Mike Malaska - Getting the club in front of you. Made easy...

CrisPy3

I'm obviously late to the party on this but the movement Malaska describes (handle down to right pocket and club leveling out through impact and staying in front of you) seems very similar to Jimmy Ballard talking about the feeling of "thumbing a ride" with the left arm through the downswing via the left elbow pointing down to the ground. Ballard also big on keeping the club more vertically balanced like Malaska talks about keeping the weight of the club from getting behind you.

Just interesting how many instructors have different ways of explaining the same ideas.

On that note, I really think I need to try adding some of this move to my swing. Club has been getting behind me.

[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1447184215' post='12580256']
I'm obviously late to the party on this but the movement Malaska describes (handle down to right pocket and club leveling out through impact and staying in front of you) seems very similar to Jimmy Ballard talking about the feeling of "thumbing a ride" with the left arm through the downswing via the left elbow pointing down to the ground. Ballard also big on keeping the club more vertically balanced like Malaska talks about keeping the weight of the club from getting behind you.

Just interesting how many instructors have different ways of explaining the same ideas.

On that note, I really think I need to try adding some of this move to my swing. Club has been getting behind me.
[/quote]

Let the clubhead get behind, just as long as you dont let your trail elbow get behind your right hip(assuming your right handed)

Move your right foot back and/or increase your turn; if you have to;
but make sure DTL, the right elbow is inside the right hip(closer to the target line than the right hip).
Now no matter how far the clubhead is behind(deep), you cant get stuck.

Micah you can be not stuck but still way underplane and I think many of us who see the quality in Malaskas teaching know what that means.
Being stuck is one issue and being underplane is a separate issue. It's my opinion that everything works better if one does not seek to get the club behind them.
That's a two way miss.
The caveat to that is if you're more talented than me and can shallow early enough than you can steepen all the way down. I tried for 3 years to get that and it never clicked for me.
Malaska ideas had me doing better immediately and it has continued to improve. Trying to get that sweet early layoff proved to me to lead to higher scores and immense frustration.

See ball hit ball
KISS

[quote name='mikah' timestamp='1447192442' post='12581006']
[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1447184215' post='12580256']

[/quote]

Let the clubhead get behind, just as long as you dont let your trail elbow get behind your right hip(assuming your right handed)

Move your right foot back and/or increase your turn; if you have to;
but make sure DTL, the right elbow is inside the right hip(closer to the target line than the right hip).
Now no matter how far the clubhead is behind(deep), you cant get stuck.
[/quote]

Not sure what this has to do with this thread. Let the clubhead fall behind, you can't get stuck?? That sounds completely contradictory to me. I'll listen to Malaska, thank you very much.

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1442850002' post='12344374']
this is the exact feel I have in my downswing of the hands going vertically down and club out, my hands move too out and shallow the club a lot, on an explanar my hands work down more and this is the feel It gives me
[/quote]

Do you feel like you're pulling the handle down sort of right at the beginning of the downswing--pulling down as you're turning in a circle so your hands stay in front of the club and close to your body?

[quote name='juliette91' timestamp='1447218747' post='12582800']
[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1442850002' post='12344374']
this is the exact feel I have in my downswing of the hands going vertically down and club out, my hands move too out and shallow the club a lot, on an explanar my hands work down more and this is the feel It gives me
[/quote]

Do you feel like you're pulling the handle down sort of right at the beginning of the downswing--pulling down as you're turning in a circle so your hands stay in front of the club and close to your body?
[/quote]

I would focus more on rotating the left arm down, with the heel of the club working out. Pulling the handle is something I am trying to get away from with this method.

Do I understand correctly that you folks who have used this successfully have the "feel" on the downswing of sliding your left arm down your chest while rotating it counter-clockwise?

I've tried been struggling with this method because my hands aren't getting back down to address position (i.e. they are more outside than at address).

At the start, do you feel that things start slowly---like gravity is the only thing starting the downswing?

[quote name='larson92' timestamp='1447327653' post='12588134']
Do I understand correctly that you folks who have used this successfully have the "feel" on the downswing of sliding your left arm down your chest while rotating it counter-clockwise?

I've tried been struggling with this method because my hands aren't getting back down to address position (i.e. they are more outside than at address).

At the start, do you feel that things start slowly---like gravity is the only thing starting the downswing?
[/quote]

I would say if your hands are more outside at impact then you are not doing the left hand tumble part correctly. Try the split grip drill (hockey style). From the top right hand comes down palm facing away from you which allows the heel to lead. Then next move is the left hand tumble which brings the hands/grip down and in, while allowing the club heads momentum to strike the ball.

Hope this thought works for you.

[quote name='dslatt33' timestamp='1447335718' post='12588512']
[quote name='larson92' timestamp='1447327653' post='12588134']

[/quote]

I would say if your hands are more outside at impact then you are not doing the left hand tumble part correctly. Try the split grip drill (hockey style). From the top right hand comes down palm facing away from you which allows the heel to lead. Then next move is the left hand tumble which brings the hands/grip down and in, while allowing the club heads momentum to strike the ball.

