2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The Secret History of Tiger Woods -

socied

Pretty genius to change your name so you can fight in a square instead of in another country...

How old were you in 1967 when Ali refused to be conscripted and go to Vietnam?

What's that got to do with it?

If you lived during that time, and experienced the social trauma of that war, first hand, you would likely have a different perspective than if you were a generation or two removed from it. I was interested in knowing what your perspective was.

Family members who served and told me all about their experience while I sat on their laps. That's my perspective. He was a draft dodger pure and simple. Dozens of legit reasons not to go, but he chose the easy way.

Plus, to quote a great movie, "his mama called him clay, ima call him clay."

He was a great fighter, but genius? Give me a break.

unreal use of a Coming to America quote. well done!

"that'll be 8 dollars.."

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know who else has a "secret history"? Everyone. Derek Jeter, Michael Jordan, Tom Brady, John Daly, Muhammed Ali, Babe Ruth and all your other favorite golden boys. It's pretty much standard. Give a guy tons of wealth, fame, and power and he's going to run with it.

Yes, he cheated on his wife. Yes, he wanted to be a Navy Seal. Yes, he's cheap. Do you know what it's like to have a dad that was a green beret? Do you know what it's like to live on tour and have sweedish supermodels throw themselves at you? Do you even know if he had a good marriage? Maybe his wife was a HUGE B? Ever think about that? Apparently she only dates billionaires so that says something. Let it go. get over it. He's a golfer stop looking for life direction and morals from guys who hit a ball for a living. All of this info came out in 2009. It's 2016

Do you know who else has a "secret history"? Everyone. Derek Jeter, Michael Jordan, Tom Brady, John Daly, Muhammed Ali, Babe Ruth and all your other favorite golden boys. It's pretty much standard. Give a guy tons of wealth, fame, and power and he's going to run with it.

Yes, he cheated on his wife. Yes, he wanted to be a Navy Seal. Yes, he's cheap. Do you know what it's like to have a dad that was a green beret? Do you know what it's like to live on tour and have sweedish supermodels throw themselves at you? Do you even know if he had a good marriage? Maybe his wife was a HUGE B? Ever think about that? Apparently she only dates billionaires so that says something. Let it go. get over it. He's a golfer stop looking for life direction and morals from guys who hit a ball for a living. All of this info came out in 2009. It's 2016

you forgot "socially awkward"....this is what comes of swallowing the illusion created by Madison Avenue Marketing. In order to help get you to buy their products they create this super-hero jedi warrior myth. The only people truly bothered by reality, or even surprised by it, are those who in some measure, swallowed the myth.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

you forgot "socially awkward"....this is what comes of swallowing the illusion created by Madison Avenue Marketing. In order to help get you to buy their products they create this super-hero jedi warrior myth. The only people truly bothered by reality, or even surprised by it, are those who in some measure, swallowed the myth.

Socially awkward is what happens when you take a guy who's never been anything but "the best" and introduce him to a little public failure.

I agree the marketing machine created Tiger. Heck they still own the name "tiger". But it's doing the same thing with Ricky, Jordan, Rory and Jason RIGHT NOW. It's been doing it since Palmer, Nicklaus and Player. And it'll keep doing it as long as people keep buying it.

Everyone's life is filled with pressure of some type, real or manufactured. Some light, some intense. And I keep beating the drum that no one, NO ONE knows what a golfer's life is outside of what the media tells us. As soon as the media senses blood in the water, they attack. Or if they NEED to find something, they'll make a mountain out of a molehill. Tiger, Rory, Phil have experienced that; now Jordan and Jason Day are experiencing that.

No one is perfect, and of course, no one wants to hear their "guy" isn't perfect, but that's life and reality. Tiger cheated on his wife. He's just the highest profile one that did and happened to get caught. Truth of the matter is, that it happens a LOT in golf and in life. Doesn't make it right, but it's no surprise. Those of you who say that it could never happen to your favorite are fooling themselves. And who knows the reasons why? Maybe their life was structured for them. Maybe they've never failed and can't handle it, or there was a major life event, or possibly other people's behavior spark behavior in you. There are complete D-bags in life. There are other that are NOT D-Bags, that the internet and media tells us that they are, so, they become D-Bags at least in your eyes. We find reasons to hate a guy and then don't let him up when he's trying to do the right thing because we have to continue to remind him that he was once a D-Bag. I know all of us have a friend or two that you instantly thought of. I have like 5.

The moral of this little escapade is that this will happen over and over again, in every walk of life. Don't be shocked when it does. Because they're human.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Tiger was never "all in" because he wasn't doing it for himself or his own legacy, he was doing it for daddy. I don't doubt that he worked hard and was very motivated to win. Same with great football players. Some guys work hard till they get that big pay day and then they take their foot off the gas. Some musicians get a couple hit records take some time off and you never hear from them again.

When you do something to please someone else the passion can only last until that person is there to be satisfied. Daddy, the fans, whatever.

Once Earl was gone Tiger finally had a reason to do something else. Anything else other than golf. Tiger has never been cool, he's always been awkward and weird, he is an introvert, he would disappear into obscurity if he could.

