2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos Γ—

Most Overrated Course

i think bethpage at $200 is twice the course torrey pines is. every hole is long with 4 inch wet rough, i'll pass. good on them for exploiting the USGA and PGA's love afair with hard courses and 15 yd wide fairways. wait till erin hills....(hard eye roll) Give me harbour town, sawgrass, east lake, any of those are infinitley more intersting and more thoughtfully designed than TP. which is what I'm calling it from now on, cause thats what I'm gonna keep doing, pooping on it.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should clarify that I played Torrey Pines in mid 1990's just before the Buick Invitational that year. The fairways and greens were being prepared for the event and the greens were already lightning fast. I played both courses that day and didn't pay much over 25.00 for either one. I played the south once again in 2005 as I was curious about the redesign that had occurred a few years before. I think I paid a little over 50.00 at that time as a walk-on. I wanted to take my son there this year until I found out about the new green fee structure. Can I say sticker shock! While i enjoyed both courses in the past it's hard for me to justify those fees. I do not play from the tips nor do I enjoy being beat up by a course just for the sake of being beat up so that may account for my experience. Maybe it's just an average course from the whites. It is, however, one of those courses that everyone should have the opportunity to play at least once, but the City seems to be taking that opportunity away with its current fee structure.

I should clarify that I played Torrey Pines in mid 1990's just before the Buick Invitational that year. The fairways and greens were being prepared for the event and the greens were already lightning fast. I played both courses that day and didn't pay much over 25.00 for either one. I played the south once again in 2005 as I was curious about the redesign that had occurred a few years before. I think I paid a little over 50.00 at that time as a walk-on. I wanted to take my son there this year until I found out about the new green fee structure. Can I say sticker shock! While i enjoyed both courses in the past it's hard for me to justify those fees. I do not play from the tips nor do I enjoy being beat up by a course just for the sake of being beat up so that may account for my experience. Maybe it's just an average course from the whites. It is, however, one of those courses that everyone should have the opportunity to play at least once, but the City seems to be taking that opportunity away with its current fee structure.

The idea of a muni is to offer city residents a good golf experience at an affordable price. Its that way everywhere, not just SD. But not every muni hosts an annual PGA event, majors, and is considered a world class course. Muni's allow non residents to play but generally at a higher price. The reason non resident rates are so high at Torrey is to keep the ratio of resident to non resident player where they want it. You and I may not like it but the people that run it care more about what the residents (voters) think a lot more than what the non residents (non voters) think.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-PΒ  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSXΒ  Β 

Β 

Roadking, I think you will really like AB. If you don't mind the potential of shooting 10+ strokes above your average because you found too many of the penal bunkers or thick grassy dunes, while a higher hc beats your score because they somehow avoided that trouble, you'll be just fine. It can also be frustrating to wait for your partners while they flail away in rough and bunkers all day.

Β 

I always shoot ten strokes above my average..... :swoon:

Carnoustie--Championship Course. So overrated. Not terrible, but just not up to the other rota and links course I've played in Scotland. Played it first in 2009 and wasn't impressed. Went back on another tour in 2011, convinced it was "just me," and was even less impressed the second time. I really don't like the fact that holes 8-11 (if memory serves me) route through a 'newish' housing area, and there are trees in this area, and this ruins the aesthetics for me. It's also feels like it's miles away from the ocean, even though it's not that far. Sure, these criticisms might seem trifling, but when your travelling halfway around the world to play there (I live in Singapore) you expect a bit more. Again, not a bad course, but I really believe that if Van de Velde hadn't melted down there, Carnoustie wouldn't be held in such high esteem.

Carnoustie--Championship Course. So overrated. Not terrible, but just not up to the other rota and links course I've played in Scotland. Played it first in 2009 and wasn't impressed. Went back on another tour in 2011, convinced it was "just me," and was even less impressed the second time. I really don't like the fact that holes 8-11 (if memory serves me) route through a 'newish' housing area, and there are trees in this area, and this ruins the aesthetics for me. It's also feels like it's miles away from the ocean, even though it's not that far. Sure, these criticisms might seem trifling, but when your travelling halfway around the world to play there (I live in Singapore) you expect a bit more. Again, not a bad course, but I really believe that if Van de Velde hadn't melted down there, Carnoustie wouldn't be held in such high esteem.