Hope this thought works for you.
[/quote]

Thanks!

The other problem I seem to have is hitting the big ball (ground) before the little white ball---especially with the driver.

[quote name='larson92' timestamp='1447354919' post='12590054']
With 670 replies and almost 80,000 views, this thread is getting rather unwieldy. (Very hard to find the post you are looking for.)

Is there any chance that we could create an (unofficial) Mike Malaska subforum--just like we have the Hogan's Heroes subforum?
[/quote]

I don't think there will be enough long-term interest in this thread to justify an entire subforum for it. Not sure if Malaska even has an account here.

However, if you want to make the suggestion anyway, I believe it should be done in this forum:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/20-front-desk-customer-service-area/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/20-front-desk-customer-service-area/[/url]

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

I understand the concept of the 1st corner (backswing) and the second corner (downswing), but what exactly does MM mean when about the third corner? Sure, it is the follow through, but how do you make it a corner?

My theory would be that since you are supposed to feel like you are "holding the angle" from corner two to corner three (and in fact, from the top of the backswing), it makes corner three feel like a corner. But that is just a guess.

Note that I think that the "holding the angle" feel is what I was missing when I was hitting the big ball before the little ball (see previous post just a few posts back).

[quote name='larson92' timestamp='1447388626' post='12592922']I understand the concept of the 1st corner (backswing) and the second corner (downswing), but what exactly does MM mean when about the third corner? Sure, it is the follow through, but how do you make it a corner?

My theory would be that since you are supposed to feel like you are "holding the angle" from corner two to corner three (and in fact, from the top of the backswing), it makes corner three feel like a corner. But that is just a guess.

Note that I think that the "holding the angle" feel is what I was missing when I was hitting the big ball before the little ball (see previous post just a few posts back).[/quote]
The third corner is actually the follow thru hip high. One of his videos he explains it someone posted earlier in the thread.
This is it
http://youtu.be/tzKZjIl

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

[quote name='larson92' timestamp='1447388626' post='12592922']
I understand the concept of the 1st corner (backswing) and the second corner (downswing), but what exactly does MM mean when about the third corner? Sure, it is the follow through, but how do you make it a corner?

Note that I think that the "holding the angle" feel is what I was missing when I was hitting the big ball before the little ball (see previous post just a few posts back).
[/quote]

The three corners / balance points are supposed to be 1) point generally outside the right foot, 2) the ball, and 3) point outside the left foot (for right handers).

[quote name='gators78' timestamp='1447427886' post='12594084']

[/quote]

The three corners / balance points are supposed to be 1) point generally outside the right foot, 2) the ball, and 3) point outside the left foot (for right handers).
[/quote]

I think the corners are, outside right foot backswing, outside right foot downswing, then flat across to the third corner outside left foot on the follow through. Obviously that is just a feel

[quote name='stuboy' timestamp='1447428315' post='12594120']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think the corners are, outside right foot backswing, outside right foot downswing, then flat across to the third corner outside left foot on the follow through. Obviously that is just a feel
[/quote]

But that's just two points? :dntknw:

I guess I was thinking the "flat spot" are the two points outside the feet, then the ball, making a triangle and the corners he references.

Either way, it works!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My understanding also.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

[quote name='Millbrook' timestamp='1447432869' post='12594516']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My understanding also.
[/quote]

Here is the video where he explains the 3 corners and the flat spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzKZjIl5f9Y

So how about ball placement? Does ball placement still change relative to the club being used? I've noticed that I pull the ball when placing the ball more towards my front foot for 5 iron - Driver.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 8* Denali Blue 60tx

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Stealth Plus 18* Ventus Black 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/12D, 59/5T PX Wedge 6.5

Scotty Cameron Golo 6.5 Stability Shaft

Not exactly what MM teaches but interesting coming straight from the source.

[attachment=3031720:nichols.pdf]

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='Jersey golfer' timestamp='1447433474' post='12594574']
[quote name='Millbrook' timestamp='1447432869' post='12594516']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My understanding also.
[/quote]

Here is the video where he explains the 3 corners and the flat spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzKZjIl5f9Y
[/quote]

I was playing around with the joe nichols corners swing this weekend. Actually I was watching graham McDowell and noticed he looked exactly like how malaska described. After messing around with it enough it just feels like standing up the clubhead keeps it infront of the torso at all times. If you loose that weighted standing up feeling connection you're doing it wrong. During the downswing the standing up feeling ramps up big time like your making the clubhead heavier and directing the momentum.
This is the closest I've been to feeling the weight of the clubhead the entire swing.
When they started going left I focused on the handle traveling along the foot line coming down, getting the face less shut going back and adding a little body rotation coming down. So if they're going left with a ton of power try to figure out how to direct it. Just my rambling thoughts, but this joe nichols video deserves a second look. Here's graham...

https://youtu.be/Zya0jEElQW0

This corner swing seemed to fit right in with how I’m currently trying to swing the club (via Tom Tomasello YouTube instruction vids) so I took these swing thoughts straight to the course for 18. No deliberate weight shift, just stand the club up and try to hit the corners and feel the weight of the club head "tip over".

