that high (really being on the list at all). I think it's just the exclusivity of the place. But it doesn't have any real memorable holes and it plays like a nice long walk in the middle of nowhere.

Now Village and The Golf Club. I actually firmly believe Village is a masterful design. There isn't a ton to the course at face value but the more you play it and the more time you spend there the more you understand the nuances of the course and design. It's a course that absolutely rewards well executed shots and absolutely penalizes poor positioning and poor execution. And it's done with no gimmicks. No crazy trickery, no crazy water features or bunkers/trees/water sitting in the middle of the fairway. The only hole I question on the design is the tee shot on #5. But beyond that it, IMO, is a truly great design which will test every club and every shot in your bag. Not to mention, they very well may have the best greens (and best conditioned course for that matter) in the entire country. Certainly the best I have played (I have played 15 or so top 100 including 4 top 10 courses).

Yes I've played all 4. Spent 3 full days at MV played 45,45,36 there. Nice course but I've played many many many course I think are better. Nowhere close to my favorite greens either. Maybe the best nicklaus course I've played but that isn't saying much. I personally think the best course in Ohio is Moraine CC just outside Dayton. Just reopened in June after major restoration work and should be Top 50-25 in the country easy.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

I agree with Entourage. It is not a great course, no where near #13 on the Public list Golf Digest give it. I'm not saying it's a bad course and I would play there again happily, but it is vastly overrated to it's position in the rankings.

Agreed. Just like Erin Hills. A new (new enough) track that shot way up, way beyond any relation to its actual quality.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I would agree w this also.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

ABs is a great course with spectacular views, EntourageLife probably had a bad round of golf and had to find something to take it out on.

ABs is a great course with spectacular views, EntourageLife probably had a bad round of golf and had to find something to take it out on.

Hey Billy, what's up? No I'm just being honest about Arcadia Bluffs. If you like it great but it's just average course. Views are amazing but design is so so.

It's a fun time but not worth the hype. It's an honest assessment and if you discuss with few more venerable players you'll find the same feedback...

Hey Billy, what's up? No I'm just being honest about Arcadia Bluffs. If you like it great but it's just average course. Views are amazing but design is so so.

It's a fun time but not worth the hype. It's an honest assessment and if you discuss with few more venerable players you'll find the same feedback...

I've played around 80 of the top 100 depending on list and Arcadia doesn't belong anywhere near a top 100 list unless it's top 100 most scenic courses. I didn't play bad there in fact the last time I played there was the last time I beat a good friend of mine who is a better player than me that I rarely beat. So if how I played and the results of my match were the deciding factor it would be way up there for me. Simply put, it's not.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

I've played around 80 of the top 100 depending on list and Arcadia doesn't belong anywhere near a top 100 list unless it's top 100 most scenic courses. I didn't play bad there in fact the last time I played there was the last time I beat a good friend of mine who is a better player than me that I rarely beat. So if how I played and the results of my match were the deciding factor it would be way up there for me. Simply put, it's not.

Thank you Fairway Fred for posting this reply. I agree 100%. I actually feel bad for golfers who rave about this course. They just don't know...

Thank you Fairway Fred for posting this reply. I agree 100%. I actually feel bad for golfers who rave about this course. They just don't know...

EntLife is right - AB is a fun time. Fun time, memorable hole after memorable hole, great service, great conditions, spectacular views... most definitely worthy of the hype and rankings.

Roadking, I think you will really like AB. If you don't mind the potential of shooting 10+ strokes above your average because you found too many of the penal bunkers or thick grassy dunes, while a higher hc beats your score because they somehow avoided that trouble, you'll be just fine. It can also be frustrating to wait for your partners while they flail away in rough and bunkers all day.

The biggest gripe I hear about AB is that it's overrated and just an "ok" course, but I hear very little as to why it's overrated. Some complain it feels manufactured, but please don't use that reason then talk about how awesome Whistling Straights is. Parts of AB may indeed be manufactured, as are most golf courses. But few as spectacularly as Arcadia Bluffs. It is, simply, a must-play Great Lakes/Midwest course.

EntLife is right - AB is a fun time. Fun time, memorable hole after memorable hole, great service, great conditions, spectacular views... most definitely worthy of the hype and rankings.

Roadking, I think you will really like AB. If you don't mind the potential of shooting 10+ strokes above your average because you found too many of the penal bunkers or thick grassy dunes, while a higher hc beats your score because they somehow avoided that trouble, you'll be just fine. It can also be frustrating to wait for your partners while they flail away in rough and bunkers all day.

The biggest gripe I hear about AB is that it's overrated and just an "ok" course, but I hear very little as to why it's overrated. Some complain it feels manufactured, but please don't use that reason then talk about how awesome Whistling Straights is. Parts of AB may indeed be manufactured, as are most golf courses. But few as spectacularly as Arcadia Bluffs. It is, simply, a must-play Great Lakes/Midwest course.

