Jersey Golfers

wrayner

> @philsRHman said:

> > @endlesswinterco said:

> > MD guy needs some help please! Traveling up to Summit for work in two weeks. Bringing the sticks. After googling, looks like I should be looking at Scotland Run, Neshanic Valley or architects. I checked out BallyOwen but didn’t look like tee times on the monday I can play. Driving from Baltimore but open to suggestions on where to play. Done all the AC courses and loved Skyway when I played last summer. Thanks for the help.

>

> Unless you’re stopping on the way and it’s on the way, Scotland Run would be a haul. Neshanic is a great track and I’d suggest Galloping Hill for a solid choice pretty nearby. I think Rock Spring would also be convenient and that was a fun round, a rare public Raynor course

I'd agree with Phil. If you are taking the normal route you will pass right next to Galloping Hill. Great course and not much of an extra drive. I personally like Neshanic better (but I am partial being from Somerset County), but it will be a bit off your route.

> @endlesswinterco said:

> MD guy needs some help please! Traveling up to Summit for work in two weeks. Bringing the sticks. After googling, looks like I should be looking at Scotland Run, Neshanic Valley or architects. I checked out BallyOwen but didn’t look like tee times on the monday I can play. Driving from Baltimore but open to suggestions on where to play. Done all the AC courses and loved Skyway when I played last summer. Thanks for the help.

Neshanic Valley. Galloping is nice but the only variety in the course is due to the elevation changes; Otherwise most holes feel kind of the same to me. I usually have more fun at Neshanic, too - The par 5's are easier reached in 2 and there's a bunch of risk/reward par 4's where you can easily cut dog legs off to end up really close to the green. I feel like every hole on Gallopiing is just automatically pound a driver with maybe 1-2 hole (obviously not par 3s) the better move is probably a long iron/hybrid. I've played the 6100 and 6600 yard boxes at Neshanic a different way each time it feels like... a lot of course management options.

> @endlesswinterco said:

> Thank you all for the feedback! Don’t mind driving a bit of the highway. Sounds like down to two choices

> @endlesswinterco said:

> Thank you all for the feedback! Don’t mind driving a bit of the highway. Sounds like down to two choices

Yeah if you don't mind the detour a bit definitely go Neshanic over Galloping

> @golfer07840 said:

> Does anyone know if Crystal Springs is punching the greens for Black Bear or Wild Turkey this week? I'm looking at Tee times for Saturday and both courses are showing a 28 to 35% discount. This screams aerated greens, also, it's just that time of the year. A necessary evil I suppose.

IDK but yep this is prime punching time. I'm a horrible putter anyway, I'd 100% take a 35% discount to play those courses on punched greens.

Edit: Also thinking of making a full day trip up to Crystal possibly late this month or sometime next month. Gonna take the day off of work to go so looking to play 36 - out of Ballyowen, Wild Turkey or Black Bear, which two would you pick and why?

Hey. I moved near Hoboken in March. Looking for some new golf buddies / groups - pref low teen / single figure handicappers. I play every weekend. I have a friend who is a good player in Hoboken but we could both do with meeting some new players. Our mates are hackers.

WITB 2023

Titleist TSR3 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6x
Callaway Apex UT 17 Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7x
Sim 2 Rescue 19* Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 85X

TaylorMade P770 2017 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 120x
Titleist Vokey SM8 50*,54*,58*
Scoty Cameron Phantom X 9.5
Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

Titleist Linksmaster Club Bag

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @golfer07840 said:

> > Does anyone know if Crystal Springs is punching the greens for Black Bear or Wild Turkey this week? I'm looking at Tee times for Saturday and both courses are showing a 28 to 35% discount. This screams aerated greens, also, it's just that time of the year. A necessary evil I suppose.

>

> IDK but yep this is prime punching time. I'm a horrible putter anyway, I'd 100% take a 35% discount to play those courses on punched greens.

>

> Edit: Also thinking of making a full day trip up to Crystal possibly late this month or sometime next month. Gonna take the day off of work to go so looking to play 36 - out of Ballyowen, Wild Turkey or Black Bear, which two would you pick and why?

Wild Turkey and Black Bear out of those 3. Ballyowen and Wild Turkey, are almost identical, but I think Wild Turkey, just has more memorable and interesting holes. Ballyowen, IMO, is a little bland. Black Bear, I like the flow of it and it's very gettable.

My personal favorite and I admit I'm a sadist with this, is the Crystal Springs course. Probably because I don't feel that I have to hit driver on every hole.

> @golfer07840 said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > Does anyone know if Crystal Springs is punching the greens for Black Bear or Wild Turkey this week? I'm looking at Tee times for Saturday and both courses are showing a 28 to 35% discount. This screams aerated greens, also, it's just that time of the year. A necessary evil I suppose.

> >

> > IDK but yep this is prime punching time. I'm a horrible putter anyway, I'd 100% take a 35% discount to play those courses on punched greens.

> >

> > Edit: Also thinking of making a full day trip up to Crystal possibly late this month or sometime next month. Gonna take the day off of work to go so looking to play 36 - out of Ballyowen, Wild Turkey or Black Bear, which two would you pick and why?

>

> Wild Turkey and Black Bear out of those 3. Ballyowen and Wild Turkey, are almost identical, but I think Wild Turkey, just has more memorable and interesting holes. Ballyowen, IMO, is a little bland. Black Bear, I like the flow of it and it's very gettable.

>

> My personal favorite and I admit I'm a **** with this, is the Crystal Springs course. Probably because I don't feel that I have to hit driver on every hole.

