Private Club Membership - How far away is too far away?

Hey, awr_84: A bear walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Hey, what'll ya have?" The bear says: "I'll have a ............................................................................................................ beer." Bartender says: "Why the big pause?" The bear lifts up his hands and says: "I was born with 'em."

What's your decision?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The advice i received with regards to proximity was as follows:

Get completely dressed at your house ready to play golf. Load up your clubs, shoes, and anything else necessary for your day (anything you may need to do post-round). Drive to the club and park. Immediately drive back to your house as if you forgot something important. If that was too much of a hassle, then don't join and find something closer. Your comment about local qualifying implies that you will want to practice a lot as well. I would say 2 - 5 miles max if you live in a metro area. I have two kids under the age of 5, a very demanding business I run with a few partners and i live 3.8 miles from my club which is also about 5 miles from my office. I can drop in a putt for 20 minutes and run home without any problems at all. On a really good weekday, i can drop in and walk 3 holes during lunch and not miss a beat. IMO, proximity trumps all. Also, think long-term (future family, job changes etc..). Good luck!

I agree with most on here... proximity is key. I moved close to two daily fee golf courses, one of which co-hosted the stroke play portion of the 2006 US Amateur. It has a great practice facility & I putt or pitch/work on short game more than I play now. Plus I can go play other courses with my buddies & then it's not like I'm lighting money on fire by not playing at one private club. I think proximity is the biggest factor, followed by good greens & then being able to hit all clubs in your bag during a round.

Good luck on your decision!

Judd

Tough choices, but the lack of driving range takes #3 out of the equation for me.
#4 is just too far - trust me, I did a 40 min commute for about 8 months - it sucked. I moved closer to the club.
#1 - smells in the summer is enough for me.
#2 seems to be the best choice of the four, even if the clubhouse and membership are "older". Make sure you ask around about assessments and when the club plans on renovations.

DD4442 - I haven't made my decision yet. I am dissecting each club and hope to decide by New Year

Zeverson- I played #2 yesterday and #4 today.
#2 was a 17 minute drive in the morning & 22 on the way home. Not terrible but would be an inconvenience.
#4 was a 48 minute drive in the morning & 50 on the way home. There is no way I could do that 2 to 3 days a week to play let alone socialize

mccjud - There are 5 public courses and a total 6 practice facilities that are closer to my house than the closest private club but they aren't worth writing home about.

Chomper - #3 claims that they have plans for a driving range but the plans need to be approved because of all the environmentally safe land surrounding the club. #4 is too far and I realized that my path in life is not moving closer to that club for work or living, that area just isn't for me. #3 would be settling, I overheard that after this summer they're gonna close the front 9 for 6 months. That being said... the club only has 18 playable holes at the same time in a 18 month time frame. #2 does sound like the best choice, they also have a Young Executive plan that pays for itself in the long run, Sprinkler system set for 2020 and I am sure a clubhouse by 2025 but if I can get in now and be there after the renovations it could save me thousands in the long run

I appreciate all the input you guys have given, it's gonna be a tough decision

[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1451429098' post='12777276']
To the OP,

What is wrong with current public golfing setup that would be solved with a private course?

#2 Seems like the only choice.
[/quote]

Public golf in general is okay with me, the problem I have is the courses that I am surrounded by.

One course recently made a deal with the city and it is now considered a public park. golfers can bring their dogs on the course, residents can play baseball, football, drone races on the course at all times and outsiders can use it as a jogging/walking path or a cut thru. On top of that it has too many annual members jumping around on holes like they own the place, thre are no marshals and the ridiculous deals they put out on golfnow and groupon are bringing in the wrong type of golfer. NO RESPECT FOR THE COURSE!

The other courses have their issues as well but I won't get into it.

