What's with the PXG craze?

roadtrippin4550

Oh God! Here we go with the MacLaren v. Pinto references. Is that you, Todd? Still wearing that John Hardy thumbring?

BSG all over again...

You are missing the point. What I am saying is to maybe make it more acceptable is like buying a MacLaren Le versus a Maclaren XLE

One might have spit out gold flakes who cares. They do the same thing. Like anything in life if you want it then you buy it. PXG is not about having enough money to buy it. Some make it sound like they are selling gold bars. Thought I can putt the same with a 15 dollar putter from sport authority when spending $300 hundred on one just made my putts feel that much better.

I would argue that it is you and all the veblan good douchebags in this thread that are missing the point. Part of why people are willing to spend on Miura, Vega, or any exotic forging company that you wish to enter is not simply based on cost. The performance has to be there or the buttery soft feel when you pure one. These use an elastomer damper that is going to kill that feel. For some people, that feel is important.

Perhaps you remember the Callaway Hawkeye Tungsten-Titanium irons? Not a big hit on sites like this. They were engineered for forgiveness (I'm sure at least the size of Texas) and were generally looked upon as clubs for rich Japanese men that didn't know better, and hacks. Yet this club comes along with the same premise and is the greatest thing since sliced bread? Why? Because they PAID enough to get them on Tour?

I suggest for all the PXG strokefest guys that you go and read Tai's review and his comments on the irons. It speaks that he likes the forgiveness on his less than perfectly executed shots. That is a good thing for his scores. But he also notes that shots that he knows he buttered were not necessarily doing what he wanted as accurately as his forged blades. There is a cost to deviating from a pure forging. But he has also stated that feel is less important to him. So it's a worthy tradeoff for him.

There is a compromise in every set of irons made. Yet you act like these are the ultimate. You have either never pured a forged blade in your life, or you don't understand the feeling of nothing. That little feedback that you get when you mishit your irons is why people say blades are the ultimate game improvement irons. You will either learn to hit them, or they will reach out and sting you.

But to sit here and act like this is a lifestyle choice and that people aren't buying simply because they can't afford it is laughable. People aren't buying the bullsh!t any more than they bought lime green to ensure they weren't leaving yards on the table. If you want to buy these and they will make you happy, good for you. (Seriously, GFY. Good...For...You.) But understand that there is legitimate criticism to these irons, not the least of which is the offset and the lofts. If you want to discard all criticism and simply label people as jealous haters, you are just being a douchebag fanboy.

And you really aren't living until you play the PXG irons with the little "L" inside every screw.........or is it you got screwed if you payed for the little "L"? :dntknw:

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the looks of the PXG irons but just simply can't afford or get past the price of the irons

TM M1 with Matrix 7M3 Black Tie X Flex
TM RBZ Double Tour Stamped 13* 3 WOOD

Mizuno MP33 (custom black) w/ KBS black C-Taper 130x
TM Tour Preferred ATV 51* w/ KBS custom X white shaft
TM Tour Preferred ATV 57* w/ KBS custom X white shaft
TM Tour Preferred ATV 63* w/ KBS C-Taper X Flex
32.75" Ping Sigma Kushin C

Back-ups

TM Tour Preferred MB 4-PW Tour X100 X Flex

this is once again a gimmick and will fade sooner than you think.....

You've made your point about 10'x over in this thread... I think we get it.

bah

All the same most times alot of noise

SORRY. Did not mean to provoke your anger (and yes your post was angry) http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/08/jack-nicklaus-long-drive-pga-championship-louis-oosthuizen-bubba-watson. Yah pal, I work in the ski industry 20+ years pro skier and company rep (more than one over my time). Most times it is BS and marketing.According to Taylor Made we should all be hitting from the first tee to the 18th green. After all haven't they promised 20 yards further and straighter every 6 months for a number of years? Believe? Buy? Do the math. There are only so many iterations of a garden hoe. The quality of the tomatoes is due to the gardener, by the way, NOT the hoe. Sorry to have put a hair across.

So am I going to have to be the one to ask the obvious elephant in the room (pun intended) question that all non PXG owners are secretly wondering?

***disclaimer, I am not advocating anything that could lead to bodily harm** BUT

Have any PXG owners here, gamed their PXG irons while also snapping into a slim Jim and washing down said slim Jim with an icy cold Mountain Dew beverage for in round nourishment? If so, would one need to Have the body and PED diet of a professional wrestler to handle the MAX XTREME iron shots without breaking and arm or ripping tendons while flushing pin seeking bombs? Or Are the PXG irons so forgiving that a weekend warrior could handle such a situation without HGH?

One more question. Has anyone (other than bob parsons of course) ever even thought about snapping into a slim Jim, shotgunning a Mountain Dew, then jumping out of a plane with a snowboard on their feet and a PXG 2 iron (do they make those?) and a new PXG ball and parachute and while descending over the Serengeti (after doing mad flips and sick tricks obviously) throw up the ball and flush nut a 2 iron laser right between the eyes of a majestic elephant, and sending it striaght to elephant hell? Because that would be f$&king XTREME as f$&k.

our club is one of the few in Canada that is offering them ,

have not hit them yet but put a few in my hands and their huge heads and obvious ping vibe combined with the price tag turn me off a bit.