My favorite kinds of courses are ones you can make decisions on - Ie a hole could be played aggressive with driver but still possible to make a par by taking an iron. I usually find the links style courses tend to offer more of this as the heavily tree lines courses, if they are more narrow, tend to be pretty much 1 club off the tee type of lay outs.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @golfer07840 said:

> > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > > Does anyone know if Crystal Springs is punching the greens for Black Bear or Wild Turkey this week? I'm looking at Tee times for Saturday and both courses are showing a 28 to 35% discount. This screams aerated greens, also, it's just that time of the year. A necessary evil I suppose.

> > >

> > > IDK but yep this is prime punching time. I'm a horrible putter anyway, I'd 100% take a 35% discount to play those courses on punched greens.

> > >

> > > Edit: Also thinking of making a full day trip up to Crystal possibly late this month or sometime next month. Gonna take the day off of work to go so looking to play 36 - out of Ballyowen, Wild Turkey or Black Bear, which two would you pick and why?

> >

> > Wild Turkey and Black Bear out of those 3. Ballyowen and Wild Turkey, are almost identical, but I think Wild Turkey, just has more memorable and interesting holes. Ballyowen, IMO, is a little bland. Black Bear, I like the flow of it and it's very gettable.

> >

> > My personal favorite and I admit I'm a **** with this, is the Crystal Springs course. Probably because I don't feel that I have to hit driver on every hole.

>

> My favorite kinds of courses are ones you can make decisions on - Ie a hole could be played aggressive with driver but still possible to make a par by taking an iron. I usually find the links style courses tend to offer more of this as the heavily tree lines courses, if they are more narrow, tend to be pretty much 1 club off the tee type of lay outs.

You've described Crystal Springs to a tee. A lot of decisions to be made. Wild Turkey, Ballyowen? Not so much. More grip it and rip types.

> @golfer07840 said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > > > Does anyone know if Crystal Springs is punching the greens for Black Bear or Wild Turkey this week? I'm looking at Tee times for Saturday and both courses are showing a 28 to 35% discount. This screams aerated greens, also, it's just that time of the year. A necessary evil I suppose.

> > > >

> > > > IDK but yep this is prime punching time. I'm a horrible putter anyway, I'd 100% take a 35% discount to play those courses on punched greens.

> > > >

> > > > Edit: Also thinking of making a full day trip up to Crystal possibly late this month or sometime next month. Gonna take the day off of work to go so looking to play 36 - out of Ballyowen, Wild Turkey or Black Bear, which two would you pick and why?

> > >

> > > Wild Turkey and Black Bear out of those 3. Ballyowen and Wild Turkey, are almost identical, but I think Wild Turkey, just has more memorable and interesting holes. Ballyowen, IMO, is a little bland. Black Bear, I like the flow of it and it's very gettable.

> > >

> > > My personal favorite and I admit I'm a **** with this, is the Crystal Springs course. Probably because I don't feel that I have to hit driver on every hole.

> >

> > My favorite kinds of courses are ones you can make decisions on - Ie a hole could be played aggressive with driver but still possible to make a par by taking an iron. I usually find the links style courses tend to offer more of this as the heavily tree lines courses, if they are more narrow, tend to be pretty much 1 club off the tee type of lay outs.

>

> You've described Crystal Springs to a tee. A lot of decisions to be made. Wild Turkey, Ballyowen? Not so much. More grip it and rip types.

Nice! That's why I like Neshanic so much, a lot of the holes you can play 2 or even 3 different ways depending on wind or how you're feeling that day. Sounds like BB and CS will be my front runners for now.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @golfer07840 said:

> > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > > > > Does anyone know if Crystal Springs is punching the greens for Black Bear or Wild Turkey this week? I'm looking at Tee times for Saturday and both courses are showing a 28 to 35% discount. This screams aerated greens, also, it's just that time of the year. A necessary evil I suppose.

> > > > >

> > > > > IDK but yep this is prime punching time. I'm a horrible putter anyway, I'd 100% take a 35% discount to play those courses on punched greens.

> > > > >

> > > > > Edit: Also thinking of making a full day trip up to Crystal possibly late this month or sometime next month. Gonna take the day off of work to go so looking to play 36 - out of Ballyowen, Wild Turkey or Black Bear, which two would you pick and why?

> > > >

> > > > Wild Turkey and Black Bear out of those 3. Ballyowen and Wild Turkey, are almost identical, but I think Wild Turkey, just has more memorable and interesting holes. Ballyowen, IMO, is a little bland. Black Bear, I like the flow of it and it's very gettable.

> > > >

> > > > My personal favorite and I admit I'm a **** with this, is the Crystal Springs course. Probably because I don't feel that I have to hit driver on every hole.

> > >

> > > My favorite kinds of courses are ones you can make decisions on - Ie a hole could be played aggressive with driver but still possible to make a par by taking an iron. I usually find the links style courses tend to offer more of this as the heavily tree lines courses, if they are more narrow, tend to be pretty much 1 club off the tee type of lay outs.

> >

> > You've described Crystal Springs to a tee. A lot of decisions to be made. Wild Turkey, Ballyowen? Not so much. More grip it and rip types.

>

> Nice! That's why I like Neshanic so much, a lot of the holes you can play 2 or even 3 different ways depending on wind or how you're feeling that day. Sounds like BB and CS will be my front runners for now.

let me know when you wanna play CS or BB!!!! CS is one of my favorite tracks b/c of how much importance it puts on tee shots and placement. BB is similar just a smaller version if you will.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > > > > > Does anyone know if Crystal Springs is punching the greens for Black Bear or Wild Turkey this week? I'm looking at Tee times for Saturday and both courses are showing a 28 to 35% discount. This screams aerated greens, also, it's just that time of the year. A necessary evil I suppose.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > IDK but yep this is prime punching time. I'm a horrible putter anyway, I'd 100% take a 35% discount to play those courses on punched greens.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Edit: Also thinking of making a full day trip up to Crystal possibly late this month or sometime next month. Gonna take the day off of work to go so looking to play 36 - out of Ballyowen, Wild Turkey or Black Bear, which two would you pick and why?

> > > > >

> > > > > Wild Turkey and Black Bear out of those 3. Ballyowen and Wild Turkey, are almost identical, but I think Wild Turkey, just has more memorable and interesting holes. Ballyowen, IMO, is a little bland. Black Bear, I like the flow of it and it's very gettable.

> > > > >

> > > > > My personal favorite and I admit I'm a **** with this, is the Crystal Springs course. Probably because I don't feel that I have to hit driver on every hole.

> > > >

> > > > My favorite kinds of courses are ones you can make decisions on - Ie a hole could be played aggressive with driver but still possible to make a par by taking an iron. I usually find the links style courses tend to offer more of this as the heavily tree lines courses, if they are more narrow, tend to be pretty much 1 club off the tee type of lay outs.

> > >

> > > You've described Crystal Springs to a tee. A lot of decisions to be made. Wild Turkey, Ballyowen? Not so much. More grip it and rip types.

> >

> > Nice! That's why I like Neshanic so much, a lot of the holes you can play 2 or even 3 different ways depending on wind or how you're feeling that day. Sounds like BB and CS will be my front runners for now.

>

> let me know when you wanna play CS or BB!!!! CS is one of my favorite tracks b/c of how much importance it puts on tee shots and placement. BB is similar just a smaller version if you will.

I'm down, just trying to decide on a date. Likely going to be a Tuesday or Friday though and I probably would want to start the day around 8-9am or so. Wanna play 2 courses because odds me of being willing/able to drive up there and spend that kind of time/money again isn't likely to happen again any time soon.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > > > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > > > > > > Does anyone know if Crystal Springs is punching the greens for Black Bear or Wild Turkey this week? I'm looking at Tee times for Saturday and both courses are showing a 28 to 35% discount. This screams aerated greens, also, it's just that time of the year. A necessary evil I suppose.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > IDK but yep this is prime punching time. I'm a horrible putter anyway, I'd 100% take a 35% discount to play those courses on punched greens.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Edit: Also thinking of making a full day trip up to Crystal possibly late this month or sometime next month. Gonna take the day off of work to go so looking to play 36 - out of Ballyowen, Wild Turkey or Black Bear, which two would you pick and why?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Wild Turkey and Black Bear out of those 3. Ballyowen and Wild Turkey, are almost identical, but I think Wild Turkey, just has more memorable and interesting holes. Ballyowen, IMO, is a little bland. Black Bear, I like the flow of it and it's very gettable.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > My personal favorite and I admit I'm a **** with this, is the Crystal Springs course. Probably because I don't feel that I have to hit driver on every hole.

> > > > >

> > > > > My favorite kinds of courses are ones you can make decisions on - Ie a hole could be played aggressive with driver but still possible to make a par by taking an iron. I usually find the links style courses tend to offer more of this as the heavily tree lines courses, if they are more narrow, tend to be pretty much 1 club off the tee type of lay outs.

> > > >

> > > > You've described Crystal Springs to a tee. A lot of decisions to be made. Wild Turkey, Ballyowen? Not so much. More grip it and rip types.

> > >

> > > Nice! That's why I like Neshanic so much, a lot of the holes you can play 2 or even 3 different ways depending on wind or how you're feeling that day. Sounds like BB and CS will be my front runners for now.

> >

> > let me know when you wanna play CS or BB!!!! CS is one of my favorite tracks b/c of how much importance it puts on tee shots and placement. BB is similar just a smaller version if you will.

>

> I'm down, just trying to decide on a date. Likely going to be a Tuesday or Friday though and I probably would want to start the day around 8-9am or so. Wanna play 2 courses because odds me of being willing/able to drive up there and spend that kind of time/money again isn't likely to happen again any time soon.

i'd be more likely able to do a friday than a tuesday...let me know

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > > > Does anyone know if Crystal Springs is punching the greens for Black Bear or Wild Turkey this week? I'm looking at Tee times for Saturday and both courses are showing a 28 to 35% discount. This screams aerated greens, also, it's just that time of the year. A necessary evil I suppose.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > IDK but yep this is prime punching time. I'm a horrible putter anyway, I'd 100% take a 35% discount to play those courses on punched greens.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Edit: Also thinking of making a full day trip up to Crystal possibly late this month or sometime next month. Gonna take the day off of work to go so looking to play 36 - out of Ballyowen, Wild Turkey or Black Bear, which two would you pick and why?

> > > > >

> > > > > Wild Turkey and Black Bear out of those 3. Ballyowen and Wild Turkey, are almost identical, but I think Wild Turkey, just has more memorable and interesting holes. Ballyowen, IMO, is a little bland. Black Bear, I like the flow of it and it's very gettable.

> > > > >

> > > > > My personal favorite and I admit I'm a **** with this, is the Crystal Springs course. Probably because I don't feel that I have to hit driver on every hole.

> > > >

> > > > My favorite kinds of courses are ones you can make decisions on - Ie a hole could be played aggressive with driver but still possible to make a par by taking an iron. I usually find the links style courses tend to offer more of this as the heavily tree lines courses, if they are more narrow, tend to be pretty much 1 club off the tee type of lay outs.

> > >

> > > You've described Crystal Springs to a tee. A lot of decisions to be made. Wild Turkey, Ballyowen? Not so much. More grip it and rip types.

> >

> > Nice! That's why I like Neshanic so much, a lot of the holes you can play 2 or even 3 different ways depending on wind or how you're feeling that day. Sounds like BB and CS will be my front runners for now.

>

> let me know when you wanna play CS or BB!!!! CS is one of my favorite tracks b/c of how much importance it puts on tee shots and placement. BB is similar just a smaller version if you will.

Black Bear actually gives me more problems than CS, believe it or not.

> @golfer07840 said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > > > > Does anyone know if Crystal Springs is punching the greens for Black Bear or Wild Turkey this week? I'm looking at Tee times for Saturday and both courses are showing a 28 to 35% discount. This screams aerated greens, also, it's just that time of the year. A necessary evil I suppose.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > IDK but yep this is prime punching time. I'm a horrible putter anyway, I'd 100% take a 35% discount to play those courses on punched greens.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Edit: Also thinking of making a full day trip up to Crystal possibly late this month or sometime next month. Gonna take the day off of work to go so looking to play 36 - out of Ballyowen, Wild Turkey or Black Bear, which two would you pick and why?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Wild Turkey and Black Bear out of those 3. Ballyowen and Wild Turkey, are almost identical, but I think Wild Turkey, just has more memorable and interesting holes. Ballyowen, IMO, is a little bland. Black Bear, I like the flow of it and it's very gettable.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > My personal favorite and I admit I'm a **** with this, is the Crystal Springs course. Probably because I don't feel that I have to hit driver on every hole.

> > > > >

> > > > > My favorite kinds of courses are ones you can make decisions on - Ie a hole could be played aggressive with driver but still possible to make a par by taking an iron. I usually find the links style courses tend to offer more of this as the heavily tree lines courses, if they are more narrow, tend to be pretty much 1 club off the tee type of lay outs.

> > > >

> > > > You've described Crystal Springs to a tee. A lot of decisions to be made. Wild Turkey, Ballyowen? Not so much. More grip it and rip types.

> > >

> > > Nice! That's why I like Neshanic so much, a lot of the holes you can play 2 or even 3 different ways depending on wind or how you're feeling that day. Sounds like BB and CS will be my front runners for now.

> >

> > let me know when you wanna play CS or BB!!!! CS is one of my favorite tracks b/c of how much importance it puts on tee shots and placement. BB is similar just a smaller version if you will.

>

> Black Bear actually gives me more problems than CS, believe it or not.

oh i can understand. you get a little left/right at BB and you can definitely add it up quick. i've actually hit more 3 and 4 irons at black bear than driver/3w's...BB is juuuuuust tight enough to give you trouble on an off day.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @golfer07840 said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > > > > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > > > > > > > Does anyone know if Crystal Springs is punching the greens for Black Bear or Wild Turkey this week? I'm looking at Tee times for Saturday and both courses are showing a 28 to 35% discount. This screams aerated greens, also, it's just that time of the year. A necessary evil I suppose.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > IDK but yep this is prime punching time. I'm a horrible putter anyway, I'd 100% take a 35% discount to play those courses on punched greens.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Edit: Also thinking of making a full day trip up to Crystal possibly late this month or sometime next month. Gonna take the day off of work to go so looking to play 36 - out of Ballyowen, Wild Turkey or Black Bear, which two would you pick and why?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Wild Turkey and Black Bear out of those 3. Ballyowen and Wild Turkey, are almost identical, but I think Wild Turkey, just has more memorable and interesting holes. Ballyowen, IMO, is a little bland. Black Bear, I like the flow of it and it's very gettable.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > My personal favorite and I admit I'm a **** with this, is the Crystal Springs course. Probably because I don't feel that I have to hit driver on every hole.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > My favorite kinds of courses are ones you can make decisions on - Ie a hole could be played aggressive with driver but still possible to make a par by taking an iron. I usually find the links style courses tend to offer more of this as the heavily tree lines courses, if they are more narrow, tend to be pretty much 1 club off the tee type of lay outs.

> > > > >

> > > > > You've described Crystal Springs to a tee. A lot of decisions to be made. Wild Turkey, Ballyowen? Not so much. More grip it and rip types.

> > > >

> > > > Nice! That's why I like Neshanic so much, a lot of the holes you can play 2 or even 3 different ways depending on wind or how you're feeling that day. Sounds like BB and CS will be my front runners for now.

> > >

> > > let me know when you wanna play CS or BB!!!! CS is one of my favorite tracks b/c of how much importance it puts on tee shots and placement. BB is similar just a smaller version if you will.

> >

> > Black Bear actually gives me more problems than CS, believe it or not.

>

> oh i can understand. you get a little left/right at BB and you can definitely add it up quick. i've actually hit more 3 and 4 irons at black bear than driver/3w's...BB is juuuuuust tight enough to give you trouble on an off day.

