2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Most Overrated Course

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carnoustie is fantastic IMHO. It's pretty much one strong hole after the next, with those final 5 holes making for a spirited and demanding finish to the round. It seems for those who value aesthetics, it can have a serious impact on their enjoyment and appreciation over and above shot values and the actual golf holes themselves.

How do you feel about Ballybunion BTW? You cannot like that caravan park much ;)

And almost forgot...Big Sky in Pemberton BC. This course always gets mad props and high ratings in Canadian golf rankings and publications. I honestly can't remember a hole there. Perhaps I was too busy looking at the mountains. The setting is impressive, but that's about it.

It's "highly rated" because it's on a tallest midgets list. Canada (apart from Cabot and the Rockies) isn't really blessed with many truly outstanding public courses. There's lots of good golf, but not too many worth crossing an ocean for. Big Sky is a nice course and the setting is very cool, but I agree there is nothing remarkable about the course itself.

Sounds like if we could drop Carnoustie on top of Big Sky, you'd be sorted though :)

Actually, a hybrid Carnoustie/Big Sky love child of a course (with a view of the ocean) might just do the trick! I'll give you the finishing holes at Carnoustie-they are impressive. It has rep of being very difficult, and I never found it that way. I didn't light it up, mind you, but compared to a truly diabolical links course like The European Club in Ireland, I didn't find it particularly penal or "nasty." I think the fact that it was off the rota for 24 years (1975-99) is a bit of an indictment as well, although there may have been some technical reasons for this. Overall, not a bad course, just overrated. I'm form Canada originally, so I wasn't making a trip especially for Big Sky, so it was no big deal. I play in BC, and it irks me that Big Sky rates when there are so many other better courses in the province.

Ha! What? Those reverse camber doglegs into a tight landing area, with thick rough and dunes is tricky? ;) Playing The European Club this May for the first time in over a decade. Played it 4 times before and always enjoy it, but you do need to have your teeball working.

And yes when I was at Big Sky last summer, I was thinking it was just a pleasant, modern, parkland course surrounded by awesomeness. Whistler golf as a whole is massively overrated-overpriced. I'll do it every few years to see my mates, but none of those courses are worth their rack rate.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I'm gonna add to the Canadian theme.

Glen Abbey - Hots the Canadian Open (way to often) and it's a pretty forgettable track. A couple good holes down in the valley and a good 18th, but it's not even in the top 50 in the GTA.

Silvertip in Canmore - Beautiful setting but for $175 it has mediocre greens and rocks in the bunkers. Not a track I'll be going back to anytime soon.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-P C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  47°, 52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Studio Select Newport 2.6
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

Not as big a name as some of the other courses that have been discussed but I'll say that Disney's Magnolia Course was an utter disappointment in my eyes. Orlando golf is usually pretty solid and given the PGA Tour's stop there, I had high expectations. I have a really hard time remembering many of the holes out there, nothing gave me the "wow factor" when I was playing it, and it was way too crowded (It is a Disney course, I get that). Certainly not on my repeat list for Orlando golf.

Replying to an old post, I know, but I just played the Magnolia course last week, and it's not a bad track, and from what I understand about the area this time of year, as a resort guest, it wasn't actually that badly priced. And fortunately, we hit it on a Wednesday morning, and the pace of play was great. We finished as a foursome in about 3.5 hours. From a design perspective, my main beef with it is that every approach shot is basically the same. You're hitting from a flat area to a green built on a small hill. I'm guessing this is for drainage, and I know the land is flat in the area, but it gets pretty repetitive. I don't know that the course is ranked super high, but I have seen int on some lists of the best courses in the state. I haven't played a lot in Florida, but I'd say that a couple of the courses that I've played at PGA Village are better designs than Magnolia.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I've played it so I can talk about it.

If you move Torrey Pines (South) five miles inland (or better yet to the Midwest), would it have any acclaim?

You could say the same thing about many other seaside courses.

I would agree that any course that has great scenery is more enjoyable because of the scenery.. which enhances the golfing experience. Whether it is on the ocean, in the mountains, desert,etc.... I love courses that have beautiful scenery or atmosphere. A great example for me is Brickyard in Indy. A lot of the reason it leaves an impression on people is because you get to play 3 holes inside a world famous race track and many just outside the track where you can see it. Move it to middle of nowhere Indiana and it just isn't the same course.

If you move Torrey Pines (South) five miles inland (or better yet to the Midwest), would it have any acclaim?

Examples?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

ARCADIA BLUFFS in Northern Michigan is the most overrated course I've ever played. Views are great but course is just good. Nothing more.

Sorry to hear that since I'm going there in August. Hopefully, my experience will align with most other raters who think it's a really good course.

ABs is a great course with spectacular views, EntourageLife probably had a bad round of golf and had to find something to take it out on.

Hey Billy, what's up? No I'm just being honest about Arcadia Bluffs. If you like it great but it's just average course. Views are amazing but design is so so.

It's a fun time but not worth the hype. It's an honest assessment and if you discuss with few more venerable players you'll find the same feedback...

