What's with the PXG craze?

roadtrippin4550

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zach Johnson now uses these?

https://www.pxg.com/pros

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

My post was concerning the topic of the thread. I don't believe there is a a "PXG Craze". I agree, it's a boutique company, not for the mass market.

I was assuming the unwritten "Craze (on Golfwrx)". I agree, of course, certainly no "craze" beyond wrx and the few high-end clubfitters who carry them.

We may agree to differ on "marketing genius" - perhaps not "mass-marketing genius", but doing a great job of appealing to the high-end golfer - niche though it is - can still be considered genius.

I have seen multiple sets of PXGs (including wedges, woods and hybrids), being built every time I've been in my local fitter's.

They old need sell a few hundred sets for a million dollars in sales. And I'm sure they already have.

I think boutique is the future of successful business. Mega-corps have proven to be unstable at best. Such a fate would be best for everyone in the world except a handful of billionaires.

Making things cost 3x more than the status quo isn't genius - anyone can do it and everyone who tries fails.

Your local fitter is NOT selling multiple sets unless you live in 90210 or Dubai :

hunks of metal on the end of longer skinnier hunks of metal are going to all be pretty much the same except for lipstick and price

Saw another guy hitting his set today and I live in MN 55423 that's 3rd set I've seen. You just underestimated people that love golf.

Titleist TSR2 10 

Titleist 917 F2 5W

Ping 4h 5h

Vega 6-PW
Vega Alcor 50
Titleist SM 8 54
Fourteen RM4 58
Odyssey Eleven Tour Line S 

Some will buy because they enjoy golf equipment, have the disposable income, and want to see what the golfwrx buzz is about. There is nothing wrong with that. Others will buy because they think they can buy a game. They feel like performance is proportional to price. People in the latter category are crazy.

Ping G410 9* Alta CB
Ping G410 15* 3 Wood Alta CB
Ping G410 19* & 22* Hybrid Alta CB
Ping G 5-UW N.S. Pro Modus3 105
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 54*, 58*
Ping Anser Milled 0
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1378338-pkshooter-witb-2016-all-ping/"]WITB Link[/url]

I will try the irons when I visit my clubmaker, but will feel odd if the numbers are too good to turn down as they seem more status symbol than golf club ... hoping the Apex work... it's just that the PXG stand out ... feel as if you better have game.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I like pxg stuff....little pricey for me but so what....it's his money he can do whatever the f he wants.....don't like it? Don't friggen buy it, end of story

Major brands have a pricepoint to meet and that is deciding factor to how far they will develop their clubs, period.....your ignorant if you think otherwise......always comes down to the money.....you want high tolerances and actual performance? Break out your checkbook....will it help your score? No, what club does....if you have money and want Lil better performance it's there for the taking but not gonna turn you into a scratch golfer......you still need skillz, and no one is selling that for any price.....tolerences, and fact that blade style head can be as forgiving as gi club which I have never seen so far....

I mean jeez Titleist and cobra add bit of tungsten and people all of sudden say they are equal to an AP2, LOL......but parsons does something that actually makes a head that is as forgiving as an AP2 and he is an as hole cuz he wants $2400.....well too bad, that's what it costs to do that....

Manufacturers have a limit.... $999-1200 and your not going to get much if your paying same price as last year's clubs...

You want a MB to perform and be as forgiving as an AP2 or better?... $2400, i owned fly z pro and tileist cb wit tungsten and sorry no they are not an AP2, have owned every single friggen club out there and they are minimal at best from year to year.....even AP2 is damn near same as its introduction years ago...

Your local fitter is NOT selling multiple sets unless you live in 90210 or Dubai :

Ummmm, a friend of mine in town who is a teaching professional at a private course (not located in 90210 or Dubai) has personally fit and sold 11 full-bag sets in the past 8 weeks.

Private club changes things a bit from my statement but I'm surprised by that number.

If I thought they made 4x a difference I'd own a set - there isn't any way they do.

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

Ummmm, a friend of mine in town who is a teaching professional at a private course (not located in 90210 or Dubai) has personally fit and sold 11 full-bag sets in the past 8 weeks.

One fitter I know not in Dubai or 90210 has sold close to 3 dozen iron sets...

