2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

What to get, rangefinder, gps, watch, or just download an app?

I have searched and did not really find anything, if I am wrong then I can just close thread.

I have only really played golf for year and a couple months, my bag is set, taking some lessons and just got a course membership. I don't know what would help me the most at this point. I like the idea of gps because I can just look at the picture and it tells me ranges to bunkers, greens, etc withouth having to range it. Rangefinders give you exact data, watches are just smaller gps's with more buttons to push for info, and most golf apps are free with your smart phone.

What do YOU think I should get and why? Also what brand should I get and why? I will be playing 90% of my golf at my home golf course, they do not have yardage books there. I know I can make one, but don't really want to.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally prefer a range finder to a GPS watch. A GPS watch is quicker, but it often doesn't give me the info I really need. I use it to find the distance to a pin, but I also use it all the time to find the distance to trees, bunkers, etc. I played today on a new course that had a severe left dog leg. I was able to use my range finder to find that the giant willow tree blocking the green was 160 away and the bunker at the end of the fairway was 210. That allowed me to pick my 7 wood to try to hit just short of the bunker.

GPS pretty much just replicates course markers.... You know distance to front, middle, and back plus the addition of hazards and other waypoints. Laser gives you exact distance to the pin, but it's not the best when it comes to hazards and waypoints....

Honestly, the laser was the best purchase I've ever made in terms of dropping strokes off my game. Knowing the exact distance means you can be pin high way more often.

I use my laser and have the$2 skydroid app on my phone. The app generally only gets turned on if I'm playing a new course and don't have the hazard stuff memorized. It's also useful if you want to get relative pin position on the green since you know the F/M/D stuff on the app and know distance to the pin from the laser.

There is no single device that gives everything.

I use Golfshot for scorecard & GPS plus a range-finder when I need exact details. I use both depending on needs at the time. I use the gps to plan my approach to the hole and the laser to shoot the flag or find a way to execute my plan from the trees. :)

Tough call without knowing your game. Both devices have their uses. I started off with a GPS and picked up a rangefinder a few years later, so I do use both. The GPS is starting to show it's age so I'll probably pick up something inexpensive like a Garmin G10 next season. I prefer dedicated devices so I put my phone away before I play, but everybody's different. On the course, the rangefinder is handy to scope out hazards, pin placement on par 3's and wedge shots. GPS for everything else, mainly FMB.

An unexpected use when I picked up the rangefinder is using it on the practice range to scope out distances to various targets, ie. guy wires, fence posts. More than half of my practice balls are with wedge shots so it gets me dialed in with visually seeing specific yardages and calibrating my wedge game.

I have a Leupold laser but I can't hold it steady enough at longer ranges. Just out of curiosity, I got a free phone app, and it turns out that it agrees very closely with lasers, other gps's, and course markers. Well within my distance dispersion. Plus you can get overhead views and measure distances to other points. Very convenient.

Get a good laser. If you ever need a distance, you have it. GPS on a phone is as good as a watch, so you can get a cheaper/free app to try out GPS before dumping significant money on it.

By and far, I say if you are going to spend a couple hundred on a device, laser. No doubt.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

I have a Leupold laser but I can't hold it steady enough at longer ranges. Just out of curiosity, I got a free phone app, and it turns out that it agrees very closely with lasers, other gps's, and course markers. Well within my distance dispersion. Plus you can get overhead views and measure distances to other points. Very convenient.

PM if you would consider a trade? I have an older Bushnell...

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

PM if you would consider a trade? I have an older Bushnell...

Sorry, I gave my leupy to my stepdaughter to use in her matches, she has much steadier hands.

Add another vote for rangefinder (Have a Callaway branded Nikon). I'll use a phone app if I'm unfamiliar with a course, or for blind shots (over hills, dog legs) that I can't get with laser.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

There are 'hybrid' lasers with integrated GPS for F/M/B of green.

