2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The Secret History of Tiger Woods -

socied

Absolutely they were-

14 of em-

2008?

That was #14-

It was vitally important to Tiger

I just happen to believe that it was so important to him because his father called it 12 years before and not because it moved him one closer to Jack.

I'd be curious if there is ever even a quote FROM Tiger regarding either 18 or 19 majors-

Not a response to a question, him initiating the discussion, as Hogan and Jack did countless times.

Majors were definitely important to him in so far as they were important to Earl-

Earl called 14-

Tiger chased and got 14

Just my .01 :)

Have a great week Bro

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

RP

Did he ever mentioned he accomplished a goal of 14 after winning in 2008? I'm not sure if he did or not - I certainly don't remember it.

He continued to build his schedule around the majors after that. He was clearly beyond angry he lost the PGA to Yang in 2009.

Even in 2014 after his back went the week before, he tried to have a go at it for the PGA because it was at Valhalla and he thought he had a chance.

I don't believe for one second he never had Jack's 18 in mind, or that part of him feels empty for not having caught him. He's one of the most competitive people ever - yet he wouldn't want arguably the greatest title in golf (most majors)?

In 2015, even though he was banged up, he made sure he played in every major. Literally if the man could get out there and play, he tried to get into the majors even after 2008. His comeback in 2010 was at the Masters.

Revisionist history and him saying "oh I was never after Jack's record" does not reconcile in any way, shape, or form with how he built his schedule in his entire career.

I don't disagree with anything that you've posted, and absolutely he'd love to get to 18 or even better, 19-

I just think that inside, he's at peace with 14-

That was my only point with all my rambling, lol

Stay Well My Friend :)

All the Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree with anything that you've posted, and absolutely he'd love to get to 18 or even better, 19-

All the Best,

Richard

I do agree that the older he gets, the more he'll realize how great he was and how hard it was to win 14 majors, as weird as that sounds. So yes, I'd say if you told Tiger 10 years ago he'd be stuck at 14 he would have been irate, now, he's probably more at peace with that, and when he's 50 he'll be even more okay, though I'm sure part of him will look back and wonder "what if".

He was such a freight train that I thought he'd get to 20.

I actually told people who didn't follow golf much that he was underrated in his prime.

What struck me about 2013, even though he had a great year, was that in a few majors (particularly the Open), he really did a 180. He'd be a few back on a Friday, and in the early/mid 2000's, that was PRIME Tiger striking territory. You KNEW he would go for a 67 or 68 on Saturday and win the tournament 9 times out of 10. Suddenly, in 2013, at the majors, he was lackluster on the weekends. Big turning point.

I have no idea what his career holds from this point forward. If he didn't have his short game issues, I'd feel a bit more confident in him getting another major, maybe 2. But he's got a long road ahead. However, as much as he struggled last year, he'd have stretches of holes where he was all over the pins. He's just got to keep his floor from being so low, if that makes sense. Keep his 74s from being 74s, and turn them back into 71s.

All the Best,

Richard

I do agree that the older he gets, the more he'll realize how great he was and how hard it was to win 14 majors, as weird as that sounds. So yes, I'd say if you told Tiger 10 years ago he'd be stuck at 14 he would have been irate, now, he's probably more at peace with that, and when he's 50 he'll be even more okay, though I'm sure part of him will look back and wonder "what if".

He was such a freight train that I thought he'd get to 20.

I actually told people who didn't follow golf much that he was underrated in his prime.

What struck me about 2013, even though he had a great year, was that in a few majors (particularly the Open), he really did a 180. He'd be a few back on a Friday, and in the early/mid 2000's, that was PRIME Tiger striking territory. You KNEW he would go for a 67 or 68 on Saturday and win the tournament 9 times out of 10. Suddenly, in 2013, at the majors, he was lackluster on the weekends. Big turning point.

I have no idea what his career holds from this point forward. If he didn't have his short game issues, I'd feel a bit more confident in him getting another major, maybe 2. But he's got a long road ahead. However, as much as he struggled last year, he'd have stretches of holes where he was all over the pins. He's just got to keep his floor from being so low, if that makes sense. Keep his 74s from being 74s, and turn them back into 71s.

He made it look so easy, I guess we thought it WAS easy. To think of all he has accomplished in golf, and all of the money he has, the guy can't get a good night's sleep.

That kind of sucks.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

politics? really?