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

complete honesty here -- i went to get fit by club champion last month with the intention of trying these PXG's out (both the T and regular version 0311 irons). i warmed up with my own club, hit a few others to lock in on a shaft (steelfiber i125cw X flex); and then focus on the club heads themselves. i hit the miura 1957's, s55's, psi tours, MB1's, srixon 745/945's --- then the PXGs.

the only way i could describe the PXGs (feel wise) were that they were an artificial -- soft. when you hit them you knew there was something going on in the head b/c audibly they were quite different than other forged irons without cavitys. They were artificially soft to me, and i knew it just didnt' feel good to me (hard to explain).

on the trackman -- both the 0311 and 0311T irons spun more than what i was fit for (745, 4-PW) -- and honestly the dispersion wasn't great -- nor distances. i don't know what it was about them; probably feel, that made me not like these irons that much, if at all compared to other ones.

my .02.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

To me, the PXG irons design has been done before and is currently being done...they're just using injection molding. Yonex has the Ti-Hybrid MB's where the inner core of the head was cut out and replaced with a lighter weight titanium to lower the CoG and make the club more forgiving. Now Yonex is going away from titanium and inserting graphite inside of the head as well. I think the Titleist tungsten heads are trying to accomplish the same thing...replace some of the steel in the head with something lighter to lower the CoG.

I haven't hit the PXG irons, yet. I would like to. But, I would seriously doubt that I would see different numbers on Trackman or seriously better performance. Doesn't mean that it's not a bad set of irons, but that the irons don't stand out enough to justify the price point.

RH

Private club changes things a bit from my statement but I'm surprised by that number.

If I thought they made 4x a difference I'd own a set - there isn't any way they do.

One only needs to look at the watch industry to understand why there is a market for these clubs.

Does a $10000 watch tell time 100% better than a $100 watch?

One only needs to look at the watch industry to understand why there is a market for these clubs.

No, it's jewelry for guys

Golf Clubs can be too - but these aren't 4x better looking than my Z745's :) But I guess it's all about prestige with some folks :)

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

metal on the end of a steel stick, providing launch characteristics for a regulated ball. There's only so much you can do.

Ah! Well played! That is a solid rebuttal! --> USGA regulations prevent anything more than nominal performance variations between clubs.

If that's the case then it makes it harder to justify they wide variance in price. While a 15% performance boost might be legitimately worth a 3x premium, a 1% boost . . . well, that's tough to argue.

So, in that case, what about a previously unavailable combination or superior feel and slightly greater than nominal increase in performance. How much is that worth? 3x more? Hard to say because the "feel" of a golf club is even less quantifiable than it's performance.

I couldn't care less about feel. It doesn't impact scores. It's a luxury.

If someone told me "you have to drive over this horrible terrain" and that was all they said. I could do it in a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, or i could do it in a Mercedes G500....Either way it would get done. Your choice would be whether simply achieving the goal was fun in it of itself...or if you had to do it with panache. That's up to the individual.

Great Post Jeff, not too mention how much More satisfying it is to beat some guy in a Benz with your Jeep too lol.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

No, it's jewelry for guys

Golf Clubs can be too - but these aren't 4x better looking than my Z745's :) But I guess it's all about prestige with some folks :)

That's the thing. It's all relative. Not sure how much you paid for your Srixon's but they were probably 4x more expensive than another set out there.

They're legit overpriced Ping clubs......not 1% "better" than Ping Titleist Callaway etc.....

It's not like Ping, Titleist, Callaway clubs all cost the same. Even within their lineups, they have price ranges.. e.g. AP1 vs. TMB, X series vs. Apex Pro, etc...

Are TMBs 1% better than AP1s? Are they worth $85-100 more per iron?

They're legit overpriced Ping clubs......not 1% "better" than Ping Titleist Callaway etc.....

It's not like Ping, Titleist, Callaway clubs all cost the same. Even within their lineups, they have price ranges.. e.g. AP1 vs. TMB, X series vs. Apex Pro, etc...

I think the attraction of the PXG 0311 from reading these threads is that it has comfortable length from heel to toe, looks like a blade, gets you another club in length, has great feel, and has better than normal CB forgiveness - tough to do in one club.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

I think the attraction of the PXG 0311 from reading these threads is that it has comfortable length from heel to toe, looks like a blade, gets you another club in length, has great feel, and has better than normal CB forgiveness - tough to do in one club.