I don't want to sound over-critical of a course that is still enjoyable; however, in regards to it being overrated:

- holes 3 to 5 feel like one long continuation of each other, until you get to the point where you cross all the waste bunkers to the green on 5. Each tee shot is trouble right, safer left as you trundle down the hill.

- holes 3 to 7 really do feel like a march down and back up and regardless of any attempt to make them look otherwise, are straight holes

- hole 12 could have been fantastic with the bunker on the other side, but they went safe and put it there as a buffer and gave players an easy bail right

- overall I felt there was a real sameyness to the ups and downs that could have been handled more interestingly with more cross the hill holes, but I got the feeling the developers wanted to maximize the wow factor of having teeballs framed by the lake.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Pebble Beach

I should point out that I played Cypress Point the previous day and enjoyed that so much, Pebble was a little bit of a let down in comparison.

This is not to say that I think Pebble beach is a "bad" track...I don't think that at all.

In my opinion, the beautiful setting comprised of some pretty good holes just isn't worth the $500 price tag that comes along with it more than once. I didn't think all of the holes were out of this world, as the rankings may suggest. The truth is, half of what you're paying for is the prestige of being able to tell your buddies that you played one of the most iconic golf courses in the US...not completely for the golf alone.

With all of that being said, I wouldn't want this opinion to keep someone from playing there once...it's definitely one any golf addict should play. Once.

I don't want to sound over-critical of a course that is still enjoyable; however, in regards to it being overrated:

- holes 3 to 5 feel like one long continuation of each other, until you get to the point where you cross all the waste bunkers to the green on 5. Each tee shot is trouble right, safer left as you trundle down the hill.

- holes 3 to 7 really do feel like a march down and back up and regardless of any attempt to make them look otherwise, are straight holes

- hole 12 could have been fantastic with the bunker on the other side, but they went safe and put it there as a buffer and gave players an easy bail right

- overall I felt there was a real sameyness to the ups and downs that could have been handled more interestingly with more cross the hill holes, but I got the feeling the developers wanted to maximize the wow factor of having teeballs framed by the lake.

I appreciate this type of response, with criticisms of specific elements. I'd like to respond to your points, not to say that you are "wrong", of course, but to advance the discussion of AB's architecture.

- I love the stretch of holes 3-5 (and might as well include 6). All three holes present a different challenge and visuals and though they run in the same general direction, I think it's a glorious march from the high point of the property, on the 3rd's tee box, down to the edge of the bluff above Lake Michigan near the 5th green. The tee shot on 3 is one of my favorites anywhere. I think there is plenty of trouble down the left side of the hole - especially when you get to your ball in left trouble and have to consider how you are going to make your way to the green. The best approach is from the right to this horizon green. The 4th's green, by comparison, is set in a little amphitheater and best approached from the left as there is a slight dogleg right. There is trouble on the left of #5 as well. Anyone thinking about reaching the green in two shots, will be playing down the left side, but miss the fairway left and your chance to get home in two are gone. This is another slight dogleg hole, this time left, with it's biarritz green sitting on its own atop a dune over Lake Michigan.

- Heading back "up" the property, away from the lake, is the 7th, which I don't consider to be among the memorable holes, but still fun to play.

- Given the great piece of property the designers had to work with, all sorts of different options could have been executed, I suppose. While the 12th sits high above Lake Michigan to the left, the hole dictates that you play out to the right. Honestly, your idea of switching the bunker to the right and playing down the fairway with the lake hard to left, would also be great, I do like the feature of playing down the right side and having the option to run the ball up to the green with the right to left slope.

- I agree that more cross hill shots could have been designed, but for as many people who would appreciate it, there would be twice as many, at least, complaining about blind shots. The concept of tee balls framed against the lake was used to great effect and I finish my rounds there wanting just one more of those balls, rather than being jaded by the effect.

Torrey is def overated. I've never played pebble and never will for $500. Torrey not on the coast would just be a long hard RTJ course and there are hundreds of those. I thought streamsong was a cool course but wasn't blown away. also played like crap so I never got to hit many shots as they were advertised.

Well both Torrey courses are William Bell original designs and the South was redesigned by Rees Jones (not RTJ) in 2001, which is why Mickleson isn't a fan of the South course now since he's generally not a fan of anything Rees Jones touches.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I have two courses:

Turtle Bay - Palmer course. Not because of the price as it was a comped round for me. But if I'm playing golf in Hawaii I want to see the ocean and the only hole you get that is #17 which is why that's the only hole they ever show of that course in print advertising. After that for all you know you might be in South Carolina. Not a bad course by any means but show me the ocean.