Apologies, I should not have been on the board~

Have a good day :)

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Tiger was never "all in" because he wasn't doing it for himself or his own legacy, he was doing it for daddy. I don't doubt that he worked hard and was very motivated to win. Same with great football players. Some guys work hard till they get that big pay day and then they take their foot off the gas. Some musicians get a couple hit records take some time off and you never hear from them again.

When you do something to please someone else the passion can only last until that person is there to be satisfied. Daddy, the fans, whatever.

Once Earl was gone Tiger finally had a reason to do something else. Anything else other than golf. Tiger has never been cool, he's always been awkward and weird, he is an introvert, he would disappear into obscurity if he could.

Maybe, he can find the motivation to do it for his own legacy, kids, friends, family but I doubt it.

"Once you're gone, you can't come back. When you're out of the blue and into the black"

Again. you have no idea what Tiger's motivations are. Neither do I or the next guy. If someone on the internet said "you're not motivated at your desk job because of your daddy issues" how pissed would you be?

I don't think that would anger me especially if there was some truth to it. There are worse implications than that. And I do know what Tigers motivations are I think his motivation is alluded to in the article. He is motivated to fill the loss of his father and he is motivated by the actions of his father. Womanizing and being the cool guy, that was Earls thing, not Tigers but he still feels the need to try his hand at it. As a son and a father, I get it. I've seen myself do it and I can already see my son doing it. As a son the first person you yearn to compete against is your father. You wrestle, you race, you fish, you play golf - whatever. If you don't get that out of your system by the time pops is gone then you end up working it out afterward. Tiger as we know is not socially mature and he wasn't done working out things with Earl. Earl made Tiger, Tiger never had a chance to mold himself. Once he had that opportunity he took it out on himself physically and ended up destroying the only life skill he has, playing golf.

As many virtuoso's before him he flamed out too soon. It is what it is.

You got all of that from an article about his doing some crossfit w navy seals?

Crossfit doesn't involve shooting Sigs, kill houses, skydiving or running for miles in combat boots.

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

Tiger was never "all in" because he wasn't doing it for himself or his own legacy, he was doing it for daddy. I don't doubt that he worked hard and was very motivated to win. Same with great football players. Some guys work hard till they get that big pay day and then they take their foot off the gas. Some musicians get a couple hit records take some time off and you never hear from them again.

When you do something to please someone else the passion can only last until that person is there to be satisfied. Daddy, the fans, whatever.

Once Earl was gone Tiger finally had a reason to do something else. Anything else other than golf. Tiger has never been cool, he's always been awkward and weird, he is an introvert, he would disappear into obscurity if he could.

Maybe, he can find the motivation to do it for his own legacy, kids, friends, family but I doubt it.

"Once you're gone, you can't come back. When you're out of the blue and into the black"

Again. you have no idea what Tiger's motivations are. Neither do I or the next guy. If someone on the internet said "you're not motivated at your desk job because of your daddy issues" how pissed would you be?

I don't think that would anger me especially if there was some truth to it. There are worse implications than that. And I do know what Tigers motivations are I think his motivation is alluded to in the article. He is motivated to fill the loss of his father and he is motivated by the actions of his father. Womanizing and being the cool guy, that was Earls thing, not Tigers but he still feels the need to try his hand at it. As a son and a father, I get it. I've seen myself do it and I can already see my son doing it. As a son the first person you yearn to compete against is your father. You wrestle, you race, you fish, you play golf - whatever. If you don't get that out of your system by the time pops is gone then you end up working it out afterward. Tiger as we know is not socially mature and he wasn't done working out things with Earl. Earl made Tiger, Tiger never had a chance to mold himself. Once he had that opportunity he took it out on himself physically and ended up destroying the only life skill he has, playing golf.

Crossfit doesn't involve shooting Sigs, kill houses, skydiving or running for miles in combat boots.

Would have activated his glutes though. Crossfitting is a cult (:)), but it's a glute-activating machine!

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

How do we know that Tiger didn't pay for meals, experiences, gifts, etc for the Seals on other occasions? Maybe it was a one time deal....not making excuses but like with most other celebrities, we only hear about the bad/negative stuff.

Maybe he just wanted to be one of the guys. Maybe he thought paying for everything would highlight the fact that he was so much wealthier. Maybe the guy that brought it up shouldn't have.

I was just looking at that pic from Tiger Jam with Prince-

Damn, would that have been a great time, lmao

Think of all of the.......

Wooooooooo

Ahh forget it, lol

No, please don't get up, I can find the door :)

Fairways & Greens My Friends,

RP

As long as you don't ask him to finish a sentence...

