2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

The Secret History of Tiger Woods -

socied

politics? really?

Jack, with a little luck could have won 30 majors.....the competition was so much greater during his time as well. I think Tiger is satisfied with 14 majors and being a top 5 golfer of all time....most people would be happy with that......

Jack stands alone, high above the rest.

Top 5? Haha.

I guess #2 is considered the top 5....

historians of the game don't put tiger over guys like bobby jones or Varden......some of the real old skool guys...

top 5 is great...its up for debate where he falls within the top 5.

I don't know if I'm old school however I put him aside one other Player-

Jack~ Greatest Champion

Tiger~ Greatest Player

Hell, Bob Jones was an Am, I don't care what he won-

He didn't have to play for his food or his children's clothes or the roof over his family's head-

His closest friends and confidants said after his 12&11 dismantling at the hands of Sir Walter, he decided to remain an Am and Play for S**** & Giggles-

Smart move, LMAO

He'd be in my Top-10 but no way my Top-5

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of Tiger's apparent lack of ability to work well with a team, has to be due to environment/experience.

Did he ever play another sport or do anything requiring a teammate? Not that I know of. All of his success, entire life, and career is built on being able to do something really really well all by himself.

Outside of his parent's teaching, instructors, older player's advice...once you are on the course, it feels like all you and it is all you...why would he know how to be a good teammate? He never had to be.

My point is...I believe it would take some serious adustment, but if he really wanted to become a great teammate, and he had to in order to get what he wanted...he would. It would just take a year or so immersion in a team building environment.

Tiger is/was a great golfer. No more no less. Doesn't mean he could be a seal, a neurosurgeon, lawyer, sculptor. He's a golfer.

There are guys who get cut from sports freshman year of high school and become outstanding seals. It's a different breed. No advantage that you are a great football player, golfer, soccer , etc. Unless you are Ted Williams of course.

We should ask ourselves, if we lived under the microscope that he does, how would we fare? In our everyday life, we may make the slightest mistake and people could take that and forever label you forever a cheapskate, phony, or whatever. Imagine this thread was about you and people are saying that you didn't play for yourself, or your daddy smothered you, you have no friends, etc. You'd read this and think "what the f#*k does this guy know about me." I have read this whole thread and I don't think I've seen a post from anybody who knows the man personally at all. Say he didn't golf. Maybe he would have been a terrific navy seal. Maybe he would ring the bell in the first 5 minutes. We don't know. But, because we think we know him as a golfer, we can speculate whether he could cut it or not.

I've only known one SEAL and he told me one time that although Hell Week was bad he never really felt that he wasn't going to make it and the surprising thing was some of the guys everyone thought were locks to making it ended up dropping.

Apparently there are a lot of serious injuries during training.

Can you imagine making it through training right to the very end and then breaking an ankle within a day or two of graduation? That would suck.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

Apparently there are a lot of serious injuries during training.

Can you imagine making it through training right to the very end and then breaking an ankle within a day or two of graduation? That would suck.

The Man the I referenced above who was a teammate of my Father's suffered a Talus fracture the second day that he ran, swam and walked on for almost two days during Hell Week however the doc called a halt less than 24 hours before they were secured, which would be like this afternoon with them being secured tomorrow morning-lunchtime.

He got "rolled over" into the next class and obviously made it.

The instructors wanted him to finish and while they made it no easier for him, and they did not, they let him go and his swim buddy(all trainees are paired and that's your swim buddy-If your swim buddy dies/drowns, you'd better die/drown with him, seriously) and others literally were on either side supporting him when the did the last 8.5 mile run which he completed and when they did the daily med-check shortly there after he got flagged and the doc was like "WTF," lol.

Yea, that would suck big time, not so much for one for having to do it again however these are the guys that you've been through all this s*** together with from day one and you're not going on with them.

However roughly 25% of those completing Hell Week will not go on to get their Trident and become a fully operational SEAL(assigned to a Team).