Scotland Run - Williamstown, NJ. This is a course that always used to show up on those "Best public courses you can play" lists and but I've played that course more than 10 times and I don't get it. First it can't decide what kind of course it wants to be. Half the course plays like an east coast tree lined course and the other half they have looking like a links style course but of course it doesn't play like it. There are some good holes. #16 is one of the best risk/reward par 4's I've ever seen and #18 is a really good closer for a par 5. But after that? #2 is a par 4 that would be great but they have two greens complexes and they always play the right one which sort of neuters the hole, IMO. The left green complex is more demanding of both the approach and the drive as it makes you take on more of a hazard on a severe dogleg left. I asked them one time why they don't play the left hand green more and the response was that the green doesn't get enough sunlight. Then cut down some trees! They won't be missed as it's like Sherwood Forest around that green. There are some other solid holes but overall I never understood the supposed greatness of that place.

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I believe both Torrey Pines North and South are overrated. They are very nice muni courses that have a view from a few holes, but there's lots of golf courses with even better water views in my opinion. I think its obscene that they now charge non-resident rates of 250.00 weekdays and 300.00 for weekends. I found Pacific Grove (especially the back nine) more visually appealing and as much fun to play for around 60 bucks.

non resident value wise, torrey pines is a kick in the sack. hahahaha but i'll gladly spend a day at torrey over a lot of places in the country;

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Keep the Torrey hatred going... Please, ooh please don't play Torrey, makes it easier for me to use my city resident card!!!!

The thing people lose site of when complaining about Torrey and the price is its municipal course status. Is $200+ a lot to play a muni? Yes.....but. It's a PGA Tour and major championship site. It's not unusual for muni's to have separate rates for residents and non-residents and most of the time the difference is not all that high. But if they made the non-resident rate say $90 that place would be overrun. It gets a lot of play as it is. So as a former county resident (Chula Vista) did I like it? No. But I completely understand it. For those complaining about the course itself and the challenge it poses, well opinions are subjective and I won't argue but disagree. There's really only two holes that pose a visually intimidating look IMO. #3 and #16 when played from the left tee box over the canyon. To me the real beauty of the design is the rough and the bunkering. The fairway bunkering in particular is beautifully designed. Combine that with the greens and their contours and slopes and it presents a very difficult total package. If you shoot a good score there you would have shot a good score anywhere.

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Keep the Torrey hatred going... Please, ooh please don't play Torrey, makes it easier for me to use my city resident card!!!!

The thing people lose site of when complaining about Torrey and the price is its municipal course status. Is $200+ a lot to play a muni? Yes.....but. It's a PGA Tour and major championship site. It's not unusual for muni's to have separate rates for residents and non-residents and most of the time the difference is not all that high. But if they made the non-resident rate say $90 that place would be overrun. It gets a lot of play as it is. So as a former county resident (Chula Vista) did I like it? No. But I completely understand it. For those complaining about the course itself and the challenge it poses, well opinions are subjective and I won't argue but disagree. There's really only two holes that pose a visually intimidating look IMO. #3 and #16 when played from the left tee box over the canyon. To me the real beauty of the design is the rough and the bunkering. The fairway bunkering in particular is beautifully designed. Combine that with the greens and their contours and slopes and it presents a very difficult total package. If you shoot a good score there you would have shot a good score anywhere.

Agreed. No different than Harding Park or in season Scottsdale-Stadium. The jacked out-of-towner rates are silly for those courses and that helps lead to them being considered overrated, as well as the association with a pro event meaning a course is all that.

Heck even at the Bay Area rate Harding is too much and while I enjoyed the Stadium course when I played it. I got a night-before GN rate, I couldn't imagine paying the peak rate there.

"Value" is a slippery slope of an argument, but I don't see myself ever playing Torrey, as I'm not that drawn to it or the area to begin with and those rates push the perceived value for me off the cliff... or at least into one of those paragliders.

F.T.

^^^That's how I feel about shadows creek. Not worth the 500 bucks and I don't care for gambling or prostitutes to make my way to Vegas. =)

rather play pauite and reflection bay if I'm in vegas anyways.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

In fairness to Torrey Pines, from a $$$ perspective, it is certainly one of the most affordable US Open venues that you can play. Bethpage and Chambers Bay are both a little bit cheaper - but Torrey is a bargain compared to Pebble Beach or Pinehurst, let alone what a round at Oakmont or Shinnecock would cost as a guest.

On the question of whether it's "over rated", you've got to understand how the Golf Digest rankings are built and realize that Torrey has two critical things going for it: (1) it's a really tough golf course from the tips - 7600 yards with a 78.2/144 rating/slope; and (2) it has great scenery. These two components account for 1/3rd of the overall score. So for people who don't put a ton of value into the scenery or toughness, it is naturally going to seem over rated.

Ill agree with you and won't argue members opinions, but if they're bringing the USO back, it has to say something.. And Ill put my flame retardant suit on, but I get tired of the USO out east and its a weather crapshoot.