Maybe, he can find the motivation to do it for his own legacy, kids, friends, family but I doubt it.

"Once you're gone, you can't come back. When you're out of the blue and into the black"

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

Tiger was never "all in" because he wasn't doing it for himself or his own legacy, he was doing it for daddy. I don't doubt that he worked hard and was very motivated to win. Same with great football players. Some guys work hard till they get that big pay day and then they take their foot off the gas. Some musicians get a couple hit records take some time off and you never hear from them again.

When you do something to please someone else the passion can only last until that person is there to be satisfied. Daddy, the fans, whatever.

Once Earl was gone Tiger finally had a reason to do something else. Anything else other than golf. Tiger has never been cool, he's always been awkward and weird, he is an introvert, he would disappear into obscurity if he could.

Maybe, he can find the motivation to do it for his own legacy, kids, friends, family but I doubt it.

"Once you're gone, you can't come back. When you're out of the blue and into the black"

There's some truth to this, but no one knows his true past motivation. When his dad passed away, he floundered. Some would argue that he still is to some degree. The death of a parent is a haymaker, especially one that you were extremely close to. Once someone adjusts to it (you NEVER get over it), you focus on other important things. His kids are his world now, as any parent would say. If that doesn't motivate you to do certain things, I don't know what will when you have little eyes staring at you and watching your every move. I've learned never jump to a conclusion that someone can't do something because I think they can't. One never knows what they might accomplish.

A week ago someone said Mike Weir should just hang it up because he "clearly can't come back from where he was." The guy was sick and the guy quickly backtracked. He's also into the first year after a divorce. That's another haymaker because there is a bunch of life adjusting to do. He might find his swing again after that whole stack and tilt crap he did, but as long as he desires to keep trying, he should. When you're a lifetime PGA member and a major champion, he's earned that right.

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

Again. you have no idea what Tiger's motivations are. Neither do I or the next guy. If someone on the internet said "you're not motivated at your desk job because of your daddy issues" how pissed would you be?

Again. you have no idea what Tiger's motivations are. Neither do I or the next guy. If someone on the internet said "you're not motivated at your desk job because of your daddy issues" how pissed would you be?

Motivations? Simple and the same for any guy with that level of sports talent I imagine,

To be the best who ever played and reap the spoils...

Glory, chicks and cash!

TigerWoodsHoleInOne.jpg

I don't think that would anger me especially if there was some truth to it. There are worse implications than that. And I do know what Tigers motivations are I think his motivation is alluded to in the article. He is motivated to fill the loss of his father and he is motivated by the actions of his father. Womanizing and being the cool guy, that was Earls thing, not Tigers but he still feels the need to try his hand at it. As a son and a father, I get it. I've seen myself do it and I can already see my son doing it. As a son the first person you yearn to compete against is your father. You wrestle, you race, you fish, you play golf - whatever. If you don't get that out of your system by the time pops is gone then you end up working it out afterward. Tiger as we know is not socially mature and he wasn't done working out things with Earl. Earl made Tiger, Tiger never had a chance to mold himself. Once he had that opportunity he took it out on himself physically and ended up destroying the only life skill he has, playing golf.

As many virtuoso's before him he flamed out too soon. It is what it is.

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

LOL, Tiger still hasn't picked up that check and Ali isn't fighting anyone, in or out of uniform.

Tiger's personal life continues to be none of my business. There really hasn't been an excuse for strangers to even try to care about it for 6+ years.

But he lied!

Now his ex had to find a new billionaire and someday his children will lash out by stiffing the valet when they park their Bugatti's in Monte Carlo.

Maybe this theme>

18w6xr3jiq7epjpg.jpg

LOL, Tiger still hasn't picked up that check and Ali isn't fighting anyone, in or out of uniform.

Tiger's personal life continues to be none of my business. There really hasn't been an excuse for strangers to even try to care about it for 6+ years.

But he lied!

Now his ex had to find a new billionaire and someday his children will lash out by stiffing the valet when they park their Bugatti's in Monte Carlo.

Tough life really...She might be onto another 50-something billionaire #2 now. Can't say for sure...

Pretty genius to change your name so you can fight in a square instead of in another country...

If you lived during that time, and experienced the social trauma of that war, first hand, you would likely have a different perspective than if you were a generation or two removed from it. I was interested in knowing what your perspective was.

Ali was still a draft dodger. Great boxer and later a humanitarian. But, he was a draft dodger.

Completely baseless. Yes Earl meant a great deal to him but Tiger is also ultra competitive and would step on your throat to win at checkers. Tiger was banging hotties, playing video games, fishing, boating etc long before Earl passed.

His passion has changed as it would with any parent but make no mistake he still has that fire and when he steps back into his arena it won't be because of daddy issues.

People at the time had a bit different view of draft dodging than we do now a days. Now we accept it (look how little of an issue it was for guys like Trump, Bush, Mitt, Cheney and Clinton ) while at the time half the country hated you for doing it. It also hurt that he did it in more direct way (i.e. refused to report for service) versus the white middle class way (get dad to pull some favors, go to school, ...). He sort of shoved it in everyones face.