Example: http://bushnellgolf.com/Laser-Rangefinders/Hybrid-Laser-GPS

But yes, it will not tell doglegs or other 'blind' distances.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

For me it's a range finder. I used to have a gps. All depends on what kind of information you need/want. If you're gonna shoot everything with your laser, maybe a range finder would be better. I play 90% of my golf on familiar courses, so the laser works great. The upside to a gps, is when you miss fairways, or don't have direct line of sight (hills, trees, etc..).

G430 LST 9
G410 14.5
G410 19, 22
245, 5-gw
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
LAB Mezz Max

With the overwhelming support for range finders somebody have to present an alternative view. A range finder is without a doubt the most precise and versatile solution, but also comes with disadvantages. Since you are a relative beginner, I think it is more beneficial to get a solution which will interfere less with your play.

Unless you can hit your clubs to an accuracy of a few yards consistently, there is no need to shoot distances with such accuracy. A GPS watch will easily show you the distances with an accuracy that matches your ability (I guess), and will give you those distances at a quick glance, allowing to focus on your game. I think that will be much more beneficial than spending your time shooting accurate distance that you actually don't need.

With the overwhelming support for range finders somebody have to present an alternative view. A range finder is without a doubt the most precise and versatile solution, but also comes with disadvantages. Since you are a relative beginner, I think it is more beneficial to get a solution which will interfere less with your play.

Unless you can hit your clubs to an accuracy of a few yards consistently, there is no need to shoot distances with such accuracy. A GPS watch will easily show you the distances with an accuracy that matches your ability (I guess), and will give you those distances at a quick glance, allowing to focus on your game. I think that will be much more beneficial than spending your time shooting accurate distance that you actually don't need.

I like your comment, especially in reference to the convenience of a GPS watch. I could afford any of the particular devices, and in fact any of them and all of them, but I I don't like to be hassled on the golf course carrying around some sort of handheld GPS device or a rangefinder. In fact, I would probably lose it if I bought one. I love the GPS watch, it's so convenient and of course it's strapped to my wrist. Just a quick glance to the wrist and I know my distances. Is it as accurate as a range finder? No but I don't need that kind of accuracy being a 15 handicap golfer. It's so much more relaxing with the watch then lugging around some sort of handheld device. Although, I understand the need for precision for some of the low cap golfers who like to compete. A person just has to understand what his intentions are as a golfer and get the appropriate device. My GPS watch has other functions like distances to hazards, but I never use them just distance to the green.

I like your comment, especially in reference to the convenience of a GPS watch. I could afford any of the particular devices, and in fact any of them and all of them, but I I don't like to be hassled on the golf course carrying around some sort of handheld GPS device or a rangefinder. In fact, I would probably lose it if I bought one. I love the GPS watch, it's so convenient and of course it's strapped to my wrist. Just a quick glance to the wrist and I know my distances. Is it as accurate as a range finder? No but I don't need that kind of accuracy being a 15 handicap golfer. It's so much more relaxing with the watch then lugging around some sort of handheld device. Although, I understand the need for precision for some of the low cap golfers who like to compete. A person just has to understand what his intentions are as a golfer and get the appropriate device. My GPS watch has other functions like distances to hazards, but I never use them just distance to the green.

Agree with both of you. Pro's and Con's to both. I've had a watch for a few years and added a laser last year. The watch is still used way more than I use the laser. Of course nothing beats a laser for distance to pin or some odd target, tree, dog leg, hedge row or whatever--- which is primarily why I also got a laser. But front, back, center the GPS rules, plus it's convenient and fast. Plus a GPS doesn't care if a shot is blind or not.

I like both, but if I only had one it would be the GPS. For the OP, a watch would make more sense.

If you need more detail, like a course map, then give an app a try before you commit to a dedicated device.

There is no right answer since it's all about personal pref. But if speed and simplicity is highly important then nothing beats the watch.

I agree with Andy L's experience's with both a GPS watch and a rangefinder. I have both as well and why the watch covers 80% or so of my needs the rangefinder becomes helpful as well. I find a rangefinder really helpful on the driving range. A lot of ranges have to few markers, or the inability to have a marker directly in front of you, or they're simply not accurate especially when they don't move the markers when they adjust tee locations. I can take a shot at each marker and have an accurate idea of what I'm actually doing.

