2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

LOL, since we were talking swings just recently.....want some entertainment?

Read this WRX article by Tom Stickney......and then read the comments...oooooohh!

Lots of shanks, lols, and flops.

This really tells you what people think about the golf instruction business around

here, haha.

http://www.golfwrx.com/405986/amateurs-leave-golf-swing-advice-to-the-professionals/

Read this WRX article by Tom Stickney......and then read the comments...oooooohh!

This really tells you what people think about the golf instruction business around

here, haha.

http://www.golfwrx.c...-professionals/

ROTFLMAO! Good late night enterainment--- Most WRXers think of "professional" golf instructors like I do. Even when I had my class A card I did not do the instruction thing because I did not agree with the PGA philosophy of the golf swing. I have always been of the theory that one has to "swing their own swing" and that there is no set in stone proper way to swing or play this game. There is a difference between "golf swing" and game. Look at people like Allen Doyle and Jim Thorpe or even Jim Furyk for that matter. Now you can sometimes help someone with a basic fundamental or such. Good example everyones swing and body is different and the swing bottoms out different for different folks. In a nutshell ball position at address can be different for many folks just one basic fundamental. I could go on for several pages about my general low opinion on "golf Instructors" One commentator summed it up for me as in he rated them along with job hopping used car salesmen and ambulance chasing lawyers. I will take Tommy Two Gloves Gainey and play any two golf gurus anywhere any time for what they want to play for----- BTW I gave the article a SHANK----- Stinckley is full of more BS than a freight hauling truck driver!!

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

OMG STU! You've got me rolling on the floor! I don't really have an opinion on the subject. I've just plugged away and tried to figure things out on my own the best I could. I had no interest in stack and tilt or any other thing that would play havoc with my back. Ferchrissakes I'm near 60 years old and what these kids do on TV ain't gonna work for me! I want to go out and play and socialize and have a bit of fun, not be slave at the range. Oh yes, but it's a process that will take time and that will be another $50 or $75 please...

The part that really got me going with that article was when the author said something to the effect that: "you wouldn't appreciate me coming into your office and telling your clients how to invest." Talk about the worst choice in analogies if you're trying to justify your value. Nothing like comparing yourself to snake oil salesmen which covers a lot of players in the "investment" business!

As far as golf instruction goes, you could do a heck of a lot worse than the writings of Ben Hogan and Paul Runyan.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

That Arcadia place is really beautiful. At $90, I'd have to play it.

Winter has arrived in Western Pennsylvania. About 40 degrees yesterday, rainy, windy, and cold. If it gets into the 40's, sunny, and minimal wind, I'll play a few holes. My hip has been hurting for the last week and a half, went to the chiropractor yesterday, his adjustments didn't seem to help. He told me I'd feel better by Monday. We'll see.

The dusk playing bagpiper would give me the chills, too. Like the wake in "Bagger Vance." I remember an old episode of some English TV show, that came on before "Benny Hill" years ago. "Dave" something or other. Some skit, where a casket was carried to the grave site, I guess, and the pipers were playing and the mourners were crying. The guy sits up in the casket exclaiming, "That racket will wake the dead."

Keep warm guys!

Didnt read this post until now. Dave, that should be Dave Allen. Used to love that show. Irish guy if I remember correctly, always sipping from his whisky bowler, crazy good shows. I can remember my father laughing his *** off watching the scenes, often gags on nuns and monks. Always ended with dave wishing "good night, and may your god be with you".

here, haha.

Around everywhere, I would say. And why not, it's as close you can come to watching into a crystal ball. And most people will warm heartily to the subject of how to get the info needed to solve the gordian knot. What I can say on the article is yes, the instruction doesn't get better with the better tour achievements by the pro. It's like teachers in school, university. The guy teaching being a professor didn't necessarily make him a good teacher. Rather the opposite. Same with the touring pro's that goes teaching (most of the only semi-successful do that around here). They just cannot understand why a 50+ guy cannot coil up perfectly with arms and bodies in a position that resembles Rory McIlroy.