I really want to be able to wake up and play a well maintained course in a reasonable amount of time surrounded by respectful people with similar intentions with a beautiful backdrop (clubhouse, views, etc) Some public courses offer that but it's the luck of the draw on a day-to-day basis

[quote name='awr_84' timestamp='1451357554' post='12774066']
#2 does sound like the best choice, they also have a Young Executive plan that pays for itself in the long run, Sprinkler system set for 2020 and I am sure a clubhouse by 2025 but if I can get in now and be there after the renovations it could save me thousands in the long run
[/quote]

I'm not sure how you're expecting to save money by joining before the renovations, but my guess is you're wrong on that front. They're going to need money to pay for the sprinkler system and clubhouse. At a private course, that money comes from the members. A Young Executive plan is great, but realize that they can raise your dues or rearrange their age brackets or assess you or start charging a capital improvement fee every month any time they feel like it. The club I left last year did all those things in the two years I was a member!

If they've guaranteed in writing that your dues won't be raised and that you won't be assessed then ignore me. But I'd wager a lot of money they haven't guaranteed anything, because that's not what clubs do. Club memberships don't pay for themselves - if you're joining a club to save money, you're very likely to end up disappointed. I think you've picked the right club of the four choices you listed, but you still need to make this decision with your eyes open and with a full grasp of everything that joining a club entails, especially if you're considering a club with some major capital expenditures planned over the next several years.

[quote name='thurmdiesel' timestamp='1451489734' post='12779968']
[quote name='awr_84' timestamp='1451357554' post='12774066']
#2 does sound like the best choice, they also have a Young Executive plan that pays for itself in the long run, Sprinkler system set for 2020 and I am sure a clubhouse by 2025 but if I can get in now and be there after the renovations it could save me thousands in the long run
[/quote]

I'm not sure how you're expecting to save money by joining before the renovations, but my guess is you're wrong on that front. They're going to need money to pay for the sprinkler system and clubhouse. At a private course, that money comes from the members. A Young Executive plan is great, but realize that they can raise your dues or rearrange their age brackets or assess you or start charging a capital improvement fee every month any time they feel like it. The club I left last year did all those things in the two years I was a member!

If they've guaranteed in writing that your dues won't be raised and that you won't be assessed then ignore me. But I'd wager a lot of money they haven't guaranteed anything, because that's not what clubs do. Club memberships don't pay for themselves - if you're joining a club to save money, you're very likely to end up disappointed. I think you've picked the right club of the four choices you listed, but you still need to make this decision with your eyes open and with a full grasp of everything that joining a club entails, especially if you're considering a club with some major capital expenditures planned over the next several years.
[/quote]

Get a copy of the By-laws and find out what the assessment policy is for the club, as well as all the info on the club's financials that you can. My club by-laws specifically states that ANYTHING above a certain amount (that I happen to be very comfortable with), has to be approved by a majority of the membership. This greatly reduces the fear that there will be some huge surprise expense that you didn't see coming.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I could not do a far away course. My course is 5min drive to get there and 20min walk home if I decide to have a few.

When I joined a club one thing I did not consider was the type of people at the club. I got lucky a picked a very friendly club. Wether I pop down looking for a game or stop in for a drink after work I don't need to worry about who I am going to play with or have a drink with. It is kind of like Cheers - you walk in and they all say "Norm!".

Of course it took a while to get to know everybody, but it was easy getting to know them.

Now that I have been a member for a dozen year of a club in the city of have a really good idea of the culture of each club and know what clubs might be a good fit for myself or others. If you can try to find a long time member of on of the clubs, likely they will know the dirt on the all clubs you are looking at and can help you know with club as the atmosphere you are looking for.

[quote name='awr_84' timestamp='1451447450' post='12778618']
[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1451429098' post='12777276']
To the OP,

What is wrong with current public golfing setup that would be solved with a private course?

#2 Seems like the only choice.
[/quote]

Public golf in general is okay with me, the problem I have is the courses that I am surrounded by.

One course recently made a deal with the city and it is now considered a public park. golfers can bring their dogs on the course, residents can play baseball, football, drone races on the course at all times and outsiders can use it as a jogging/walking path or a cut thru. On top of that it has too many annual members jumping around on holes like they own the place, thre are no marshals and the ridiculous deals they put out on golfnow and groupon are bringing in the wrong type of golfer. NO RESPECT FOR THE COURSE!

The other courses have their issues as well but I won't get into it.

