What's with the PXG craze?

roadtrippin4550

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is once again a gimmick and will fade sooner than you think.....

You've made your point about 10'x over in this thread... I think we get it.

He has a fair point, I think it deserves to be repeated. I too don't get this silly craze. Ugliest irons on the market backed with a silly gimmick.

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

He has a fair point, I think it deserves to be repeated. I too don't get this silly craze. Ugliest irons on the market backed with a silly gimmick.

What's the gimmick?

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Anyone remember these? This PXG craze will become the same thing and we'll all be laughing about it in a few years... :)

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

Anyone remember these? This PXG craze will become the same thing and we'll all be laughing about it in a few years... :)

They won a US Open ... and Roger Cleveland deleted other GI features from the retail club.

But you don't want to answer the question. What's the gimmick with PXG or are you just trolling? My guess is you are a troll.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

i cannot understand the folks who say they like the club and then bash it because of it's price point...

indicates some envy for those who can..

i personally have tried it and liked it a lot but just don't have the budget for it now...so i'm saving towards it..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

i cannot understand the folks who say they like the club and then bash it because of it's price point...

i personally have tried it and liked it a lot but just don't have the budget for it now...so i'm saving towards it..

In what world is that envy? That's called being an educated buyer and a golfer who actually realizes it's 99% about the person swinging the club and not the elitist hype. Once again in no way is that a description of envy.

They won a US Open ... and Roger Cleveland deleted other GI features from the retail club.

But you don't want to answer the question. What's the gimmick with PXG or are you just trolling? My guess is you are a troll.

Actually a player won the US Open. He could have won with any number of other clubs as well on that given week.

In what world is that envy? That's called being an educated buyer and a golfer who actually realizes it's 99% about the person swinging the club and not the elitist hype. Once again in no way is that a description of envy.

that's your take on it...

mine is--he can afford it and i can't...

to each his own...

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

Actually a player won the US Open. He could have won with any number of other clubs as well on that given week.

Yes, clubs mean nothing, that's why nobody's here.... lol.

The point of the troll is that these were ridiculous, and so are PXG. I merely pointed out facts -- if you want to be literal, the irons were in the bag when Pavin won a US Open.

But you knew my meaning. You just wanted to be ... difficult.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Haha... I love that term troll. My opinions are views of my own. In no way is it meant to "troll (lol)". If you're offended by my post then I apologize. I didn't think I needed a disclaimer though.

I use the term gimmick because it refers to a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is generally thought to be of little relevance or use. In this case, PXG is just doing what every other company is doing except it's doing it in the most ugly form I have ever seen. If you disagree with this, that's fine. If you think my opinion is labelling me a "troll (lol)" then that is fine too. However, at the end of the day and in a few years, I will put money on it that PXG irons will become one of those "haha, remember those silly bolts all over the irons back in 2016 and people spent ~$3000 on that!! haha funny stuff!" things.

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

Haha... I love that term troll. My opinions are views of my own. In no way is it meant to "troll (lol)". If you're offended by my post then I apologize. I didn't think I needed a disclaimer though.

I use the term gimmick because it refers to a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is generally thought to be of little relevance or use. In this case, PXG is just doing what every other company is doing except it's doing it in the most ugly form I have ever seen. If you disagree with this, that's fine. If you think my opinion is making me a "troll (lol)" then that is fine too. After all, the internet is full of all walks of life but I definitely won't be name calling simply because I don't agree with something, lol

Offended? No. I don't care. But comparing the VAS to PXG ... you were implying something unflattering. I may embarrass myself here, but there are technical aspects to the screws -- I read that it was only meant for the prototype but they decided to leave them. They move the COG towards the center, I believe, and if you place more weight towards the toe, you get more forgiveness if you tend to hit towards the toe. You have a "blade look" with the forgiveness of a CB, and then you've got a super thin face, and to reinforce the face - a thermoplastic material which also enhances feel. Different? Yes. I don't play them. I'd rather hit the Apex CF16 if they are decent off the toe, but lol! the MPF factor on the Apex for toe hits is not high... (another recent thread).

I've been where you've been - about 7 years ago. Don't need to make fun of clubs. It is the low road. If you have tech aspects you do not like, or have a comment after hitting it, that is helpful. What you are doing is not helpful or positve.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Yes, clubs mean nothing, that's why nobody's here.... lol.

The point of the troll is that these were ridiculous, and so are PXG. I merely pointed out facts -- if you want to be literal, the irons were in the bag when Pavin won a US Open.

But you knew my meaning. You just wanted to be ... difficult.

No I wanted to be honest and point out reality which is missing in so many discussions about equipment. It was pretty obvious what the person you were talking to was referring to when it comes to PXG.

I use the term gimmick because it refers to a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is generally thought to be of little relevance or use. In this case, PXG is just doing what every other company is doing except it's doing it in the most ugly form I have ever seen. If you disagree with this, that's fine. If you think my opinion is making me a "troll (lol)" then that is fine too. After all, the internet is full of all walks of life but I definitely won't be name calling simply because I don't agree with something, lol

Offended? No. I don't care. But comparing the VAS to PXG ... you were implying something unflattering. I may embarrass myself here, but there are technical aspects to the screws -- I read that it was only meant for the prototype but they decided to leave them. They move the COG towards the center, I believe, and if you place more weight towards the toe, you get more forgiveness if you tend to hit towards the toe. You have a "blade look" with the forgiveness of a CB, and then you've got a super thin face, and to reinforce the face - a thermoplastic material which also enhances feel. Different? Yes. I don't play them. I'd rather hit the Apex CF16 if they are decent off the toe, but lol! the MPF factor on the Apex for toe hits is not high... (another recent thread).

