2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Playing blades next year!!!

ge0vis

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ge0vis - since you chose to post in the Classic forum, you should be aware of the local rule here which is to play what you love.

If you check out the other threads here, you'll see that most of the regulars are playing a lot, if not all, of their golf with vintage gear. A lot of blades, a lot of persimmon. You might also notice that none of them have got in your face about your preference for modern blades. None of them has pushed their preferences or judgements into your bag. That's just the kind of lacksadaisical old farts that we mostly are.

The guys who are telling you what to play, based on your index, have got it backwards. As handicap golfers, we have the luxury of playing what we like, and the handicap system can make whatever adjustment (if indeed any) is needed.

For what it's worth, I started the year with a 14 index and ended it off 9. I played and practiced throughout with 30 year old blades. I don't know if I buy the idea that you'll improve better playing blades, but I'm pretty sure they won't impede your progress.

As if score and handicap is the sole reason d'être why we choose to play a particular type of club(s). New or old, ONLY for you to decide. Use whatever gives you enjoyment. Life is to short to worry about such peripheral nonsense. Just Say'in...........

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I'm actually a bit surprised that the PC have found their way here to lob in their drive-by criticisms over the OP's club choice. This past season was my first playing vintage equipment. While I don't have blade irons, I will say that I surprised myself with how well I could hit these tiny clubs versus what the majority of retail people would recommend to someone of my caliber. I even had a playing partner once tell me to sell the clunky modern clubs and stick with the old ones! Most likely you will come to discover that you can do "impossible" things like hit long irons; hit three woods off the deck; have a decent short game with less than 4 wedges and perhaps the most rewarding -- Boy, you'd be pretty good if you only had some new clubs!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1449800691' post='12705736']
So you're a 15? Yea you'll definitely become scratch now that you have blades in the bag! You can always fool em till the first tee!
[/quote]
And you care what he plays, why?
There is no right or wrong in what a person plays in this game. There is only what feels and looks right. Anyone who allows elitist thinking to dictate the equipment that they think they or anyone else should use could very well be missing some very good golf experiences as a result.
I wish the OP nothing but the best in his quest for better golf. What he is contemplating has helped many mid cappers become singles. I hope he becomes one of them.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Earlier this year, despite my crappy 13-handicap being [i]far too high[/i] for me to play blades, ( :) ), I beat a 6-handicap golfer in a scratch match off the same tees, with me playing hickory clubs and a ladies ball and him using his modern "Players cavities", R15 and Pro Vi.

Great day that was :)

Back on topic, and my vote is for playing the [b]712 MBs[/b]. Much cleaner lines and a modern interpretation of a classic design!

Of course I wouldn't even contemplate selling any of your other sets either, unless you absolutely have to ... I used to have 40 sets in a 500 sq. feet 2-bedroom apartment before I moved house - you can find the space for 4 sets I think. If the wife is moaning then retaliate with how many shoes and handbags she has ... :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

You know Gentlemen, these internet dust-ups about what type clubs an X handicapper "should" play always reminded me of a cartoon I saw once...

So I seached on the interwebs and found it! Sorry I couldn't figure out how to embed it, so you'll have to click on the link:

[url="http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png"]http://imgs.xkcd.com.../duty_calls.png[/url]

:wave:

Kathy Marie

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1449848966' post='12707372']
So you're a 15? Yea you'll definitely become scratch now that you have blades in the bag! You can always fool em till the first tee!
[/quote]
There is no right or wrong in what a person plays in this game. There is only what feels and looks right. Anyone who allows elitist thinking to dictate the equipment that they think they or anyone else should use could very well be missing some very good golf experiences as a result.
I wish the OP nothing but the best in his quest for better golf. What he is contemplating has helped many mid cappers become singles. I hope he becomes one of them.
[/quote]
You must not have read OP's post where he said "I want to get better and think this is a step in the right direction, what do you guys think?"
I sure didn't miss it. You did.

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1449921775' post='12710750']
[/quote]
[/quote]
You must not have read OP's post where he said "I want to get better and think this is a step in the right direction, what do you guys think?"
[/quote]

There are many people who believe playing blades make them better. Do I believe it? Not really. But,I could be wrong.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1449921775' post='12710750']
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Do I sense a slight cultural dissonance here?
I don't read anything into the posts which suggest folk posting here didn't get the gist of the OPs topic.