I was very pleased with the results as I hit 3 of the absolutely purest iron shots (PW, 9i, 7i) I’ve probably ever hit in my life. I can’t remember that last time I that I had that solid of contact and compression on the ball. The sound, trajectory, and height were amazing and the swing felt effortless. On the 9i swing I used the thought of countering the weight of the club head going through impact by “pulling” away using the balls of my feet and I was shocked at the way the ball exploded off the clubface.

These iron shots definitely let me know I’ve previously been shallow in the downswing then chasing and flipping at the ball. I’m not a big hitter (average drive ~240 yards) but I had straight, effortless, drives, and used this feeling on pitch shots as well. Although I somewhat lost it over the last 3 holes as I was getting a bit tense and quick and losing the feeling of the club head I’m excited to see how this holds up.

D, 5W, 4,5H: Cobra Amp Cell
4,6-LW: Taylormade SpeedBlade
P: Mizuno BC-2

[quote name='dlg199' timestamp='1447691223' post='12605474']
This corner swing seemed to fit right in with how I’m currently trying to swing the club (via Tom Tomasello YouTube instruction vids) so I took these swing thoughts straight to the course for 18. No deliberate weight shift, just stand the club up and try to hit the corners and feel the weight of the club head "tip over".

I was very pleased with the results as I hit 3 of the absolutely purest iron shots (PW, 9i, 7i) I’ve probably ever hit in my life. I can’t remember that last time I that I had that solid of contact and compression on the ball. The sound, trajectory, and height were amazing and the swing felt effortless. On the 9i swing I used the thought of countering the weight of the club head going through impact by “pulling” away using the balls of my feet and I was shocked at the way the ball exploded off the clubface.

These iron shots definitely let me know I’ve previously been shallow in the downswing then chasing and flipping at the ball. I’m not a big hitter (average drive ~240 yards) but I had straight, effortless, drives, and used this feeling on pitch shots as well. Although I somewhat lost it over the last 3 holes as I was getting a bit tense and quick and losing the feeling of the club head I’m excited to see how this holds up.
[/quote]

Glad to know it's working for you! I do have a question though. Are you placing the ball in one spot for all clubs or does ball placement change relative to the club being used? I ask this because I've noticed that when the ball is placed closer to my front heel, its much easier to pull the ball left.

[quote name='mcuba' timestamp='1447699132' post='12606124']

[/quote]

Glad to know it's working for you! I do have a question though. Are you placing the ball in one spot for all clubs or does ball placement change relative to the club being used? I ask this because I've noticed that when the ball is placed closer to my front heel, its much easier to pull the ball left.
[/quote]

My ball placement was middle of stance for short irons and progressively moved up in the stance for hybrids, fairway wood, and then driver at around the left heel. Maybe with the ball that far forward with the short irons you are possibly catching the ball after the low point while the clubhead is moving inward and upward on the swing arc?

D, 5W, 4,5H: Cobra Amp Cell
4,6-LW: Taylormade SpeedBlade
P: Mizuno BC-2

[quote name='dlg199' timestamp='1447713869' post='12607200']
[quote name='mcuba' timestamp='1447699132' post='12606124']

[/quote]

[/quote]

My ball placement was middle of stance for short irons and progressively moved up in the stance for hybrids, fairway wood, and then driver at around the left heel. Maybe with the ball that far forward with the short irons you are possibly catching the ball after the low point while the clubhead is moving inward and upward on the swing arc?
[/quote]

Yeah possibly. To be more specific, I have this issue mostly with PW, the 3-4 irons and driver. I play PW with ball aligned in the middle of the stance whereas I play the ball forward toward my left heel with the 3-4 iron and driver. Maybe I just need to keep tinkering on the range with this specific swing and find the best ball placement for me. Thanks

for me, the feeling of the club head tumbling in front of the hands on the downswing has definitely lit the light-bulb in my swing. I was followed the crowd in thinking that leaving the club back created the lag to generate clubhead speed, never thinking that my hands were doing alot of flipping to get the club square. Looking back at old swing footage ive taken over the years, i had no idea i needed to go the 'other' way on the swing plane. I still find myself coming OTT every now and then, only cuz the natural tendency for my right shoulder to follow the tumbling forward of the club. But i definitely found a more consistent feel of my sequencing. The idea of the 3 corners has been a good check point of where i need to be if ever lose my way with things.

Been messing with this, like most golf instruction I find that this is a good drill to get you out of bad habits, but when I try to take it to the course it just messes with my head.

1. See the shot
2. Grip, stance, alignment, ball position
3. Swing the club in an arc around your head with your hand and arms.

That's all one really needs.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly