2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The Secret History of Tiger Woods -

socied

Saturday was the day to be scared of Tiger. If you were ahead of him going into Sunday in a major, you didn't have to worry as much.

Great quality to have. Unheard of closing stats,

http://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2015/08/22/tiger-woods-pga-tour-record-36-54-hole-lead-12650/

Woods has led or had a share of the lead after the first 36 holes of a PGA Tour event, converting 28 of 33 opportunities with the outright lead and nine of 14 with at least a share of the lead. All told, that's a 79 percent conversion rate and a 64 percent win rate with a share of the lead. (It also goes to tell you that 42 of Woods' 79 PGA Tour wins came without the lead after 36 holes.) In 2013, when Woods won five times, he won all three times he had at least a share of the 36-hole lead.

By comparison, since 2010, just 31 percent of 36-hole leaders have gone on to win.

Woods is also a perfect five-for-five in his career when he shoots 130 or less for the first two rounds. However, it's been eight years -- since the 2007 Tour Championship -- that Woods has done just that.

If Woods manages to hang on to the lead after three rounds of the Wyndham Championship, then he's practically a lock to win. In his PGA Tour career, Woods is 52-4 when holding a share of the 54-hole lead, including 41-2 when he's held it outright.

So if my math is correct, of his 79 tour wins, 27 have been 'come from behind' victories.

That alone puts him at 21st on the all time wins list. Not bad for a 'front runner'.

That's more wins than Norman, Floyd, Player, and Johnny Miller to name a few.

21st?

Maybe it *is* debatable if TW is in the top 5 of all time?

; )

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand what people are saying about 'closers' and 'winners' etc. I just think the world continues to evolve and sports become much more competitive year over year, and much more competitive at younger ages.

For one - the population has increased dramatically since the 1950s. I think the world population has like tripled - by billions and billions. Access to information and equipment has become much easier. Golf is less of an exclusive sport than it used to be. I think all that leads to everything being much more competitive now - than before. And I think that is true for all sports. If you look at the level 10 year olds are playing sports now - it is pretty impressive. For instance, basketball - 10 year old basketball players at the AAU level - are pretty impresive. It is safe to say that 10 year olds in the 1950 were not playing basketball at the level 10 years olds are now. I think all that bubbles up and means the pro levels are more competitive, higher level than ever before.

I don't say any of that to slight the historical giants of the game at all. My personal opinion is though - that it is harder to win now, than ever before - due to a bunch of factors. But if you look at #s only - it has to be harder to win now.

This doesn't really support my view or opinion(LMAO, when has that ever slowed me down ;) ) however I wouldn't feel right not disclosing it and again, it's only an opinion though one from someone who's "been there and doin it," as he has his card this year and who I'm speaking to is my tour Bud.

He's been on Tour since '92, snagged his first and only victory in 1994, when he beat a future HoFer in extra holes, and retained his card in 15 of the 23+ years that he's been out.

He stated emphatically that one, it is much more difficult to get that card today than it was in 1992 and secondly, it's much more difficult to get a victory today than in 1994, and he came close to his second in 2013, snagging a runner-up and falling one short of the Victor.

Ok, I'm out of my funk now!!!!

The fact that he's Played on Tour, Won on Tour and has forgotten more about the Game than I know doesn't mean S*** to me, hahaha

I'm on WRX, I'm a WXRer hense legitimate opinions and views don't mean a damn thing because it is so because I say it so :)

Oh, that and in my medicated mind one's tone of certainty means wayyyyyyyy more than their factual knowledge :)

Have a Great week BroMeisters :)

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I understand what people are saying about 'closers' and 'winners' etc. I just think the world continues to evolve and sports become much more competitive year over year, and much more competitive at younger ages.

For one - the population has increased dramatically since the 1950s. I think the world population has like tripled - by billions and billions. Access to information and equipment has become much easier. Golf is less of an exclusive sport than it used to be. I think all that leads to everything being much more competitive now - than before. And I think that is true for all sports. If you look at the level 10 year olds are playing sports now - it is pretty impressive. For instance, basketball - 10 year old basketball players at the AAU level - are pretty impresive. It is safe to say that 10 year olds in the 1950 were not playing basketball at the level 10 years olds are now. I think all that bubbles up and means the pro levels are more competitive, higher level than ever before.

I don't say any of that to slight the historical giants of the game at all. My personal opinion is though - that it is harder to win now, than ever before - due to a bunch of factors. But if you look at #s only - it has to be harder to win now.

This doesn't really support my view or opinion(LMAO, when has that ever slowed me down ;) ) however I wouldn't feel right not disclosing it and again, it's only an opinion though one from someone who's "been there and doin it," as he has his card this year and who I'm speaking to is my tour Bud.

He's been on Tour since '92, snagged his first and only victory in 1994, when he beat a future HoFer in extra holes, and retained his card in 15 of the 23+ years that he's been out.

He stated emphatically that one, it is much more difficult to get that card today than it was in 1992 and secondly, it's much more difficult to get a victory today than in 1994, and he came close to his second in 2013, snagging a runner-up and falling one short of the Victor.

Ok, I'm out of my funk now!!!!

The fact that he's Played on Tour, Won on Tour and has forgotten more about the Game than I know doesn't mean S*** to me, hahaha

I'm on WRX, I'm a WXRer hense legitimate opinions and views don't mean a damn thing because it is so because I say it so :)

Oh, that and in my medicated mind one's tone of certainty means wayyyyyyyy more than their factual knowledge :)

Have a Great week BroMeisters :)

All the Best,

RP

What the hell would he know. Here, I'll be on your side. He said it's harder than it was in 1992. Not harder than when those titans of the game played. You know, those guys before Jack that really won a lot. :)

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

Yeah, those tournaments when Jack was battling Arnie and Watson were fun to watch.

Tom Watson never won the PGA Champ.

No career grand slam.

One US Open. Two Masters.

Tiger Woods-

3 Career Grand Slams

3 US Opens

3 Open Championsips

4 PGA Championships

4 Masters

*bonus question: who did Tom Watson lose to in his only runner up for a PGA Champ? Was is jack, trevino, gary?

Watson had a 5 shot lead to start the final round. He shot a 73 and lost in a playoff to

John Maheffey.

Tom Watson

Major Championships:

• Masters: 1977, 1981

• U.S. Open: 1982

• British Open: 1975, 1977, 1980, 1982, 1983

Awards and Honors:

• Member, World Golf Hall of Fame

• PGA Tour money leader, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1984

• PGA Tour Vardon Trophy winner, 1977, 1978, 1979

• PGA Tour Player of the Year, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1984

not bad

Watson was a fantastic player. The point is that Jack wasn't battling Palmer and Watson at the same time. Watson won his first Major in 1977. Palmer won his last in 1964.

agreed. the point was jack's head to head rivals over his career far outweigh tigers

Saturday was the day to be scared of Tiger. If you were ahead of him going into Sunday in a major, you didn't have to worry as much.

http://thegolfnewsne...ole-lead-12650/

Woods has led or had a share of the lead after the first 36 holes of a PGA Tour event, converting 28 of 33 opportunities with the outright lead and nine of 14 with at least a share of the lead. All told, that's a 79 percent conversion rate and a 64 percent win rate with a share of the lead. (It also goes to tell you that 42 of Woods' 79 PGA Tour wins came without the lead after 36 holes.) In 2013, when Woods won five times, he won all three times he had at least a share of the 36-hole lead.

By comparison, since 2010, just 31 percent of 36-hole leaders have gone on to win.

Woods is also a perfect five-for-five in his career when he shoots 130 or less for the first two rounds. However, it's been eight years -- since the 2007 Tour Championship -- that Woods has done just that.

If Woods manages to hang on to the lead after three rounds of the Wyndham Championship, then he's practically a lock to win. In his PGA Tour career, Woods is 52-4 when holding a share of the 54-hole lead, including 41-2 when he's held it outright.

So if my math is correct, of his 79 tour wins, 27 have been 'come from behind' victories.

That alone puts him at 21st on the all time wins list. Not bad for a 'front runner'.

Every single great player for the last 50 years – every last one of them – had a Sunday where they came off the pace and won. Nicklaus came from behind eight times on Sunday through the years. Yeah. Eight. He was 22 years old when he trailed Arnold Palmer by two shots at Oakmont, the U.S. Open, and he came back and won in a playoff. He was 46 when he went into Sunday at Augusta down four shots and in a seven-way tie for ninth place.

Arnold Palmer came from seven back at the 1960 U.S. Open in Cherry Hills and it is the summit of his extraordinary career.* Gary Player came back four times, his most thrilling being the 64 he shot on Sunday at the 1978 Masters to overcome a seven-shot deficit. Tom Watson twice came back from three back at the British Open. Nick Faldo won the 1989 Masters from five back and the 1996 Masters from six back (when Greg Norman collapsed). And so on.

*It is amazing to me that for Palmer – who is known for the Sunday charge – it is the only time in his career that he came back to win a major in the final round.

All of the great ones have come from behind to win. All of them have had a miraculous Sunday when they took chances and pushed the limits and knocked down some flagsticks and made some crazy putts. In most cases, these are the rounds that are best remembered.

But Tiger Woods – the extraordinary Tiger Woods – has not yet done it. Oh, sure, he’s had some astounding Sunday battles (like his playoff with Bob May at the PGA) and he has hit some legendary Sunday shots (like the chip-in at 16 at Augusta). But all of them have come when he had some measure of control. all 14 of his major championships have come from the 54-hole lead. This makes him the best closer in the history of sports (Mariano Rivera included).

But no Sunday comebacks? Not one? It seems impossible. But it’s true. I’ve heard people say he’s not the Sunday player he used to be. But even the young Tiger Woods never came back to win. He came close one time, in 2002, at the PGA Championship at Hazeltine, when he entered Sunday down five and shot a brilliant 67 at the PGA Championship. He fell one shot short of Rich Beem, who had the day and tournament of his life. But Woods was pretty magical that day.

Since then? No. He has not come from behind and, for the most part, he has not even scared the leaders when he was not ONE of the leaders. A few examples:

• In 2003, he was four shots back at Augusta heading into the final round of the Masters. He blew up, shot 75, and fell off the leaderboard while Mike Weir shot 68 and won in a playoff (and Len Mattiace shot SIXTY-FIVE to get in that playoff).

• Same year, at the British Open at Royal St. George’s, he was two shots off the lead going into Sunday. He shot 71, even par, and Ben Curtis – who also went into the final day down two strokes – shot better and won.

• At the 2005 U.S. Open, Woods did charge a bit, but only after a bogey-bogey start doomed him, and he fell two shots short of Michael Campbell.

• At the 2006 Masters, he trailed Phil Mickelson by two entering Sunday, but could not keep a round going and he shot 70 and finished tied for third, three back.

• At the 2007 Masters, he went into Sunday down just one shot, and could only manage par as Zach Johnson (who went into Sunday down two shots) passed him and got the green jacket.

• At the 2007 U.S. Open at Oakmont, Woods trailed by two, shot 2 over par, and was passed by Angel Cabrera.

• At the 2010 Masters, he was four behind Lee Westwood going into the final round, and he shot a solid 69, but Phil Mickelson shot a breathtaking 67 and won.

There are more. You cannot really expect any golfer – even one as great as Tiger Woods – to be extraordinary on a specific Sunday.

Every single great player for the last 50 years – every last one of them – had a Sunday where they came off the pace and won. Nicklaus came from behind eight times on Sunday through the years. Yeah. Eight. He was 22 years old when he trailed Arnold Palmer by two shots at Oakmont, the U.S. Open, and he came back and won in a playoff. He was 46 when he went into Sunday at Augusta down four shots and in a seven-way tie for ninth place.

Arnold Palmer came from seven back at the 1960 U.S. Open in Cherry Hills and it is the summit of his extraordinary career.* Gary Player came back four times, his most thrilling being the 64 he shot on Sunday at the 1978 Masters to overcome a seven-shot deficit. Tom Watson twice came back from three back at the British Open. Nick Faldo won the 1989 Masters from five back and the 1996 Masters from six back (when Greg Norman collapsed). And so on.