I've been where you've been - about 7 years ago. Don't need to make fun of clubs. It is the low road. If you have tech aspects you do not like, or have a comment after hitting it, that is helpful. What you are doing is not helpful or positve.

Right. I am not going to rebuttal. Obviously you have your own opinion and that's great. I won't say it's true, false, or imply anything. Whatever you've conjured up from my personal dislike for the irons is your business, not mine. Thanks for your concern though :)

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

instead of tungsten weighting or some other perimeter weighting, parsons inserts screws........then he says he fills the club with "some sort of elastomer"........ya gotta hand it to Parsons though, he is a master of marketing....his go daddy websites stunk too but he sold them with hot women......its like smoke and mirrors....how can you justify a 5k price tag for irons with screws in them? its like his engineers didn't know what to do and one of them said, "we could always use screws"......

PXG 0311 irons are the world’s sexiest, most forgiving golf clubs that launch higher, go farther, feel softer and have a sweet spot the size of Texas. The irons are made with the finest alloys and are manufactured using a costly, sophisticated process that only we would use

that is the marketing of Parsons...nothing proven, just words

Right. I am not going to rebuttal. Obviously you have your own opinion and that's great. I won't say it's true, false, or imply anything. Whatever you've conjured up from my personal dislike for the irons is your business, not mine. Thanks for your concern though :)

At least you were somewhat positive. Thx.

And it's not a concern, but an observation.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

PXG 0311 irons are the world’s sexiest, most forgiving golf clubs that launch higher, go farther, feel softer and have a sweet spot the size of Texas. The irons are made with the finest alloys and are manufactured using a costly, sophisticated process that only we would use

hey!...that's pretty good and may lead many to be curious and give them a try..

and as a marketing person i know that marketing is also about creating a want for something you don't really need....

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

and as a marketing person i know that marketing is also about creating a want for something you don't really need....

That's why its baseless......selling 3 sets a month at each fitter isnt good...seems the marketing isn't really working

That's why its baseless......selling 3 sets a month at each fitter isnt good...seems the marketing isn't really working

....it's callled "niche" marketing....

targets a special group of folks of a specific--and higher--income group and taste..

i guess you're not their target..

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

targets a special group of folks of a specific--and higher--income group and taste..

It's a golf club, not a Ferrari, LOL... Nothing significant has changed in iron head design in over 30 years. Moving the C of G is not new. All just gimmicks to try and pump sales numbers.

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

It's a golf club, not a Ferrari, LOL... Nothing significant has changed in iron head design in over 30 years. Moving the C of G is not new. All just gimmicks to try and pump sales numbers.

it's a PRODUCT with a specific target market...

the fact that you can't appreciate it just proves that you are NOT part of their target market..

nothing wrong with that.....

you belong more to the market of the general golf OEMs whose products are geared towards a more general and hence bigger market...

a mall customer rather than Rodeo Drive or Fifth Avenue.....

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

Why is it that everyone refers to someone selling a line of bullsh!t combined with high prices a "marketing genius?"

First Cameron, now PXG.

Is it because Karsten was an actual genius?

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I see a big uptick in sales for Dick's Top Flite coming.

John

That's a backhanded slap for some reason.....why would you get so upset over this? Im sure you are a very successful at your job and when implement an idea that turns out to be dog S, you blame the economy or something? lol....

what other 100 level business principals do you have in your bag that you assume nobody else in the world understands?

it's a PRODUCT with a specific target market...

the fact that you can't appreciate it just proves that you are NOT part of their target market..

nothing wrong with that.....

you belong more to the market of the general golf OEMs whose products are geared towards a more general and hence bigger market...

a mall customer rather than Rodeo Drive or Fifth Avenue.....

I see your subtleness regarding target market, I can assure you money is not an issue here, my bank account is fine :) That is not the point.

I never had an issue with the money, I have an issue with the looks (my opinion). If they work better for someone then that's awesome but to say they're better than XYZ is simply not true and this whole target audience thing is nonsense too, if you play golf then these irons are targeted at you.

Side note, I don't know why you think you're so well off with this "Fifth Avenue" and "target audience" nonsense. You're a General Manager at a Hotel/Yacht Club, I am glad you have a mediocre job, we all are but get off your high horse, you're not rich. I'll keep the club where you work at in mind next time I am in the area. Perhaps you fill me up with fuel...

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

Just like everything else in golf, if the shoe fits wear it. It might not be your cup of tea and to most due to the price point the benefits dont out weigh the cost. Hopefully I will get a chance to try them out both in a simulator and on the course. Luckily I can use my addiction or dedication to Taylormade clubs as my excuse for holding off. I think I would game them based on looks alone. Pxg is a new company and like most new companies, the marketing is over abundant but not ridiculous in my view. Luckily James Hahn won this past week which was their first Pga Tour victory. Nice looking club but as most clubs, it gets you from Point A to point B.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I wanted some of those ugly f*ck3rs so bad back in 1993! Even the purple badge was sublime. Plus Corey Pavin owned.

That being said, the PXG irons are begrudgingly starting to grow on me, they are completely Mad Max Fury Road death metal in your face but apparently the technology actually works (in it's own different way.) As we all know it is the Go-Daddy guy funding PXG so for sure gonna be "out there" man