What's with the PXG craze?

roadtrippin4550

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's still a whole lot of leaning on those irons. I'd be much happier if those blades were straight up and down. Too much offset, still.

there is actually less offset in the 0311t's than titleist 716 mb's from 5-pw I believe...the 3 and 4 have just a tad more

I would not say that Titleist blades are anywhere near zero offset.

Once you have played a set of irons that has zero offset, you will understand why it's important.

I didn't think that any manufacturer made irons with zero offset.

That I don't agree with. I'm sure they weren't unhappy, but I bet other clubs fit just as well. If these were only slightly more expensive that's one thing but these things are way more expensive. But yea it's their money. So I hope they really like them

That depends. For me, the PXG irons outperformed my second choice Callaway Apex irons. The PXGs were $85 more per iron.

More expensive for sure but worth it for me.

That's still a whole lot of leaning on those irons. I'd be much happier if those blades were straight up and down. Too much offset, still.

there is actually less offset in the 0311t's than titleist 716 mb's from 5-pw I believe...the 3 and 4 have just a tad more

Once you have played a set of irons that has zero offset, you will understand why it's important.

That's probably true. These have essentially no offset so when looking at any retail set the offset stands out a lot.

That I don't agree with. I'm sure they weren't unhappy, but I bet other clubs fit just as well. If these were only slightly more expensive that's one thing but these things are way more expensive. But yea it's their money. So I hope they really like them

That depends. For me, the PXG irons outperformed my second choice Callaway Apex irons. The PXGs were $85 more per iron.

..and THAT'S HOW IT'S DONE!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

Received my irons a couple weeks ago but here is a pic.

How do you like them?

Very nice! How do you like them? I also have the 0311t's and they feel much better than the normal 0311's...to me it is a night and day difference. The 0311's almost had a hollow feel to them like the tmb's. But the 0311's have a very solid soft feel, I would say very close to my cb57's...just slightly softer...the cb57's have a more dense solid feel.

So far I like them a lot. Very forgiving and feel great. I came from 716 MBs so these are so much more easy to hit and the turf interaction is really good, it doesn't dig. I didn't try the normal 0311s so I couldnt comment on the feel vs the T models.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

How do you like them?

Very nice! How do you like them? I also have the 0311t's and they feel much better than the normal 0311's...to me it is a night and day difference. The 0311's almost had a hollow feel to them like the tmb's. But the 0311's have a very solid soft feel, I would say very close to my cb57's...just slightly softer...the cb57's have a more dense solid feel.

So far I like them a lot. Very forgiving and feel great. I came from 716 MBs so these are so much more easy to hit and the turf interaction is really good, it doesn't dig. I didn't try the normal 0311s so I couldnt comment on the feel vs the T models.

Great....had the 6-P in both the Titleist mb and the T-MB irons.

Neither felt that great to me, so I have the 0311T coming to try and most all the reviews I have read indicate they are a bit softer.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Here is a comparison of the offset on the 0311t vs tmb irons....

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1241892-pxg-2016-products/page__st__750#entry13333054

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Did the PXG craze kill the Hogan craze! :sorry:

No - reality did

The Hogan noise has been very quiet lately.

Just like this will be in 6 months - It doesn't help that PXG irons make your ball roll off greens into water like Billy Ho's. I bet if he had a different color screw in the 6th position from the toe that wouldn't have happened!

You mean the one that he didn't mark and the wind pushed it off the green into the water while his PXG's were still sitting in his bag? Really? PXG is to blame for that?

you can't detect my sarcasm?

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

I used to play a set of TM R9 "B" irons. They used the term "onset". While there was probably a very slight amount of offset, it sure didn't look like there was any.

I used to play a set of TM R9 "B" irons. They used the term "onset". While there was probably a very slight amount of offset, it sure didn't look like there was any.

You can find them through brands like Miura and (now defunct) Scratch. They are not common offerings. Or go tour issue, you can find them.

Once you go no offset, everything else looks like it's in the next ZIP code.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

The 2014-2015 rapture 3 wood is a great example of a similar club to PXG irons. It was twice as expensive as a normal strong 3 wood. Some people loved it, if it was really 5-10yds better then others consistently over a wide array of testers, more tour players would've used it

No, the Rapture was more of a Mini driver and was never going to replace the Pro's 3 woods. Much bigger than they prefer and barely any of them ever play mini drivers.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

You can find them through brands like Miura and (now defunct) Scratch. They are not common offerings. Or go tour issue, you can find them.

Once you go no offset, everything else looks like it's in the next ZIP code.

Doesn't KZG still make the ZO(Zero Offset) Blades?? Those the the only newer clubs I've seen with Zero Offset.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

i hope those who make any comments on these clubs have actually tried them out..

if not your comments are kinda useless...to me.

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

i hope those who make any comments on these clubs have actually tried them out..

I haven't personally tried herpes but I know I wouldn't like it

I think we can discuss the stuff any way we choose as long as we don't break forum rules. We aren't paid reviewers

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

I think we can discuss the stuff any way we choose as long as we don't break forum rules. We aren't paid reviewers

..another useless post..

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

..another useless post..

Irony

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Titleist 910D3 Tour AD-DI
Titleist 910F 19* Project X
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW KBS Tour-V
Titleist SM5 50*F/54*M/58*K KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Select Newport[/font]

PXG clubs are built by the fitters not PXG.

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

PXG clubs are built by the fitters not PXG.

So they are a high priced component company and trust their high dollar item and reputation to be assembled by people outside if the quality control?

that appears to be the case unless you order directly from them...

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

..another useless post..

Oh now now , didn't you read earlier.......he's the king of sarcasm !

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun

Callaway may not be the best comparison....

Callaway may not be the best comparison....

I also tried irons from Mizuno, Titleist, Ping, and Taylormade. The Callaway Apex and the PXG were the finalists. I hit them head to head, and in the end, PXG won out.

Because they look awesome and perform. I hit them this weekend for the first time and if I had disposable income, I would love to own a set. That being said, I could not justify the purchase so I opted for something else. I was able to get new irons (upgraded Nippon Modus 130x), New M1 and new Vokeys (upgraded Modus 130x) for about 500-600 less than I could have gotten the PXG irons for and performance to me was not that far off. If they had the Al Czervik alignment aid that put every shot in the hole, I am in. They are pretty sick though.