2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Bradley Hughes- Right Arm and Pivot

If someone can show me where in traditional or mainstream instruction the following is taught I'd appreciate it:

Swingweight doesn't matter
MOI doesn't matter
Kickpoint doesn't matter
Taper tip shafts are a gimmick
Tempo doesn't matter
Every modern player sprays the ball
Putting greens are too pure now
Every shot should come off the face as hot as possible
Digital cameras invert shaft flexion
Trackman and Flightscope don't measure acceleration
The PGA Tour is unwatchable because they're all such inept strikers

:swoon:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Bodegabombadier' timestamp='1447105355' post='12575630']
If someone can show me where in traditional or mainstream instruction the following is taught I'd appreciate it:

Swingweight doesn't matter
MOI doesn't matter
Kickpoint doesn't matter
Taper tip shafts are a gimmick
Tempo doesn't matter
Every modern player sprays the ball
Putting greens are too pure now
Every shot should come off the face as hot as possible
Digital cameras invert shaft flexion
Trackman and Flightscope don't measure acceleration
The PGA Tour is unwatchable because they're all such inept strikers

:swoon:
[/quote]

Nice list, if we could footnote it with Brad citations that would be even better.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

It's been my experience that reheated leftovers taste better the next day...

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

[quote name='Atrayn' timestamp='1447100141' post='12575202']
[quote name='QB74' timestamp='1447095681' post='12574918']
The graph in the linked pdf shows a near perfect example of the acceleration profile of the clubhead. I think it is not too far fetched to assume that an amateur (increasingly from low to higher hcpers) will have a profile where the acceleration goes into the negatives before impact. It must be therefore important to fight that, thus, the intent to keep accelerating. I cannot see anything wrong with that.
[/quote]

[quote name='Hawkeye77' timestamp='1447095775' post='12574930']
It does seem like a simple question Brad could answer. Other folks' understanding or misunderstanding what they think he says isn't helpful to the specific question.

Plenty of that on SITD.
[/quote]

So is the problem the fact that he didn't answer that specifically and the video isn't enough? I'd say the same thing. Look at the video.
I've sat back and watched this debate for years. Is it jealousy? Is it internet jockeys trying to point out an error in something a good instructor says and saying "gotcha"?
Everyone gets their panties in a bunch because JE charges for his stuff. So what? Super-slotting? He never said this is how everyone should swing or even try to emulate....
It's just something he discovered on his journey and finally figured out how to teach someone if they were interested. It's not the "Holy Grail"...

Give it a rest already. Bradley and JE have great stuff. If 3/4 of the people on here actually read the volumes that both these guys put out, you'd be able to tell fairly quickly it's much like a lot of other stuff out there available to the general public if, in fact you took the time to read and watch everything. It's just stated in a different way.
[/quote]

I haven't expressed any problem, haven't engaged in any debate, don't wear panties, and have never heard of "JE". I've got no dog in this scrap except curiosity.

I see a simple question directed to a particular person who, if he has time to post "go look at my videos", has time to answer the question.

I find the go look at the videos answer a bit of a dodge, perhaps a marketing suggestion, maybe totally innocent.

I'm curious as to Bradley Hughes' answer, have absolutely no agenda, and am not going to go watch a bunch of videos to try and interpret something when all he needs to do is post an answer and could have done so easily. I'm interested in his opinion.

I'm a fan of Monte's and like to hear his answers to questions directed his way, not others' interpretations or representations of what he is trying to convey.

Just wanting it from the horse's mouth so to speak, nothing more than that from my perspective.

[quote name='Roll Tide 885' timestamp='1447103453' post='12575462']
[quote name='mikah' timestamp='1447100300' post='12575216']
[quote name='Roll Tide 885' timestamp='1447094342' post='12574838']
Isn't the speed of a bat's barrel going faster after the strike of the baseball, sure it is.
[/quote]

the bat is decelerating after the impact with the ball. Just as the clubhead has decelerated after impact with the golf ball.

[b]Newtons Third law[/b]:When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body.
[/quote]

I don't believe the barrel is slowing while the wrists are unloading by turning over on center chest axis. If the ball is hit in front of the plate the wrists need to be still loaded to a large degree while crossing the plate to hold the bat inward toward the center of rotation. The full wrist release of the bat after the strike adds to the speed of the arc moment.

This is a great opportunity for Monte to step into the discussion and lay words down about where the bat speed is greatest. Surely the son of a ball player would know this.
[/quote]

Gifted athletes 'just do it'

There are exceptions but how many gifted athletes pursue degrees in physics?
No offence to Monte's father, but can you imagine Monte's father explaining Newtons Laws to Monte? LOL

Being a gifted athlete as Bradley Hughes is a mixed blessing. Not much incentive to delve into the physics of the golf swing, when your winning golf tournaments.

