Tin Cup movie

Interpol

I can only watch Tin Cup so many times. For variety's sake, GC could occasionally throw these in:

A Gentleman's Game (Gary Sinise)
Seven Days in Utopia (Robert Duvall)
Bat 21 (Gene Hackman)

Bat 21 is on the fringes of being a "golfer's movie", I know, but the vets out there would dig it.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

[quote name='xplyboy' timestamp='1445896356' post='12509870']
For those who knows the kingwood courses that the movie was shot on, what are the other holes that they shot in the movie. We know the 18th hole is deerwoods 4 hole, but there were tidbits throughout the tournaments of other holes being played. What were those holes in correlation to the real courses?
[/quote]

I know part of it was filmed at Tubac, AZ (where Simms hits the 7 iron down the road, that's the entrance) and my old boss, Trace Nuttall, was a PGA during the time of the film and they asked him if he could bounce a ball on a wedge. The part of the film where it only shows him bouncing it, but never shows his upper body, was Trace.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

For those who knows the kingwood courses that the movie was shot on, what are the other holes that they shot in the movie. We know the 18th hole is deerwoods 4 hole, but there were tidbits throughout the tournaments of other holes being played. What were those holes in correlation to the real courses?
[/quote]

A lot of the movie was shot here in Tubac, Arizona at the Tubac Golf Resort. Driving Range he "owned" was a field east of here. Some of the outdoor bar scenes are the original Otero House which was built in the late 1800's.

[quote name='BSprink' timestamp='1447169097' post='12578896']
Love this movie! Tim Cup is classic.

A few others to check out:

"Greatest Game ever played"
"Legend of Bagger Vance"
[/quote]

Have you ever seen "A Stroke of Genius"? It is a surprisingly good Bobby Jones movie.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='ohioglfr' timestamp='1447039836' post='12572760']
I can only watch Tin Cup so many times. For variety's sake, GC could occasionally throw these in:

A Gentleman's Game (Gary Sinise)
Bat 21 (Gene Hackman)

Bat 21 is on the fringes of being a "golfer's movie", I know, but the vets out there would dig it.
[/quote]

The best part about Bat 21 is that the "golf code" they used to get the downed pilot to safety was a true story.

[i]they radioed him, "You're going to play 18 holes and you're going to get in the [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Folks_at_Home"]Swanee[/url] and make like [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_Williams"]Esther Williams[/url] and [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_the_Tuna"]Charlie the Tuna[/url]. The round starts on No. 1 at [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tucson_National_Golf_Club&action=edit&redlink=1"]Tucson National[/url]." Hambleton initially replied, "What have you been smoking?" But he broke the code. "It took me a half-hour to figure out they were giving me distance and direction," Hambleton explained. "No. 1 at Tucson National is 408 yards running southeast. They wanted me to move southeast 400 yards. The 'course' would lead me to water."[/i]

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1447172520' post='12579208']

"Legend of Bagger Vance"
[/quote]

Have you ever seen "A Stroke of Genius"? It is a surprisingly good Bobby Jones movie.
[/quote]

Yes.. I own it.. great flick! I totally forgot to add that. My son would watch it over and over again..

[/quote]
The movie was also filmed at the Kingwood Forest course on holes 5 & 6. In one scene on hole 5 you can see W. Lake Houston Parkway in the background.

[quote name='bobbydazzlewazzler' timestamp='1442094675' post='12305096']
Just finished watching the film for a second time after having watched it first about 17 years ago.
I now recall why I left it so long.
Caddy shack and Happy Gilmore eat this piece of s*** for breakfast.
[/quote]

Caddyshack is a complete disaster. No script, actors running wild without even a hint of directing, and it is not even remotely funny unless you are 14 and stoned. I saw it 20 years ago, before I even started to play golf, because I generally liked Chevy Chase and Bill Murray and I was shocked how bad it was. I decided to watch it again last year, because of all the praise on this forum and I thought that I might have missed something. It turned out that I hadn't. It is simply terrible.
The Caddy with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis is a cinematographic masterpiece compared to Caddyshack.

Tin Cup is quite good, but Kostner is more convincing as a baseball player than he is as a professional golfer.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

[quote name='ohioglfr' timestamp='1447039836' post='12572760']

[b] A Gentleman's Game (Gary Sinise)[/b]
Bat 21 (Gene Hackman)

[/quote]

Brah.....that has to be the second worst golf movie (behind Caddyshack 2) every produced. Just baaaaad.

[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1447193674' post='12581112']

Tin Cup is quite good, but Kostner is more convincing as a baseball player than he is as a professional golfer.
[/quote]

He did play some college ball which explains that natural pitching motion. Not unlike other actors playing pitcher role. Tom Berenger (Major League), uugghh! Btw, another movie Russo was in.

[quote name='aflackhook13' timestamp='1441868290' post='12291912']
250 to carry and a tour stars laying up!!!!
[/quote]

JB Holmes at Torrey Pines earlier this year. Cost him the tournament and me a tidy sum.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*Β  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56Β KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

[quote name='RuffingIt' timestamp='1447872431' post='12615844']
[/quote]

He did play some college ball which explains that natural pitching motion. Not unlike other actors playing pitcher role. Tom Berenger (Major League), uugghh! Btw, another movie Russo was in.
[/quote]

Tom Berenger didn't play a pitcher, he was the catcher. Chelcie Ross playing Eddie Harris was the non-pitcher. IMDB is your friend.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

[quote name='sprcoop' timestamp='1447884365' post='12616608']
He did play some college ball which explains that natural pitching motion. Not unlike other actors playing pitcher role. [i][b] Chelcie Ross[/b][/i] (Major League), uugghh! Btw, another movie Russo was in.
[/quote]

Tom Berenger didn't play a pitcher, he was the catcher. Chelcie Ross playing Eddie Harris was the non-pitcher. IMDB is your friend.
[/quote]

ya...ummm...ya, thats what i said.