Well, I've given up on being a single hcp. (have been below 15 for 25+ years), it's more fun being your own Harmon. I have seen all swing routines, tips about positions and what not at least 5 times over the years. So, watching occasional youtube clips by Monte or Malaska is the outside input I take now, but most magic happends in my back yard using those plastic balls. My hedge is high enough, the neighbours cannot see...

here, haha.

ROTFLMAO! Good late night enterainment--- Most WRXers think of "professional" golf instructors like I do. Even when I had my class A card I did not do the instruction thing because I did not agree with the PGA philosophy of the golf swing. I have always been of the theory that one has to "swing their own swing" and that there is no set in stone proper way to swing or play this game. There is a difference between "golf swing" and game. Look at people like Allen Doyle and Jim Thorpe or even Jim Furyk for that matter. Now you can sometimes help someone with a basic fundamental or such. Good example everyones swing and body is different and the swing bottoms out different for different folks. In a nutshell ball position at address can be different for many folks just one basic fundamental. I could go on for several pages about my general low opinion on "golf Instructors" One commentator summed it up for me as in he rated them along with job hopping used car salesmen and ambulance chasing lawyers. I will take Tommy Two Gloves Gainey and play any two golf gurus anywhere any time for what they want to play for----- BTW I gave the article a SHANK----- Stinckley is full of more BS than a freight hauling truck driver!!

My other sport was judo, this also relies on a good body rotation. Most coaches used to teach the theoretical technique, I used to teach the use of the bodies natural rhythms, nothing set in stone. As a result we used to take all the local and national competitions, with one of my pupils playing on the English Olympic team. Much like your aproach to golf. No one is the same and trying a one fits all swing has never made sense to me.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Yeah, noticed the Stickney article as well. Good timing given our conversation about golf instruction from a couple of days ago. Self serving was my initial reaction. No one other than a "Professional" can help you. Solid commentary from ^, so I really have nothing to add. Other than its easier than ever, with the internets, to read and observe swing fundamentals methodologies. How to apply it becomes the mission if you choose to accept it.

Sorry Reasy, you're out. The Bud that points out something going on with your swing, nope. The innumerable YouTube videos, nada. I & A, shut it down (don't understand 75% of what's posted there anyhow). The countless "How to Swing" books, drivel.

But some simple math. Of the 958 "Reactions" to the article, 91.6% (878) were in varying degrees negative. I shanked it as well. Pretty much all one needs to know about the state of "professional instruction" today. As viewed thru a WRX'ian lens.

Now if one would guarantee they could teach me to recapture 50 yards of lost distance, I may be willing to "make it rain" in their direction.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

My other sport was judo, this also relies on a good body rotation. Most coaches used to teach the theoretical technique, I used to teach the use of the bodies natural rhythms, nothing set in stone. As a result we used to take all the local and national competitions, with one of my pupils playing on the English Olympic team. Much like your approach to golf. No one is the same and trying a one fits all swing has never made sense to me.

Very much like that comment as applied to the golf swing. That a body will find a preferred swing given that a set of basic fundamentals are taken care of first. That there is a certain intrinsic "feel" to the swing, like a judo move, that is individualistic. Trying to force something contrary to this, leads to negative results.

We've all had the correct swing that resulted in the perfect golf shot. Assuming much like executing the correct judo move. Again assuming, the role of the teacher is to recognize what has occurred and then translating that to the pupil. To affect repeatability and sustainability. During the course of competition when one does not have the opportunity to "think" about what to do. Just has to happen. Or something like that.

Haven't a clue whether this method is being used in golf instruction. Seems rather elusive to articulate to a student. In a "do this" or "change that" world of golf instruction. Thinking most instructors have a fairly well defined set of operational principals they use as their perceived "correct" way to go about the task. IDK.

Still not saying that instruction has no value. Its the what and how and at what expense thats troublesome.