Now THAT would reallllllllly suck!!!

http://worlddefensereview.com/wts092605.shtml

What it comes down to is these Men would die before they quit, literally.

If you're not willing to, in your heart, f*** your mind, in your heart if you're not willing to die if need be, you ain't gonna make it-

And if you don't understand this statement(not you Lumber) because it is what a SEAL would tell you if you asked him what it takes, but if you don't understand it or disagree with it, eff it, ignore it and post what ya were gonna post :)

Have a nice wend Bro :)

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

We should ask ourselves, if we lived under the microscope that he does, how would we fare? In our everyday life, we may make the slightest mistake and people could take that and forever label you forever a cheapskate, phony, or whatever. Imagine this thread was about you and people are saying that you didn't play for yourself, or your daddy smothered you, you have no friends, etc. You'd read this and think "what the f#*k does this guy know about me." I have read this whole thread and I don't think I've seen a post from anybody who knows the man personally at all. Say he didn't golf. Maybe he would have been a terrific navy seal. Maybe he would ring the bell in the first 5 minutes. We don't know. But, because we think we know him as a golfer, we can speculate whether he could cut it or not.

Please. You gotta just try to enjoy. Threads like these. They tell you way more about the people posting in them than about Tiger Woods.

Anyone else reminded of Hogan when reading this? Loner, focused, and maybe in the future a recluse?

Not sure anyone should be a miliatary diltante as described in the story. Certainly, it's quite arrogant for him to assume he'd make it through BUD/S if it wasn't for the golf thing. He might or might not have made it, but we'll never know.

And, as a proud father of a combat veteran I can say that anyone who truly has been there, done that certainly has a level of mental discipline and fortitude that most folks simoply can't comprehend. Which is why I cringe every time some sprts hack calls a competitor a "warrior." Not even close.

Could not agree more with your last two paragraphs-

It makes me sick, and has since I was a child, to hear idiots compare the participants in GAMES to a Warrior-

Thanks to your Son for his Sacrifice and Service!!

God Bless Bro :)

My Best,

Richard

Richard, you are the man.

Best to you, and keep kicking cancer's butt!

Gentlemen~

Just so we are all on the same page

THIS is SEAL Training.......

Oh yea, does anyone know if Tiger can even swim?????

Seriously......

Like can he swim as well as he hit a golf ball????

Two great "Pearls" that I was told when I was 14yo and met one of my father's teammates and he told me these and I've lived by them-

~ When you're at the end, and ready to quit, close your eyes, take a deep breath, and just focus on putting one foot in front of the other.

I cannot tell you how many times that I have done this in the last 42 years. Too many to count.

~ Sometimes in life you're going to have to fight. Fight like a rabid dog and when your done, Leave the scene as quickly as you can.. Do not stick around and take bows or gloat.

Unfortunately(or fortunately) I've had to follow his advice here also

He was a Great Man and he's always stayed in touch-

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends,

RP

IIRC Tiger was a champion swimmer in high school

Gentlemen~

Seriously......

Two great "Pearls" that I was told when I was 14yo and met one of my father's teammates and he told me these and I've lived by them-

~ When you're at the end, and ready to quit, close your eyes, take a deep breath, and just focus on putting one foot in front of the other.

I cannot tell you how many times that I have done this in the last 42 years. Too many to count.

~ Sometimes in life you're going to have to fight. Fight like a rabid dog and when your done, Leave the scene as quickly as you can.. Do not stick around and take bows or gloat.

RP

It really doesn't matter if he was a great swimmer.

drn92

"How Bad Do You Want It?"

If you're physically able and already mentally tough, that's probably the most important question to determine if you can make it through Seal training.

If you have no plan B and you want it more than you want to breath, you'll eventually have it.

No one could answer that question except Tiger.

Now it's too late obviously, but when he was 25, I'm not going to tell anyone they can't do something.

I think it is kind of odd this seal group was letting him hang out with them and in the situations he was in with them. I could see it once or twice as PR thing or yehh let Tiger come hang out one day after work but as much as this went on? Very odd.