Β 

Carnoustie is fantastic IMHO. It's pretty much one strong hole after the next, with those final 5 holes making for a spirited and demanding finish to the round. It seems for those who value aesthetics, it can have a serious impact on their enjoyment and appreciation over and above shot values and the actual golf holes themselves.

How do you feel about Ballybunion BTW? You cannot like that caravan park much ;)

Β 

And almost forgot...Big Sky in Pemberton BC. This course always gets mad props and high ratings in Canadian golf rankings and publications. I honestly can't remember a hole there. Perhaps I was too busy looking at the mountains. The setting is impressive, but that's about it.

Β 

It's "highly rated" because it's on a tallest midgets list. Canada (apart from Cabot and the Rockies) isn't really blessed with many truly outstanding public courses. There's lots of good golf, but not too many worth crossing an ocean for. Big Sky is a nice course and the setting is very cool, but I agree there is nothing remarkable about the course itself.

Β 

Sounds like if we could drop Carnoustie on top of Big Sky, you'd be sorted though :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |Β  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I'm going to get flamed for this.... especially this week, but Harbour Town (or at least 15 holes of HT)

Β 

I love the trees and the last two holes (maybe three) but if you remove them it is a boring layout with houses and OB WAY too close to just about every fairway and extremely noisy. Feels like you are in the middle of a city with lawnmowers, house renovations, cars and even tourists walking over 18 fairway to get to the water and look for sea shells (or whatever).

Β 

The new clubhouse is nice but way too big, which feels strange compared to what seems like a tiny golfing property. I bet it was a completely different feel in the past when it was quieter but still too claustrophobic for me.

Β 

Now Long Cove just down the street..... That is a golf course.

I thought the same thing, I just posted it 15 pages of comments later before I found this.

In my opinion Spyglass is overrated. You only get glimpses of the ocean on the first few holes and those come with lots of houses cluttering the view. Then the course goes inland never to make it back out to sea again. Just fairway and trees... nothing special. And when I played there a pro shop was all that was there to greet you after 18. No clubhouse, no bar and grill. I'll take Pebble Beach down the road steeped in history with multiple great holes and gorgeous views of the Pacific from almost anywhere. And when you finish, there's the Tap Room to greet you. It may be more steeped in history than the course!

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

I'm going to get flamed for this.... especially this week, but Harbour Town (or at least 15 holes of HT)

Β 

I love the trees and the last two holes (maybe three) but if you remove them it is a boring layout with houses and OB WAY too close to just about every fairway and extremely noisy. Feels like you are in the middle of a city with lawnmowers, house renovations, cars and even tourists walking over 18 fairway to get to the water and look for sea shells (or whatever).

Β 

The new clubhouse is nice but way too big, which feels strange compared to what seems like a tiny golfing property. I bet it was a completely different feel in the past when it was quieter but still too claustrophobic for me.

Β 

Now Long Cove just down the street..... That is a golf course.

I thought the same thing, I just posted it 15 pages of comments later before I found this.

My thoughts exactly. Without the last two holes it would be another ordinary course. I get history, and being a tight course. Playing Pinehurst #2 in a few weeks and curious to see if it is "overrated". Some people seem to love it and some hate it, just like Harbor Town.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUSΒ Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 -Β True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Paa-Ko Ridge (Sandia, NM) β€” Incredible views of the sweeping mountain/desert landscape are complemented by some of the finest course conditions I've ever encountered. That said, high desert golf on the "rainy" side of the mountains is just too penal to be enjoyable due to the incredibly thick evergreen vegetation. You've got about 30 yards of fairway with 8-12 yards of light rough on either side, and then you've got...a lost ball extravaganza. A few of the 27 holes are memorable and enjoyable, but overall, the course simply was not much fun!

Β 

Barton Creek Resort Fazio Foothills (Austin, TX) β€” Garbage driving range for such a prestigious facility. Canyon routing brings irreconcilable danger into play on many holes, making your round more of a stress test than an enjoyable escape. This course is extremely demanding off the tee, and ultimately, it has a pretty low "memorability index"β€”especially considering the $200+ price tag.