That said when I hit them I can give more of a review of the important characteristics like how they hit the ball .

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

our club is one of the few in Canada that is offering them ,

have not hit them yet but put a few in my hands and their huge heads and obvious ping vibe combined with the price tag turn me off a bit.

That said when I hit them I can give more of a review of the important characteristics like how they hit the ball .

Try the 0311T.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

The more I do think about it, cost is a big thing when claiming something as new technology. Even when Callaway and their titanium drivers came out 20 years ago, the cost was about $399 if I am not mistaken and people were eating them up as quick as we could get them in our golf shop. Even now with the advent of face slot technology that say Taylormade and others have put out there, they did not increase their price point up to 3x. So when one says that a set like Pxg offers a set at $3000+ dollars for the irons, there is a bit of hesitation on my part. To say buttery feel is such a subjective feel and that is 1 determinant to buying a set. I love the look of the Pxg irons especially the extreme dark but playing this game long enough, I know what's going to improve my game and what's not. As many a club hoe I notice on this site, easier to take a loss on a n $800 dollar set versus one you sank $3000 grand into. Maybe one day I will be over come with my curiosity as to go get fitted for a set. For me it's all in with my bag so I would not just be getting fitted for irons but my woods, wedges and putter. Now my 10 year anniversary is coming up so could be an opportune time to bring this up to my cosponsor (wife) and get this ball rolling. Until then, I gonna have to be content with trying to shooting my potential with the sticks I have now.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

If I knew they had 4 yrs between irons, I'd be more interested. Because knowing me, I'd jump at new bling. That's why I've owned Edel irons for 2+ years. I know nothing new is coming ... lol. That's why Apex CF 16 is appealing - nice iron, not PXG or Miura expensive but definitely getting up there by the time you get an excellent shaft and have a custom clubmaker build it.. on second thought, maybe the PXG is not that much more...lol.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

If I knew they had 4 yrs between irons, I'd be more interested. Because knowing me, I'd jump at new bling. That's why I've owned Edel irons for 2+ years. I know nothing new is coming ... lol. That's why Apex CF 16 is appealing - nice iron, not PXG or Miura expensive but definitely getting up there by the time you get an excellent shaft and have a custom clubmaker build it.. on second thought, maybe the PXG is not that much more...lol.

My clubmaker quoted me $85 more an iron for PXG 0311 over the Callaway Apex CF16 (same shaft, same grip, same specs, etc...).

I used to play Epon 502 irons which had thermo plastic filling of some kind or other. It definitely makes for a different feel.

I looked at the PXG clubs the other day and although I really thought I'd like the look from photos, in the metal I found them quite a bit bigger than I'd thought, even the tour version is quite thick across the top at address.

That said, I do think all the technologies at play in these make sense so if you like the look I'm sure they can can be great irons

I hit these bad boys today.

My instructor had a PXG 0311 and 0311T 7 iron on hand, as well as the hybrid, fairways, and driver.

The shafts were not my fit -- Nippon 990 S, and Aerotech i95 R -- I am officially not young and am going to get fit for 80g graphite shafts, and will try an 82-86g - Mitsubishi OT 75 and 85 graphite. Still, the 0311's were easy to launch with a very soft, solid feel, and great sound.

Looks of 0311? Like a Ping at address. No surpise there. Looks clean at address, simple - I think that was the intent. Not intimidating.

I've heard unflattering comments, but to me they were not "clunky" at all - looked like a higher toe than my Edel CBs, about the same heel to toe (longer than Apex CF16), but the sole is thicker than the Edel. I'd call it medium, and the trailing edge is relieved, and the irons have plenty of bounce. Easier to hit than my gamers.

The 0311T is the iron we wish we could play - very very nice. But I need the iron that loves me on a bad day. All the LPGA Staff play the 0311; all the men play the 0311T, except for an 0311 3 iron.

Is it worth $300=400+ per iron? Worth is relative to the individual. If you play them 5 years, that may work for you, if one can stop the ho'ing.

Hit the 22 Hybrid - had a Rogue 80 R Flex. Not my shaft, but it went about 195 with the wrong shaft, more of a mid flight because I need a higher launching shaft. Nice looking hybrid - almost like a cleaner and slimmer Callaway XR, but with better feel. The sole is slightly rounded.

I preferred the PXG Hybrid over the Ping G - the PXG sound was more solid and I preferred its design -- the G has a flat sole - did not enjoy that aspect.

I thought the PXG Hybrid, for the 10 shots I took, was fairly easy to hit for a 22H with the wrong shaft.

Going to Massachusetts to my iron fitter at the end of the month -- we'll see what he has in shafts and look at the numbers compared to my gamer.