:D

I watched it again recently when it was on the golf channel. It's not a fantastic movie, but it's highly watchable. Hard to describe, i mean i wouldn't put it in my top movies or anything, even top sports movies....but i can watch it whenever it's on and not be too bored

I think Costner does a pretty good job in it, the Tin Cup character is interesting

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp AntiqueΒ 

"Legend of Bagger Vance"
[/quote]

Legend of Bagger Vance is one of my favorite movies. When someone asks me why I love golf, I do my best to quote the lines from the movie where Hardy Greaves tells Juna why he loves golf.

[quote name='sprcoop' timestamp='1447884365' post='12616608']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
You put snot...on the ball?

Haven't got an arm like yours, I gotta put anything on it I can find.

No mention of Dead Solid Perfect which had Randy Quaid playing the golfer and Corinne Bohrer as his love interest. It is based on a book by Dan Jenkins who also wrote 'Semi-Tough' about football. Was made for cable TV if you will and had Bohrer do a naked hotel hallway walk. Trying to think of what else she was in and the only thing that comes to mind is Revenge of the Nerds IV; Nerds in Love where she is the bride of Booger.

[quote name='DevilDog' timestamp='1448912849' post='12663728']
No mention of Dead Solid Perfect which had Randy Quaid playing the golfer and Corinne Bohrer as his love interest. It is based on a book by Dan Jenkins who also wrote 'Semi-Tough' about football. Was made for cable TV if you will and had Bohrer do a naked hotel hallway walk. Trying to think of what else she was in and the only thing that comes to mind is Revenge of the Nerds IV; Nerds in Love where she is the bride of Booger.
[/quote]

My favorite movie, pretty good book too. Thats where my screen name came from, it's just there's more shank than perfect for me.

I'm just gonna come out and say it - I really don't mind 'The Greatest Game Ever Played'.

Yes, it's a Disney-fied cartoony puffball of a film but - FOR ME - it more than makes up for the generic plot with the 'concentration' sequences. They put CGI to good use in the antiquated setting of the film and really nailed a visual representation of what it's like getting into the zone.

Love the sequence where Ouimet walks off the 18th and the groundskeeper just has this confused stare:

'What?'

'You just birdied the last 6 holes'

My dad and I also use 'You're just gonna have to play better' as a common refrain when someone wants shots.

Go ahead - flame on. I deserve it.

[quote name='DevilDog' timestamp='1448912849' post='12663728']
[/quote]

Thread hijack...

Fell in lust with Corinne Bohrer during the sitcom Free Spirit in the late 80s. It was an I Dream of Jeannie type show, but didn't even last a full season. Then to see [i]all[/i] of her in Dead Solid Perfect, wishes came true. Seems like all I have seen her in the last few years are commercials, but she has aged very gracefully.

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

Has there ever been a serious golf movie worth a sh1t ?

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3WΒ CallawayΒ Β Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash Β  Β 
Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 6-7 Big BerthaΒ 

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 7 Ping G430 played as an 8Β 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0Β 

Β 

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1448971430' post='12666392'][quote name='NoTalentLefty' timestamp='1448939708' post='12665662']
[/quote]

Have you been able to see Dead Solid Perfect, Lefty?

If not, if you can find a copy it's pretty good (at least in my opinion). Worth watching.[/quote]

Yes. My statement stands.

5w Callaway Epic Flash

Β 

[quote name='NoTalentLefty' timestamp='1448975126' post='12666494']
[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1448971430' post='12666392'][quote name='NoTalentLefty' timestamp='1448939708' post='12665662']
[/quote]

Have you been able to see Dead Solid Perfect, Lefty?

If not, if you can find a copy it's pretty good (at least in my opinion). Worth watching.[/quote]

Yes. My statement stands.
[/quote]

Oh, OK. Thought maybe since it's not very mainstream you might not have seen it. It's my favorite......so I have no more recommendations!

Since it hasn't been mentioned much before. The inspiration for Tin Cup was Chip Beck a la his famous layup on #15 at the Masters when he really, really needed an eagle or birdie - had 236 carry into a wind - Langer led by 3 and had already laid up - Beck did too. But Beck was not Johnson's character that is rumoured to have been modelled after Tom Watson. McCord had the ear of Shelton and it's no surprise that the final was based loosely on McCord 16 he carded while continously going for a green in 2 plus McCord also pulled of the Pelican shot in real life.

Β 

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Β Doomed is yourΒ soul and damnedΒ is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member. Β  The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Β 

Β 

[quote name='NoTalentLefty' timestamp='1448939708' post='12665662']
[/quote]

I know the knock on it is Glenn Ford's golf swing and splicing real footage in, but Follow the Sun was a good movie.

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

[quote name='zonadub' timestamp='1449013018' post='12669064'][quote name='NoTalentLefty' timestamp='1448939708' post='12665662']
[/quote]

I know the knock on it is Glenn Ford's golf swing and splicing real footage in, but Follow the Sun was a good movie.[/quote]

Not realistic enough for my taste . Made Hogan out to be ah shucks kinda guy like Nelson. He wasn't and not saying he was a bad guy but he wasn't that guy.

Hollywood took the book The Greatest Game ever Played and butchered it. The Bobby Jones movie was too apologetic to a complex man. Should of followed the book The Grand Slam closely with more detail to his after career and the founding of Augusta National. But that's me.

5w Callaway Epic Flash

Β