Arcadia is one of the most beautiful courses you could ever play, but as a golf test, it's not that great of a design. There are some very good holes, but there's also a repetitiveness to it, especially on the front 9. I remember the views, but not the golf course. There are other courses in Michigan that aren't rated as highly that I think are better designs. Forest Dunes and Kingsley Club are prime examples.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I like Palm at Disney better than Magnolia.

It's too bad Osprey Ridge is gone; that was the best.

Osprey Ridge is still there. It's now The Four Season's course Tranquillo. Very very good. They had to eliminate #18 and design another hole/finish but overall golf course is very solid. Even better than Osprey Ridge.

I like Palm at Disney better than Magnolia.

It's too bad Osprey Ridge is gone; that was the best.

Osprey Ridge is still there. It's now The Four Season's course Tranquillo. Very very good. They had to eliminate #18 and design another hole/finish but overall golf course is very solid. Even better than Osprey Ridge.

I was aware that the course itself was still there under different ownership, but I was not aware #18 was the only change. Between google earth and image searches it looked like it was significantly different.

Examples?

Would Pebble Beach be #7, or even in the Top 50 (or 100), if it wasn't on one of the most beautiful pieces of land in the country?

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Examples?

Would Pebble Beach be #7, or even in the Top 50 (or 100), if it wasn't on one of the most beautiful pieces of land in the country?

6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 17,18 - and to a lesser extent 4 & 5 - exist because of their proximity to the cliffs/shoreline and the unique topography they occupy. You are not (without Warren Buffet's fortune maybe) recreating 6-10 anywhere else. You cannot divorce the location from the course, for that very reason, that it is a key component in those excellent holes.

It is pretty there yes, but it's also really built up, and not like some spit of land in the UK or Ireland or Oregon, where it's just you and the golf, and the way you set off is hardly the most blissful start to a round.

I think the contention with Torrey is that there's not much there, that cannot be found elsewhere, and that it is largely just a parkland course built on a headland. And also that one poster earlier directly made that headland a key component of its appeal, over the quality and variety found playing the course itself.

F.T.

Examples?

6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 17,18 - and to a lesser extent 4 & 5 - exist because of their proximity to the cliffs/shoreline and the unique topography they occupy. You are not (without Warren Buffet's fortune maybe) recreating 6-10 anywhere else. You cannot divorce the location from the course, for that very reason, that it is a key component in those excellent holes.

It is pretty there yes, but it's also really built up, and not like some spit of land in the UK or Ireland or Oregon, where it's just you and the golf, and the way you set off is hardly the most blissful start to a round.

I think the contention with Torrey is that there's not much there, that cannot be found elsewhere, and that it is largely just a parkland course built on a headland. And also that one poster earlier directly made that headland a key component of its appeal, over the quality and variety found playing the course itself.

Yea that's what I was going to say, Pebble uses the coast as an integral part of the course, at Torrey its just there for the view

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I think the contention with Torrey is that there's not much there, that cannot be found elsewhere, and that it is largely just a parkland course built on a headland.

I can understand that, other than 3-4, you could place the rest of the course anywhere inland.

I guess I should ask first what rating we are using for Torrey to declare it overrated; it isn't in the Golf Digest Top 100. Personally, I liked Torrey better than #58 Oak Tree National and possibly #21 Kiawah.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I think the contention with Torrey is that there's not much there, that cannot be found elsewhere, and that it is largely just a parkland course built on a headland.

I can understand that, other than 3-4, you could place the rest of the course anywhere inland.

I guess I should ask first what rating we are using for Torrey to declare it overrated; it isn't in the Golf Digest Top 100. Personally, I liked Torrey better than #58 Oak Tree National and possibly #21 Kiawah.

Beats me?

I'd assumed it was more just the presumed general cachet value attributed to the course, versus folk's perceived quality of it.

How's that for a load of waffle? :)

F.T.

Arcadia is one of the most beautiful courses you could ever play, but as a golf test, it's not that great of a design. There are some very good holes, but there's also a repetitiveness to it, especially on the front 9. I remember the views, but not the golf course. There are other courses in Michigan that aren't rated as highly that I think are better designs. Forest Dunes and Kingsley Club are prime examples.

I struggle to see how the front 9 at Arcadia Bluffs is repetitive. There are 3 of each pars on the front. The par 3's go, flat (2), uphill (6), downhill (9). The par 5's, dogleg right (1), straight (3), dogleg left (5). Green sites range from flat land, to amphitheater, to horizon, to greens on knolls... Sure, holes 3-5 run the same direction, but it's a glorious stretch from the highest point on the property down to the edge of Lake Michigan and each hole asks for different strategy. The way I see it, it is nearly the antithesis of a repetitive outward half.

I struggle to see how the front 9 at Arcadia Bluffs is repetitive. There are 3 of each pars on the front. The par 3's go, flat (2), uphill (6), downhill (9). The par 5's, dogleg right (1), straight (3), dogleg left (5). Green sites range from flat land, to amphitheater, to horizon, to greens on knolls... Sure, holes 3-5 run the same direction, but it's a glorious stretch from the highest point on the property down to the edge of Lake Michigan and each hole asks for different strategy. The way I see it, it is nearly the antithesis of a repetitive outward half.