*It is amazing to me that for Palmer – who is known for the Sunday charge – it is the only time in his career that he came back to win a major in the final round.

All of the great ones have come from behind to win. All of them have had a miraculous Sunday when they took chances and pushed the limits and knocked down some flagsticks and made some crazy putts. In most cases, these are the rounds that are best remembered.

But Tiger Woods – the extraordinary Tiger Woods – has not yet done it. Oh, sure, he’s had some astounding Sunday battles (like his playoff with Bob May at the PGA) and he has hit some legendary Sunday shots (like the chip-in at 16 at Augusta). But all of them have come when he had some measure of control. all 14 of his major championships have come from the 54-hole lead. This makes him the best closer in the history of sports (Mariano Rivera included).

But no Sunday comebacks? Not one? It seems impossible. But it’s true. I’ve heard people say he’s not the Sunday player he used to be. But even the young Tiger Woods never came back to win. He came close one time, in 2002, at the PGA Championship at Hazeltine, when he entered Sunday down five and shot a brilliant 67 at the PGA Championship. He fell one shot short of Rich Beem, who had the day and tournament of his life. But Woods was pretty magical that day.

Since then? No. He has not come from behind and, for the most part, he has not even scared the leaders when he was not ONE of the leaders. A few examples:

• In 2003, he was four shots back at Augusta heading into the final round of the Masters. He blew up, shot 75, and fell off the leaderboard while Mike Weir shot 68 and won in a playoff (and Len Mattiace shot SIXTY-FIVE to get in that playoff).

• Same year, at the British Open at Royal St. George’s, he was two shots off the lead going into Sunday. He shot 71, even par, and Ben Curtis – who also went into the final day down two strokes – shot better and won.

• At the 2005 U.S. Open, Woods did charge a bit, but only after a bogey-bogey start doomed him, and he fell two shots short of Michael Campbell.

• At the 2006 Masters, he trailed Phil Mickelson by two entering Sunday, but could not keep a round going and he shot 70 and finished tied for third, three back.

• At the 2007 Masters, he went into Sunday down just one shot, and could only manage par as Zach Johnson (who went into Sunday down two shots) passed him and got the green jacket.

• At the 2007 U.S. Open at Oakmont, Woods trailed by two, shot 2 over par, and was passed by Angel Cabrera.

• At the 2010 Masters, he was four behind Lee Westwood going into the final round, and he shot a solid 69, but Phil Mickelson shot a breathtaking 67 and won.

There are more. You cannot really expect any golfer – even one as great as Tiger Woods – to be extraordinary on a specific Sunday.

Now THIS is an excellent post!!

For me, my favorite posts, aside from when someone agrees with me or tells me how great I am is one where I actually learn something.

I learned quite a bit from this post-

Thank You!

Nicely Played!!

Have a great week :)

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

So it's more impressive to be Palmer, and come from behind once and blow quite a few majors than to get ahead and stay ahead but not come from behind? And oh yeah, win 7 majors compared to 14?

So it's more impressive to be Palmer, and come from behind once and blow quite a few majors than to get ahead and stay ahead but not come from behind? And oh yeah, win 7 majors compared to 14?

it must be comforting in majors to know you have at least a 1 shot lead over tiger in the final round.

Absolutely. That generally means you have been playing very well. And if you think any player felt comfortable with a one shot lead on Tiger in a major I'll have some of what you're smoking.

it must be comforting in majors to know you have at least a 1 shot lead over tiger in the final round.

Absolutely. That generally means you have been playing very well. And if you think any player felt comfortable with a one shot lead on Tiger in a major I'll have some of what you're smoking.

based on real life, comebacks aren't tigers forte, that's all im saying..... and I only share with people who are nice :)

Ok, I'm probably gonna get shellacked for saying this however it's just my feelings so if I must be crucified for my beliefs, so be it.

Far greater men and women than I have sacrificed so that those that follow may walk in peace and without fear of oral or physical retribution.