I've know a lot of guys from special ops units and I can't imagine them letting even Tiger Woods go on mission training with them.

Who knows if he could have made it or not. The whole thing is bizarre.

Gentlemen~

Seriously......

RP

Thanks for taking the time to respond :)

#1, to be a "Champion" swimmer takes as much time, effort, drive and focus as does becoming a "Champion" golfer

#2, No, he was not

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

RP

politics? really?

Jack, with a little luck could have won 30 majors.....the competition was so much greater during his time as well. I think Tiger is satisfied with 14 majors and being a top 5 golfer of all time....most people would be happy with that......

Jack stands alone, high above the rest.

Top 5? Haha.

I guess #2 is considered the top 5....

historians of the game don't put tiger over guys like bobby jones or Varden......some of the real old skool guys...

top 5 is great...its up for debate where he falls within the top 5.

I'm no Tiger fan but I don't know how he isn't 2 on the list. What basis would a historian use to put anybody else ahead of him?

I'd say someone doesn't appear to be a Tiger fan....

Anyone who doesn't have Jack and Tiger (in either order) as #1 and #2 is not much of a historian. The debate between which of them was better is one that will rage on forever, unless someone comes along and raises the bar above both of them, but I don't think that's very likely. There are great arguments on both sides that Jack was the greatest or Tiger was the greatest (I'm with Richard that Jack was the greatest champion, Tiger the greatest to ever play), but to argue that anyone else could be in that #1-2 spot.....sorry. Ignorant at best.

Of course that's always the fallback line if you say something that isn't 100% in favor of someone else..... "you are a hater of tiger"..... are you 15 years old?

give it a rest....

What does seal training have to do with golf? :)

seal_trainer.png

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Anyone who doesn't have Jack and Tiger (in either order) as #1 and #2 is not much of a historian. The debate between which of them was better is one that will rage on forever, unless someone comes along and raises the bar above both of them, but I don't think that's very likely. There are great arguments on both sides that Jack was the greatest or Tiger was the greatest (I'm with Richard that Jack was the greatest champion, Tiger the greatest to ever play), but to argue that anyone else could be in that #1-2 spot.....sorry. Ignorant at best.

Of course that's always the fallback line if you say something that isn't 100% in favor of someone else..... "you are a hater of tiger"..... are you 15 years old?

give it a rest....

Drew may not agree with you, and he and I have been on opposite sides of the table regarding our opinions, however it's my opinion that if I had to name one individual, who day in and day out is the Classiest Individual on the board, it's Drew. I've never seen him refer to someone as a "hater," and Bro, I HATE when guys drop that word when ya disagree with em or speak to a negative about an individual, lmao. That's my #1 Pet Peeve, the use of "hater," lol. I never ever hear that word used in the "real" world, so I guess that it's a virtual world thing.

I don't mean to start anything because you post some great stuff, I just don't wanna see two good guys have negative exchange needlessly.

God, I hate when that happens-

I know, I know, I get it and can find the door on my own :)

Have a great weekend Gents!!

My Best,

RP

give it a rest....

Tsecor, I gave you two options for your assessment of Tiger's career. Either you're not a fan, which is totally fine, or you're a lousy historian, also fine! Either way, if Tiger isn't your #1 or #2 guy, you're wrong. That's just the way it is man. There is no legitimate argument that holds up for putting him below anyone else besides Jack.

Richard, always appreciate the kind words, and "hater" is on my pet peeve list as well!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

give it a rest....

Tsecor, I gave you two options for your assessment of Tiger's career. Either you're not a fan, which is totally fine, or you're a lousy historian, also fine! Either way, if Tiger isn't your #1 or #2 guy, you're wrong. That's just the way it is man. There is no legitimate argument that holds up for putting him below anyone else besides Jack.

Richard, always appreciate the kind words, and "hater" is on my pet peeve list as well!

Poll every pro golfer in the world. They can inherit any other golfer's professional resume other than Jack. Pretty sure Tiger dominates that.

give it a rest....

