A Quick Review on MG Golf Glove (Cabretta leather glove)

rymail00

Whats up guys.

Well I haven't seen really anything on these and figured I'd give a quick review for anyone who might be on the fence about them.

It started I'd say maybe 8 weeks ago when I got an email from some online golf store. I can't remember which one it was but at the time they were doing a buy one get one free (BOGO for short) on their Cabretta leather glove called "DynaGrip Golve" also with a Golf Digest 1 year membership. I thought the BOGO was only for the deal through the online store, but after looking at the MG site I realized that they always sell their gloves in BOGO? Before this email I've never really heard of MG Golf before. The deal was decent enough to give it a try. It was like $13 for the two gloves and magazine shipped.

The DynaGrip glove I ordered with package deal was/is $9.95 for two gloves, and they felt like the Titleist leather glove as well as the Footjoy leather glove (I believe both the Titleist and Footjoy are right around $19-23 for the single glove, but not positive though). The thickness of the leather was very comparable to the Titleist and Footjoy Gloves. It seemed "to me" they were about identical to large company's gloves but instead you get two of them for half the price. I've had now quite few rounds and range sessions and this glove has felt great and rather durable.

I also order their "DynaGrip Elite" style glove to try and see if it was maybe considerably better or not, and it was $13.95 BOGO.. This glove was like the reg DynaGrip glove but was considerably thinner for "better feel that pros prefer" according to their site. That may be true, but again when comparing both MG gloves to Tileist and Footjoy leather gloves their cheaper model the DynaGrip, felt the closest to the Titleist and Footjog feel wise and due to its thickness.

Now if I had to choose I'd say the DynaGrip Elite (the thinner model) did feel better. Both gloves though felt great.

According to MG Golf the DynaGrip Elite (the thinner more expensive glove) would wear faster over time, which makes sense due to its thinner structure. Even though I liked the feel of the DynaGrip Elite better, it's not enough to want to play it exclusively over the cheaper and thicker DynaGrip. Regardless both were really good gloves. Personally I really like having a "fresh" glove. And at these price points I have no problem retiring a glove earlier than normal at these prices (hope that makes sense?).

So if maybe you were on the fence on trying these gloves I'd say at least give them a chance, plus being $9.95 & $13.95 helps. I know a few of my buddies are very happy with leather Titleist gloves, and don't feel a need to switch, and they are great gloves so I can't blame them in the least. But if you like switching gloves often these are not a bad idea, especially since you can basically get 4 gloves for a few bucks more than one glove by a major these companies.

MG Golf also has a third model as well. It too is $13.95 and is their "tech model". It's basically the the cheaper DynaGrip but with black spandex over the top knuckles.

I hope this was helpful.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='KK44' timestamp='1450668772' post='12745688']
Nice write up. Might have to give these a go.

Looks like they have gone up to $11.95 already.
[/quote][quote name='KK44' timestamp='1450668772' post='12745688']
Nice write up. Might have to give these a go.

Looks like they have gone up to $11.95 already.
[/quote]

Hey thanks man I appreciate that.

I just looked at my old email invoice and they were at the time $9.95. It's possible that was a sale price at the time. I just checked their site and as you mentioned they are now $11.95 so I'm guessing it was a sale when I got them.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

[quote name='adizero' timestamp='1450669846' post='12745762']
I think I may have tried these many years ago. Forgot about the company MG Golf. As I recall they were pretty good. I usually buy Titleist or Footjoy StaSoft blems off of ebay. I will give MG another shot. I like having fresh gloves in the bag.
[/quote]

I agree their a great price for taking a chance/gamble on.

For the last bunch of years I've played the Footjoy WeatherSof glove, that was always a two glove deal for around $20. I always wanted to play their leather glove or Titleist leather glove, but have not because like I mentioned I go through gloves rather quickly, they're nowhere near ruined, but I prefer the feel of a new or slightly used glove. And the reason I'd switch gloves often was for the fact I felt like they were "cheap" enough to to retire them early. I'm sure if I played the Titleist or Footjoy leather "I'd feel" obligated to play it tills it completely worn out and useless do to the price. So being able to get almost 4 leather gloves compared to the one by the major OEM's for me was a no brainer. BUT I've not played either DynaGrip or DynaGrip Elite enough to really know how they compare to Titleist's or Footjoy leather glove over numerous months. But I have to believe two MG gloves would last longer than the major OEM glove (also about 40% less for two compared to the glove).

I'd just like to emphasize this is just my $.02, and just my thoughts on their gloves. They worked well for me, and hope this review does not come across as an infomercial, or a "fan boy" review. If anyone's tried them and felt completely opposite of how I feel, please feel free to post in this thread. I'm sure other members would like to hear different views.

Ryan aka rymail00

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

Wow. Sounds like quite a few people have had the Velcro problem. I've been switching back and fourth on the range between the DynaGrip and the Elite, and then use one on the front and other on back. I'm not sure if they fixed the problem or it just hasn't happened yet. As far as I can remember the Velcro worked well and never came undone yet.

The only thing I did notice with the Velcro was that the Elite seemed to fit looser. To make it feel as tight as the reg DynaGrip I had to pull the Velcro strap so that half was hanging over the edge of the Velcro (it seemed to fit slightly larger).