Is it like Warren Brook? Really dislike that course, every hole is like a 4i or 3i for me except that weird par 5 where I hit like a 8i or 9i off the tee. Missing fairways and greens really screws me there... especially because I hit draws and it seems like every green and fairway slopes left to right. Can't tell you how many times I hit irons and hit off a slope next to green and got rejected into the long grass/fescue. For some reason I just don't enjoy playing there.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > > > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > > > > > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > > > > > > > > Does anyone know if Crystal Springs is punching the greens for Black Bear or Wild Turkey this week? I'm looking at Tee times for Saturday and both courses are showing a 28 to 35% discount. This screams aerated greens, also, it's just that time of the year. A necessary evil I suppose.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > IDK but yep this is prime punching time. I'm a horrible putter anyway, I'd 100% take a 35% discount to play those courses on punched greens.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Edit: Also thinking of making a full day trip up to Crystal possibly late this month or sometime next month. Gonna take the day off of work to go so looking to play 36 - out of Ballyowen, Wild Turkey or Black Bear, which two would you pick and why?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Wild Turkey and Black Bear out of those 3. Ballyowen and Wild Turkey, are almost identical, but I think Wild Turkey, just has more memorable and interesting holes. Ballyowen, IMO, is a little bland. Black Bear, I like the flow of it and it's very gettable.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > My personal favorite and I admit I'm a **** with this, is the Crystal Springs course. Probably because I don't feel that I have to hit driver on every hole.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > My favorite kinds of courses are ones you can make decisions on - Ie a hole could be played aggressive with driver but still possible to make a par by taking an iron. I usually find the links style courses tend to offer more of this as the heavily tree lines courses, if they are more narrow, tend to be pretty much 1 club off the tee type of lay outs.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You've described Crystal Springs to a tee. A lot of decisions to be made. Wild Turkey, Ballyowen? Not so much. More grip it and rip types.

> > > > >

> > > > > Nice! That's why I like Neshanic so much, a lot of the holes you can play 2 or even 3 different ways depending on wind or how you're feeling that day. Sounds like BB and CS will be my front runners for now.

> > > >

> > > > let me know when you wanna play CS or BB!!!! CS is one of my favorite tracks b/c of how much importance it puts on tee shots and placement. BB is similar just a smaller version if you will.

> > >

> > > Black Bear actually gives me more problems than CS, believe it or not.

> >

> > oh i can understand. you get a little left/right at BB and you can definitely add it up quick. i've actually hit more 3 and 4 irons at black bear than driver/3w's...BB is juuuuuust tight enough to give you trouble on an off day.

>

> Is it like Warren Brook? Really dislike that course, every hole is like a 4i or 3i for me except that weird par 5 where I hit like a 8i or 9i off the tee. Missing fairways and greens really screws me there... especially because I hit draws and it seems like every green and fairway slopes left to right. Can't tell you how many times I hit irons and hit off a slope next to green and got rejected into the long grass/fescue. For some reason I just don't enjoy playing there.

haven't played warren brook in a very long time -- so i don't remember any of the holes. at BB, if you miss fairways you have nothing but woods -- and virtually no chance of hitting it out if you do find it. if you play a draw (conservative one i mean - talkin, 10-20' of curve) you would be good to hit driver on 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 10, 13, 16, 17, 18 respectively

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > > > > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > Does anyone know if Crystal Springs is punching the greens for Black Bear or Wild Turkey this week? I'm looking at Tee times for Saturday and both courses are showing a 28 to 35% discount. This screams aerated greens, also, it's just that time of the year. A necessary evil I suppose.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > IDK but yep this is prime punching time. I'm a horrible putter anyway, I'd 100% take a 35% discount to play those courses on punched greens.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Edit: Also thinking of making a full day trip up to Crystal possibly late this month or sometime next month. Gonna take the day off of work to go so looking to play 36 - out of Ballyowen, Wild Turkey or Black Bear, which two would you pick and why?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Wild Turkey and Black Bear out of those 3. Ballyowen and Wild Turkey, are almost identical, but I think Wild Turkey, just has more memorable and interesting holes. Ballyowen, IMO, is a little bland. Black Bear, I like the flow of it and it's very gettable.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > My personal favorite and I admit I'm a **** with this, is the Crystal Springs course. Probably because I don't feel that I have to hit driver on every hole.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > My favorite kinds of courses are ones you can make decisions on - Ie a hole could be played aggressive with driver but still possible to make a par by taking an iron. I usually find the links style courses tend to offer more of this as the heavily tree lines courses, if they are more narrow, tend to be pretty much 1 club off the tee type of lay outs.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You've described Crystal Springs to a tee. A lot of decisions to be made. Wild Turkey, Ballyowen? Not so much. More grip it and rip types.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Nice! That's why I like Neshanic so much, a lot of the holes you can play 2 or even 3 different ways depending on wind or how you're feeling that day. Sounds like BB and CS will be my front runners for now.

> > > > >

> > > > > let me know when you wanna play CS or BB!!!! CS is one of my favorite tracks b/c of how much importance it puts on tee shots and placement. BB is similar just a smaller version if you will.

> > > >

> > > > Black Bear actually gives me more problems than CS, believe it or not.

> > >

> > > oh i can understand. you get a little left/right at BB and you can definitely add it up quick. i've actually hit more 3 and 4 irons at black bear than driver/3w's...BB is juuuuuust tight enough to give you trouble on an off day.

> >

> > Is it like Warren Brook? Really dislike that course, every hole is like a 4i or 3i for me except that weird par 5 where I hit like a 8i or 9i off the tee. Missing fairways and greens really screws me there... especially because I hit draws and it seems like every green and fairway slopes left to right. Can't tell you how many times I hit irons and hit off a slope next to green and got rejected into the long grass/fescue. For some reason I just don't enjoy playing there.

