2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Bradley Hughes- Right Arm and Pivot

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1447129464' post='12577510']
Pool has ZERO in common with golf. Is this a joke troll job?
[/quote]

The physics of pool and golf are actually fairly similar, you are accelerating a stick into a ball, on contact the ball will cause a slight deceleration of the cue even if the intent is to keep accelerating.
The ball doesn't go forward because it is squeezed between the cue and the table. Just as in golf you don't squeeze the ball between the club and the ground.
Physics and intent are different things.

After reading more from some of the weirdos that seem to want to return here to bash Monte and Dan, it is becoming obvious why Brad doesn't answer FWPs question, because I think it might be embarrassing. Some people do not seem to understand Newton's Third Law. It is physics. End of debate. The club does not accelerate after impact and nor does a baseball bat. How dumb are some people? Coat, you must be retarded?

http://youtu.be/1vzyoO3MFuw

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='mikah' timestamp='1447129071' post='12577488']
[quote name='Roll Tide 885' timestamp='1447127998' post='12577404']
[quote name='CrabDaddy' timestamp='1447126433' post='12577280']
[quote name='Roll Tide 885' timestamp='1447122712' post='12576998']
...the cue will slow due to the ball's inertia but if the acceleration is maintained...
[/quote]
Uh... ya know... if the cue slows down, that means the acceleration is [i]not[/i] maintained... in fact, I tink dem pH.D fellers would call that [i]deceleration[/i]
[/quote]

Fine, next time you break a rack I want you to stop the stick the moment it makes contact with the cue ball and if you do I will kindly take your cash every time. The stick slows very little like I said because of the ball's inertia, but the ball does not stay in contact with the tip forever as you know. Once the ball leaves, as long as the lever arm has maintained, and is still accelerating, so is the stick, that's why ball position relative to lever length is vital in billiards.
[/quote]

deceleration doesnt mean the cue or golf club head stops. They continue forward, but not accelerating, as they did prior to impact... due to Newtons Law.
[/quote]

I understand your point and agree that deceleration and stopping are separate events. I am not a physics expert by any means but now we are getting into some difficult discussion areas about collisions between two different mass quantities, their inertial properties, one mass stationary the other moving, or both moving toward each other, rates of movement, etc. It's a discussion I don't wish to reduce to lines, graphs, charts, formulas, Newton, etc., at this time, or thread.

My main point seems to be common sense. If a deer stands in the middle of train tracks does an accelerating train engine slow down when hitting the deer, how about when hitting a car instead, what about a tank, what about something more massive. At some point the stationary mass will cause significant deceleration on the moving train. That is the basis of my discussion points. I hope you see the stroke in billiards as a leveraged strike from the elbow because it is.

If you place the cue ball 2" from any rail and hit the ball as hard as you can, do you actually believe the ball's inertia has a significant difference upon the more massive cue stick accelerating through it?

Alec
You are a sad person. I had nothing to do with the "business deal" you talk about being renegged on. I cant delete posts on ABS site unless they are reported. Even the students you reckon were messed up from ABS werent even my students. Your entire gripe is with John not with me. For goodness sake grow some balls and act like a man for once in your life. Lying may win you friends but never respect or peace

[quote name='Hoganstriker' timestamp='1447130299' post='12577574']
Cp doesn't talk pseudo tech jargon. Doubt it's him. Just wish Brad would answer FWP's q.
[/quote]

Isn't that the truth. Two instructors could have a conversation that people might be able to learn from. It would be kinda like what a golf forum is intended for.

[quote name='stuboy' timestamp='1447153320' post='12578082']
[/quote]

The physics of pool and golf are actually fairly similar, you are accelerating a stick into a ball, on contact the ball will cause a slight deceleration of the cue even if the intent is to keep accelerating.
The ball doesn't go forward because it is squeezed between the cue and the table. Just as in golf you don't squeeze the ball between the club and the ground.
[/quote]

Yep same except for gravity, centripetal force, two levers, an inclined plane and some hinges. Yep basicallg the same.... Lmao.

If this was the physics AP test the morons could get the pool stick equation correct. It's simple F=ma. Only a few of the future rocket scientists would get a golf swing equation correct.

[quote name='bhughesgolf' timestamp='1447162131' post='12578336']
Alec
You are a sad person. I had nothing to do with the "business deal" you talk about being renegged on. I cant delete posts on ABS site unless they are reported. Even the students you reckon were messed up from ABS werent even my students. Your entire gripe is with John not with me. For goodness sake grow some balls and act like a man for once in your life. Lying may win you friends but never respect or peace
[/quote]

If you do the following we will forever leave you alone:

1) denounce john as a teacher and swing theorist that caused injury to his students;
2) admit there is no such thing as post impact acceleration Bc it defies physics;
3) admit there can be no prestressed shaft into impact, as that would also defy physics;
4) admit superslotting is a just a move to force a positon on camera and is uterrly useless;
5) it's stupid to charge a student credit card fees; and
6) Grady's swing hasn't changed in 3 years.

