The Secret History of Tiger Woods -

socied

What I don't understand is how guys like Kobe Bryant and Ben Rothelsberger can be obvious scumbags and skate away

nearly scott-free publicly (eventually) but Tiger hasn't been afforded the same courtesy?? Is it a Christian America

thing and the fact that what he did was to his wife as opposed to some no-name women?? Somebody mentioned previously

that his publicist should have been fired and I think that may be the truest thing said in this thread.

Kobe was married as well at the time. I think there are two reasons. Number one is that we are used to scandals from professional football and basketball players. No real news. Second. well he's Tiger F'n Woods. At the time at least everything he did was huge news.

It was huge news when it came out about Kobe too (not as big for Ben) but over time that went away. While Kobe did cheat on his wife, and she was a victim, the real victim as portrayed (rightly so) was

the girl he allegedly raped. That is what I meant. Of course Kobe played well after the scandal and Tiger really hasn't outside of 2013. That maybe something to do with it since the scandal lives on through its reported effect on the player. Also with the 24 hour news cycle it seems as if somebodies legacy can be

manipulated to be whatever somebody wants it to be with a few well-placed stories/articles/documentaries. To be more current look at Tom Brady vs Peyton Manning...ESPN chose to run with one of those and not the other..when is the last time you heard anything about the HGH thing with Peyton?? If the MJ gambling thing had come out in 2009 vs 1993 would it have played out differently or would have ESPN squashed that??

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't understand is how guys like Kobe Bryant and Ben Rothelsberger can be obvious scumbags and skate away

nearly scott-free publicly (eventually) but Tiger hasn't been afforded the same courtesy?? Is it a Christian America

thing and the fact that what he did was to his wife as opposed to some no-name women?? Somebody mentioned previously

that his publicist should have been fired and I think that may be the truest thing said in this thread.

1. Tiger had affairs with 18+ women. No affair is ever justified, but the larger the number the larger the attention.

2. Outside of Michael Jordan, Tiger has been the biggest athlete arguably in history. The bigger the name, the more attention you will draw. Ben and Kobe got hammered in the press let's not forget.

While horrible for his wife and family all women were consenting adults..same couldn't be said for things Kobe and Ben allegedly did. But yes I agree, scale is always important when talking about scandals.

Sometimes the truly creative and best in their fields are "a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma"

Well written piece

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

1. Tiger had affairs with 18+ women. No affair is ever justified, but the larger the number the larger the attention.

2. Outside of Michael Jordan, Tiger has been the biggest athlete arguably in history. The bigger the name, the more attention you will draw. Ben and Kobe got hammered in the press let's not forget.

While horrible for his wife and family all women were consenting adults..same couldn't be said for things Kobe and Ben allegedly did. But yes I agree, scale is always important when talking about scandals.

Also, Kobe and Ben were not held in the same regard and publicized as much as Tiger. Tiger was like the figurehead American/World Sports hero---and he also had a very clean cut image. We all saw him as the golden boy who was living out this perfect golf career and life with the new beautiful wife, etc. so to see him "fall from grace" in the eyes of the media and world was the last person you'd expect to see such a thing from (even though people who really knew him were not surprised, the media had built him up to the public as the ideal sports hero family man).

edit: bringing up "Christian America" as if it's okay in any culture or anyone with a human conscience to be going behind their wife's back and hooking up with 15+ women is just silly IMO. Also, Kobe and Ben were never tried/convicted of anything and as if the fact that Tiger's ladies were "consenting adults" makes it much better. .. not really if you have any moral standards of belief in the sanctity of marriage/monogamy

Well written but it was a total re-hash. Everything in the article has been discussed ad-nauseum over the past 4-5 years.

Rocky, hard relationship with dad. Check.

Went lust-crazy after dads passing. Check.

Loner and misanthrope. Check.

Probably regrets a lot of things from his past. Check.

I was hoping Sobel had something new.

I agree with your assessments of him, except the misanthrope part. I think he is ambivalent of other people at worst, except his competitors, whose necks I imagine he loves to step on.