>

> haven't played warren brook in a very long time -- so i don't remember any of the holes. at BB, if you miss fairways you have nothing but woods -- and virtually no chance of hitting it out if you do find it. if you play a draw (conservative one i mean - talkin, 10-20' of curve) you would be good to hit driver on 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 10, 13, 16, 17, 18 respectively

That's Warren lol. Only holes with "safe" miss spots are off the top of my head are like 1, 16 and 18. The rest your ball will go ping-pong'ing in the trees and if you do find it, you can only go sideways. Greens themselves are pretty flat but many of them have slopes on either side such that if you hit the slope, you get a nice kick into some junk - many times losing the ball.

I don't mind that kind of golf but rocks/trees 10ft off the fairway is kind of meh for a player like me. I played that kind of target golf in Aruba but the fairways were at least generous.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > Does anyone know if Crystal Springs is punching the greens for Black Bear or Wild Turkey this week? I'm looking at Tee times for Saturday and both courses are showing a 28 to 35% discount. This screams aerated greens, also, it's just that time of the year. A necessary evil I suppose.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > IDK but yep this is prime punching time. I'm a horrible putter anyway, I'd 100% take a 35% discount to play those courses on punched greens.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > Edit: Also thinking of making a full day trip up to Crystal possibly late this month or sometime next month. Gonna take the day off of work to go so looking to play 36 - out of Ballyowen, Wild Turkey or Black Bear, which two would you pick and why?

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Wild Turkey and Black Bear out of those 3. Ballyowen and Wild Turkey, are almost identical, but I think Wild Turkey, just has more memorable and interesting holes. Ballyowen, IMO, is a little bland. Black Bear, I like the flow of it and it's very gettable.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > My personal favorite and I admit I'm a **** with this, is the Crystal Springs course. Probably because I don't feel that I have to hit driver on every hole.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > My favorite kinds of courses are ones you can make decisions on - Ie a hole could be played aggressive with driver but still possible to make a par by taking an iron. I usually find the links style courses tend to offer more of this as the heavily tree lines courses, if they are more narrow, tend to be pretty much 1 club off the tee type of lay outs.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > You've described Crystal Springs to a tee. A lot of decisions to be made. Wild Turkey, Ballyowen? Not so much. More grip it and rip types.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Nice! That's why I like Neshanic so much, a lot of the holes you can play 2 or even 3 different ways depending on wind or how you're feeling that day. Sounds like BB and CS will be my front runners for now.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > let me know when you wanna play CS or BB!!!! CS is one of my favorite tracks b/c of how much importance it puts on tee shots and placement. BB is similar just a smaller version if you will.

> > > > >

> > > > > Black Bear actually gives me more problems than CS, believe it or not.

> > > >

> > > > oh i can understand. you get a little left/right at BB and you can definitely add it up quick. i've actually hit more 3 and 4 irons at black bear than driver/3w's...BB is juuuuuust tight enough to give you trouble on an off day.

> > >

> > > Is it like Warren Brook? Really dislike that course, every hole is like a 4i or 3i for me except that weird par 5 where I hit like a 8i or 9i off the tee. Missing fairways and greens really screws me there... especially because I hit draws and it seems like every green and fairway slopes left to right. Can't tell you how many times I hit irons and hit off a slope next to green and got rejected into the long grass/fescue. For some reason I just don't enjoy playing there.

> >

> > haven't played warren brook in a very long time -- so i don't remember any of the holes. at BB, if you miss fairways you have nothing but woods -- and virtually no chance of hitting it out if you do find it. if you play a draw (conservative one i mean - talkin, 10-20' of curve) you would be good to hit driver on 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 10, 13, 16, 17, 18 respectively

>

> That's Warren lol. Only holes with "safe" miss spots are off the top of my head are like 1, 16 and 18. The rest your ball will go ping-pong'ing in the trees and if you do find it, you can only go sideways. Greens themselves are pretty flat but many of them have slopes on either side such that if you hit the slope, you get a nice kick into some junk - many times losing the ball.

>

> I don't mind that kind of golf but rocks/trees 10ft off the fairway is kind of meh for a player like me. I played that kind of target golf in Aruba but the fairways were at least generous.

On the other hand, Crystal Springs is deceivingly open. And what do I mean by this? Well, you go to hole #2 as an example, and as you see from the picture below, that tee shot looks open. But the reality is, it isn't. Right and you're dead and left, yes, you could survive it, but you're left with a nasty lie, blind shot and possibly a bad angle.

ret72g7d7jbl.jpg

> @golfer07840 said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > > > > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > Does anyone know if Crystal Springs is punching the greens for Black Bear or Wild Turkey this week? I'm looking at Tee times for Saturday and both courses are showing a 28 to 35% discount. This screams aerated greens, also, it's just that time of the year. A necessary evil I suppose.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > IDK but yep this is prime punching time. I'm a horrible putter anyway, I'd 100% take a 35% discount to play those courses on punched greens.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > Edit: Also thinking of making a full day trip up to Crystal possibly late this month or sometime next month. Gonna take the day off of work to go so looking to play 36 - out of Ballyowen, Wild Turkey or Black Bear, which two would you pick and why?

