What's with the PXG craze?

roadtrippin4550

WRXers are aware, but 95% of every weekend player that walks into Golfsmith have never heard of PXG.

Agreed!!

My analogy of Benz vs. XPG was from the standpoint that both are products that even if most wanted them, they can't afford them~

I'm guessing but I betcha that number is higher than 95%, lol

Have a nice weekend Bro :)

My Best,

RP

So true Brocedes!

And when I say I drive older Bimmer...it's a 1980. I'm cheap. I wasn't always cheap, I used to blow money on cars and golf stuff, but then I realized, none of it made any difference in any way.

Agree Again, lol

I haven't bout a new vehicle since that first one that that IBM pr*** made me buy, lol

Talk about a depreciating asset, lmao

But damn, they're purdy :)

Stay Well My Friend!!

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got to hit the pxg 6 iron today. I was hoping they were the t model but they werent. In all honestly its a really great feeling and looking iron. Feel was a bit more hollow clicky feeling than i was expecting. For those who have hit the regular and tours was there any difference in feel? My instructor is on staff with pxg and has the black darkness set on their way. Ill try those as well and report back on differences as well as finish durability.

You're perfectly sane. Hideously overpriced stuff, with tour results that are underwhelming at best.

Ryan Moore is 3 off the lead right now

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Here are some results from Carl's testing. Now just what is one expecting from these irons?

More consistency; more accuracy; more distance? They are very fine and well made irons, but lets not expect miracles!

Well perhaps not...........maybe it's the looks or the feel of them. Then you will pay up for just that and that's it.

That said these irons certainly have the "buzz" on them and they will sought by some just to impress your foursome friends.

Did you hit them against your gamers and did you bring home the Callaway's?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

So Superb Marketing, lots of R & D budget and a Huge Splash and Tour Staff sign up,

and it;s owner by someone who Loves Golf.

How can that be bad news for the Industry!

Exit Adams, enter PXG.

I;m in sales. Love to pay more ! Never bought a Lada, Loved my Lexus when i was richer in the past!

On WRX we encourage ALL to Get Fit for Clubs! Seems thats what PXG do. Worked for Ping !

No one wants a Cheap Anser 2, they cost a lot, you get a Lot, I think !!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

So Superb Marketing, lots of R & D budget and a Huge Splash and Tour Staff sign up,

and it;s owner by someone who Loves Golf.

How can that be bad news for the Industry!

Exit Adams, enter PXG.

I;m in sales. Love to pay more ! Never bought a Lada, Loved my Lexus when i was richer in the past!

On WRX we encourage ALL to Get Fit for Clubs! Seems thats what PXG do. Worked for Ping !

No one wants a Cheap Anser 2, they cost a lot, you get a Lot, I think !!

Translation please. English is my second language

There is no craze. This is 100% marketing. It's just re-badged Pings at thrice the price.

If you aren't sure about the marketing side, this is a guy that got a domain registrar talked about in Congress for getting lesbian-friendly models and race car drivers to wear bikinis in Super Bowl ads. That IS Bob Parsons' business acumen; he's a marketer with no shame.

Personally, I'm glad for one thing. If Bob is playing golf, he's not hunting elephants. Hunt pins all you want, Bob. Leave the lions and elephants alone.

Was it not a legal elephant hunt? It even fed an entire village of people in Zimbabwe. It's no worse than a dear hunter sitting in front of an automatic feeder waiting to kill a dear. Besides, we are talking about golf clubs? And these clubs are pretty amazing in their own right and cannot do anything but good for the game by making other manufacturers produce better equipment. Just my opinion.....I am more a fan of these irons than PETA

Shame on you for condoning the hunting and killing of elephants.

Craze? lol

Until PXG is available at Golfsmith and Dick's, he's no marketing genius. Higher end cars like Mercedes and BMW dealerships are everywhere.

WRXers are aware, but 95% of weekend players that walk into Golfsmith have never heard of PXG.

I drive an older BMW and I'm lovin' my $79 Tommy Armour 845s!

Not sure if this is facetious; anyone who watches golf has seen the PXG logo and probably heard the company mentioned. Either way...

Presumably, given the price of PXG's line, they do not see 95% of weekend Golfsmith-shopping players as their target audience. The concept seems to be sold alongside Epon, Miura, etc. High-end, custom fit and built in-shop.