I like having a GPS on the tee box for par 4/5s so I can see distances to hazards, etc with one look. And then having a range finder for approach shots and par 3s to get the exact pin distance.

You said you're playing 90% of the time at your home course. I find I don't really need either at my home course since I've played hundreds of rounds there. But I do still use them, it's more of a ritual or part of the shot routine than actually needing the information.

i previously used a rangefinder and have now switched to a watch...

rangefinder was helpful on the range when wanting to shoot flags, but you have to consider you're hitting range balls so distances may be little off.

it came in handy when shooting spots in a fairway to layup or how far to a certain tree. the issue for me came when relying too much on just the distance to the flag. i'd shoot the flag, get a number in my head and pull the club for that yardage. i would forget or not take into account pin being in front or back of green. maybe that's on me, but its easy to forget just how much room you have behind the flag.

I've now switched to a watch. i get accurate distance to front, center, and back. so much better knowing center yardage and adjusting for back or front pin. i'm missing short or long much less. I can even change the pin placement on watch to get a more accurate yardage. the watch also gives me distance to carry hazards such as water or bunkers in fairway. i just find it much better knowing i have 89y front, 112y center, 121y back rather than 94y pin.

i've occasionally used phone gps, but couldn't use these full time. between turning the screen on, pulling out of pocket on each shot, trying to read the screen when sun is bright, and it taking a few additional seconds to get accurate yardage, i just like watch much better. (golfbuddy wt4)

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

i previously used a rangefinder and have now switched to a watch...

rangefinder was helpful on the range when wanting to shoot flags, but you have to consider you're hitting range balls so distances may be little off.

it came in handy when shooting spots in a fairway to layup or how far to a certain tree. the issue for me came when relying too much on just the distance to the flag. i'd shoot the flag, get a number in my head and pull the club for that yardage. i would forget or not take into account pin being in front or back of green. maybe that's on me, but its easy to forget just how much room you have behind the flag.

I've now switched to a watch. i get accurate distance to front, center, and back. so much better knowing center yardage and adjusting for back or front pin. i'm missing short or long much less. I can even change the pin placement on watch to get a more accurate yardage. the watch also gives me distance to carry hazards such as water or bunkers in fairway. i just find it much better knowing i have 89y front, 112y center, 121y back rather than 94y pin.

i've occasionally used phone gps, but couldn't use these full time. between turning the screen on, pulling out of pocket on each shot, trying to read the screen when sun is bright, and it taking a few additional seconds to get accurate yardage, i just like watch much better. (golfbuddy wt4)

simply, the watch is so easy to use. Just a quick glance to the wrist and everything is taken care of.

Rangefinder 100%

Titleist 910 D3 7.5* w/ GD AD DI 6 stiff
Titleist 915 FD 15* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Titleist 910 F 19* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Mizuno MP 15 4-PW w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM5 52* F w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey TVD 56* w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM6 60* S w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Piretti Matera Rev 2.0

I like having a GPS on the tee box for par 4/5s so I can see distances to hazards, etc with one look. And then having a range finder for approach shots and par 3s to get the exact pin distance.

You said you're playing 90% of the time at your home course. I find I don't really need either at my home course since I've played hundreds of rounds there. But I do still use them, it's more of a ritual or part of the shot routine than actually needing the information.

Same here, I play my courses so much I pretty much know and only use my app for non-stock shots or for clearance over a bunker.

There are 'hybrid' lasers with integrated GPS for F/M/B of green.

Example: http://bushnellgolf....ybrid-Laser-GPS

But yes, it will not tell doglegs or other 'blind' distances.

--kC

Huh, that is intriguing...those are going for 200 w/ prime shipping on Amazon these days. If you're gonna pay 120 for a gps watch might as well plop down the extra 80 for the laser + GPS. I might throw one of these in my bag, i'm tired of using my phone because of all the distractions.