Along with Bob Jones, I believe that Arnie is THE most overrated Player in the Top-10 lists that include him.

No, I'm not putting a flame suit on-

I want to smell my flesh burn :)

Have a Great week Gents :)

Golfingly Yours,

RP

But Tiger Woods – the extraordinary Tiger Woods – has not yet done it. Oh, sure, he's had some astounding Sunday battles (like his playoff with Bob May at the PGA) and he has hit some legendary Sunday shots (like the chip-in at 16 at Augusta). But all of them have come when he had some measure of control. all 14 of his major championships have come from the 54-hole lead. This makes him the best closer in the history of sports (Mariano Rivera included).

But no Sunday comebacks? Not one? It seems impossible. But it's true. I've heard people say he's not the Sunday player he used to be. But even the young Tiger Woods never came back to win. He came close one time, in 2002, at the PGA Championship at Hazeltine, when he entered Sunday down five and shot a brilliant 67 at the PGA Championship. He fell one shot short of Rich Beem, who had the day and tournament of his life. But Woods was pretty magical that day.

• Same year, at the British Open at Royal St. George's, he was two shots off the lead going into Sunday. He shot 71, even par, and Ben Curtis – who also went into the final day down two strokes – shot better and won.

Now THIS is an excellent post!!

For me, my favorite posts, aside from when someone agrees with me or tells me how great I am is one where I actually learn something.

I learned quite a bit from this post-

Thank You!

Nicely Played!!

Have a great week :)

My Best,

Richard

I don't know...facts just confuse me.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

62 wins (5th all time) and 7 majors? as big as Arnie is with everything else he has done in life, I cant see how he is over rated...

From wikipedia

Palmer's most prolific years were 1960–1963, when he won 29 PGA Tour events, including five major tournament victories, in four seasons. In 1960, he won the Hickok Belt as the top professional athlete of the year and Sports Illustrated magazine's "Sportsman of the Year" award. He built up a wide fan base, often referred to as "Arnie's Army", and in 1967 he became the first man to reach one million dollars in career earnings on the PGA Tour. By the late 1960s Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player had both acquired clear ascendancy in their rivalry, but Palmer won a PGA Tour event every year from 1955 to 1971 inclusive, and in 1971 he enjoyed a revival, winning four events.

Ok, I'm probably gonna get shellacked for saying this however it's just my feelings so if I must be crucified for my beliefs, so be it.

Far greater men and women than I have sacrificed so that those that follow may walk in peace and without fear of oral or physical retribution.

"If I must get crucified for my beliefs, so be it"... "Far greater men and women than I have sacrificed"....."Ones that follow....Walk in peace.....Oral and physical retribution....OMG are you a drama queen, hahahahaha. And what's overrated about 62 victories and 7 majors?!?!?!? "I want to smell my flesh burn"........OMG!! Lovingly, M

"If I must get crucified for my beliefs, so be it"... "Far greater men and women than I have sacrificed"....."Ones that follow....Walk in peace.....Oral and physical retribution....OMG are you a drama queen, hahahahaha. And what's overrated about 62 victories and 7 majors?!?!?!? "I want to smell my flesh burn"........OMG!! Lovingly, M

I don't know how you can put Arnie in the overrated category? 62 wins and 7 majors. And you don't really here his name in the discussions of best player ever. That's reserved for Jack, Tiger, Nelson, Snead, Hogan. Most popular players ever? Maybe number 1 on that list.

If we talk overrated, I would think in the modern era that would be your Luke Donald, Lee Westwood, Dustin Johnson. The guys who are always up there but can't win the majors....Yet anyway.

Yeah, those tournaments when Jack was battling Arnie and Watson were fun to watch.

No career grand slam.

Tiger Woods-

3 Career Grand Slams

3 US Opens

3 Open Championsips

4 PGA Championships

4 Masters

*bonus question: who did Tom Watson lose to in his only runner up for a PGA Champ? Was is jack, trevino, gary?

Watson had a 5 shot lead to start the final round. He shot a 73 and lost in a playoff to

John Maheffey.