That the misconception of acceleration of the baseball bat or golf clubhead after impact is still around, is evidence that BS like PIA, needs to be put to rest. Its no wonder a million golfers leave the game every year.

Ahaha Mikah- but is it BS? Remember I am not the only one who has stated it.
I have already given examples of Norman, Player, Venturi, Hogan, Knudson, Sarazen, & Nicklaus talking about its importance- better to live by the physics than to know the answers to the physics.
Just do it- !!! its a sound motto- not just for Nike

[quote name='bhughesgolf' timestamp='1447112411' post='12576168']
I have already given examples of Norman, Player, Venturi, Hogan, Knudson, Sarazen, & Nicklaus talking about its importance- better to live by the physics than to know the answers to the physics.
[/quote]

Only the ball accelerates after impact... FACT

Acceleration is important/deceleration equally important. After the ball is gone, it is meaningless.

Living by the INTENTION is different than living by the physics. We know the physics.

What we dont know is, if you, acknowledge the physics. Like it or not, it speaks to your credibility, Bradley.

[quote name='Hawkeye77' timestamp='1447110896' post='12576036'][quote name='Atrayn' timestamp='1447100141' post='12575202']
The graph in the linked pdf shows a near perfect example of the acceleration profile of the clubhead. I think it is not too far fetched to assume that an amateur (increasingly from low to higher hcpers) will have a profile where the acceleration goes into the negatives before impact. It must be therefore important to fight that, thus, the intent to keep accelerating. I cannot see anything wrong with that.
[/quote]

It does seem like a simple question Brad could answer. Other folks' understanding or misunderstanding what they think he says isn't helpful to the specific question.

Plenty of that on SITD.
[/quote]

So is the problem the fact that he didn't answer that specifically and the video isn't enough? I'd say the same thing. Look at the video.
I've sat back and watched this debate for years. Is it jealousy? Is it internet jockeys trying to point out an error in something a good instructor says and saying "gotcha"?
Everyone gets their panties in a bunch because JE charges for his stuff. So what? Super-slotting? He never said this is how everyone should swing or even try to emulate....
It's just something he discovered on his journey and finally figured out how to teach someone if they were interested. It's not the "Holy Grail"...

Give it a rest already. Bradley and JE have great stuff. If 3/4 of the people on here actually read the volumes that both these guys put out, you'd be able to tell fairly quickly it's much like a lot of other stuff out there available to the general public if, in fact you took the time to read and watch everything. It's just stated in a different way.
[/quote]

I haven't expressed any problem, haven't engaged in any debate, don't wear panties, and have never heard of "JE". I've got no dog in this scrap except curiosity.

I see a simple question directed to a particular person who, if he has time to post "go look at my videos", has time to answer the question.

I find the go look at the videos answer a bit of a dodge, perhaps a marketing suggestion, maybe totally innocent.

I'm curious as to Bradley Hughes' answer, have absolutely no agenda, and am not going to go watch a bunch of videos to try and interpret something when all he needs to do is post an answer and could have done so easily. I'm interested in his opinion.

I'm a fan of Monte's and like to hear his answers to questions directed his way, not others' interpretations or representations of what he is trying to convey.

Just wanting it from the horse's mouth so to speak, nothing more than that from my perspective.[/quote]Waylon Jennings was a better singer than Cash.That should answer your question.

[quote name='mikah' timestamp='1447113119' post='12576222']
[/quote]

Acceleration is important/deceleration equally important. After the ball is gone, it is meaningless.

Living by the INTENTION is different than living by the physics. We know the physics.

What we dont know is, if you, acknowledge the physics. Like it or not, it speaks to your credibility, Bradley.
[/quote]

What about billiards? The fastest moment is after the strike upon the cue ball, and the acceleration work done AFTER the strike is just as important, if not more important, than the stroke length leading up to the strike, or aim, except for some different shots. Both the stick and cue ball accelerate after the strike. I could go on.

[quote name='Grayback1973' timestamp='1447113675' post='12576254']
[quote name='Hawkeye77' timestamp='1447110896' post='12576036'][quote name='Atrayn' timestamp='1447100141' post='12575202']
[/quote]

Plenty of that on SITD.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Just wanting it from the horse's mouth so to speak, nothing more than that from my perspective.[/quote]Waylon Jennings was a better singer than Cash.That should answer your question.
[/quote]

I think I have a better chance of a direct answer from Waylon or Johnny.