I'm playing tomorrow. If it happens to come undo or not I guess I'll post real quick about it. But I haven't had anything like that happen yet to where I thought about it coming undone.

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

Well got to get out and play today. The Velcro was still not an issue. I compared the MG Velcro to my Weathersoft gloves and the both took the same amount of force to pull apart. If anything the MG glove might of had been stronger in that aspect by a small fraction.

So maybe they changed it.....? I don't know.....

The only complaint I can think of is they seem to stretch just a bit after a couple weeks and were not a snug as it was when it was brand new. Today I noticed I had to kind of pull the glove slightly up before taking my grip on the club. This is the only thing I noticed as a possible negative about the glove and I guess that's really just being supe picky. It could be that there sizing is just a hair larger than I'm used to with the Weathersoft, or it possible stretched from steady use. In all honesty this a something I'd never of noticed f iI wasn't giving a review, it would of been a nonfactor. I guess I only noticed when thinking about trying to write the pros and cons on the gloves.

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

I bought some this past Summer. I am still playing golf - if you can believe that- here in New England. The velcro issue starting to appear now. Not sure of it's the cold morning weather. I do not like it when the velcro detaches, trying to put it back on and on and on. Great glove if you do not have the velcro issue.

[quote name='Cuja444' timestamp='1450820091' post='12752958']
same here bought 5 of them and the velcro was crap
[/quote]

I have been using the "Elite" gloves for years. I always buy 3 at a time and get 6 that last me at least a year and I play 5 days per week year 'round weather permitting.

I did have two gloves where the velcro was "crap" as you put it but I contacted them about this to see if they were aware of any problem. They indicated they did have a batch come through where this was an issue. They offered to replace the two used gloves as well as any I had not opened yet with gloves known to have good velcro. I only had two unopened gloves so I passed on their offer even though it would have cost me nothing. A friend of mine who I had convinced to try the MG gloves ran into the same problem and I had him contact them and they replaced all of the gloves he had bought, both new and used, free of charge. I don't recall how many he had but he had a far greater number of them than I did so he didn't want to take the chance. He has had no issue on the new batch and I have received another 6 and so far the velcro problem has not been repeated on the ones I have used.

I use these and they seem to last longer than my FJ / Titleist gloves. I tend to retire them before the rips come because they seem to stretch out a bit. That being said, I tend to get more than my money's worth and use the older gloves for the range and newer ones for the course.

Cannot say that I have had a Velcro problem with the gloves.

[quote name='NCLancer' timestamp='1451154922' post='12765582']
To the OP: You played on Christmas Eve in Plattsburgh????
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yup. It's been incredibly warm up through Xmas. On Xmas eve here we topped out in the 60's which is unheard of, and Xmas was near 50*. Prior to this year the latest I've ever played here was last year, the Tuesday before thanksgiving. But yesterday it dropped into the 30's and is going to stay that way or colder from here on out. But it was awesome while it lasted!!

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

I have been using the thicker one which I really like. I read about the velcro problems over the summer but the gloves I ordered back in August were all fine so they must have the problem fixed.

Hard to beat them for the price. I thought the premium glove was a little too thin for me, but that is just a personal preference. The ones I use last a long time. Pretty remarkable.

[quote name='phil75070' timestamp='1451173467' post='12766432']
[quote name='Cuja444' timestamp='1450820091' post='12752958']
same here bought 5 of them and the velcro was crap
[/quote]

I have been using the "Elite" gloves for years. I always buy 3 at a time and get 6 that last me at least a year and I play 5 days per week year 'round weather permitting.

I did have two gloves where the velcro was "crap" as you put it but I contacted them about this to see if they were aware of any problem. They indicated they did have a batch come through where this was an issue. They offered to replace the two used gloves as well as any I had not opened yet with gloves known to have good velcro. I only had two unopened gloves so I passed on their offer even though it would have cost me nothing. A friend of mine who I had convinced to try the MG gloves ran into the same problem and I had him contact them and they replaced all of the gloves he had bought, both new and used, free of charge. I don't recall how many he had but he had a far greater number of them than I did so he didn't want to take the chance. He has had no issue on the new batch and I have received another 6 and so far the velcro problem has not been repeated on the ones I have used.
[/quote]

Thanks for the information. I never really thought about contacting them since I got them for 5$ each so i really wasnt worried about it I got what i paid for and at that price they were worth a shot. I been using the tour preferred t-made glove and love them.

I like the gloves. Used all three and had no complaints. While I liked them they weren't much better than the Callaway 3-Pack I get at Costco.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

[/quote]

You seem surprised by this. I'm guessing you have been up here before and know how crazy that really is lol.

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

[quote name='Matt J' timestamp='1451275434' post='12770416']
I just received the 4 that I ordered and the quality seems exceptional for the price. I would say that the ones I ordered may run a bit larger than FJ. I bought the M/L because that's what I wear in FJ, but these seem a tad bigger. So, if you're in between sizes then order down.
[/quote]

This is exactly what I noticed too. I also seemed to notice it more in the DynaGrip Elite. Not sure why though. maybe they have a larger tolerance in the production, or the thinner material would stretch more, and stretch faster...... I don't know

I also thought about going down in size as well. I guess what's keeping me from doing it is that it'd be to small. And being to small could put to much pull on the Velcro and make it separate during the swing (I'm only thinking that because it sounds like a few people had Velcro problems)

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s