Yeah, noticed the Stickney article as well. Good timing given our conversation about golf instruction from a couple of days ago. Self serving was my initial reaction. No one other than a "Professional" can help you. Solid commentary from ^, so I really have nothing to add. Other than its easier than ever, with the internets, to read and observe swing fundamentals methodologies. How to apply it becomes the mission if you choose to accept it.

Sorry Reasy, you're out. The Bud that points out something going on with your swing, nope. The innumerable YouTube videos, nada. I & A, shut it down (don't understand 75% of what's posted there anyhow). The countless "How to Swing" books, drivel.

But some simple math. Of the 958 "Reactions" to the article, 91.6% (878) were in varying degrees negative. I shanked it as well. Pretty much all one needs to know about the state of "professional instruction" today. As viewed thru a WRX'ian lens.

Now if one would guarantee they could teach me to recapture 50 yards of lost distance, I may be willing to "make it rain" in their direction.

Good observations. The more I learn about golf, the less I've learned when it comes to applying it to my game, at least when it comes to my swing and especially some kind of mechanics or theories or trying to mimic every part of the swing at 200 parts of the take away through the smiling end of the follow through. Now I go by feeling comfortable and natural, especially when writing the score down on the card. You don't have to hold the pencil in any certain way, and the card can either be in your hand, or on the steering wheel of the cart, or attached to your pull cart, or if you want you don't even need one, haha... just an example of course, but some get so technical over every part of the game it gets you into puke position. 'When tying your shoes, always start with the left shoe, keep it flat on the ground surface, resembling the position of the golf stance...etc etc... when pulling on the glove, while shutting it tight, always have a club in hand, to resemble the swing position, as to not have a loose area that would cause slippage or clubface gee or haw...hahaha (hey, maybe I'm on to something- think I'll write a book)

Good observations. The more I learn about golf, the less I've learned when it comes to applying it to my game, at least when it comes to my swing and especially some kind of mechanics or theories or trying to mimic every part of the swing at 200 parts of the take away through the smiling end of the follow through. Now I go by feeling comfortable and natural, especially when writing the score down on the card. You don't have to hold the pencil in any certain way, and the card can either be in your hand, or on the steering wheel of the cart, or attached to your pull cart, or if you want you don't even need one, haha... just an example of course, but some get so technical over every part of the game it gets you into puke position. 'When tying your shoes, always start with the left shoe, keep it flat on the ground surface, resembling the position of the golf stance...etc etc... when pulling on the glove, while shutting it tight, always have a club in hand, to resemble the swing position, as to not have a loose area that would cause slippage or clubface gee or haw...hahaha (hey, maybe I'm on to something- think I'll write a book)

LOL. Relevant points, all. Write the book, become fabulously wealthy. Sport the Grillster's to an all expenses paid golfing vaca of your choosing. We will sit at your feet, listening in rapt attention as you unravel the mysteries of golf. "Teach us master". (To honor and humor you.) Then play at golf and continue doing what we always do.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

LOL, love the replies. I'm surprised Stickney didn't realize the blow back he

was going to get. WRX is a tough crowd.

I remember years ago here when I was perusing the 9-3 thread and guys

were getting amazing results from reading it so I jumped on the band wagon.

I learned some things from that thread that had eluded me from everything

else I had read before. It turned out to be very beneficial for me.

Then the rat pack from I and A jumped in there and ruined the thread by

telling everyone "you can't learn this on your own" and you guys are a bunch

of idiots for trying. Meanwhile people are saying they're hitting and compressing

the ball better than ever, lol, and downloading the Encyclopedia Texarkana

to use for reference and not going back to the 9-3 thread.

I'm not poo pooing instruction either but the truth is only a very small % of

instructors are really very good....and those good ones charge big bucks for

their time and most of us don't want to pay the price.

There were guys early in the 9-3 that had said they spent $1000s on lessons,

even from top 100 instructors and were doing better just reading the ET and

putting what Geoff said into action on their own.

And yet there are still guys in I and A that insist you can't learn on your own.