[quote name='ge0vis' timestamp='1449587296' post='12694670']
I was playing an old set of Nike vr cavity backs and [b]I've always wanted to play blades.[/b] Never thought I would be good enough and was steered away. But this off season I've acquired my favorite three sets and I'm gonna hit the indoor range and then play them next year. [b]I love the way they look[/b] and feel. Plus instant feedback of how you hit the ball. I'm a 15 handicap and want to get better, and I think this is a good step to improve as well what do you guys think?
[/quote]

I've always bought irons based on looks and not performance - I just enjoy a simple looking club!

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1449939357' post='12711480']
[b]There is no "supposed to". And for those that think there is, they can pound sand.[/b]

If a person wants to play MBs, or use iron head covers, or a staff bag, or wear a white belt, so what?

People need to mind their own business and worry about themselves. Lord knows THEY have lots of room for improvement.
[/quote]

Agree!

Handicap:  3

[quote name='Eidolon' timestamp='1449641683' post='12697892']
Shouldn't this be in the "Bag Room Equipment" forum?
[/quote]Naaahhh because he is understood and respected with open arms over here

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1449846564' post='12707212']
I'm actually a bit surprised that the PC have found their way here to lob in their drive-by criticisms over the OP's club choice. This past season was my first playing vintage equipment. While I don't have blade irons, I will say that I surprised myself with how well I could hit these tiny clubs versus what the majority of retail people would recommend to someone of my caliber. I even had a playing partner once tell me to sell the clunky modern clubs and stick with the old ones! Most likely you will come to discover that you can do "impossible" things like hit long irons; hit three woods off the deck; have a decent short game with less than 4 wedges and perhaps the most rewarding -- Boy, you'd be pretty good if you only had some new clubs!
[/quote]LOL I love that last line especially when I have the 1962 CF-4000s in the bag or the 1940 Tommy Armours!

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

The "he should be playing such and such clubs because he's a 15" responses is amusing. I was a 20 when I switched to blades, was told I was crazy, and I watched my scores start dropping immediately.

With only one exception, every time I've tried to play a CB for an extended period, my scores have risen.

Interesting aside: why do people forget Payne Stewart's game went backwards when he went to the "more forgiving" clubs? :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1449976025' post='12713464'] I was a 20 when I switched to blades, was told I was crazy... And
why do people forget Payne Stewart's game went backwards when he went to the "more forgiving" clubs? :)
[/quote]

God I love golf. Only sport where a chop (20 handicapper) feels as though he relates with a professional (tour player).

Have the thorns of hate and discontent woven their way to our little corner of the web?
We have discussed pro and con the club A design with respect to club B design on more than one occasion, and at best a raise of an eyebrow and tone.
Furthermore, a few of the participants actually had more than tribal knowledge of the subject matter, being from the professional ranks in the industry.
I do not remember a prior discussion where an individual, was put "on the stand and cross examined" along with his weapon of choice.
What has changed to cause this new found lack of civility, etiquette, and tolerance...

It's bound to happen occasionally Randy. Interlopers who wander in to our "little corner" with commentary all to often espoused <. We've tried reason and explanation of how we go about things here (i.e. it's ALL good and accepted as long as you're having fun with it). Unfortunately, there is some form of unexplained mission involved. Now trending past a disagreement to a tone that is bordering on becoming snarky. Just to prove a point? Dunno. I'm not "good enough" to play the style of clubs in discussion. But do so anyways because I enjoy it. That simple and for no other reason.

As the OP stated, he was glad he posted his original comments here. A safe haven of sorts where his excitement for a new path forward to playing the game could be expressed. Where it would be accepted at face value, without prejudice, or judgement. With encouragement offered by many. But that was to expected, a matter of routine. That's what we do here.

Such is life on the internets occasionally.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1450013283' post='12714280']
Have the thorns of hate and discontent woven their way to our little corner of the web?
[/quote]

No; just one thorn.

We are sufficiently eccentric over here than I suspect this will pass when the interlocutor tires and moves on to another hot button topic on a different WRX forum.