[size=5][b]I really want to be able to wake up and play a well maintained course in a reasonable amount of time surrounded by respectful people with similar intentions with a beautiful backdrop (clubhouse, views, etc) [/b][/size]Some public courses offer that but it's the luck of the draw on a day-to-day basis
[/quote]

If that's what you really want - NONE of those courses will allow you to do that.

Too far to "just wake up and play", and their conditions don't fit your description either.

Thanks again for all the help guys, it's really eye opening when you put everything down on paper and see the overall cost just to be a member even before any assessments/improvements.

I think I made my decision, I am confident that the club of choice is where I want to be in the near future. Having a Young Exec w/month-to-month option makes it easier to stomach the commitment.

Have a Happy & Healthy New Year everyone.

Andrew

My family use to belong to a club about 35 minutes away . We joined a club about 7 minutes away if I catch the lights wrong . It's a public/private track and the other was private
But there's something to be said for the ability to leave your house and be able to be on the first tee in 15 minutes if you want to be

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @_aaron_wilson

My club is 20 minutes away. I live (when in AZ) 3 minutes away from another highly ranked private course and 8 minutes from two others but it wasn't even close on deciding which one to join. I want a course with a small membership, no difficulty making a tee time and that I can walk 365 days/year, especially since I am out of town so often. I also really wanted a golf club first and didn't really care about the rest. That is what my primary club is, a golf club. Everyone that is a member there is there because they love the game. There's no other reason to join since the majority of the membership is there at most 50% of the time.

We are getting ready to join another club in the area for business reasons that is downtown and will take me 35-40 minutes to get to unless I am at the office. I wouldn't do it if weren't beneficial to my career and local connections but it is a country club and that helps with the local business market as we continue a move towards being in AZ 75%+ of the time instead of 50% of the time. The bright side is that it is completely different at least and not a desert course at all. Unlike a lot of people that post here I love desert courses but if I'm going to belong to two clubs then I would prefer that they vary greatly in some way (kinda like living in NY and AZ :) ).

• 2 years later...

Proximity to home and work is a big for me. I changed clubs this year and went from 40 minutes to 20 minutes. I've thanked myself many times over. My current club has a more out going and welcoming membership. Very diverse ages and occupations. That has meant more to me than I would have expected.

I am a bit of a range rat. I always warm up before playing and a really good short game practice area is important to me.

Closed on Monday would be pretty far down on my list of criteria. Those Mondays where I do choose to play it becomes an away game. Seeing another course every now and again is something I really enjoy.

Phred

I am currently choosing to join membership between 2 private clubs.

First option - 15 mins drive but not in top 100. Decent 18 holes.

Second option - 30 mins drive but in the top 100 with better facilities. 27 holes.

Any advise guys?

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

I would pick the better course 100 times out of 100. The can't drive 30 min people are fascinating to me.

Oh... I didn't mention. I have a new born baby of 6 months.

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Ball - Srixon Z Star

My choices are as follows:

1. Rosanna Golf Club - https://www.rosannagolf.com.au

Pros:

1. 15 minutes drive from home. Hence I can quickly go for a 9 hole round after work.

2. Only 30 mins drive from Melbourne city so friends are more likely to come out and play together.

3. Members are extremely social and overall good vibe.

4. Already have couple people I know who are members here. Good place to know the local community.

Cons:

1. Greens are very slow.

2. Not in the top 100 ranking in Australia.

3. Short driving range - max 7 iron

4. Slightly more picey - Joining fee of $1500 and annual membership of $3200.

5. There is $8 fee for every club competition.

2. The Eastern Golf Club - https://www.easterng...displayHomePage

Course review - https://www.golfaust...olf-club-427965

Rank 67 (North Course) , Rank 47 (South Course) - https://www.golfaust...olf-club-427965

Pros:

1. Designed by Greg Norman and ranked in top 50 in Australia.

2. No fees to join weekly competition.

3. 27 holes with other facilities like children's play room, fishing, bush walking trail etc.

4. Cheaper membership - Joining fee $1000 and annual membership of $2500.

5. State of art Taylormade fitting facility.

Cons:

1. 30 mins drive from my home. 1 hour from the city.

2. Very young course. 3 years old I believe.

About myself:

Have a new born son of 6 months. Like to practice on the range and play 2 times a week. Corporate job in marketing.