I don't know that it's as much a "Christian" thing as, one, if you look at the sports that Rothlesberger and Bryant play, while I'm by no means excusing their behavior, because I don't know enough about Bryant's case, and I'm not gonna condemn a man based on media stories, I do know some things from much more reliable sources pertaining to Rothlesberger's case, and the man should thank God every night before his head hits a pillow, because he didn't dodge a bullet, he dodged a howitzer shell, and undeservedly so.

However my point is that I believe the sport that Tiger Plays, and the audience that it caters to, well, you guys can see where I'm going here.

I'm not going off of media or even on this board though I've talked to enough guys face to face that when I question them beyond their initial thinly veiled bulls*** reasoning for jumping down a guy's throat who they don't know, he has absolutely zero impact on their lives and he doesn't even know that they exist yet the venom just strikes me as extreme for a guy who only hurt his wife, children, family and close loved ones, well, it just strikes me of racism, when two of these guys actually excuse Rothlesberger's behavior as "being young, immature and being famous," lol.

Okey Dokey then, lol

So no, I don't believe for a minute that the majority of the venom is related to a "Christian" thing.

Just my .01 :)

Stay well my Friend and have a great season!!

All the Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Difference between Kobe and Tiger is that this is a golf forum so most here have way more knowledge about Tiger, and their knowledge about Kobe is surface level. On a hardcore basketball site there would be plenty of people calling Kobe a bad teammate and bad guy off the court. The movie "Kobe doing work" was called contrived and fake by very prominent journalists.

Just like a hardcore basketball fan wouldn't know what people say about Tiger on golfwrx or in the more inner circles

Perspective and memory are important. There was the same BS about how Cam Newton got crushed after the SB for bad behavior and not taking accountability. These people said Manning never would have been treated like that. Only problem is Manning was treated like that several times. In 2006 he was accused by almost everyone of throwing his o-line under the bus after a playoff loss to Pittsburgh. But people forgot so it's as if it never happened

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Difference between Kobe and Tiger is that this is a golf forum so most here have way more knowledge about Tiger, and their knowledge about Kobe is surface level. On a hardcore basketball site there would be plenty of people calling Kobe a bad teammate and bad guy off the court. The movie "Kobe doing work" was called contrived and fake by very prominent journalists.

Just like a hardcore basketball fan wouldn't know what people say about Tiger on golfwrx

You don't think Tiger's affairs were way more publicized? Tiger was on the cover of tabloids for 2-3 weeks straight.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Just like a hardcore basketball fan wouldn't know what people say about Tiger on golfwrx

You don't think Tiger's affairs were way more publicized? Tiger was on the cover of tabloids for 2-3 weeks straight.

Then Kobe's rape allegation? That was covered so much I knew more about that sexual encounter than 80% of my own sexual encounters

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Then Kobe's rape allegation? That was covered so much I knew more about that sexual encounter than 80% of my own sexual encounters

It was highly publicized, but Tiger's was far more publicized. Tiger's occurred deeper into the internet age. Kobe was superstar. Tiger was the biggest athlete in the world.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I don't know that I agree, more idiots with opinions sure, that's our blogosphere era that we are in now as oppose to 10 years ago. But mainstream the Kobe incident was major major news. There was a criminal investigation etc, the major publications gave serious BTU's to the story and it was talked about for a long time. The implications of it were more severe than what Tiger was going to deal with. I think over time its possible things don't seem as significant as they were

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I don't know that I agree, more idiots with opinions sure, that's our blogosphere era that we are in now as oppose to 10 years ago. But mainstream the Kobe incident was major major news. There was a criminal investigation etc, the major publications gave serious BTU's to the story and it was talked about for a long time. The implications of it were more severe than what Tiger was going to deal with. I think over time its possible things don't seem as significant as they were

Yes Kobe's was more serious legally and criminally. It was a huge story, but I just don't think as salacious as Tiger's.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

After reading this article my takeaway is this: Tiger never understood how important he was to golf, nor did he ever care.