But we know you won't and you will continue your affiliation with the self-proclaimed guru.

Good golfers dont need to understand it - they do it
Theres a reason they do it & its why they are more successful.
Its a very common denominator amongst the best players- so if mediocre is your goal by all means continue to be mediocre. Thats the golfers perogative- the instructor can only give the information- its up to the student to utilize it

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1447162261' post='12578350']
[quote name='stuboy' timestamp='1447153320' post='12578082']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep same except for gravity, centripetal force, two levers, an inclined plane and some hinges. Yep basicallg the same.... Lmao.

If this was the physics AP test the morons could get the pool stick equation correct. It's simple F=ma. Only a few of the future rocket scientists would get a golf swing equation correct.
[/quote]

I was just referring to impact and how the impact of the cue on a pool ball is similar to that off a club head on a golf ball, or a baseball bat on a baseball. If a cue tip had loft on it, the ball would go in the air without the need for it being squeezed down like a tiddlywink.

Is this practice piece something you learned growing up in Australia maybe working with Greg Norman or has it been around for a long time, even before your time? Good hits on it too. Is this something to do maybe weekly just to keep tuned up?

[media=]

[/media]

This is another piece in the Golf swing people have a hard time to grasp. Right arm clockwise rotation in the backswing. In modern Golf teaching forearm rotation is taught differently. In fact most teachers have told me that it is bad idea and very inconstant to rotate the forearms in the swing.

However, if you don't rotate the forearms you will never get the club on a shallow angle in the downswing- especially if your posture is bend over a lot. Like Bradley showed in his videos the maximum range of motion in the whole right arm (upper arm and forearm) is around 100 degrees to the right (clockwise rotation) which is the almost the amount (in fact around 90 degrees is needed) you need to get the club shaft and arms on a matching inclined plane. Without clockwise forearm rotation the club will always be steeper than it should be. Therefore to tell someone not to rotate the forearms in the Golf swing is bad advice. I have struggled for a decade because of that false teaching.

Why Moe Norman was so obsessed with this exaggerated feeling? He wanted to stay in clockwise rotation (flat shaft in downswing) as usually the shaft steepens coming down. Actually he was fighting this steepening force with that feel.

mie4dche.gif

You need to read the vertical swing plane thread. Your post is filled with generalizations and false statements.

Strongly agree with ej here. The vsp thread dispels lots of myths and is one of the better threads in a while.

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1447158109' post='12578162']
After reading more from some of the weirdos that seem to want to return here to bash Monte and Dan, it is becoming obvious why Brad doesn't answer FWPs question, because I think it might be embarrassing. Some people do not seem to understand Newton's Third Law. It is physics. End of debate. The club does not accelerate after impact and nor does a baseball bat. How dumb are some people? Coat, you must be retarded?

[media=]http://youtu.be/1vzyoO3MFuw[/media]
[/quote]

That may not be the best video example as it incorporates 2 objects MOVING TOWARD each other.

If you notice, however, the trail arm is still bent upon impact and the unused elbow range in that arm is used after hitting the ball and is what keeps the bat accelerating, granted not by much though because the objects are moving toward each other. The batter's trail arm straightening after impact is an accelerating move upon the end of the bat barrel and is similar to those one wishing to straightening the trail arm from the top of the golf swing to generate speed.

This might be a better look at it, a stationary ball, late wrists, bent arm.
[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQd95cNo24A[/media]

[quote name='Roll Tide 885' timestamp='1447161198' post='12578282']
[quote name='mikah' timestamp='1447129071' post='12577488']
[quote name='Roll Tide 885' timestamp='1447127998' post='12577404']
[quote name='CrabDaddy' timestamp='1447126433' post='12577280']
[quote name='Roll Tide 885' timestamp='1447122712' post='12576998']
...the cue will slow due to the ball's inertia but if the acceleration is maintained...
[/quote]
Uh... ya know... if the cue slows down, that means the acceleration is [i]not[/i] maintained... in fact, I tink dem pH.D fellers would call that [i]deceleration[/i]
[/quote]

Fine, next time you break a rack I want you to stop the stick the moment it makes contact with the cue ball and if you do I will kindly take your cash every time. The stick slows very little like I said because of the ball's inertia, but the ball does not stay in contact with the tip forever as you know. Once the ball leaves, as long as the lever arm has maintained, and is still accelerating, so is the stick, that's why ball position relative to lever length is vital in billiards.
[/quote]

deceleration doesnt mean the cue or golf club head stops. They continue forward, but not accelerating, as they did prior to impact... due to Newtons Law.
[/quote]

I understand your point and agree that deceleration and stopping are separate events. I am not a physics expert by any means but now we are getting into some difficult discussion areas about collisions between two different mass quantities, their inertial properties, one mass stationary the other moving, or both moving toward each other, rates of movement, etc. It's a discussion I don't wish to reduce to lines, graphs, charts, formulas, Newton, etc., at this time, or thread.

My main point seems to be common sense. If a deer stands in the middle of train tracks does an accelerating train engine slow down when hitting the deer, how about when hitting a car instead, what about a tank, what about something more massive. At some point the stationary mass will cause significant deceleration on the moving train. That is the basis of my discussion points. I hope you see the stroke in billiards as a leveraged strike from the elbow because it is.

If you place the cue ball 2" from any rail and hit the ball as hard as you can, do you actually believe the ball's inertia has a significant difference upon the more massive cue stick accelerating through it?
[/quote]

In practical terms as to the damage to the deer then it doesn't really make a difference but yes the train does slow down slightly but because it has such high inertia then the effect is negligible. The whole discussion as to minor changes in acceleration due to impact is rather irrelevant to the golf swing I believe, but the intent of trying to keep accelerating the club through and past impact is useful for the swing.

[quote name='Roll Tide 885' timestamp='1447163102' post='12578412']

[/quote]

That may not be the best video example as it incorporates 2 objects MOVING TOWARD each other.

If you notice, however, the trail arm is still bent upon impact and the unused elbow range in that arm is used after hitting the ball and is what keeps the bat accelerating, granted not by much though because the objects are moving toward each other. The batter's trail arm straightening after impact is an accelerating move upon the end of the bat barrel and is similar to those one wishing to straightening the trail arm from the top of the golf swing to generate speed.

[/quote]

Except you can't just look at the torque from the trail arm. Their is also a torque being applied by the lead hand. The mid point of the hands begins to slow before impact. That's a fact

Why EJ?
1) I am professional enough not to bag other professionals. Every instructor is doing their best to help golfers. I concern myself with my instruction and what successful ways I have helped people- not what they may be doing right or wrong John has some very insightful thoughts as do many other instructors. We can all learn from various sources and we can all think some sources are irrelevant.
2) Post impact is there for certain. Keep everything moving- its a simple logic that helps accelerating through the hit - even though the strike then disrupts that acceleration/ I show it here and can give you the numbers also from the computer even though I dont have to prove anything to you as a non student
http://youtu.be/ESt1OZehf9A
3)prestressed shaft - the club hasnt reached its max speed yet- still loaded. Thats not hard to understand. Even a "scientist" such as Tuttleman explains that in his research
4) I dont teach super slotting- so who cares
5) Dont do that credit card fees either- dont even know what you are talking about- moan to John E if you our a friend feels hard done by there in that regard

Except that hips begin decelerating at around p5. They do not keep accelerating through impact, and certainly not post impact. Has nothing to do with the ball. The same would occur in an air swing. The shoulders and arms reach peak velocity prior to impact as well. Even in air swings. Just because things are moving doesn't mean they are accelerating.

[quote name='bhughesgolf' timestamp='1447163765' post='12578460']
Why EJ?
1) I am professional enough not to bag other professionals. Every instructor is doing their best to help golfers. I concern myself with my instruction and what successful ways I have helped people- not what they may be doing right or wrong John has some very insightful thoughts as do many other instructors. We can all learn from various sources and we can all think some sources are irrelevant.
2) Post impact is there for certain. Keep everything moving- its a simple logic that helps accelerating through the hit - even though the strike then disrupts that acceleration/ I show it here and can give you the numbers also from the computer even though I dont have to prove anything to you as a non student
3)prestressed shaft - the club hasnt reached its max speed yet- still loaded. Thats not hard to understand. Even a "scientist" such as Tuttleman explains that in his research
5) Dont do that credit card fees either- dont even know what you are talking about- moan to John E if you our a friend feels hard done by there in that regard
[/quote]

Cool you can get in a time machine to venture back to a time when everyone played balata. Maybe you can hit John up for a game of pitch and putt at the mare lol. I know it burns you guys, but at some point you have to wake up the fact that science has changed the face of golf.

[quote name='Fort Worth Pro' timestamp='1447163376' post='12578430']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Except you can't just look at the torque from the trail arm. Their is also a torque being applied by the lead hand. The mid point of the hands begins to slow before impact. That's a fact
[/quote]

I agree, both hands are involved but are one entity as Mr. Hogan says being driven by the body allowing the process to become a wrist game, and not the kind of wrist game seeking to line things up at the strike. I would say that where that "mid point" of the hands IS in relationship to us as we move them is more important.