I am torn between these two.. Please help!

Ball - Srixon Z Star

I would pick the better course 100 times out of 100. The can't drive 30 min people are fascinating to me.

Mine is 5 weeks old. Same answer :)

Yeah I am driving out to the better course after work this evening to see if I can handle...

Ball - Srixon Z Star

My choices are as follows:

1. Rosanna Golf Club - https://www.rosannagolf.com.au

Pros:

1. 15 minutes drive from home. Hence I can quickly go for a 9 hole round after work.

2. Only 30 mins drive from Melbourne city so friends are more likely to come out and play together.

3. Members are extremely social and overall good vibe.

4. Already have couple people I know who are members here. Good place to know the local community.

Cons:

1. Greens are very slow.

2. Not in the top 100 ranking in Australia.

3. Short driving range - max 7 iron

4. Slightly more picey - Joining fee of $1500 and annual membership of $3200.

5. There is $8 fee for every club competition.

2. The Eastern Golf Club - https://www.easterng...displayHomePage

Course review - https://www.golfaust...olf-club-427965

Rank 67 (North Course) , Rank 47 (South Course) - https://www.golfaust...olf-club-427965

Pros:

1. Designed by Greg Norman and ranked in top 50 in Australia.

2. No fees to join weekly competition.

3. 27 holes with other facilities like children's play room, fishing, bush walking trail etc.

4. Cheaper membership - Joining fee $1000 and annual membership of $2500.

5. State of art Taylormade fitting facility.

Cons:

1. 30 mins drive from my home. 1 hour from the city.

2. Very young course. 3 years old I believe.

About myself:

Have a new born son of 6 months. Like to practice on the range and play 2 times a week. Corporate job in marketing.

I am torn between these two.. Please help!

I wish I had club dues in that ballpark...initiation fees aren’t outrageous around here (unless it’s a prestigious, top club) but the monthly fees range between between 500-800/month...not including cart fees

I would look at your expectations for use now and know that it’s going only going to get more challenging to get out as your kid (s) grow , even for a bucket of balls or a quick 9. For that reason I think you’ll find ,especially as your kids grows older, the 15 minute round-trip is going to make things a heckuva lot more practical than an hour round-trip. If you only expect to go there once a week anyway and can block out the time, go for the better course . But I suspect you want to be there at least three times a week either hitting balls or playing we’re hang out - as long as there is no pace of play or getting on issues at the close of course I would go for that . I’ve got 3 young kids and 90% of my golf is “squeezed in” and convenience and time are gold- not ideal but better than not playing at all.

I’m asked my wife what she thought and she was in 100% agreement. 30 minutes is not a big deal. Not loving your club is a big deal. She was fascinated by the “30 is too far people” and thought I was making it up. :lol:

I don’t know where anyone lives but we (wife and I) talk about this frequently. In our small, rural town, getting around is quick and easy. It’s always a bit of a shock when we’re in a bigger area. No more just “buzz over to the store”. Everything and everywhere seems like a major excursion for us.

Whenever we’re in Denver or Phoenix, it seems like it does take a minimum of 30 minutes to get almost anywhere. We’re in the process of moving now, to a bigger place, although not a major area, and I’m contemplating a course that is about 30 minutes away. It does seem long when first thinking about it.

You'd be surprised how valuable even an extra 30 minutes becomes once you have kids. Especially once they get involved in their own activities ...

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

You'd be surprised how valuable even an extra 30 minutes becomes once you have kids. Especially once they get involved in their own activities ...

I have two kids and one is 13. It isn’t a factor. To me this is simple, either I have time to play or I don’t. An extra 30 minutes makes no difference in that equation as far as I can tell. An average round at my club takes 3:45. 20-23 minutes to get there. Warm up for 20-30. 20-23 to get back. I’m usually gone 5:00-5:15 give or take. If it were 5:15-5:30 or 4:45-5:00 instead I would play exactly 0 more rounds/year.

Here’s where it makes a difference. I’m not interested in playing a few holes before or after work. Many people are and I get that. That part makes sense. The only time I play less than 18 is when I have a kid with me. :)