Please stop trying to justify Arcadia Bluffs. Just enjoy the views...

To me Bethpage black is overrated. What makes it hard is walking. It has way too much sand and the greens keeper on purpose leaves the sand loose ( way to many fried eggs) cause people enter the traps wrong and f*** up them up. Most people on line in the morning are for the Red course anyway.

I disagree but can see why you feel it's overated. The black is a tough one because it's a public course, and the overall experience tends to suck because of the pace of play. Maintenence wise, it runs into public course issues as well. If it was private, I think it would be by far one of the best in the world. It is the ultimate test of ones golf game, and you def cannot fake it around there. I also think ift would be better if you actually opened black on red's 1, and closed on red's 18. The red is a brilliant course in its own right that doesn't get enough love in my opinion.

the black course is not over-rated. it is by far the best muni course in the united states. there is no other.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Please stop trying to justify Arcadia Bluffs. Just enjoy the views...

Ooh! Sure I'll bite again :)

While from the same markers there is already a striking resemblance, play 1 from the red tees and 8 from the white tees; it's the same hole.

5 isn't a dog leg for the vast majority of golfers; it's straight off the tee, followed up with a boring, one-option only 2nd shot layup and then a flick across the waste area.

Overall, with the exception of 8 and 12, every other non-par 3 runs straight up or straight down the hill with fairways in little valleys bordered by mounds, that's pretty much a golf course definition of repetitive.

No one is disparaging your grandma here or saying it's a rubbish track, just asking for some perspective :)

I think the 36 holes on/near Lake Michigan in Wisconsin show you how to make a course choc full of variety, out of nothing.

F.T.

Turtle Point at Kiawah, not a fan. Lots of close OB because of housing. Ocean, Osprey Point are by far better. The River or Cassique if you have a friend that is a member.

Turtle point only has the 3 holes on the Ocean that make it what is it.. Nothing special.. The Ocean course is the king of kings! The rest of the resort ares are mediocre at best.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Turtle Point at Kiawah, not a fan. Lots of close OB because of housing. Ocean, Osprey Point are by far better. The River or Cassique if you have a friend that is a member.

Turtle point only has the 3 holes on the Ocean that make it what is it.. Nothing special.. The Ocean course is the king of kings! The rest of the resort ares are mediocre at best.

This is what's kept us away from Kiawah to this point and trying other new spots or returning to old haunts, what other courses in the area make it worth getting on a plane for a 3 day weekend and 5 rounds of golf? 36 on the Ocean course and where do you get your other 3 rounds from? That's not really rhetorical ;) I'll go read some Southeast/Carolinas threads now!

F.T.

This is what's kept us away from Kiawah to this point and trying other new spots or returning to old haunts, what other courses in the area make it worth getting on a plane for a 3 day weekend and 5 rounds of golf? 36 on the Ocean course and where do you get your other 3 rounds from? That's not really rhetorical ;) I'll go read some Southeast/Carolinas threads now!

The other courses at Kiawah are not terrible but not worth the asking price. I use to work at Ocean/ Turtle and got to play all the courses a fair share. A lot of better options in HHI, Myrtle beach, Pinehurst.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

While from the same markers there is already a striking resemblance, play 1 from the red tees and 8 from the white tees; it's the same hole.

Is this a typo or a really contrived comparison? Holes 1 and 8 are nothing alike. Why would anyone play 1 from the red tees and 8 from the white? One hole is a par 5 on flatish ground while the other is a par 4 with a sloping fairway and elevated green. This just doesn't make sense, but such are many (not all) of the criticisms of AB.

Overall, with the exception of 8 and 12, every other non-par 3 runs straight up or straight down the hill with fairways in little valleys bordered by mounds, that's pretty much a golf course definition of repetitive.

I'm afraid there is a long list of highly rated courses that can fit that description.

No one is disparaging your grandma here or saying it's a rubbish track, just asking for some perspective :)

I think the 36 holes on/near Lake Michigan in Wisconsin show you how to make a course choc full of variety, out of nothing.

I have no personal interest in AB beyond the 45 holes I've played there being among the most memorable and enjoyable time I've spent on a golf course. I'm just looking for criticisms of the course with some substance beyond "great views and not much else", from those who think it's overrated.

I haven't played the course on the opposite shore of Lake Michigan, but from what I see and hear from people who I play with who have played there, I'd rather play AB three times for the same $$$.

Is this a typo or a really contrived comparison? Holes 1 and 8 are nothing alike. Why would anyone play 1 from the red tees and 8 from the white? One hole is a par 5 on flatish ground while the other is a par 4 with a sloping fairway and elevated green. This just doesn't make sense, but such are many (not all) of the criticisms of AB.

I'm afraid there is a long list of highly rated courses that can fit that description.

I have no personal interest in AB beyond the 45 holes I've played there being among the most memorable and enjoyable time I've spent on a golf course. I'm just looking for criticisms of the course with some substance beyond "great views and not much else", from those who think it's overrated.

I haven't played the course on the opposite shore of Lake Michigan, but from what I see and hear from people who I play with who have played there, I'd rather play AB three times for the same $$$.

Arcadia Bluffs lol