Β 

TPC San Antonio Oaks Course (San Antonio, TX) β€” There are certainly some cool aspects to this routing, which brings natural rock formations into play on a number of holes. Tournament tees are almost never open for recreational play, and they don't bother with a hybrid "tourney" setup that would at least bring tourney tees into play on certain holes (extending the length but not playing everything from the extreme tips). Water is only available in one location on the course, so walking is not only disallowed, it could actually kill you in the Texas heat. I just think for $200+, you can make too many comparisons to better courses offering better value. In fact, the Oaks' sister course, Pete Dye's Canyons, is actually a better routing with more memorable holes. If you're dying to play a TPC, I think you'll probably enjoy Canyons more.

Β 

Wailea Gold (Wailea, HI) β€” This course hosted the Senior Skins Game from 2000-2007 and is considered to be the nicest of the 3 Wailea tracks (Gold, Emerald, and Blue). I found most of the holes to be fairly bland, especially when compared to equally-pricey island neighbors Kapalua Plantation and King Kamehameha. There is very little about Wailea Gold I'd consider to be "uniquely Hawaiian" outside of the massive ocean views from a few of the tees. It just isn't worth $345+ when compared to other options in the area. And the driving range? It's like 200 yards deep and 45' uphill. Stupid.

Callaway Fusion 9ΒΊ β€’β€’ Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5ΒΊ β€’β€’ Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20ΒΊ β€’β€’ PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46ΒΊ β€’β€’ DG TI S400
TM MG 50ΒΊ β€’β€’ PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54ΒΊΒ β€’β€’ DG S200
Mizuno T20 60ΒΊ/06ΒΊ β€’β€’ DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

Torrey South has to win this argument. I would throw the other muni across the country in the mix as well in Bethpage Black. They just made long, narrowed in courses by the rough with small greens. The designs are very ordinary. Spyglass has to be one of the biggest let downs I've experienced in a while. And this is going to be blasphemy to say but Pine Valley is up there as well. Was so pumped for that first trip and was so let down. Coming off 18 I couldn't believe that was the course I was so excited about.

Β 

I'm surprised about your comment about Pine Valley.

Β 

Which course would be your favorite?

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.Β  P.G. Wodehouse

I've always felt Cog Hill #4 was overrated.

Β 

I agree, Cog Hill Dubsdread is way overrated especially after the renovation.

Β 

I was a fan of Dubsdread, sure the facilities are in huge need of an update but for the sub $100 I paid, I thought it was a fun course in pretty good condition, worth the money spent.

If it has to be a course you've played, I don't have much to add.

Β 

Β 

I agree about OSU Scarlet being way overrated.

Β 

I actually think OSU Scarlet kind of sucks. I really don't like playing there. I give it a shot every year with a buddy and am just disappointed. The layout is very blah (except for a couple of holes which I think are good)... The greens are GIGANTIC, the bunkers are super deep, the rough is super thick and the course is really long. It always play tough, which I like, but I courses which have a challenging layout which works and requires a lot of different shots. Scarlet doesn't really have that. It's just long, boring, with big greens and thick rough.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GWΒ 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

i think bethpage at $200 is twice the course torrey pines is. every hole is long with 4 inch wet rough, i'll pass. good on them for exploiting the USGA and PGA's love afair with hard courses and 15 yd wide fairways. wait till erin hills....(hard eye roll) Give me harbour town, sawgrass, east lake, any of those are infinitley more intersting and more thoughtfully designed than TP. which is what I'm calling it from now on, cause thats what I'm gonna keep doing, pooping on it.

Β 

I think you're partly dismissing location as part of a course's charm. In case you missed the Farmer's on tv this past week, Torrey Pines really IS that gorgeous in January! Not sure what Bethpage looked like last week. Played the Black a few summers ago and it's certainly a beautiful course but saying it's twice the course Torrey Pines is...ummmmm...LOL...I'll just leave this pic right here for your answer

bethpage is a better golf architectural golf course and is a remnant of the golden age of golf where redans, biarritz, alps, great hazards, double plateaus, capes, short and long exist. if you're not into that, then torrey pines has better views

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I have 3 overrated on my list. First is Spyglass Hill. The course is pretty (especially the holes near the ocean), but it was generally just soggy. There had not been a lot of rain, but the course was moist everywhere. I just don't care for those kind of conditions.