The truth is most of us just want to be competent and don't have fantasies of

playing like a pro who has devoted 1000s of hours to practice to get where

they are. We either don't have the time or don't want to make that kind of

commitment to a game that is essentially played for fun.....or it might cease

to be fun and become something else.

Well said, Conrad! :good:

[Added] I know a fellow who's a heck of a good player, by my standard at least -- low handicapper that is consistently in the mid 70's playing above average courses for difficulty. He's always taking lessons. Always changing something and not just clubs either. Got to go check that video of my last lesson to make sure I'm focusing on what I need to be. The heck of it is that I don't really see him getting any better results, just different and it's taking a lot of time, effort and expense to do it!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Contentment is rare in a golfer IMO. Always striving to get better. For some

that's the allure. I certainly would like to play better but I am realistic that I

am going to reach a point of diminishing returns if I go down that that road.

I've never had the time to fully devote myself so that makes it easy for me

to be delusional about how good I could get, lol.

I suppose when I do have the time I will find that point where it stays fun

and I can play reasonably well and be content with however well that is.

I think Reasy will help me find that "sweet spot".

I have other interests as well, as I know all of you do. I plan to immerse

myself back into my piano also when I have the time. I'm just as excited

about doing that as I am about the golf. I had scores of lessons in youth

and they were very valuable at that stage. Now, it will also be for pure

fun and enjoyment.

When the weather is bad I can always go sit at the piano and have fun

and not be pining that I can't play golf!

Both will be the same for me. FUN is the goal!

LOL. Relevant points, all. Write the book, become fabulously wealthy. Sport the Grillster's to an all expenses paid golfing vaca of your choosing. We will sit at your feet, listening in rapt attention as you unravel the mysteries of golf. "Teach us master". (To honor and humor you.) Then play at golf and continue doing what we always do.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Yes, that's the first thing I would do is honor all my Grillster friends by having a signing session cross-country and insist everyone gets to sign the book. Then we would play courses along the way, everyone's choice. I have some other ideas of course, 'when placing a tee in the ground on a par three (if you're inclined to do so) use your smartphone beside it to set the depth- however always remove the smartphone before hitting your shot, or it won't be smart anymore'... 'never remove the grips from your clubs, and then play golf, always apply new grips- you will not return with the same number of clubs you started with'... 'if you are a farmer, and you wear suspenders while playing golf, loosen them first, or you will most likely slice your shots'...'never "ROF and LYAO" in the clubhouse before playing, if you're riding in a cart, you will need it to sit steady, especially when playing on a hilly course'..

just some other previews

May I humbly suggest a couple of others for your Opus Magnificus:

"Learn to twirl like a Pro" - A simple four step process.

"What to Wear" - Fashion tips to avoid looking like a "Poser".

"The Meaning of Life thru Golf. A Philosophical Inquiry." - The abridged version from a previously submitted doctoral dissertation.

"What to Wear. How to look like a pro when your game says otherwise." - Your guide to being a "Poser".

"How to post random golf musings on the internet, and come across as an expert" - A primer.

"The New 19th Hole Mixology" - Power cocktails to impress after the round.

"How not to be a Club Ho. Avoidance Strategies." - As told by Reggie "Mack Daddy" Jones.

"Changing the Rules of the Game. To Fit your Game." - OGA Copyrighted.

Just off the top of my head. Feel free to use any as you deem appropriate.

May I humbly suggest a couple of others for your Opus Magnificus:

"Learn to twirl like a Pro" - A simple four step process.

"What to Wear" - Fashion tips to avoid looking like a "Poser".

"The Meaning of Life thru Golf. A Philosophical Inquiry." - The abridged version from a previously submitted doctoral dissertation.

"What to Wear. How to look like a pro when your game says otherwise." - Your guide to being a "Poser".

"How to post random golf musings on the internet, and come across as an expert" - A primer.

"The New 19th Hole Mixology" - Power cocktails to impress after the round.

"How not to be a Club Ho. Avoidance Strategies." - As told by Reggie "Mack Daddy" Jones.

"Changing the Rules of the Game. To Fit your Game." - OGA Copyrighted.

Just off the top of my head. Feel free to use any as you deem appropriate.

Absolutely, I was hoping there would be other Grillster contributions...

My other sport was judo, this also relies on a good body rotation. Most coaches used to teach the theoretical technique, I used to teach the use of the bodies natural rhythms, nothing set in stone. As a result we used to take all the local and national competitions, with one of my pupils playing on the English Olympic team. Much like your approach to golf. No one is the same and trying a one fits all swing has never made sense to me.

Very much like that comment as applied to the golf swing. That a body will find a preferred swing given that a set of basic fundamentals are taken care of first. That there is a certain intrinsic "feel" to the swing, like a judo move, that is individualistic. Trying to force something contrary to this, leads to negative results.

We've all had the correct swing that resulted in the perfect golf shot. Assuming much like executing the correct judo move. Again assuming, the role of the teacher is to recognize what has occurred and then translating that to the pupil. To affect repeatability and sustainability. During the course of competition when one does not have the opportunity to "think" about what to do. Just has to happen. Or something like that.

Haven't a clue whether this method is being used in golf instruction. Seems rather elusive to articulate to a student. In a "do this" or "change that" world of golf instruction. Thinking most instructors have a fairly well defined set of operational principals they use as their perceived "correct" way to go about the task. IDK.

Still not saying that instruction has no value. Its the what and how and at what expense thats troublesome.

Absolutely, the just has to happen attitude is a natural bodily function. As with golf I used to teach repeatability, train the body so the action was automatic under the correct circumstances. The golf shot, how often do you hit one and it goes for ever, it feels just right. The judo throw, when the opponents body presents itself in the correct attitude the action of throwing is automatic, many times the throw is completed before you even know it has started.

Golf has been made complicated by the amount of cash now being thrown at it. Pros are looking for the ultimate game because of the rewards. I really don't think this has improved the game of golf, all it has done is make a lot of greedy people find ways of separating us from our hard earned cash.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Golf has been made complicated by the amount of cash now being thrown at it. Pros are looking for the ultimate game because of the rewards. I really don't think this has improved the game of golf, all it has done is make a lot of greedy people find ways of separating us from our hard earned cash.

Truer words have not been spoken! :good:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

You know what really P***** me off? I post up some sterling commentary <. Well composed and articulated kinda stuff, invested some time in the thought process. Try to get it all "just right" through multiple edits. And not one damn "like"! Other than from a fellow Grillster, if one should stubble in (and I reciprocate in kind). Its as if one was being asked to fork over cash out of their wallet. Is it to much to ask for just a little bit of recognition for the effort? Is it that difficult to hit the "like" button? I make it rain with regularity when outside the friendly confines.

Can post drivel around here and pickup a half dozen without even trying. This has been bugging me this morning. I feel better now. End of shameless pandering.

Edit add: Upon reflection. Perhaps the expectation far exceeds the self-preceived quality of musing. Thus rendering an allocation unwarranted. IDK. Actually, really don't give a s***. Really not that important. But.....it still bugs me. A little.

You know what really P***** me off? I post up some sterling commentary <. Well composed and articulated kinda stuff, invested some time in the thought process. Try to get it all "just right" through multiple edits. And not one damn "like"! Other than from a fellow Grillster, if one should stubble in (and I reciprocate in kind). Its as if one was being asked to fork over cash out of their wallet. Is it to much to ask for just a little bit of recognition for the effort? Is it that difficult to hit the "like" button? I make it rain with regularity when outside the friendly confines.

Can post drivel around here and pickup a half dozen without even trying. This has been bugging me this morning. I feel better now. End of shameless pandering.

Edit add: Upon reflection. Perhaps the expectation far exceeds the self-preceived quality of musing. Thus rendering an allocation unwarranted. IDK. Actually, really don't give a s***. Really not that important. But.....it still bugs me. A little.

The problem is Fella, the other mob do not appreciate class, us Grillers and members of the OGA read and digest what you say and so, we are in a position to give the well earned likes.

The reason we sit here, supping coffee, having breakfast or any other meal available is because we care. We care that you have thought about your post, written it in good well read sentences and done so in a respectful considerate manner.

Stuff the rest of them, it's their loss :).

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

TLDR

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I know exactly what you mean. We don't sell books (not yet, anyway), so our payment for writing is the Like. Most posters don't think about the Like, or acknowledging humor or insight.

One thing I found odd (happened a couple times) is when somebody responds with something like, "That's hilarious!", but don't leave a Like.

I'm the opposite - if I don't have something of substance to add, I leave a Like. Nobody wants to read a thread full of "+1", "that's funny", or, my favorite, "^^^^This".

Keep up the good work. Just be careful out there!

Ruminating on this a bit. You and I, many others around here, grew up and were educated in an era when paper and pencil was what one had to work with. A teacher would say, "Write something". And we would pull out our pad of paper, sharpen the pencil, and begin writing down our thoughts. A very long ago English teacher stressed the importance of having a properly constructed composition. Sentence structure, spelling, punctuation, etc. Her argument, and I remember it as if it was yesterday, was "You cannot expect others to understand what it is you're attempting to say, if they are unable to read what you're saying".

Mrs. Chapin's words are always in the back of my mind as I draft something up. Probably why 95% of what I post has editing. Often multiple edits. Tweaking punctuation, changing sentence structure, trying to say the same thing in perhaps less verbiage, not trying to repeat the same idea multiple times. Little details that typically go unnoticed, but bug the heck out of me until I can correct them. It is what it is. Served me reasonably well over the years. With taking an essay test in College, where you need to have the professor understand your anser to a question. Or the many business communications over the years where a properly constructed letter was a sign of one's professionalism in communications with a client. Just seemed to be the expectation.

Is it easier today with computers and word processing applications? Absolutely. But also has brought about a certain laziness in composition skills. Thinking that the software will self correct all issues. Easier to correct, yes. If one understands what needs correction.

And those that are growing up in a texting, tweeting, emailing world have horrible composition skills. We've all received them, attempted to read them, trying to understand what is being articulated in the correspondence. How often have we thought, "What??" Didn't you ever learn how to write? This is unreadable. A challenge I no longer suggest to young ones, as its just the antiquated idea of an old man. Here is paper and pencil, write something down so that I can read and understand. All I typically receive is a quizzical look. Why? I have my computer to do that.

Very glad I was educated during the era that I was. Not trying to say that I'm any type of genius on these things. Just that there was a right way to go about the process of getting others to understand what's on your mind.

Progress.

Edit: Yes, there were several.

A bit like our golf games...no? ;)

On a more serious note, welcome to the world of journalism/professional wordsmithing. Lots of great pieces barely get noticed or receive wider circulation. Contrast that with the 140 character sound bite of some mook that goes viral. Once it goes beyond a few sentences the attention span becomes that of a puppy -- Ooh, what was that? A treat? something new to chew? Just give me a headline, I don't need any actual information! :wacko:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Ruminating on this a bit. You and I, many others around here, grew up and were educated in an era when paper and pencil was what one had to work with. A teacher would say, "Write something". And we would pull out our pad of paper, sharpen the pencil, and begin writing down our thoughts. A very long ago English teacher stressed the importance of having a properly constructed composition. Sentence structure, spelling, punctuation, etc. Her argument, and I remember it as if it was yesterday, was "You cannot expect others to understand what it is you're attempting to say, if they are unable to read what you're saying".

Mrs. Chapin's words are always in the back of my mind as I draft something up. Probably why 95% of what I post has editing. Often multiple edits. Tweaking punctuation, changing sentence structure, trying to say the same thing in perhaps less verbiage, not trying to repeat the same idea multiple times. Little details that typically go unnoticed, but bug the heck out of me until I can correct them. It is what it is. Served me reasonably well over the years. With taking an essay test in College, where you need to have the professor understand your anser to a question. Or the many business communications over the years where a properly constructed letter was a sign of one's professionalism in communications with a client. Just seemed to be the expectation.

