What's with the PXG craze?

roadtrippin4550

I wouldnt call it a craze. They have a lot of attention for being pricey and signing a few tour guys. People who have hit them seem to like them, and they do offer something different.

90% of the gear sold is just so people can say they have it. Friend of mine just got fitted for new irons. It is his first fitting ever, which seems crazy for a guy that shoots 80 with off the rack burner 2.0s. he loves his new clubs; he thinks they are more forgiving and longer than his old set.... still shoots 80 and i would be damned surprised if they were actually any longer.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no craze. This is 100% marketing. It's just re-badged Pings at thrice the price.

If you aren't sure about the marketing side, this is a guy that got a domain registrar talked about in Congress for getting lesbian-friendly models and race car drivers to wear bikinis in Super Bowl ads. That IS Bob Parsons' business acumen; he's a marketer with no shame.

Personally, I'm glad for one thing. If Bob is playing golf, he's not hunting elephants. Hunt pins all you want, Bob. Leave the lions and elephants alone.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

There is no craze. This is 100% marketing. It's just re-badged Pings at thrice the price.

If you aren't sure about the marketing side, this is a guy that got a domain registrar talked about in Congress for getting lesbian-friendly models and race car drivers to wear bikinis in Super Bowl ads. That IS Bob Parsons' business acumen; he's a marketer with no shame.

Personally, I'm glad for one thing. If Bob is playing golf, he's not hunting elephants. Hunt pins all you want, Bob. Leave the lions and elephants alone.

Was it not a legal elephant hunt? It even fed an entire village of people in Zimbabwe. It's no worse than a dear hunter sitting in front of an automatic feeder waiting to kill a dear. Besides, we are talking about golf clubs? And these clubs are pretty amazing in their own right and cannot do anything but good for the game by making other manufacturers produce better equipment. Just my opinion.....I am more a fan of these irons than PETA

Pretty much every club made today is made withing 5% of it's nearest competitor....so it's hard to justify the price difference.

Playing devil's advocate here . . . What if every competitor is within 5% of its nearest competitor because of the financial constraints of the retail market? That is, the other companies can't or won't put better technology in their clubs because the cost of doing it would make the retail price too high to sell enough clubs to make a profit. So, what if PXG can be better than the competitors because it does spend money on better technology and doesn't care about retail cost?

Personally, I haven't hit them yet. But I know several people I trust who have hit them, have no ties to PXG, and have really liked the product.

Pretty much every club made today is made withing 5% of it's nearest competitor....so it's hard to justify the price difference.

Playing devil's advocate here . . . What if every competitor is within 5% of its nearest competitor because of the financial constraints of the retail market? That is, the other companies can't or won't put better technology in their clubs because the cost of doing it would make the retail price too high to sell enough clubs to make a profit. So, what if PXG can be better than the competitors because it does spend money on better technology and doesn't care about retail cost?

Personally, I haven't hit them yet. But I know several people I trust who have hit them, have no ties to PXG, and have really liked the product.

Eric, that's the thing... no one says the quality isn't there. To the contrary, the irons are really good. They just aren't 3x as good. Therefore, it's a "boutique" item. Just like some of the JDM stuff... you play it because that's what you want to play and pay. Use your favorite car analogy.

Anyhow, that isn't to say there's no market. There is definitely a market for it. But the "craze" is 100% marketing. Parsons can market like few others, so calling it a "craze" is a call to their marketing... they have no might-and-day advantage head-to-head.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Eric, that's the thing... no one says the quality isn't there. To the contrary, the irons are really good. They just aren't 3x as good. Therefore, it's a "boutique" item. Just like some of the JDM stuff... you play it because that's what you want to play and pay. Use your favorite car analogy.

Anyhow, that isn't to say there's no market. There is definitely a market for it. But the "craze" is 100% marketing. Parsons can market like few others, so calling it a "craze" is a call to their marketing... they have no might-and-day advantage head-to-head.

Ah, but there is the flaw in your argument: The assumption that the increase in price must directly correspond to the increase in performance.