That's not fair, he does, they just happen to rhyme. I heard he said this:

""Sad man, get off my case, just 'cause I wasn't on no Army base!"

LMAO, this is beautiful!!!

All the Best,

Richard

None of the guys that I met did cross fit, LMAO

Damn, think how bad they'd be if they could go through the kill house with activated glutes!!!

Seriously, that would make them even more deadly, right??

I do believe that the two guys that Charged into Osama's bedroom were on full gluteral activation and the pucker factor was through the roof-

Don't quote me, I'm goin all WRX here, where my tone of certainty exceeds my actual knowledge-

Come to think of it, WTF do activated glutes even feel like?

I asked Maddie and I can count on like two fingers the times she's said this though she just chirped "STFU and go to sleep" and she walked outa the room~

HaHa, Dames :)

RP

Anyone else reminded of Hogan when reading this? Loner, focused, and maybe in the future a recluse?

Well, Ben Hogan actually served in the miltary, so there's one difference.

Frankly, I have less interrest than most. I kinda blew through the thread (I read Richard's posts, because I never ever miss those)...

Not sure anyone should be a miliatary diltante as described in the story. Certainly, it's quite arrogant for him to assume he'd make it through BUD/S if it wasn't for the golf thing. He might or might not have made it, but we'll never know.

And, as a proud father of a combat veteran I can say that anyone who truly has been there, done that certainly has a level of mental discipline and fortitude that most folks simoply can't comprehend. Which is why I cringe every time some sprts hack calls a competitor a "warrior." Not even close.

politics? really?

Jack, with a little luck could have won 30 majors.....the competition was so much greater during his time as well. I think Tiger is satisfied with 14 majors and being a top 5 golfer of all time....most people would be happy with that......

Jack stands alone, high above the rest.

Top 5? Haha.

I guess #2 is considered the top 5....

Damn, think how bad they'd be if they could go through the kill house with activated glutes!!!

I do believe that the two guys that Charged into Osama's bedroom were on full gluteral activation and the pucker factor was through the roof-

Don't quote me, I'm goin all WRX here, where my tone of certainty exceeds my actual knowledge-

I asked Maddie and I can count on like two fingers the times she's said this though she just chirped "STFU and go to sleep" and she walked outa the room~

RP

"Don't quote me, I'm goin all WRX here, where my tone of certainty exceeds my actual knowledge-"

IMO that is one of the truest posts I have ever read!! I may have to borrow that. :)

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Anyone else reminded of Hogan when reading this? Loner, focused, and maybe in the future a recluse?

Not sure anyone should be a miliatary diltante as described in the story. Certainly, it's quite arrogant for him to assume he'd make it through BUD/S if it wasn't for the golf thing. He might or might not have made it, but we'll never know.

And, as a proud father of a combat veteran I can say that anyone who truly has been there, done that certainly has a level of mental discipline and fortitude that most folks simoply can't comprehend. Which is why I cringe every time some sprts hack calls a competitor a "warrior." Not even close.

Could not agree more with your last two paragraphs-

It makes me sick, and has since I was a child, to hear idiots compare the participants in GAMES to a Warrior-

Thanks to your Son for his Sacrifice and Service!!

God Bless Bro :)

My Best,

Richard

RP

"Don't quote me, I'm goin all WRX here, where my tone of certainty exceeds my actual knowledge-"

IMO that is one of the truest posts I have ever read!! I may have to borrow that. :)

Bro, that's gonna be on my head stone-

The thing is that I can admit it and I don't take myself too seriously, lol

I feel sorry for the poor ba****** around here who it applies to and they actually believe their bulls***, LMAO

Wooooooooo

I friggin Love this place!!!!

And at $35/year it's a hell of a lot cheaper than therapy-

Stay Well Bro :)

Always,

Richard

RP

I feel sorry for the poor ba****** around here who it applies to and they actually believe their bulls***, LMAO

Wooooooooo

Always,

Richard

:) just be glad they don't charge you by the post!

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Gentlemen~

Just so we are all on the same page

THIS is SEAL Training.......

Oh yea, does anyone know if Tiger can even swim?????

Seriously......

Like can he swim as well as he hit a golf ball????

Two great "Pearls" that I was told when I was 14yo and met one of my father's teammates and he told me these and I've lived by them-

~ When you're at the end, and ready to quit, close your eyes, take a deep breath, and just focus on putting one foot in front of the other.

I cannot tell you how many times that I have done this in the last 42 years. Too many to count.