Is it easier today with computers and word processing applications? Absolutely. But also has brought about a certain laziness in composition skills. Thinking that the software will self correct all issues. Easier to correct, yes. If one understands one needs correction.

And those that are growing up in a texting, emailing world have horrible composition skills. We've all received them, attempted to read them, trying to understand what is being articulated in the correspondence. How often have we thought, "What??" Didn't you ever learn how to write? This is unreadable. A challenge I no longer suggest to young ones, as its just the antiquated idea of an old man. Here is paper and pencil, write something down so that I can read and understand. All I typically receive is a quizzical look. Why? I have my computer to do that.

Very glad I was educated during the era that I was. Not trying to say that I'm any type of genius on these things. Just that there was a right way to go about the process of getting others to understand what's on your mind.

Progress.

Edit: Yes, there were several.

And this, my friend, is worthy of 10 likes! We all know exactly what you mean.

I never really gave this a second thought until my niece, who is a high school English teacher, pointed it out to me that she wants to use my annual Christmas letter as an example of good composition with correct spelling and grammar. I'm sure the look on my face was Huh!

She went on to explain that most of what gets submitted is very difficult to read. Composition skills, spelling and grammar are not required, the thought being that they didn't want to discourage imagination. Auto-correcting would look after the rest.

I said to her that you realize we had this stuff drilled into our heads daily for years. The same applied to basic arithmetic skills. I don't need a calculator. I can make change in my head faster than any cash register can come up with an answer. No one believes you until they see the same number on the screen, then comes the how did you do that?

Now, when it comes to computerized automation, media, etc. I just get outta the way. I was 40 before I saw any of it on a daily basis and it has been a struggle the entire way. My sons; bing, bang, bong, it's fixed, it works, it now does this... What's the matter with ya old man, this is easy! :nea:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The whole "like" thing above was tongue in cheek. Just a hasty, caffeine addled "stream of consciousness" muse in the early morning hours.

Makes absolutely no whoop to me whether one does or doesn't.

You should have saved that one then. It would have been good for April Fools! :lol:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The whole "like" thing above was tongue in cheek. Just a hasty, caffeine addled "stream of consciousness" muse in the early morning hours.

Makes absolutely no whoop to me whether one does or doesn't.

Well, we appreciate your writing skills here in the Grille Fella. Shakespeare

could have learned a few things hanging out with this group.

We treat each other like senators, my highly accomplished and esteemed

friend from the great state of Michigan. Not only the writing skills but no

doubt the oratory skills of this group are without peer in the rest of WRXdom.

I can only imagine us on a golf course, carrying our like buttons, and liking

each others' shots; even the ones hit off into the hinterlands or to a place where

gills would make life a little easier. :)

TYVM Conrad. Just trying to keep the conversation lively.

Believe that I have the oratory skills of Patrick Henry in debating great topics of the day. Or that is the legend in my own mind. Until crossing paths with the Mrs. in debating whatever the topic of the day may be. Then I'm a loser. ALWAYS come out on the short end. (Tell me something I don't already know Fella.) After 32 years of matrimonial bliss, one of these days, I'm going to learn. If you open your mouth, you lose. Keep it shut, you win. They can't stand it when you say nothing. Or so goes the theory.

If fate was ever to have a hand in all of us meeting for a round, not sure on the decorum that would ensue. After the perfunctory greetings and salutations as we first meet. Lasting until perhaps the first tee. Then evolving into the fine art of the trash talk. "Hey, great shot. Why the hell did 'ya hit 20 yards short of the green?" And you're my teammate. We'd save our best for the competition (i.e. the other Grillsters).

Kinda how it is when playing with the "Buds". If you require stoney silence to execute a golf shot, or can't handle any back-handed chattering's about crappy golf shots, we aren't the group for you. "See ya have the old man's swing working well for you today." Playing better has a way of silencing the peanut gallery.

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)