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > Wild Turkey and Black Bear out of those 3. Ballyowen and Wild Turkey, are almost identical, but I think Wild Turkey, just has more memorable and interesting holes. Ballyowen, IMO, is a little bland. Black Bear, I like the flow of it and it's very gettable.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > My personal favorite and I admit I'm a **** with this, is the Crystal Springs course. Probably because I don't feel that I have to hit driver on every hole.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > My favorite kinds of courses are ones you can make decisions on - Ie a hole could be played aggressive with driver but still possible to make a par by taking an iron. I usually find the links style courses tend to offer more of this as the heavily tree lines courses, if they are more narrow, tend to be pretty much 1 club off the tee type of lay outs.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > You've described Crystal Springs to a tee. A lot of decisions to be made. Wild Turkey, Ballyowen? Not so much. More grip it and rip types.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Nice! That's why I like Neshanic so much, a lot of the holes you can play 2 or even 3 different ways depending on wind or how you're feeling that day. Sounds like BB and CS will be my front runners for now.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > let me know when you wanna play CS or BB!!!! CS is one of my favorite tracks b/c of how much importance it puts on tee shots and placement. BB is similar just a smaller version if you will.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Black Bear actually gives me more problems than CS, believe it or not.

> > > > >

> > > > > oh i can understand. you get a little left/right at BB and you can definitely add it up quick. i've actually hit more 3 and 4 irons at black bear than driver/3w's...BB is juuuuuust tight enough to give you trouble on an off day.

> > > >

> > > > Is it like Warren Brook? Really dislike that course, every hole is like a 4i or 3i for me except that weird par 5 where I hit like a 8i or 9i off the tee. Missing fairways and greens really screws me there... especially because I hit draws and it seems like every green and fairway slopes left to right. Can't tell you how many times I hit irons and hit off a slope next to green and got rejected into the long grass/fescue. For some reason I just don't enjoy playing there.

> > >

> > > haven't played warren brook in a very long time -- so i don't remember any of the holes. at BB, if you miss fairways you have nothing but woods -- and virtually no chance of hitting it out if you do find it. if you play a draw (conservative one i mean - talkin, 10-20' of curve) you would be good to hit driver on 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 10, 13, 16, 17, 18 respectively

> >

> > That's Warren lol. Only holes with "safe" miss spots are off the top of my head are like 1, 16 and 18. The rest your ball will go ping-pong'ing in the trees and if you do find it, you can only go sideways. Greens themselves are pretty flat but many of them have slopes on either side such that if you hit the slope, you get a nice kick into some junk - many times losing the ball.

> >

> > I don't mind that kind of golf but rocks/trees 10ft off the fairway is kind of meh for a player like me. I played that kind of target golf in Aruba but the fairways were at least generous.

>

> On the other hand, Crystal Springs is deceivingly open. And what do I mean by this? Well, you go to hole #2 as an example, and as you see from the picture below, that tee shot looks open. But the reality is, it isn't. Right and you're dead and left, yes, you could survive it, but you're left with a nasty lie, blind shot and possibly a bad angle.

>

> ret72g7d7jbl.jpg

>

you can hit the fairway at crystal and still have a tough lie. ie the par 5 9th hole -- hit something in the fairway and you could either have a ball above, below, uphill, downhill or a combination of any -- due to elephant humps/bumps in the fairways.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @golfer07840 said:

> > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > Does anyone know if Crystal Springs is punching the greens for Black Bear or Wild Turkey this week? I'm looking at Tee times for Saturday and both courses are showing a 28 to 35% discount. This screams aerated greens, also, it's just that time of the year. A necessary evil I suppose.

> > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > IDK but yep this is prime punching time. I'm a horrible putter anyway, I'd 100% take a 35% discount to play those courses on punched greens.

> > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > Edit: Also thinking of making a full day trip up to Crystal possibly late this month or sometime next month. Gonna take the day off of work to go so looking to play 36 - out of Ballyowen, Wild Turkey or Black Bear, which two would you pick and why?

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > Wild Turkey and Black Bear out of those 3. Ballyowen and Wild Turkey, are almost identical, but I think Wild Turkey, just has more memorable and interesting holes. Ballyowen, IMO, is a little bland. Black Bear, I like the flow of it and it's very gettable.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > My personal favorite and I admit I'm a **** with this, is the Crystal Springs course. Probably because I don't feel that I have to hit driver on every hole.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > My favorite kinds of courses are ones you can make decisions on - Ie a hole could be played aggressive with driver but still possible to make a par by taking an iron. I usually find the links style courses tend to offer more of this as the heavily tree lines courses, if they are more narrow, tend to be pretty much 1 club off the tee type of lay outs.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > You've described Crystal Springs to a tee. A lot of decisions to be made. Wild Turkey, Ballyowen? Not so much. More grip it and rip types.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Nice! That's why I like Neshanic so much, a lot of the holes you can play 2 or even 3 different ways depending on wind or how you're feeling that day. Sounds like BB and CS will be my front runners for now.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > let me know when you wanna play CS or BB!!!! CS is one of my favorite tracks b/c of how much importance it puts on tee shots and placement. BB is similar just a smaller version if you will.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Black Bear actually gives me more problems than CS, believe it or not.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > oh i can understand. you get a little left/right at BB and you can definitely add it up quick. i've actually hit more 3 and 4 irons at black bear than driver/3w's...BB is juuuuuust tight enough to give you trouble on an off day.

> > > > >

> > > > > Is it like Warren Brook? Really dislike that course, every hole is like a 4i or 3i for me except that weird par 5 where I hit like a 8i or 9i off the tee. Missing fairways and greens really screws me there... especially because I hit draws and it seems like every green and fairway slopes left to right. Can't tell you how many times I hit irons and hit off a slope next to green and got rejected into the long grass/fescue. For some reason I just don't enjoy playing there.