That picture of Tiger and Prince together is amazing. Prince, who was a pioneer, a ground breaker, an innovator, a connoisseur, a grinder, elite in his craft and understood the importance of his impact on his industry, his legacy and music, vs a guy who was just along for the ride.

Summation

Prince would say "I do it because its who I am, its all I do, its everything"

Tiger would say "I do it because its what I'm supposed to do"

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

After reading this article my takeaway is this: Tiger never understood how important he was to golf, nor did he ever care.

That picture of Tiger and Prince together is amazing. Prince, who was a pioneer, a ground breaker, an innovator, a connoisseur, a grinder, elite in his craft and understood the importance of his impact on his industry, his legacy and music, vs a guy who was just along for the ride.

Summation

I think Tiger knows his place and impact, he has just grown private since his dad died and the scandal. Few people know him outside of Notah, Steiny, and a few of his buddies and that's the way Tiger wants it. We don't even know if we know Tiger.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Summation

I think it's safe to say this is a guy who cares ; )

tiger.jpg

Guy put in a lot of work to do what he did. And, I would add that you could apply all of the adjectives you used to describe Prince, to TW.

Just disagreeing with you but can respect your opinion.

a guy who was just along for the ride.

tiger.jpg

Guy put in a lot of work to do what he did. And, I would add that you could apply all of the adjectives you used to describe Prince, to TW.

"A guy who was just along for the ride" ????????

WTF???????

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

For everyone hollering about the Navy SEAL bill

(1) If Tiger was just trying to fit in and be one of the guys, I'm pretty sure flaunting your wealth and dropping your Amex Black isn't a great way of doing so.

(2) That SEAL that was all butthurt about it can go f*** himself. Be appreciative of someone's generosity but never demand it. Thanks to my dad for that one.

Exactly. The Seals were using him to(get to hang with a celebrity that is world famous) and honestly many units of the military , included the Green Beret that Earls served with,likely would not have let him hang out like that during that type of training. An appearance for a fund raiser for charity at Ft Bragg is one thing but hanging out during live training is another. i am sure they were taking pictures and telling people that they were running around with Tiger Freakin' Woods. Look kids there is me with Tiger!

It goes both ways and to be butt hurt over the guy with the most money not paying for your lunch? Get over it and get over yourself. I go to lunch with my company President who is worth a lot and I don't expect him to buy my lunch. Actually him not buying their lunch is complimentary because it shows he wasn't trying to buy their friendship.

Oh, and the ammo they were shooting and weapons belonged to the tax payers of the USA so it was not like they were using funds from their own pocket. That is being a little picky on their part.

CgpgnQ1W0AAsNzy.jpg

Tiger's fashion sense is the only real crime in all of this.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Tiger got massive ovations when he came back to the Masters that same year. I think he's done just fine. I don't hear many people discussing the affairs aside from longtime, hardcore golf fans.

Also, Tiger's story was the gift that kept on giving - there were new women coming out of the woodwork for a few weeks, which kept the story fresh. In today's ADHD world, that made it hold its legs.

I can't stand Big Ben or Kobe for the record.

My point is when was the last time you hear that talked about with Kobe?? I wasn't arguing that it wasn't big news at the time..what I am arguing is that Tiger's scandal seems to have a much much longer shelf life. I heard nary a mention of it on ESPN during in Kobe's year long retirement festival. Yet when Tiger retires, which will be much longer after the scandal than Kobe's retirement was after his, how many times do you think it will be mentioned??

I suppose it never going to trial for Kobe has something to do with it I guess..made it easier for everyone to forgive and forget.

Both guys were idiots for doing what they did, don't get me wrong. The media treatment to me is just fascinating.

My point is when was the last time you hear that talked about with Kobe?? I wasn't arguing that it wasn't big news at the time..what I am arguing is that Tiger's scandal seems to have a much much longer shelf life. I suppose it never going to trial for Kobe has something to do with it I guess..made it easier for everyone to forgive and forget.

Tiger got massive ovations when he came back to the Masters that same year. I think he's done just fine. I don't hear many people discussing the affairs aside from longtime, hardcore golf fans.