[quote name='bhughesgolf' timestamp='1447112537' post='12576174']
Hawkeye
I have dodged and evaded the question in various threads the past week, when that fails I just repeat myself and point to vapid irrelevant videos every time someone wants me to directly respond to them. Search and you shall find I have nothing to say
[/quote]

FIFY

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:21 PM

ad-label.gif

Coat jones, that dude didn't know squat about the golf swing. I doubt he even owned a set of clubs.

http://www.secretinthedirt.com/index.php/forum/9-ben-hogan-modern-fundamentals-of-golf-group-forum/61333-audi-recall-customers-claim-all-red-leakage#97233

This is poetic and tragic all at the same time, five years this old man has been trolling me...

[quote name='Roll Tide 885' timestamp='1447114305' post='12576276']
[/quote]

[/quote]

What about billiards? The fastest moment is after the strike upon the cue ball, and the acceleration work done AFTER the strike is just as important, if not more important, than the stroke length leading up to the strike, or aim, except for some different shots. Both the stick and cue ball accelerate after the strike. I could go on.
[/quote]

The strike is a pendulum motion, not comparable to the leveraged golf swing; but physics is physics:

[url="http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/stroke.html"]http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/stroke.html[/url]

That aside, "accelerating through" can, in theory, give you noticeably more ["juice"] by generating more cue speed before impact commences. One impact begins, virtually nothing short of a superhuman effort can alter things. [b][size=4]And the term "accelerate through" is a misnomer. You can continue to apply force, [size=5]but the impact will inevitably slow the cue down[/size] unless you can muster something on the order of 400 lbs.[/size][/b]

[quote name='Bodegabombadier' timestamp='1447118161' post='12576604']
Roll Tide is Peterich, right? Good lord
[/quote]

Actually, no he's not. Peterich is Hogan1975. More like Cary's style, but who knows.

What's with the SITD stuff above? Don't see that dragging that crap over here really adds much to this thread, but then it's pretty much off the rails now.

[quote name='Hawkeye77' timestamp='1447118436' post='12576628']
[quote name='Bodegabombadier' timestamp='1447118161' post='12576604']
Roll Tide is Peterich, right? Good lord
[/quote]

Actually, no he's not. Peterich is Hogan1975. More like Cary's style, but who knows.

What's with the SITD stuff above? Don't see that dragging that crap over here really adds much to this thread, but then it's pretty much off the rails now.
[/quote]
Hogan1975
Roll Tide 885
Denny 71
Plus whatever others

All Chris P

Coat Jones remains banned but is running play by play on sitd with 5+ handles

Coat is a little old man named Richard outside of Detroit who used to run a crappy little driving range called Riverbend. He's about 80 & retired and loves to try to troll me, Chris P is a different story, he must have multiple personality disorder and they all have a thickening for Brad lol. Birds of a feather..

[quote name='mikah' timestamp='1447117753' post='12576574']
[quote name='Roll Tide 885' timestamp='1447114305' post='12576276']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The strike is a pendulum motion, not comparable to the leveraged golf swing; but physics is physics:

[url="http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/stroke.html"]http://billiards.col...ads/stroke.html[/url]

That aside, "accelerating through" can, in theory, give you noticeably more ["juice"] by generating more cue speed before impact commences. One impact begins, virtually nothing short of a superhuman effort can alter things. [b]And the term "accelerate through" is a misnomer. You can continue to apply force, [size=5]but the impact will inevitably slow the cue down[/size] unless you can muster something on the order of 400 lbs.[/b]
[/quote]

Vague article with lots of wiggle room beside the fact the pendulum set is in fact a leveraged stroke from the elbow lever, or did you forget that piece. Furthermore, the cue will slow due to the ball's inertia but if the acceleration is maintained after the stroke the cue quickly resumes and catches its acceleration rate.

How about making it an open question to Monte, or his dad who certainly would know....is the bat barrel fully accelerated before, or after, contact with the baseball. I believe it is after the hit because that is when the wrists fully release. The straightening of the right arm accelerates the club almost in the same way the pendulum stroke in pool delivers the hit upon the cue ball. The pendulum in pool is the stroke style, powered by an elbow lever for a leveraged stroke. The pendulum serves the lever, not the other way around.

[quote name='Grayback1973' timestamp='1447121480' post='12576910']
[quote name='Hawkeye77' timestamp='1447118624' post='12576640']It's going to be a long winter.[/quote]Dang straight.You better turn on some Marshall Tucker! Fixing to get some cabin fever...
[/quote]

Hmmm, flutes in rock music is more interesting than who got an STD or whatever is being argued in this thread now.

Marshall Tucker, Jethro Tull, Heart (Love Alive and very Zeppelin-esque so add intro to Stairway to Heaven).

And The Voice is underwhelming tonight.