In 40 years when we look back at tiger, nobody is going to remember the infidelities and the like. They will remember a brilliant career cut short by injuries.

Family members who served and told me all about their experience while I sat on their laps. That's my perspective. He was a draft dodger pure and simple. Dozens of legit reasons not to go, but he chose the easy way.

Not necessarily genius in the sense of IQ. Genius in his mastery of his sport. Although, he is a very bright and witty guy as it turns out.

Your response is very Charles Barkleyesque. Which is a good thing.

Absolutely they were-

14 of em-

2008?

That was #14-

It was vitally important to Tiger

I just happen to believe that it was so important to him because his father called it 12 years before and not because it moved him one closer to Jack.

I'd be curious if there is ever even a quote FROM Tiger regarding either 18 or 19 majors-

Not a response to a question, him initiating the discussion, as Hogan and Jack did countless times.

Majors were definitely important to him in so far as they were important to Earl-

Earl called 14-

Tiger chased and got 14

Just my .01 :)

Have a great week Bro

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

RP

Did he ever mentioned he accomplished a goal of 14 after winning in 2008? I'm not sure if he did or not - I certainly don't remember it.

He continued to build his schedule around the majors after that. He was clearly beyond angry he lost the PGA to Yang in 2009.

Even in 2014 after his back went the week before, he tried to have a go at it for the PGA because it was at Valhalla and he thought he had a chance.

I don't believe for one second he never had Jack's 18 in mind, or that part of him feels empty for not having caught him. He's one of the most competitive people ever - yet he wouldn't want arguably the greatest title in golf (most majors)?

In 2015, even though he was banged up, he made sure he played in every major. Literally if the man could get out there and play, he tried to get into the majors even after 2008. His comeback in 2010 was at the Masters.

Revisionist history and him saying "oh I was never after Jack's record" does not reconcile in any way, shape, or form with how he built his schedule in his entire career.

As an introvert, I think he has a lot of these little intricacies in behavior that some people find off putting. Introverts typically are thought of as either weird or rude. I think people give him a hard time too, even as in this story of the SEALs not getting their lunch paid for. Sounds a little ungracious doesn't it? Dude makes so much money, I can't believe he didn't buy me lunch. People thinking that they deserve to get something from someone else, just because they make more money. I actually think it is a little bit of a two way street here. I see bad on either side, but Tiger can't stand being a public figure because he doesn't know how to act in public, typical of an introvert.

Taylormade M1 460 - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 fairway - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 hybrids 4&5 - Aldila Rouge 110
Taylormade PSi Tour irons - KBS Tour
Taylormade EF Wedges ATV Grind - KBS Wedge
Nike Method Mod 60

I really thought the article was very well written. Tiger Woods is a complex character and the author added additional analysis. Rather than saying the article told us nothing new, it did organize the parts into what I saw was the story of a life and not just rehashing facts. Tiger, despite all his wealth and talent, is one of those tragic characters in sports. All his wounds were self inflicted. His father loaded the gun.

My Father died in one of those God Forsaken jungles so a piece of s*** like Clay could dance around America talkin in rhyme-

Social trauma??

LMFAO

Yea, smokin some ganj, droppin some dot and sittin pretty on a college campus-

A lot of Great Boys and Men sacrificed their lives so all the "social trauma" could occur-

I'll leave it at that cuz obviously, this hits a nerve-

But please spare me about the social trauma, LMAO

Yea, you guys had it so rough, lmao

Jesus, you're lucky ya survived ;)

I agree with Trombone, great fighter, possibly one of the greatest-

However I'll go it alone here-

He's a piece of s***~

Fairways & Greens My Friends,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I really thought the article was very well written. Tiger Woods is a complex character and the author added additional analysis. Rather than saying the article told us nothing new, it did organize the parts into what I saw was the story of a life and not just rehashing facts. Tiger, despite all his wealth and talent, is one of those tragic characters in sports. All his wounds were self inflicted. His father loaded the gun.

Insightful post.

^banned

; )

I don't think that would anger me especially if there was some truth to it. There are worse implications than that. And I do know what Tigers motivations are I think his motivation is alluded to in the article. He is motivated to fill the loss of his father and he is motivated by the actions of his father. Womanizing and being the cool guy, that was Earls thing, not Tigers but he still feels the need to try his hand at it. As a son and a father, I get it. I've seen myself do it and I can already see my son doing it. As a son the first person you yearn to compete against is your father. You wrestle, you race, you fish, you play golf - whatever. If you don't get that out of your system by the time pops is gone then you end up working it out afterward. Tiger as we know is not socially mature and he wasn't done working out things with Earl. Earl made Tiger, Tiger never had a chance to mold himself. Once he had that opportunity he took it out on himself physically and ended up destroying the only life skill he has, playing golf.

As many virtuoso's before him he flamed out too soon. It is what it is.

You got all of that from an article about his doing some crossfit w navy seals?