It's not wrong. It's flat out stupid.

Gentlemen~

Seriously......

RP

He's a pretty serious free-diver and loves spear fishing. According to instructors, he can hold his breath > 4 minutes underwater. At least a decent swimmer I'd say!

Honestly I think Tiger had the mental strength to be a SEAL. I don't know that his body would have held up though, as he's obviously pretty injury prone. I would predict a medical washout. The other issue I would question would be his ability to play well with others. There's a reason they have Teams in the SEALs, and given the social issues Tiger has exhibited, it's tough to know how he would respond in a situation where he couldn't be a lone wolf.

OK, if Tiger had the balls, he would be a SEAL. For real, do you know how many guys I have run into at bars over years that said, yeah I would have joined the Marine Corps....BUT....The military is not for everyone, for those of us that signed on the dotted line and did it, that shows mental toughness, not playing SEAL because I am rich and famous. Being one of the greatest golfers of all time does not equate to being in the military, especially Special Forces. Sorry, it's just not the same.

Gentlemen~

Seriously......

RP

He's a pretty serious free-diver and loves spear fishing. According to instructors, he can hold his breath > 4 minutes underwater. At least a decent swimmer I'd say!

Honestly I think Tiger had the mental strength to be a SEAL. I don't know that his body would have held up though, as he's obviously pretty injury prone. I would predict a medical washout. The other issue I would question would be his ability to play well with others. There's a reason they have Teams in the SEALs, and given the social issues Tiger has exhibited, it's tough to know how he would respond in a situation where he couldn't be a lone wolf.

OK, if Tiger had the balls, he would be a SEAL. For real, do you know how many guys I have run into at bars over years that said, yeah I would have joined the Marine Corps....BUT....The military is not for everyone, for those of us that signed on the dotted line and did it, that shows mental toughness, not playing SEAL because I am rich and famous. Being one of the greatest golfers of all time does not equate to being in the military, especially Special Forces. Sorry, it's just not the same.

Bro, I've seen ya sittin at the bottom of the page for the past few days and I'm so glad that you jumped in!!

I hope that you are well and having a nice season :)

OOrah Bro, Always

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend,

Richard

This is probably a controversial opinion but I thought this article was a little overrated. Very nicely written sure but I didn't get that whole award-winning piece of journalism that some people were talking about.

It rips off Hank Haney's book the Big Miss a lot, he mentions it in it but it's a lot of the same material that I'd already read. Alan Shipnuck also had just written a long piece about Tiger's life for SI a few weeks earlier so that took away from the 'newness'.

Kinda felt that a lot of the praise on twitter came from journalists from other areas and non-golfers who wouldn't have read anything on the topic really and were lead to believe that this was a massive exclusive that no one had ever done before. Was certainly helped by the Sobel hype too.

I've been thinking about this SEAL business for a few days. Here's what I've come up with....

If the SEAL's didn't want Tiger around then he wouldn't have been there. And I mean the SEAL's in general. I'm sure there a few that were watching and thinking WTF? And went on about their business without involvement with Tiger. But if the reports are true then he spent time at several different facilities doing a variety of "training".

Somebody fairly high up in The Pentagon had to approve this. I'd love to see the release and hold harmless documents Tiger had to sign in order to participate in these activities.

Can you imagine what the news would have been if Tiger had really been screwed up in a training accident? Or if he'd been killed in a failed parachute drop?

This SEAL training was going on at a time when there was no athlete bigger than Tiger Woods. It'd be similar to Michael Jordan showing up for training back in the 90s. My guess is most of the SEALs liked having the opportunity to meet TW and hang out. There were probably a few higher ranking officers that thought having Tiger around would be a either a morale booster or maybe even give a chance for the SEALs to learn something.

The article talked about Tiger speaking to one the teams...which has me wondering what he said. "Hi, I'm Tiger and if I wasnt a pro golfer I'd be here with you guys.....now let me show you how to hit a stinger" . But more seriously - at that point in his life and career Tiger could credibly talk about mental toughness and focus to almost any group. Almost...it's hard to imagine a more mentally tough or focused group than a SEAL Team.

