What's with the PXG craze?

roadtrippin4550

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope those who make any comments on these clubs have actually tried them out..

if not your comments are kinda useless...to me.

I haven't personally tried herpes but I know I wouldn't like it

I think we can discuss the stuff any way we choose as long as we don't break forum rules. We aren't paid reviewers

..another useless post..

Oh now now , didn't you read earlier.......he's the king of sarcasm !

And maturity!

I wouldn't call it a CRAZE anyway

Since starting the Scottsdale, Arizona-based company Parsons said he has sold about 120 sets of irons, 105 drivers and 53 prototype putters, for a total of about $500,000 in revenue

not exactly a recipe for success

You know that article was from almost a year ago, right?

no. I actually didnt see that. what are the accurate #'s? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Since starting the Scottsdale, Arizona-based company Parsons said he has sold about 120 sets of irons, 105 drivers and 53 prototype putters, for a total of about $500,000 in revenue

Just came across this article that says they did $1.85 million in sales in February and growing 60% every month http://fortune.com/2016/03/20/godaddy-founder-golf-clubs/.

That I don't agree with. I'm sure they weren't unhappy, but I bet other clubs fit just as well. If these were only slightly more expensive that's one thing but these things are way more expensive. But yea it's their money. So I hope they really like them

That depends. For me, the PXG irons outperformed my second choice Callaway Apex irons. The PXGs were $85 more per iron.

More expensive for sure but worth it for me.

Callaway may not be the best comparison....

I also tried irons from Mizuno, Titleist, Ping, and Taylormade. The Callaway Apex and the PXG were the finalists. I hit them head to head, and in the end, PXG won out.

I am trying both at the end of the month in a fitting... It seems as if the PXG would have the advantage on forgiveness and toe hits with the weighting system. Even the 0311T seems as it would have added forgiveness.

Wonder if a combo would work - 0311 - 5-7, and 0311T in 8-PW, maybe with the 7i making the cut in the 0311T.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Just came across this article that says they did $1.85 million in sales in February and growing 60% every month http://fortune.com/2...er-golf-clubs/.

Amazing!!!

They will be selling a boat load more clubs with that win by James Hahn.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I was fitted today for the 0311Ts and they are the "ducks nuts"!!! Very solid irons, gave me the best numbers in terms of spin, launch, ball speeds, and feels great.

Holy $hit man, I hope you have an insurance policy on your bag. It's impressive!!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

Just came across this article that says they did $1.85 million in sales in February and growing 60% every month http://fortune.com/2...er-golf-clubs/.

My fitter told me that he has been selling 5-7 sets a week.

I believe it....they are THAT GOOD.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I was fitted today for the 0311Ts and they are the "ducks nuts"!!! Very solid irons, gave me the best numbers in terms of spin, launch, ball speeds, and feels great.

Holy $hit man, I hope you have an insurance policy on your bag. It's impressive!!

No doubt insurance is a must on a bag like that, but do we think the average thief is going to understand the value of PXGs?

And resale on them will probably be pretty bad (compared to purchase cost) because of how fitted they are.

Honestly I bet if we lined PXGs up with a bunch of other new irons, the average person would think the PXGs were on the cheaper end. Performance aside, I think they look more like an 8th grade shop class experiment gone awry than top of the line golf clubs. For the record though, I don't care how they look.

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

"We had no constraints on costs, we had a metals expert that advised us, and we also had free rein on everything; and we got lucky—I mean jackpot lucky,” Parsons says to Fortune. “We decided we would insert into the (club head’s) cavity some type of elastomer to absorb vibrations to make it feel good and it also kept the face from collapsing (at impact with the ball).”

Parsons explains that creates a bigger sweet spot and launches the ball higher and faster into the air than other clubs.

The empty club head filled with elastomer makes a “trampoline effect,” according to Matt Knitter, master fitter and master builder in Club Champion’s Santa Monica, Calif. location. He also notes the distinctive holes on the iron heads are perimeter weights that help keep the face steady on impact.I’ve never seen an iron with that much ball speed generated, that’s that forgiving,” Knitter adds. “They’re long and fast and easy to hit."

Here we go with the marketing

1.85 million equates to 370 sets off clubs.......hardly "booming"

that equates to each of the 29 states selling 3 sets each for the month of February.

Once PXG brings that new 0811X Driver to the market that James Hahn used, they will see sales soar!

I'm all for niche and boutique but this guy parsons is a bit odd. Why put extreme in a high end golf brand's name? Not only that it's spelled xtreme. I feel like I'm 13 again saying "kool" instead of "cool." I digress, but I don't think a James Hahn win will represent millions in sales. I like the black finish and that's about it. To be upfront I game mizuno JPX 825 pros. I think the Parson guy has mastered brand positioning and by placing his on the xtreme high end (see what I did there) people will perceive the quality/performance to be superior bc of price. Maybe they do feel a bit better and if you enjoy the game more that's what matters. Hey, you may even shoot lower scores but prob will be about the same due to archer arrow effect.

http://www.golfdiges...=OTIwODk3MjUwS0

“Our staff players and we already knew that these clubs were in a class by themselves, but this win is a wonderful thing for us. My cell phone is blowing up right now with text messages.”

Great looking clubs that just simply perform!

Great article!

http://fortune.com/2016/03/20/godaddy-founder-golf-clubs/

"Parsons says making golf clubs is a labor of love: “I absolutely adore being in this business and so do the guys we work with. We don’t cut corners, we use the best materials and once we get it made we do what Ferrari does, we put a price on it.”

The price tag: $5,000 for a set."

You only have so many people who can afford $5000 clubs......this represents a fad over a long standing business model

You do not have to purchase the entire bag - most people have more than one OEM in their bags. 99.8% here are not tour players. The way you state $5k is misleading - when one states they are purchasing Callaway, no one says, "Wow, $3,200 is a lot of money!"

Of course, the PXG Irons w an exotic graphite shaft might be $380 each, so one better make certain they will use every iron selected in a set. Even 6-PW might be $1900. Nothing at sneeze at...

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I wouldn't call it a CRAZE anyway Since starting the Scottsdale, Arizona-based company Parsons said he has sold about 120 sets of irons, 105 drivers and 53 prototype putters, for a total of about $500,000 in revenue not exactly a recipe for success
Great article! http://fortune.com/2016/03/20/godaddy-founder-golf-clubs/ "Parsons says making golf clubs is a labor of love: “I absolutely adore being in this business and so do the guys we work with. We don’t cut corners, we use the best materials and once we get it made we do what Ferrari does, we put a price on it.” The price tag: $5,000 for a set."

Keep in mind that most of the sales are done through club makers/fitters so PXG must sell the clubheads to them at a lower price than the MSRP of $300 (in this case irons).

I also have a lot of cool screws in my workshop.Different colors and weights. Wait...I have a drill too! Put a threaded bit on it grab a club and presto I AM the new superscience TECHNOLOGICAL wizard of golf. Wait lemmee think>>> Weren't drills and screws available when Hogan, Snead, Palmer and the golden bear were in their prime???? Drills too!!! AH maybe they were not as scientifically advanced back then. Who woulda thought?

I paid that kind of money for my Miura irons, because they are made by the hands of GOD.

I won't pay that kind of money for PXG irons, because they were made by 2 ex-Ping engineers.

edit:

Granted Mike Nicolette, Pings former Senior Product Designer's recent effort were the Ping S55, but they are $1,000 clubs.

Any way, I'll watch these clubs develop over time. I have several years to get comfortable with my current gear.