> > > >

> > > > haven't played warren brook in a very long time -- so i don't remember any of the holes. at BB, if you miss fairways you have nothing but woods -- and virtually no chance of hitting it out if you do find it. if you play a draw (conservative one i mean - talkin, 10-20' of curve) you would be good to hit driver on 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 10, 13, 16, 17, 18 respectively

> > >

> > > That's Warren lol. Only holes with "safe" miss spots are off the top of my head are like 1, 16 and 18. The rest your ball will go ping-pong'ing in the trees and if you do find it, you can only go sideways. Greens themselves are pretty flat but many of them have slopes on either side such that if you hit the slope, you get a nice kick into some junk - many times losing the ball.

> > >

> > > I don't mind that kind of golf but rocks/trees 10ft off the fairway is kind of meh for a player like me. I played that kind of target golf in Aruba but the fairways were at least generous.

> >

> > On the other hand, Crystal Springs is deceivingly open. And what do I mean by this? Well, you go to hole #2 as an example, and as you see from the picture below, that tee shot looks open. But the reality is, it isn't. Right and you're dead and left, yes, you could survive it, but you're left with a nasty lie, blind shot and possibly a bad angle.

> >

> > ret72g7d7jbl.jpg

> >

>

> you can hit the fairway at crystal and still have a tough lie. ie the par 5 9th hole -- hit something in the fairway and you could either have a ball above, below, uphill, downhill or a combination of any -- due to elephant humps/bumps in the fairways.

Reminds me of #9 on Neshanic Lake. From the box looks pretty flat and open but reality is left is dead, and if you go too far right, you get a nice little ball about 3-4 inches above your feet. If you lay back you get a flatter lie but like 0% chance of reaching the green in 2, and if you do decide to reach the bottom of the hill, you're talking like a 300+ yard drive where you also really can't miss left or right. That's what I like though... manyyy options. I usually hit my hybrid or 3w and just accept the ball is going to end up a little above my feet. Can usually reach the green or get in a bunker with another hybrid because ball above feet will help me get a low spin draw up there about 240-250. That;s... If I hit the ball well lol.

> @golfer07840 said:

> Does anyone know if Crystal Springs is punching the greens for Black Bear or Wild Turkey this week? I'm looking at Tee times for Saturday and both courses are showing a 28 to 35% discount. This screams aerated greens, also, it's just that time of the year. A necessary evil I suppose.

played black bear sunday, greens punched and sanded heavily.

> @endlesswinterco said:

> MD guy needs some help please! Traveling up to Summit for work in two weeks. Bringing the sticks. After googling, looks like I should be looking at Scotland Run, Neshanic Valley or architects. I checked out BallyOwen but didn’t look like tee times on the monday I can play. Driving from Baltimore but open to suggestions on where to play. Done all the AC courses and loved Skyway when I played last summer. Thanks for the help.

If this is not too late & if you are into classic architecture - check out two public courses in West Orange, about 20 minutes from Summit. First up - Rock Spring. Raynor design and was private until this year when the local city purchased it to run as open to public. Lots of really fun holes and character. Rumored that after next year they may sell some of the land or convert it to a park and only keep 9 holes, so I have been trying to play it as much as I can while it is in tact as a full 18.

A step down is Francis Byrne - Charles Banks design originally part of Essex County Country Club. The county runs the course and put a decent bit of money into restoring it, but this year they are ripping up the cool par-5 1st and the greens are always REALLY slow. Cool design tee to green though, but maybe not the one course to play on a trip up here.

Me and Gio are going to play bb and cs next Friday the 30th. Probably something like 9am for first 18 then 3pm for the second with lunch in between. I'm looking to book tomorrow so PM if interested so I can make sure we get the preferred times. First two guys to message me will get dibbs.

And fwiw I'm like a 12hc so as far as I'm concerned anybody is welcome.

> @cpeck said:

> > @golfer07840 said:

> > Does anyone know if Crystal Springs is punching the greens for Black Bear or Wild Turkey this week? I'm looking at Tee times for Saturday and both courses are showing a 28 to 35% discount. This screams aerated greens, also, it's just that time of the year. A necessary evil I suppose.

>

>

> played black bear sunday, greens punched and sanded heavily.

>

thanks for the info! --- hopefully in 2 weeks worth of growing it will be much better. i know they LOVE adding a ton of sand to their greens.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> UPDATE: Gio and I reserved 2 spots at CS for 9:20am and BB at 3:03pm, both on Aug 30. Looked like the other 2 spots on each time are still open, no idea how fast they fill up. If you decide to book, post here or something.

I just booked for the same 3:03 time at BB for myself. Hopefully, I'll be able to get out of work early enough and I'll know soon enough that if not, I can cancel it and give up the spot.

> @golfer07840 said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > UPDATE: Gio and I reserved 2 spots at CS for 9:20am and BB at 3:03pm, both on Aug 30. Looked like the other 2 spots on each time are still open, no idea how fast they fill up. If you decide to book, post here or something.

>

> I just booked for the same 3:03 time at BB for myself. Hopefully, I'll be able to get out of work early enough and I'll know soon enough that if not, I can cancel it and give up the spot.

Niceeee hopefully we'll be seeing you then.

> @gaffs said:

> Hey. I moved near Hoboken in March. Looking for some new golf buddies / groups - pref low teen / single figure handicappers. I play every weekend. I have a friend who is a good player in Hoboken but we could both do with meeting some new players. Our mates are hackers.

Hey gaffs - hit me up man. Also in Hoboken. I play quite a bit - usually drive up to an hour at this point and have a couple of buddies outside of Hudson county I meet up with or play with my wife, but definitely always looking for new groups to play with. I'm currently floating around a 4-5 handicap. Been in hoboken for over 7 years now so know the public courses in the area well at this point.