What's with the PXG craze?

roadtrippin4550

So I just went and tried out some of the new PXG irons and Driver and I don't get why people are going crazy over this stuff? I really like the look, and I want to like them but they just didn't do it for me. They were inconsistent, didn't feel like anything special, and I found myself looking for the next club to try rather quickly.

I think the craze is generated all around the marketing and I feel like people are buying them just to say they have them and not because they are the best thing out there?

Am I the crazy one here or one of the few sane ones left?

Thoughts?

Titleist TS3 9.5* - Tour AD-GP 7X

Callaway X2 Hot Pro 15* - UST VTS Black 8X

Adams Pro Mini 21* - SteelFiber 110X

Bridgestone Golf J40 CB (4-PW) - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Vokey SM8 50F - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 56 - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 60 - Tour Issue X100

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 1.5

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're perfectly sane. Hideously overpriced stuff, with tour results that are underwhelming at best.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Here are some results from Carl's testing. Now just what is one expecting from these irons?

More consistency; more accuracy; more distance? They are very fine and well made irons, but lets not expect miracles!

Well perhaps not...........maybe it's the looks or the feel of them. Then you will pay up for just that and that's it.

That said these irons certainly have the "buzz" on them and they will sought by some just to impress your foursome friends.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

All the screws/weights is a good idea. May not be the best looking to many but highly customizable.

It is a nice idea, but most of the club fitters that offer PXG do not have the option to even move the weights around.

Here are some results from Carl's testing. Now just what is one expecting from these irons?

More consistency; more accuracy; more distance? They are very fine and well made irons, but lets not expect miracles!

Well perhaps not...........

Number 1 thing in irons for me is consistency. More than anything I was expecting to hit these and understand why they are priced the way they are. I was expecting maybe a few extra yards due to nothing more than a little extra ball speed, as that is what this club is designed to create more than anything. In all honesty even without the price I wouldn't game these, and I know that to each there own but the with the buzz circling around these I think I was expecting miracles...

Titleist TS3 9.5* - Tour AD-GP 7X

Callaway X2 Hot Pro 15* - UST VTS Black 8X

Adams Pro Mini 21* - SteelFiber 110X

Bridgestone Golf J40 CB (4-PW) - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Vokey SM8 50F - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 56 - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 60 - Tour Issue X100

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 1.5

I guess I am part of the craze. I hit the PXG irons on multiple occasions and they beat everything else that I hit including my regular gamers. I ended up with the 0311T's which had a better dispersion and distance gain. I was not at all impressed with their driver, fairway woods or hybrids. Granted, they are not for everyone. Then again, nothing is. But, they work for me.

I'm currently gaming 0311's and love them. With the PXG's I'm easily a club longer and more consistent. They are forgiving on miss-hits in terms of distance and direction. The 0311's beat out my Ping s55's and i25 iron sets.

Good looks, great feel, longer and more forgiving. Yes, the Ducks Nuts!

That seals it. Ive been in search of the ducks nuts for some time now.

Well perhaps not...........maybe it's the looks or the feel of them. Then you will pay up for just that and that's it.

That said these irons certainly have the "buzz" on them and they will sought by some just to impress your foursome friends.

Did you buy the CF16s? Long and consistent!

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

I was fitted today for the 0311Ts and they are the "ducks nuts"!!! Very solid irons, gave me the best numbers in terms of spin, launch, ball speeds, and feels great.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

According to a friend who is a clubmaker, he is getting his clients a club longer or more with properly fit PXG irons. The key is properly fit.

If you are fitting yourself, save your money.

If interested, run to a PXG dealer.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

What craze I have still never seen a set in person and I play a lot of golf. I'd also say the sentiment on this board is pretty negative on the clubs in general...

That's interesting. I've probably seen 8-10 full bags over the past month and the reviews have been stellar - and not just by the people who bought them. People I've talked to who've demo'd them but not ordered have been impressed as well.

I look at PSI tours on eBay every time you post this.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Today is 3-11 and that was my favorite band in the 90's! Lol I cannot wait to try the 0311 Blades and if I find them in lefty. Want to compair to my Miura and understand how PXG cost soo much more. That GoDaddy.com guy must know something because the buzz is being heard everywhere.

Seen a set on ebay listed and the seller said something like "Best feeling irons I ever hit but just didn't work for me." I thought that was funny! Feel is big to me and not soo much added distance.