FWIW in the context of this discussion, the ability to improve is much more about the motivation and dedication of the individual than the choice in weapon provided the fit is reasonable. I'll leave it up to the reader to decide whether head type is part of the equation.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1449995824' post='12713982']
[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1449976025' post='12713464'] I was a 20 when I switched to blades, was told I was crazy... And
why do people forget Payne Stewart's game went backwards when he went to the "more forgiving" clubs? :)
[/quote]

God I love golf. Only sport where a chop (20 handicapper) feels as though he relates with a professional (tour player).
[/quote]

Your logic, but hopefully not your belligerence, cuts both ways my friend.

How many times have we heard the argument that amateurs have no business playing blades when tour pro X plays cavitybacks?

The point, as you correctly pointed out albeit with a slightly inaccurate quote, was whether the OP could swap to blades and still expect to improve. All that people are doing is trying, drawing on their own experiences, to reassure him that he absolutely can.

Back in the 90's I got into the hobby of club building.After a few years I hooked up with KZG as a dealer. Anyway, I was playing about 3 times a week then and my handicap always was in the 9-13 range and the variation was from periods of time when my short game would be a little off. I played the KZG blades for a couple of years and my scores never changed. Since then I've played other blades, forged CB's, SGI irons, I've run the gauntlet. My biggest regret the past 10 years has been listening to so called self proclaimed experts telling me what clubs I should be playing because of a number. Its been said here a thousand times, play what you like and enjoy the game "your way". Dedication to the game and practice will determine your future scores. There are a lot of guys here that are anal about what they shoot and are miserable if they shoot a 82 instead of a 79. Remember, a 2 handicap here on WRX is still a "chop or a hack" compared to the best players in the world. Golf should be fun, not a pi$$ing contest.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

[quote name='c5bubblechaser' timestamp='1450020927' post='12714552']
Now you'll have so,etching to blame when you inevitably hit a turd shot!
[/quote]

??

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

It does seem one of the fine WRX antiblade trolls has made his way here. They're consistent, certainly, both in their intent and lack of coherence. :)

Speaking to the original post, and poster, there's no harm in giving them a go. They may work for you, they may not work for you. The only way to know is to give them a true effort.

My profile is similar, being someone having to overcome an inconsistent tee game. With irons, my mistakes tend to be in terms of shot direction and not in terms of contact on the clubface. Perhaps this is where the blades have worked for me, though I've rarely seen the fabled forgiveness allegedly offered by the game improvement world. And those sorts of clubs, like my ISI, have not proven to help my scores. In fact, quite the contrary, as evidenced yet again by my scores this past season (hdcp up more than a full stroke after committing to ISI).

Ultimately, even if your scores were to suffer a bit, if you enjoy playing the blades, why not do so. There's little point in playing with something you don't enjoy using. If you find you don't enjoy them, you can switch back, knowing for certain they weren't for you.

All the wailing and gnashing of teeth, protestations of a certain portion of the golf nerd populace, aren't relevant in the face of your personal experience.

Take your shot and we'll see what we'll see. :)

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I'm sure it will come up at some point, so I'll toss this in here....

As mentioned earlier, I was a 20 hdcp when I switched. Dropped immediately to the low teens. Three years later, I'm a 10. Another few years later, I'm an 8. Three years ago, dropped to a 7 playing Eye2+ for a calendar year (the only CB set that hasn't caused me trouble, amusingly), then dropped another two strokes in six weeks after switching back to blades.

When you pull the blades out and your friends say "why aren't you playing those, you hit the ball so much better with them?" it tends to wipe away any confirmation bias. lol

There it is, the five cent version of my story. Enough about me. Let's get back to the topic at hand.

ge0vis, such as my opinion matters.... I say dump the Titleists. I've never been impressed with their products (a long story, for another thread, lol). I think the Srixon's are quite nice, and the sole is excellent. Bounce in irons is oft overlooked.

If you're not a particularly high trajectory player, and don't have trouble with too much spin (aka no issues in wind), I would suggest a set of Mizuno blades may be a good choice, with the exception of MP-37s or MP-29s, which tend to provide lower trajectories. MP-14s and MP-33s are quite splendid. And may be hard to find in good shape.

Any number of Wilson Staff models, or one of my personal favorites, Golden Rams, are an excellent choice, as MacGregors, Powerbilts, and so on. The upside of older clubs, they're considerably cheaper, and can be easily refitted with shafts to suit your swing, should that be necessary.

The downside, they tend not to have as nice a sole grind as something like the MP-14s or MP-33s, to use a couple obvious examples.

A couple random thoughts to add to the thread. :)