Also, Tiger's story was the gift that kept on giving - there were new women coming out of the woodwork for a few weeks, which kept the story fresh. In today's ADHD world, that made it hold its legs.

I can't stand Big Ben or Kobe for the record.

I know..I am not talking about the general public. I am talking about the media. Kobe retired this year but ESPN didn't put Wright Thompson on that story....

My point is when was the last time you hear that talked about with Kobe?? I wasn't arguing that it wasn't big news at the time..what I am arguing is that Tiger's scandal seems to have a much much longer shelf life. I heard nary a mention of it on ESPN during in Kobe's year long retirement festival. Yet when Tiger retires, which will be much longer after the scandal than Kobe's retirement was after his, how many times do you think it will be mentioned?? I suppose it never going to trial for Kobe has something to do with it I guess..made it easier for everyone to forgive and forget. Both guys were idiots for doing what they did, don't get me wrong. The media treatment to me is just fascinating.

There is literally a massive article that just ran on ESPN about Kobe that mentions the case:

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/15232286/former-lakers-star-kobe-bryant-left-nba-just-getting-started

My point is when was the last time you hear that talked about with Kobe?? I wasn't arguing that it wasn't big news at the time..what I am arguing is that Tiger's scandal seems to have a much much longer shelf life. I heard nary a mention of it on ESPN during in Kobe's year long retirement festival. Yet when Tiger retires, which will be much longer after the scandal than Kobe's retirement was after his, how many times do you think it will be mentioned?? I suppose it never going to trial for Kobe has something to do with it I guess..made it easier for everyone to forgive and forget. Both guys were idiots for doing what they did, don't get me wrong. The media treatment to me is just fascinating.

There is literally a massive article that just ran on ESPN about Kobe that mentions the case:

http://espn.go.com/e...getting-started

Thanks!! Missed that

They're running this thing in print on their website, streaming it, and showing it on ESPN. Not a single fact that hasn't already been talked about by multiple other sources. The SEALs obsession was covered by Haney. The affairs by every major media outlet. I simply can't understand what this piece brings?

I was never much of an Urkel fan when he was at the top. Now, I'm cheering as hard as anyone that he makes a comeback.

Just another rubber necking, train wreck, dumpster fire of recycled news pushed by a ravenous 24-hour news industry that has to make news when there's none. Tiger like most successful people made a lot of sacrifices for his greatness. He's accomplished a lot, perhaps at the cost of some elements of his personal life. He's divorced. So is half of this country. Get over it ESPN and get over yourselves.

tiger.jpg

WTF???????

RP

A musical golf comparison if I may.

Prince = Arnold Palmer

Tiger Woods = Axle Rose

Sure, Axle Rose is great. Truly amazing when he was doing his thing. But, somewhere along the way he started to do it for the wrong reasons and got bored with it and that's why he disappeared into obscurity (for the most part). If you look back at when Axle Rose was at his peak, his fall from Rock and Roll legendary status was unimaginable.

In that picture Tiger was impassioned, indeed. He was all in but he has never been all in in like Arnold Palmer is all in.

Nobody's gonna go to the bar and order a Tiger Woods.

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

tiger.jpg

WTF???????

RP

Prince = Arnold Palmer

Tiger Woods = Axle Rose

Sure, Axle Rose is great. Truly amazing when he was doing his thing. But, somewhere along the way he started to do it for the wrong reasons and got bored with it and that's why he disappeared into obscurity (for the most part). If you look back at when Axle Rose was at his peak, his fall from Rock and Roll legendary status was unimaginable.

In that picture Tiger was impassioned, indeed. He was all in but he has never been all in in like Arnold Palmer is all in.

No. They order that at the Waffle House.

tiger.jpg

WTF???????

RP

Must....resist....bad....joke... :derisive:

tiger.jpg

WTF???????

RP

Prince = Arnold Palmer

Tiger Woods = Axle Rose

Tigerrrrrrrrr!

mozart-suffered-neurological-disorder.jpg

TW has the red shirt. Just needs one of those dope wigs now ; )