TM M5 10.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X
Ping Stretch 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7X
Ping 410H 19* with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X
Miura Bades 4-PW
Miura Wedges 51,55,59
Callaway PM 64
BB2  or one of my T.P. Mills handmade 

I think it's great we have a new brand on tour and in stores. Mixes things up a little and creates more competition. Competition is ALWAYS a good thing for the consumer.

The only downside to PXG is they are trying to isolate themselves from their competition with branding and pricing. They're saying they're nothing like every other golf club out there. Which in my experience, is impossible. Pretty much every club made today is made withing 5% of it's nearest competitor....so it's hard to justify the price difference. I think guys are excited to have a new brand. And the price they pay only makes them "buy into" the brand even more.

I actually like the look of the irons, but the price (especially with the CDN conversations now)...it's too much. I had considered a custom ironset once from scratch, so 2500$ isn't necessarily a total deal breaker, but I'd have to be in love with them

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I actually like the look of the irons, but the price (especially with the CDN conversations now)...it's too much. I had considered a custom ironset once from scratch, so 2500$ isn't necessarily a total deal breaker, but I'd have to be in love with them

The cool thing with going that route if you had would be they would stand the test of time much better, they are custom and exactly what you want. PXG will have a new 2500 set of irons out within a year that will be marketed as better than the last, and so on every year.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

What craze I have still never seen a set in person and I play a lot of golf. I'd also say the sentiment on this board is pretty negative on the clubs in general...

That's interesting. I've probably seen 8-10 full bags over the past month and the reviews have been stellar - and not just by the people who bought them. People I've talked to who've demo'd them but not ordered have been impressed as well.

Ya the Vitriol for PXG can be pretty darn high on the forum, but very little of it seems to have to do with the irons themselves (well OK some no-screws folks aside).

Assuming PXG release a Boxster equivalent in the future, maybe some opinions will change...hmm... actually that could just make things worse, ha.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

anything new is a craze... and old stuff too... people still call Scotty Cameron a 'craze' or a fad.

Like anything in golf, it is personal. I didn't 'get' PXG' at all. I scoffed at it, said it was ugly. Then I took the leap and wow... I was sold. Was it a waste of money?? Not to me but yes it was expensive... but I used to waste thousands a year on booze and broads, yet I can't sell those things on the secondary market (legally anyway)..... I don't claim that these new irons will make me a scratch player... just as I don't claim a $3,000 CT will make me a better putter.

People will hem and haw and call people a poseur or whatever but I like to tinker. I don't care what people snicker about in front of me or behind my back. What people don't get is that their opinions mean bull excrement to people.... yet we love to dog on people and we think that our opinions are facts.

Marketing has been great for PXG and with the limits on being able to access them they are even more coveted.

Most of the time, people who really dog on expensive items can't buy that item or their wives won't let them. I am sure if they were transparent about their lives and what they spent money on people could scoff at them too.

I hope these 0311's will stay in my bag for years to come as I am really trying to spay my buying. I seem to do well in the spring and summer but come winter I tinker tinker tinker. I know that tinkering is what's contributing to the stagnation of my handicap and my growth as a player.

diatribe over.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

I'm currently gaming 0311's and love them. With the PXG's I'm easily a club longer and more consistent. They are forgiving on miss-hits in terms of distance and direction. The 0311's beat out my Ping s55's and i25 iron sets.

I have hit the 7 iron and thought it was very solid. I wasn't sold when looking at the 4 iron, I thought it had too much offset. What did you think about the amount of offset in the long irons, and how easy has it been to transition.

I have hit the 7 iron and thought it was very solid. I wasn't sold when looking at the 4 iron, I thought it had too much offset. What did you think about the amount of offset in the long irons, and how easy has it been to transition.

If you look at the 0311T model, they have much less offset than the 0311.....

Offset:

Iron............Titleist MB........0311T

4.................0.122"..............0.130"

7.................0.098"..............0.076"

P.................0.075"..............0.020"

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

If you look at the 0311T model, they have much less offset than the 0311.....

Offset:

Iron............Titleist MB........0311T

4.................0.122"..............0.130"

7.................0.098"..............0.076"

P.................0.075"..............0.020"

I knew that, I hit them both. Just wasn't sure if the t's were the best fit for me. My scratch ar1's were much more forgiving. The regular 0311 could work though.