~ Sometimes in life you're going to have to fight. Fight like a rabid dog and when your done, Leave the scene as quickly as you can.. Do not stick around and take bows or gloat.

Unfortunately(or fortunately) I've had to follow his advice here also

He was a Great Man and he's always stayed in touch-

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends,

RP

Fairways &amp; Greens My Friends,

RP

Wooooooooo

Always,

Richard

:) just be glad they don't charge you by the post!

Jesus, I'd be on public assistance with Obama Care and I'd be a dead man if they did, lmao-

Though I'm not joking-

Obama Care, I don't get the treatments I'm receiving and well, it ain't a pretty ending-

So yes, one, I'm damn glad they didn't ban me when they threw Jonesy out and two, I'm glad they don't charge by the post :)

Boy, that would suck, haha

All the Best,

RP

politics? really?

Jack, with a little luck could have won 30 majors.....the competition was so much greater during his time as well. I think Tiger is satisfied with 14 majors and being a top 5 golfer of all time....most people would be happy with that......

Top 5? Haha.

historians of the game don't put tiger over guys like bobby jones or Varden......some of the real old skool guys...

top 5 is great...its up for debate where he falls within the top 5.

politics? really?

Top 5? Haha.

historians of the game don't put tiger over guys like bobby jones or Varden......some of the real old skool guys...

Debate among ants?

; )

Gentlemen~

Seriously......

RP

He's a pretty serious free-diver and loves spear fishing. According to instructors, he can hold his breath > 4 minutes underwater. At least a decent swimmer I'd say!

Honestly I think Tiger had the mental strength to be a SEAL. I don't know that his body would have held up though, as he's obviously pretty injury prone. I would predict a medical washout. The other issue I would question would be his ability to play well with others. There's a reason they have Teams in the SEALs, and given the social issues Tiger has exhibited, it's tough to know how he would respond in a situation where he couldn't be a lone wolf.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Gentlemen~

Seriously......

RP

"Pain is weakness leaving your body." That is AWESOME!!! Those guys are definitely cut out of a different cloth - that is discipline that most of us could never comprehend, and the fact that they make it through BUDS is proof that it is more than just talk and bravado. I am thankful every day for the protection they (and other servicemen and women) provide and the freedoms they preserve.

politics? really?

Top 5? Haha.

I'm no Tiger fan but I don't know how he isn't 2 on the list. What basis would a historian use to put anybody else ahead of him?

politics? really?

Top 5? Haha.

I'm no Tiger fan but I don't know how he isn't 2 on the list. What basis would a historian use to put anybody else ahead of him?

I'd say someone doesn't appear to be a Tiger fan....

Anyone who doesn't have Jack and Tiger (in either order) as #1 and #2 is not much of a historian. The debate between which of them was better is one that will rage on forever, unless someone comes along and raises the bar above both of them, but I don't think that's very likely. There are great arguments on both sides that Jack was the greatest or Tiger was the greatest (I'm with Richard that Jack was the greatest champion, Tiger the greatest to ever play), but to argue that anyone else could be in that #1-2 spot.....sorry. Ignorant at best.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Gentlemen~

Seriously......

RP

He's a pretty serious free-diver and loves spear fishing. According to instructors, he can hold his breath > 4 minutes underwater. At least a decent swimmer I'd say!

Honestly I think Tiger had the mental strength to be a SEAL. I don't know that his body would have held up though, as he's obviously pretty injury prone. I would predict a medical washout. The other issue I would question would be his ability to play well with others. There's a reason they have Teams in the SEALs, and given the social issues Tiger has exhibited, it's tough to know how he would respond in a situation where he couldn't be a lone wolf.

He doesn't know the meaning of TEAMMATE-

He'd be lucky to get through the psych evals

Bear in mind that every single instructor would make it his job to crack Tiger Effin Woods??

He'd need more than his daddy's genes, LMAO

Nuff said

RP

Gentlemen~

Seriously......

RP

He doesn't know the meaning of TEAMMATE-

He'd be lucky to get through the psych evals

Bear in mind that every single instructor would make it his job to crack Tiger Effin Woods??

He'd need more than his daddy's genes, LMAO

Nuff said

RP

Haha, oh you know the instructors would be kicking his a** every chance they got! I think he's stubborn enough that he would like that though and thrive on it a bit, I just don't think his body could handle it. I think the body would break before the mind in his case.

The more I think about the Team situation though, the more I agree with you - he'd be WAY out of his depth there.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x