I can't tell you if there's magic in the 0311 irons yet. When I get my gamers on the same launch monitor with the 0311's, I'll let y'all know.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

• 2 months later...

My clubmaker quoted me $85 more an iron for PXG 0311 over the Callaway Apex CF16 (same shaft, same grip, same specs, etc...).

What did you get?

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

What did you get?

Ended up trying out the PXG in 7-Gap. Gap is nothing special, but the 7-PW are testing out well. Ordering the 6i soon.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

What did you get?

Ended up trying out the PXG in 7-Gap. Gap is nothing special, but the 7-PW are testing out well. Ordering the 6i soon.

I am actually surprised that the G did not work well for you. Most of the time I found the G gives a nice gapping for the whole set. Did you put the same shaft in the G as the rest of your iron?

What did you get?

I am actually surprised that the G did not work well for you. Most of the time I found the G gives a nice gapping for the whole set. Did you put the same shaft in the G as the rest of your iron?

Same shaft. The G works, but it is not a club longer than my Edel, which shaft is 30g heavier than the PXG Gap. Still working on it, may be 4-5 yrds longer - will post something after more time with the clubs. Think I may just prefer a more direct feel in 50-60. The PXG is pretty numb, which is great for the body. At the same time, I use the Gap for full shots, and the SW and LW for all types of shots, so I do not mind an indirect feel in the Gap.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

this is once again a gimmick and will fade sooner than you think.....

You've made your point about 10'x over in this thread... I think we get it.

bah

All the same most times alot of noise

SORRY. Did not mean to provoke your anger (and yes your post was angry) http://ftw.usatoday....n-bubba-watson. Yah pal, I work in the ski industry 20+ years pro skier and company rep (more than one over my time). Most times it is BS and marketing.According to Taylor Made we should all be hitting from the first tee to the 18th green. After all haven't they promised 20 yards further and straighter every 6 months for a number of years? Believe? Buy? Do the math. There are only so many iterations of a garden hoe. The quality of the tomatoes is due to the gardener, by the way, NOT the hoe. Sorry to have put a hair across.

]

No actually they haven't promised anything close to that. They mentioned 17 yards with the slot fairway woods came out and many here experienced gains of that or more

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

can one golf company actually think that there equipment is worth that much more money then the next? you can only do so much with an iron and a driver. i believe we are maxed out already arent we?

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

can one golf company actually think that there equipment is worth that much more money then the next? you can only do so much with an iron and a driver. i believe we are maxed out already arent we?

IF clubs are maxed out, then no need for new versions.. shut down the OEMs and call it a day.

So no, club design is not maxed out.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

IF clubs are maxed out, then no need for new versions.. shut down the OEMs and call it a day.

Clubs are mainly a fashion statement. Yes the tech is get slightly better. But no it really isn't enough to change your game. Buy new irons every 4 or 5 years and enjoy golf.

What is amazing people worry about the minor price blip of PXG. It isn't like these are 10k clubs or anything. You are spending about 2x or so what titleist and the rest would charge. Not really a noticeable amount of money over 4 or 5 years (i.e. reasonable life span for irons) for most people who play golf on a regular basis.

club design is maxed out based upon 460cc driver heads, .830 COR, etc

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Clubs are mainly a fashion statement. Yes the tech is get slightly better. But no it really isn't enough to change your game. Buy new irons every 4 or 5 years and enjoy golf.

What is amazing people worry about the minor price blip of PXG. It isn't like these are 10k clubs or anything. You are spending about 2x or so what titleist and the rest would charge. Not really a noticeable amount of money over 4 or 5 years (i.e. reasonable life span for irons) for most people who play golf on a regular basis.

Gosh, and I bought mine for performance ... lol.

I've gotten more performance, still calibrating how much on the course, softer feel, and I keep them hidden with a towel so no one knows I have them. They offer confidence at address.

I only purchased the PXG irons that I use to keep the cost down, may add the 6i, and plan on keeping them 5 years.

As to the weights, a clubmaker can adjust, as needed. My guy has weights locally made to make sure every iron is to spec.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

But it isn't maxed out for things like spin, aerodynamics, MOI, the size of that .830 COR spot, and so on. Especially when looking at averages (i.e. 20 shots) instead of the best shot those improvements add up. How much better is hard to say. We can check back in 20 years to see if the 460cc/.830 drivers of 2036 go 20 yards farther than the ones of 2016.

But it isn't maxed out for things like spin, aerodynamics, MOI, the size of that .830 COR spot, and so on. Especially when looking at averages (i.e. 20 shots) instead of the best shot those improvements add up. How much better is hard to say. We can check back in 20 years to see if the 460cc/.830 drivers of 2036 go 20 yards farther than the ones of 2016.

The question is: is it the head design, the shaft technology or the ball that gives you more distance in 20 years? given the rules and regulations stands the same...

The question is: is it the head design, the shaft technology or the ball that gives you more distance in 20 years? given the rules and regulations stands the same...

Trick question.

It's all of the above.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x