At a certain level, every percentage point in performance increase could be exponentially more expensive. For example, a 20% performance increase could easily be worth a 10x price premium. If you were trying to reach scratch from a single digit handicap, would you buy a club that was 3x as expensive as your current club if it could help you get there? Some people would.

Or, let's look at your car example: aren't there supercars whose sole goal is performance without regard to mass market affordability? They are 3x more expensive than other sports cars, but offer performance that is less than 3x better. But they can reach higher speeds and they do it faster. Just not 3x faster speeds and 3x faster. But the point is: they can reach those higher speeds and they can do it faster - something the cheaper cars can't do. And people are willing to pay a premium for that. Why should golf clubs be any different? Of course, it's harder to quantify golf clubs than cars.

Again, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I like discussing PXG's role in the current market. I don't really care whether anyone actually buys PXG. Well, that's not exactly true: if they can afford it and it makes golf more enjoyable for them, then they have my support.

metal on the end of a steel stick, providing launch characteristics for a regulated ball. There's only so much you can do. I'm not trying to seem anti expensive equipment ...i have not demo'd any of the JDM stuff, i have demod some of the pricy domestic stuff...I don't believe any individual piece of equipment will make you a much better golfer

The 2014-2015 rapture 3 wood is a great example of a similar club to PXG irons. It was twice as expensive as a normal strong 3 wood. Some people loved it, if it was really 5-10yds better then others consistently over a wide array of testers, more tour players would've used it

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

metal on the end of a steel stick, providing launch characteristics for a regulated ball. There's only so much you can do.

Ah! Well played! That is a solid rebuttal! --> USGA regulations prevent anything more than nominal performance variations between clubs.

If that's the case then it makes it harder to justify they wide variance in price. While a 15% performance boost might be legitimately worth a 3x premium, a 1% boost . . . well, that's tough to argue.

So, in that case, what about a previously unavailable combination or superior feel and slightly greater than nominal increase in performance. How much is that worth? 3x more? Hard to say because the "feel" of a golf club is even less quantifiable than it's performance.

metal on the end of a steel stick, providing launch characteristics for a regulated ball. There's only so much you can do.

Ah! Well played! That is a solid rebuttal! --> USGA regulations prevent anything more than nominal performance variations between clubs.

If that's the case then it makes it harder to justify they wide variance in price. While a 15% performance boost might be legitimately worth a 3x premium, a 1% boost . . . well, that's tough to argue.

So, in that case, what about a previously unavailable combination or superior feel and slightly greater than nominal increase in performance. How much is that worth? 3x more? Hard to say because the "feel" of a golf club is even less quantifiable than it's performance.

I couldn't care less about feel. It doesn't impact scores. It's a luxury.

If someone told me "you have to drive over this horrible terrain" and that was all they said. I could do it in a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, or i could do it in a Mercedes G500....Either way it would get done. Your choice would be whether simply achieving the goal was fun in it of itself...or if you had to do it with panache. That's up to the individual.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I couldn't care less about feel. It doesn't impact scores. It's a luxury.

If someone told me "you have to drive over this horrible terrain" and that was all they said. I could do it in a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, or i could do it in a Mercedes G500....Either way it would get done. Your choice would be whether simply achieving the goal was fun in it of itself...or if you had to do it with panache. That's up to the individual.

Attempting to extend your analogy: What if it was rough terrain in the desert at midday in summer. And one car had a/c, a stereo, and a cooler with water . . . while the other did not? Worth a premium?

Or, let me ask this: why did you buy the clubs you use now? Was it 100% because they performed the best for you? Were there no cheaper models that would have gotten you to the 18th hole with the same scores? Are you 100% certain of that, or are there some models you didn't even try because of the way they looked, felt, or the image they portrayed? (If not, could you have bought them used instead of new?)

Let me be clear, those are rhetorical questions. I have no desire to actually question (or disparage!) your choices - they are your own and if they made you happy, more power to you. Like I mentioned above, I'm just interested in discussing how PXG fits into the market and why they seem to be succeeding.

Ah, but there is the flaw in your argument: The assumption that the increase in price must directly correspond to the increase in performance.