Tom Watson

Major Championships:

Awards and Honors:

not bad

Watson was a fantastic player. The point is that Jack wasn't battling Palmer and Watson at the same time. Watson won his first Major in 1977. Palmer won his last in 1964.

agreed. the point was jack's head to head rivals over his career far outweigh tigers

Now that I agree with. Today's players are in much better shape so yeah, they are outweighed by many, make it most, of Jack's rivals. :)

Lee Trevino,

"I bite my lip every time I say this -- Tiger's better"

"Jack was a mechanic with his driver, great with his irons -- especially long irons, high -- and he was an excellent putter.

He wasn't very good with his short game or the bunkers.

But Tiger from 100 yards in, with the wedges and the chipping and the creativity, is as good as anyone who has ever lived. Usually the harder the shot, the better shot he hits.

That makes up for so much, and that's where Tiger gets the edge on Jack."

http://espn.go.com/golf/columns/story?id=4667861

Along with Bob Jones, I believe that Arnie is THE most overrated Player in the Top-10 lists that include him.

No, I'm not putting a flame suit on-

Have a Great week Gents :)

Golfingly Yours,

RP

I'll say this. During his prime Arnie got er done. He was by far the best player in the game.

However when Jack came along, when he quit smoking, when he started paying more attention to his buddies and the pretty ladies in the gallery he lost his edge and quit winning majors. Maybe the competition got better, maybe he lost his ability to putt or maybe he was just happy being Arnie and running his empire and flying his planes but his prime did not last that long.

Arnie was a great player but if you're just looking at the record I would say he was barely top 10 all time. Not bad though.

I still think Jones was a natural genius at the game. Not the best ever but the best of his era. Yeah Hagan cleaned his clock in some matches, but no one including Hagan could take him in stroke play when he was on. His record in the US open and the British speak for themselves.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Nicklaus finished second in 19 majors, and Woods has six runner-up results. Nicklaus had 48 top-three finishes at Slams, twice as many as Woods.

Tiger himself says it

"He's the greatest champion that's ever lived," Woods said of Nicklaus after winning the Memorial in 2012. Part of that was the standard lip service you pay to Nicklaus after winning his tournament, but part of it is knowing only one stat matters.

out of the 14 golfers who have more than 5 majors, Nicklaus faced more than half....tiger.....1

I just meant in the Top-10 discussions and I was only speaking to his game, not what he meant to the game, which from that standpoint, he is arguably THE greatest and most influential Player of All-Time.

However you guys are right. Hes definitely in that Top-10

Fairways & Greens My Friends,

RP

Hater.......

AML,

Me

Nicklaus finished second in 19 majors, and Woods has six runner-up results. Nicklaus had 48 top-three finishes at Slams, twice as many as Woods.

Tiger himself says it

"He's the greatest champion that's ever lived," Woods said of Nicklaus after winning the Memorial in 2012. Part of that was the standard lip service you pay to Nicklaus after winning his tournament, but part of it is knowing only one stat matters.

out of the 14 golfers who have more than 5 majors, Nicklaus faced more than half....tiger.....1

Tom Watson to Jack Nicklaus,

"He's the best"

(Watson is talking about Tiger Woods, not Patrick Reed ; )

Tiger himself says it

If Tiger had that many seconds and thirds guys would be saying he couldn't close the deal consistently.

Hater.......

AML,

Me

So I'm watching the end of web.com playing a 4 cd compilation of C,S &N and reading this thread when you blow up Arnie - right when "I Used To Be A King" tracks up on the cd. Shoot, didn't we all?

Be well.

No career grand slam.

Tiger Woods-

3 Career Grand Slams

3 US Opens

3 Open Championsips

4 PGA Championships

4 Masters

John Maheffey.

Tom Watson

Major Championships:

Awards and Honors:

not bad

You're basing that on Jacks whole career. Tiger is 40, so you should compare to when Jack was 40, which was 1980.

Watson had 3 Majors

Floyd had 2.

Trevino had 5 Majors

Seve had just won his 2nd

Player had 9 majors. He had 7 when Jack was a pro.

Was Jack really battling it out and trading majors with the top contenders every year?