I agree.

One of the common complaints is that the price of PXGs do not correspond to matching increase in performance. The point I was trying to make is that the same is true for all golf clubs.

A $800 set of irons does not perform 4x better than a $200 set of irons yet people expect PXGs to perform x times better than other irons because they cost x times as much.

I purchased the Titleist T-MB irons and liked the looks of them with the purported forgiveness due to the flex face and void behind it.

I found that I hit the shorter irons higher than what I was accustomed to having...with the x100 shaft!

I also found that the mid to shorter irons were firmer/harder feeling than I wanted when compared to a blade looking iron.

http://pluggedingolf.com/titleist-716-t-mb-irons-review/

"Perhaps the most disappointing element of the Titleist 716 T-MB irons is the feel. When a club has the look of a muscle back, you expect a soft, pure feeling, but even centered shots with the T-MB feel firm. Mishits go right past firm and enter the realm of feeling harsh."

So, what to do. Then I found this review by FairwayFred:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1294562-parsons-xtreme-golf-now-at-carls-golfland/page__st__30?do=findComment&comment=13158796

"I have a set of 0311Ts and a set of Titleist T-MBs and just recently decided to bag the T-MB over the 0311T. I had 3 long sessions on trackman and took them both onto the golf course and hit them back to back. They were setup the same with the same specs, lofts, shaft etc.

It was a very close call.

The T-MB for me go higher and about a half club longer. They are more forgiving on thin mishits.

The 0311Ts look a little better with a smaller profile and less offset. They also feel better and more like a traditional forging. They lack a little bit of the feedback of a traditional forging as they feel basically the same no matter where on the face you hit them.

I got great ball speed from both sets. I think I hit the T-MB further because I'm a low ball hitter and they go a little higher.

At the end of the day I could have played either set and been very happy but went for the little better performance over the more traditional looks and feel that I prefer."

Well there we go...the PXG is going to be a little lower and have a softer feel....BINGO just what I was looking for in a change from then T-MB with the SAME look of a MB iron!

So, I have ordered the 8,9,PW 0311T to see if they improve on the T-MB irons in the ways I outlined. I should know in a couple of weeks or less.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Same thing that lures a man to a woman.............new and exotic...........and makes promises that it can never keep.

whose making the promises? the man or the woman he lied to?

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

and this 1% opinion is based on what? Hey, I own PXG and I get that some people seem to be angry about other people spending their discretionary funds on these clubs but when people throw out random justifications for hating these clubs it seems bizarre to me.

Sometimes it feels like I am part of a 12 step program when I own these, "Hi, I'm Bob and I own PXG clubs." "Hi Bob." They are sure conversation starters though. I have been approached by a few people that have asked a lot of questions about the clubs.

PXG is targetting a specific market....those who are discriminating about their equipment and can afford to pay for them sooner or later...

i have tried them and like them a lot but cannot afford them right now...maybe later..

for those who are also discriminating but have expressed that they will never buy it for whatever reason....you are NOT their market..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

Discriminating has very little to do with it. Go through any thread about new equipment (this happens pretty much have every time one of the oems release something new) and then add perceived value because of jacked up prices and people drinking the hypeade and you have pxg. No new technology, no better performance than other clubs at half the price but people want the latest greatest for a variety of reasons.

Discriminating has very little to do with it. Go through any thread about new equipment (this happens pretty much have every time one of the oems release something new) and then add perceived value because of jacked up prices and people drinking the hypeade and you have pxg. No new technology, no better performance than other clubs at half the price but people want the latest greatest for a variety of reasons.

if you only purchase items looking for value for money you are also NOT their target market...

PXG's market also includes those who appreciate a weii-crafted custom fitted piece of equipment made of the finest materials regardless of price..

not a big market for sure but am sure they're ok with that...

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

If you arent seeing these irons selling then you arent at the right courses. Its no secret that pxg targets higher end fitters and clubs. I played in a guest day at a high end club and saw at least 3 iron sets today. The pro shop said they are moving several sets. Its a boutique item targeted towards guys who likes stuff that will not be in the bag of every tom dick and hank. This exclusivity will cost you, but guys who are buying pxg dont really have $$ problems either.