At a certain level, every percentage point in performance increase could be exponentially more expensive. For example, a 20% performance increase could easily be worth a 10x price premium. If you were trying to reach scratch from a single digit handicap, would you buy a club that was 3x as expensive as your current club if it could help you get there? Some people would.

Or, let's look at your car example: aren't there supercars whose sole goal is performance without regard to mass market affordability? They are 3x more expensive than other sports cars, but offer performance that is less than 3x better. But they can reach higher speeds and they do it faster. Just not 3x faster speeds and 3x faster. But the point is: they can reach those higher speeds and they can do it faster - something the cheaper cars can't do. And people are willing to pay a premium for that. Why should golf clubs be any different? Of course, it's harder to quantify golf clubs than cars.

Again, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I like discussing PXG's role in the current market. I don't really care whether anyone actually buys PXG. Well, that's not exactly true: if they can afford it and it makes golf more enjoyable for them, then they have my support.

My mistake; I didn't think you'd take '3x' as a literal, linear approach. If it was 3x better it would have been banned immediately.

Same thing with your car analogy... it's not a linear adjustment, but it makes the exact point needed. You can pay triple for a car. When you do, you have expectations on how it will perform, how it will ride, how it will feel, how luxurious you feel for owning it, etc. These things are relative and generally are based around disposable income levels. I totally get all of that kerfuffle.

As everyone has said above, they are a luxury brand. In my opinion, I think the "craze" the OP mentions is 100% manufactured. Well, 99% if he believes it, I guess. But my point is that I'm not the least bit surprised given Parsons' marketing skills. He can get Eskimos to buy ice and get excited about it. My ongoing problem is that he's ethically challenged in how he conducts himself and his businesses. While I haven't seen any 0311's between cleavage, that just means it hasn't happened *yet*. There will be boobs. There will be outrageous marketing. But like I said, if this is diverting him from being a big-game trophy hunter, that's a win for the wildlife of the world.

And since someone else asked, I am not accusing Parsons of poaching. I never have. I think the concept of big-game trophy hunting is sick and twisted on its own merits. Things can be unethical without being illegal, and if someone is going to be "surprised" by a "craze", it should be pointed out what the source is.

The sticks, I'm sure they're fine. Probably feel like Miuras or similar, and probably perform pretty decently. He brought over some smart people, and the guy does know how to run a business. That said, it's a boutique brand because it's a) not in wide distribution, b) priced well above similar products, c) is attempting to gain a niche following. Again, nothing wrong with boutique, but "craze"? No.

These feel nothing like Pings. Look, feel, perform much better. The elastomer fill with the thin face gives great feedback.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

I still don't understand how they look like pings- I've never seen irons look like this before. Especially with the screws.

Yea, I have no idea where there comes from. Anymore than they're rebadged Adams MB's, lol

Have a nice weekend Bro :)

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

The lofts are stronger than what I consider standard for player clubs. That alone will give distance gains however relevant.

The world’s finest irons

That is the copy and paste claim on the website. Definitely makes me want to at least try.

TM M5 10.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X
Ping Stretch 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7X
Ping 410H 19* with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X
Miura Bades 4-PW
Miura Wedges 51,55,59
Callaway PM 64
BB2  or one of my T.P. Mills handmade 

Here are some results from Carl's testing. Now just what is one expecting from these irons?

More consistency; more accuracy; more distance? They are very fine and well made irons, but lets not expect miracles!

Well perhaps not...........maybe it's the looks or the feel of them. Then you will pay up for just that and that's it.

That said these irons certainly have the "buzz" on them and they will sought by some just to impress your foursome friends.

From the looks of the picture, it seems like the PSI Tours had the tightest grouping, and the PSI had the most consistant distance control.

Ping G430 LST 9*, Ka’ili White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

The bottom line is if someone like the clubs, can afford the clubs and has a desire to own the clubs, BOOM, done deal-

My first car was a yellow 1972 Beetle that I drove off of my campus and into my first job, with IBM. I was in National Accounts for those familiar(not a brag-> fact :) ). It was white shirts only and not any white shirts, ie., no button downs. Baby Blue and pinstriped shirts were acceptable after my three year run, lol. When my Manager saw my vehicle he asked me to stop in his office. Long to short, he said if need be, they would co-sign however I was to have a newl vehicle in one week's time, lol(there was no need, as I got the loan on my own).