The high-end clubfitter in my area (a hub store that builds for their small chain) has had multiple sets of PXGs on the assembly line every time I've been in there since last summer.

This is where people who look for this kind of gear go. At Golfsmith, they would likely collect dust (and/or heavy shop wear) at 95% of locations.

It amazes me that everyone buys so heavily into the house of cards we call the modern economy;

you do not need to sell a million of something to make a profit. You don't need to crush all competition or be the #1 seller to be viable and successful - "successful" according to traditional rather than 2016 standards.

While PXG-Daddy doesn't need to make a profit, they seem to be looking to balance a higher price with a luxury price point - fewer sales, presumably higher margin.

Bob also has committed half his fortune to charity, so he's perhaps at a point where he doesn't feel the need to make a ton more.

My post was concerning the topic of the thread. I don't believe there is a a "PXG Craze". I agree, it's a boutique company, not for the mass market.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

There is no craze. This is 100% marketing. It's just re-badged Pings at thrice the price.

If you aren't sure about the marketing side, this is a guy that got a domain registrar talked about in Congress for getting lesbian-friendly models and race car drivers to wear bikinis in Super Bowl ads. That IS Bob Parsons' business acumen; he's a marketer with no shame.

Personally, I'm glad for one thing. If Bob is playing golf, he's not hunting elephants. Hunt pins all you want, Bob. Leave the lions and elephants alone.

Was it not a legal elephant hunt? It even fed an entire village of people in Zimbabwe. It's no worse than a dear hunter sitting in front of an automatic feeder waiting to kill a dear. Besides, we are talking about golf clubs? And these clubs are pretty amazing in their own right and cannot do anything but good for the game by making other manufacturers produce better equipment. Just my opinion.....I am more a fan of these irons than PETA

One should never kill anyone who is dear to them. :taunt:

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Here are some results from Carl's testing. Now just what is one expecting from these irons?

More consistency; more accuracy; more distance? They are very fine and well made irons, but lets not expect miracles!

Well perhaps not...........maybe it's the looks or the feel of them. Then you will pay up for just that and that's it.

That said these irons certainly have the "buzz" on them and they will sought by some just to impress your foursome friends.

Those irons were tried by a +2 at Carls shop; I did not hit them.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

• 3 weeks later...

I think that graphic might be getting over used a bit, I'm sure the +2 was an employee and they want to sell clubs...

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I think that graphic might be getting over used a bit, I'm sure the +2 was an employee and they want to sell clubs...

As for the dispersion patterns from an alleged +2, I do not find the results overly impressive, especially from the Parson's "T" model ringed in white.

As for the dispersion patterns from an alleged +2, I do not find the results overly impressive, especially from the Parson's "T" model ringed in white.

I thought that was odd, too. Bad shaft fit?

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

That was my guess but even so, a +2 could adjust pretty quickly and I doubt a +2 would try one with such an ill matched shaft.

My post was concerning the topic of the thread. I don't believe there is a a "PXG Craze". I agree, it's a boutique company, not for the mass market.

I was assuming the unwritten "Craze (on Golfwrx)". I agree, of course, certainly no "craze" beyond wrx and the few high-end clubfitters who carry them.

We may agree to differ on "marketing genius" - perhaps not "mass-marketing genius", but doing a great job of appealing to the high-end golfer - niche though it is - can still be considered genius.

I have seen multiple sets of PXGs (including wedges, woods and hybrids), being built every time I've been in my local fitter's.

They old need sell a few hundred sets for a million dollars in sales. And I'm sure they already have.

I think boutique is the future of successful business. Mega-corps have proven to be unstable at best. Such a fate would be best for everyone in the world except a handful of billionaires.

Making things cost 3x more than the status quo isn't genius - anyone can do it and everyone who tries fails.

Your local fitter is NOT selling multiple sets unless you live in 90210 or Dubai :

hunks of metal on the end of longer skinnier hunks of metal are going to all be pretty much the same except for lipstick and price

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

So I just went and tried out some of the new PXG irons and Driver and I don't get why people are going crazy over this stuff? I really like the look, and I want to like them but they just didn't do it for me. They were inconsistent, didn't feel like anything special, and I found myself looking for the next club to try rather quickly.