[quote name='Roll Tide 885' timestamp='1447164636' post='12578528']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree, both hands are involved but are one entity as Mr. Hogan says being driven by the body allowing the process to become a wrist game, and not the kind of wrist game seeking to line things up at the strike. I would say that where that "mid point" of the hands IS in relationship to us as we move them is more important.
[/quote]

The hands provide opposing torques. They are not one entity.

[quote name='Fort Worth Pro' timestamp='1447164785' post='12578540']
[quote name='Roll Tide 885' timestamp='1447164636' post='12578528']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The hands provide opposing torques. They are not one entity.
[/quote]

I agree, two loads but under one roof.

[quote]In practical terms as to the damage to the deer then it doesn't really make a difference but yes the train does slow down slightly but because it has such high inertia then the effect is negligible. The whole discussion as to minor changes in acceleration due to impact is rather irrelevant to the golf swing I believe, but the intent of trying to keep accelerating the club through and past impact is useful for the swing.[/quote]

Do you actually believe a 10,000 ton, repeat 10,000 ton, train moving at speed would show any real time deceleration when hitting a 150 pound deer. There may be a mathematical process to determine that, but I would imagine it would be something like- .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001.

The clubhead does accelerate slightly post impact (as wrist rehinge well after impact) but after it decelerates drastically (speed becomes less than half of what it was at impact). The club never comes close to reaching its peak velocity at impact let alone passing it. Peak velocity is certainly occurring at impact and not after it. And impact with a driver slow clubhead down by 60+% and an iron would decelerate even more. The magnitude of deceleration post impact is exponentially greater than the acceleration of the clubhead in the downswing.

[quote name='bhughesgolf' timestamp='1447163765' post='12578460']
Why EJ?
[/quote]

2) so you are saying the pivot is accelerating all the way through the shot? Am j reading that correctly?

Good lord, Tide, you sound like JE arguing physics. [i]"That may not be the best video example as it incorporates 2 objects MOVING TOWARD each other." [/i]

You were the one who brought up baseball: [i]"Isn't the [b]speed of a bat's barrel going faster after the strike[/b] [b]of the baseba[/b]ll, sure it is." [/i]

This has been measured:

[i]Just before the bat meets the ball, the wrists are straightened out as the remaining energy is transferred to the bat. About 0.04 seconds before the bat hits the ball, the bat speed reaches about 70 mph (113 km/h).

If the ball is struck properly on the sweet spot, about 50% of the energy stored within the swinging bat is transferred to the ball. The speed of the bat is quickly reduced by approximately 30% from the reaction of the collision—to a speed of about 50 mph (80 km/h)."[/i]

http://www.faqs.org/sports-science/A-Ba-and-timeline/Baseball-Bat-Speed.html

[i]"The force that the bat exerts on the ball is not a constant during the entire duration of contact, but instead follows more of a sine-squared time history, starting and ending at zero and peaking approximately half way through the duration of contact."[/i]

http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/bats/impulse.htm

[quote name='Roll Tide 885' timestamp='1447165478' post='12578592']
[quote]In practical terms as to the damage to the deer then it doesn't really make a difference but yes the train does slow down slightly but because it has such high inertia then the effect is negligible. The whole discussion as to minor changes in acceleration due to impact is rather irrelevant to the golf swing I believe, but the intent of trying to keep accelerating the club through and past impact is useful for the swing.[/quote]

Do you actually believe a 10,000 ton, repeat 10,000 ton, train moving at speed would show any real time deceleration when hitting a 150 pound deer. There may be a mathematical process to determine that, but I would imagine it would be something like- .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001.
[/quote]

Of course I believe it, it is Newton's Third Law, which although the basis of rocket science, isn't all that difficult. I admit it would be a tiny difference, just like when you jump in the air you are moving the earth to a minuscule amount

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1447162688' post='12578376']
[quote name='bhughesgolf' timestamp='1447162131' post='12578336']
Alec
[/quote]

If you do the following [color=#ff0000]we[/color] will forever leave you alone:

1) denounce john as a teacher and swing theorist that caused injury to his students;
2) admit there is no such thing as post impact acceleration Bc it defies physics;
3) admit there can be no prestressed shaft into impact, as that would also defy physics;
4) admit superslotting is a just a move to force a positon on camera and is uterrly useless;
5) it's stupid to charge a student credit card fees; and
6) Grady's swing hasn't changed in 3 years.

But we know you won't and you will continue your affiliation with the self-proclaimed guru.
[/quote]

So there is collaboration going on here after all, are "we" correct on this?