Β 

Second is Black Mesa just outside of Santa Fe. Several blind tee shots. The greens are slow, but so undulating they are almost not puttable. Pretty terrain in the stark desert sense, but impossible to score well without playing many times to figure out where to hit the ball.

Β 

Third is Pinon Hills in Farmington. The greens are insane. Multi-level huge undulations and fast. I was +6 through 5 holes and hit every green in regulation! Needed a wedge a couple times on the green to play towards the hole (did not try it). It also has a blind par 3. So tricked up. I call it Pinball Hills.

Β 

I think you're partly dismissing location as part of a course's charm. In case you missed the Farmer's on tv this past week, Torrey Pines really IS that gorgeous in January! Not sure what Bethpage looked like last week. Played the Black a few summers ago and it's certainly a beautiful course but saying it's twice the course Torrey Pines is...ummmmm...LOL...I'll just leave this pic right here for your answer

Sweet view, mediocre hole design. If you can't separate that... ummmmm.....LOL

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Torrey South has to win this argument. I would throw the other muni across the country in the mix as well in Bethpage Black. They just made long, narrowed in courses by the rough with small greens. The designs are very ordinary. Spyglass has to be one of the biggest let downs I've experienced in a while. And this is going to be blasphemy to say but Pine Valley is up there as well. Was so pumped for that first trip and was so let down. Coming off 18 I couldn't believe that was the course I was so excited about.

Β 

I'm surprised about your comment about Pine Valley.

Β 

Which course would be your favorite?

Β 

I agree with Chilidog on PV. Great course but not close to number 1 for me personally. My favorite course is Sand Hills followed closely by Royal County Down.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Chambers Bay by far.......

TPC Tampa wasn't all that great either.

I used to live in San Diego and could play Torrey for $12.50 and worked right next door at Scripps.

I wouldn't pay what they are asking now.....

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5)Β Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL Β NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0Β  33” 

Β E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Β 

Carnoustie is fantastic IMHO. It's pretty much one strong hole after the next, with those final 5 holes making for a spirited and demanding finish to the round. It seems for those who value aesthetics, it can have a serious impact on their enjoyment and appreciation over and above shot values and the actual golf holes themselves.

How do you feel about Ballybunion BTW? You cannot like that caravan park much ;)

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

And almost forgot...Big Sky in Pemberton BC. This course always gets mad props and high ratings in Canadian golf rankings and publications. I honestly can't remember a hole there. Perhaps I was too busy looking at the mountains. The setting is impressive, but that's about it.

Β 

It's "highly rated" because it's on a tallest midgets list. Canada (apart from Cabot and the Rockies) isn't really blessed with many truly outstanding public courses. There's lots of good golf, but not too many worth crossing an ocean for. Big Sky is a nice course and the setting is very cool, but I agree there is nothing remarkable about the course itself.

Β 

Sounds like if we could drop Carnoustie on top of Big Sky, you'd be sorted though :)

Β 

Actually, a hybrid Carnoustie/Big Sky love child of a course (with a view of the ocean) might just do the trick! I'll give you the finishing holes at Carnoustie-they are impressive. It has rep of being very difficult, and I never found it that way. I didn't light it up, mind you, but compared to a truly diabolical links course like The European Club in Ireland, I didn't find it particularly penal or "nasty." I think the fact that it was off the rota for 24 years (1975-99) is a bit of an indictment as well, although there may have been some technical reasons for this. Overall, not a bad course, just overrated. I'm form Canada originally, so I wasn't making a trip especially for Big Sky, so it was no big deal. I play in BC, and it irks me that Big Sky rates when there are so many other better courses in the province.

Β 

Sweet view, mediocre hole design. If you can't separate that... ummmmm.....LOL

Β 

Understatement of the year...congrats. Btw, throwing my quote back at me suggest I somehow pissed in your cheerios. Sack up buttercup. Really not that serious.