I think the craze is generated all around the marketing and I feel like people are buying them just to say they have them and not because they are the best thing out there?

Am I the crazy one here or one of the few sane ones left?

Thoughts?

there is no craze and nothing to get excited about

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

I have the 8, 9, P in XTREME Dark coming to try out. If they meet my expectations then I will get the 3 - 7 was well.

The CRAZE lives!

:golfer:

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I was assuming the unwritten "Craze (on Golfwrx)". I agree, of course, certainly no "craze" beyond wrx and the few high-end clubfitters who carry them.

We may agree to differ on "marketing genius" - perhaps not "mass-marketing genius", but doing a great job of appealing to the high-end golfer - niche though it is - can still be considered genius.

I have seen multiple sets of PXGs (including wedges, woods and hybrids), being built every time I've been in my local fitter's.

They old need sell a few hundred sets for a million dollars in sales. And I'm sure they already have.

I think boutique is the future of successful business. Mega-corps have proven to be unstable at best. Such a fate would be best for everyone in the world except a handful of billionaires.

Making things cost 3x more than the status quo isn't genius - anyone can do it and everyone who tries fails.

Your local fitter is NOT selling multiple sets unless you live in 90210 or Dubai :

hunks of metal on the end of longer skinnier hunks of metal are going to all be pretty much the same except for lipstick and price

If that was the case, why doesn't everyone play the Callaway X series at $37.50 per iron instead of the Callaway CF16 Apex at $150 per iron or the Callaway XR OS at $100 per iron?

Price differentiation occurs at all levels. It's not like PXG is one price and all other OEMs are the same price. It just so happens that PXG is at the top of the price curve.

If that was the case, why doesn't everyone play the Callaway X series at $37.50 per iron instead of the Callaway CF16 Apex at $150 per iron or the Callaway XR OS at $100 per iron?

Price differentiation occurs at all levels. It's not like PXG is one price and all other OEMs are the same price. It just so happens that PXG is at the top of the price curve.

That would be the lipstick portion of our story

irons aren't any different than they were 15 years ago they just have different cosmetics

I just got some z745's and they really don't do anything differently than my rac lt's - except perception that they are somehow better (they aren't) :)

TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

Any chance the 0311T irons don't have ridiculous offset on them?

Not that it would matter. I have an issue with any high dollar club that won't spend the money on an extra vowel. But PEG doesn't have the ring to it, I guess.

Xtreme = Douchiness

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I was able to hit a 7 iron 0311T at Carls Golfland with my same Modul 3 120 staft that I play. The topline and bottom of the iron are wider than a players club typically is and yes some offset. The feel was great but more of a Titleist AP2 than a muscle back blade. I could work the ball the same and it went higher than my Miura blades. The 0311 (non T) was even widder on the bottom like a G30 iron (game improvment club). $300/ club is a premium for PXG irons when AP2 ($185/club) and Miura ($240/club) are compaired.

It did go as far as my 6 iron but the 7 is 2* stronger than my Miura set.

TM M5 10.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X
Ping Stretch 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7X
Ping 410H 19* with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X
Miura Bades 4-PW
Miura Wedges 51,55,59
Callaway PM 64
BB2  or one of my T.P. Mills handmade 

The 0311T Players iron is very similar to the Ping S55...see photos below.

Why? The soles & topline heft are justified since their is a cavity in both irons.

No they are not pure blades but are designed to perform like a blade with forgiveness.

The PXG irons are covered on the back while the Ping is of the open cavity design.

If you asked PXG how is it any better than the S55, they would reply...more consistency

across the face with the elastomer filler.

The Titleist T-MB is very similar to the PXG irons in style with a covered cavity. It does

not have a polymer inside the cavity that supports the face and as a result must rely on

a thicker face, which is noticed by a firmer/harder feel on impact.

Both the PXG irons and Titleist T-MB are like a cross between a blade and cavity irons.

And again the idea is to have the look of a blade with the forgiveness of a cavity.

Both of these irons are higher priced.

http://www.golfwrx.c...rons-pxg-0311t/

Worked for Ping.

Yep, I'm just lying. Why? That's what I do for fun. It's a tradition like no other.

Why hang out on what it largely golf club site, then?

Pings were never 3X the price of anything even going back to the early 1970s.