I tried the "look, my Bug gets from point A to point B just like a new car yada, yada, yada"

He nicely gave me my first piece of advice that I would carry forward to this day:

"98% of those who use that comparison/correlation do so because they either have no choice/option or made a poor choice and hence have to defend their choice or lot in life. You never want to be in that 98% and if you're in that 2%, that's great, but you're not a good fit here."

I wanted a new car but as it was my first real purchase as an "adult," I was afraid to pull the trigger till forced.

People have different motivations for every move we make, we usually do it backwards though in that we see, we want and THEN we fit the reasoning/rationale to fit and justify our purchase however just as I don't feel a need to defend driving a Benz and yea, I'll tell you right now, at the end of the day, it's because of that star, lol, if I could afford the XPG's, I wouldn't defend s***, lol

Am I shallow? Superficial? Materialistic?

To a degree yes, however I do not believe that I even approach the line, much less cross it for being a pretentious dick.

If I'm not in a discussion that warrants it's mention, you would not know what I drive-

The same goes for guys that play Miura or XPG or any other luxury club-

If I wasn't sick and running on all cylinders, I'd be hittin em, Playin em and hopinn that I liked em cuz like I've said before, I love havin stuff the herd doesn't or can't have, haha.

Even if it's not luxury, like just switching golf balls when Stones came out cuz I did this poll one Saturday morning on the tee prior to a swat and 22/24 had ProV's

When I came back from the Pro Shop, it was 21/24, lol

Plain and simple, I can't afford these now or they'd get the most rigorous "test" of any iron outside my Mizzys and Staffs.

I just love how guys tap dance around the elephant in the room, lmao

Look, you see em, like em, hit em well and can swing em financially, God Bless Ya, enjoy the hell out em!!!

I'll tell ya one thing and for those of you that know if what I speak I know you'd agree~

One of the top 2-3 greatest feelings in the world is similar to that thingy male doggies do, and the only reason is that THEY CAN(And I'm guessing here but it feels damn good :) )~

Nuff Said :)

I'm glad that you got em Joey, cuz YOU are an XPG Man, lol

Maybe someday I will be too :)

Stay Well My Friends and have a great weekend :)

Golfingly Yours,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Craze? lol

Until PXG is available at Golfsmith and Dick's, he's no marketing genius. Higher end cars like Mercedes and BMW dealerships are everywhere.

WRXers are aware, but 95% of weekend players that walk into Golfsmith have never heard of PXG.

I drive an older BMW and I'm lovin' my $79 Tommy Armour 845s!

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

WRXers are aware, but 95% of every weekend player that walks into Golfsmith have never heard of PXG.

Agreed!!

My analogy of Benz vs. XPG was from the standpoint that both are products that even if most wanted them, they can't afford them~

I'm guessing but I betcha that number is higher than 95%, lol

My Best,

RP

I still don't understand how they look like pings- I've never seen irons look like this before. Especially with the screws.

Yea, I have no idea where there comes from. Anymore than they're rebadged Adams MB's, lol

All the Best,

RP

Just look at them face on or from address. VERY similar lines. They've even got the painted first groove.

WRXers are aware, but 95% of every weekend player that walks into Golfsmith have never heard of PXG.

Agreed!!

My analogy of Benz vs. XPG was from the standpoint that both are products that even if most wanted them, they can't afford them~

I'm guessing but I betcha that number is higher than 95%, lol

My Best,

RP

So true Brocedes!

And when I say I drive older Bimmer...it's a 1980. I'm cheap. I wasn't always cheap, I used to blow money on cars and golf stuff, but then I realized, none of it made any difference in any way.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

I was thinking the same thing of the above analogy. Everyone knows what BMW or Benz is and that they are of perceived quality. To the vast majority of the golfing public, if you showed up with PXG or Muira clubs, they would think you are playing some no name generic KMart clubs........ If you wanted to make a statement to the general public, show up with shiny Titleist blades...... Not due to any cost perceptions, but due to playa perceptions........ Ha

Ping G430 LST 9*, Ka’ili White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1