Ah, what the hell, Tiger's personal income taxes over the years have probably funded a Team or two...if he wanted to shoot some guns and jump out of airplanes then it's fine with me.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

When I was in the USMC I spent a month with a Recon unit. Top notch guys. One of the gentleman I hung around with had a cousin who was a SEAL and we got together a few times. Great guy, real gentleman.

What training I did you go until you can't go anymore and you keep going, and going. Until you drop. Then you get up and keep going. The SEAL's though are like professional athletes. Just like the odds of being becoming a professional athlete are astronomical the odds of any Tom, Dick, or Harry becoming a SEAL are astronomical (that pretty much goes for all special operations forces, be it SAS, Spetznaz, and the like). It's not just about being in good physical condition, the person has to have an undefinable "it" factor. Very few people do. Which is what makes these folks special.

Anyone who says they could have been a SEAL, Force Recon, and the like, is no doubt full of sh!t.

Could TW have become a SEAL? I have no clue. But I do get annoyed when some people make it out to be "easy" , or "I could have done that."

I was just a plain old grunt, and that training was rigorous enough, as it should be. But the SOF guys take it to a whole lot of levels higher.

Gentlemen~

Seriously......

RP

Though I remember hearing Earl say one of Tigers best sports was track. Maybe the 200 or 400 meters?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Gentlemen~

Seriously......

RP

Though I remember hearing Earl say one of Tigers best sports was track. Maybe the 200 or 400 meters?

Dl, this is in no way shape or form directed at you however Earl also said that the Tigster would one day be bigger than Gandhi ;)

Stay Well My Friend and have a great weekend :)

My Best,

RP

I've been thinking about this SEAL business for a few days. Here's what I've come up with....

If the SEAL's didn't want Tiger around then he wouldn't have been there. And I mean the SEAL's in general. I'm sure there a few that were watching and thinking WTF? And went on about their business without involvement with Tiger. But if the reports are true then he spent time at several different facilities doing a variety of "training".

Somebody fairly high up in The Pentagon had to approve this. I'd love to see the release and hold harmless documents Tiger had to sign in order to participate in these activities.

Can you imagine what the news would have been if Tiger had really been screwed up in a training accident? Or if he'd been killed in a failed parachute drop?

This SEAL training was going on at a time when there was no athlete bigger than Tiger Woods. It'd be similar to Michael Jordan showing up for training back in the 90s. My guess is most of the SEALs liked having the opportunity to meet TW and hang out. There were probably a few higher ranking officers that thought having Tiger around would be a either a morale booster or maybe even give a chance for the SEALs to learn something.

The article talked about Tiger speaking to one the teams...which has me wondering what he said. "Hi, I'm Tiger and if I wasnt a pro golfer I'd be here with you guys.....now let me show you how to hit a stinger" . But more seriously - at that point in his life and career Tiger could credibly talk about mental toughness and focus to almost any group. Almost...it's hard to imagine a more mentally tough or focused group than a SEAL Team.

Ah, what the hell, Tiger's personal income taxes over the years have probably funded a Team or two...if he wanted to shoot some guns and jump out of airplanes then it's fine with me.

Yours and Sean's below you along with USMC's are the three best posts that I've read in this thread pertaining to this issue-

The only thing is that Tiger did not speak to a "Team," ever-

He spoke to the current training class with Instructors present, who were a tad taken aback at a few of his comments, the one regarding that he'd be a SEAL if he wasn't strolling the fairways for millions, being probably the most catching.

And FWIW for those who are not aware, completing Hell Week does not make one a SEAL or get theTrident(Budweiser) pinned to their chest-

Not even close actually because roughly 22-23% of those poor b******* that went through Hell will not get that Trident "slammed" onto their chest, much less end up with a Team.

However, if on graduates from Hell Week, they have the respect of every SEAL, past and present-

Have a great weekend Bro :)

Always,

Richard