2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

@scomac2002 When I was at the range on Saturday this kid was hitting balls two bays down. Probably 18 years old. He was hitting 200 yard 6-irons (range balls, on a cold day), and his drives were picked by NORAD as UFO's. One of my regular playing partners is a 23 year old lad who hits it like that. I started the game at 50 and NEVER hit it like that...and closing in on 65 I doubt if I ever will. lol
  • Like 2

That BMI number is horse puckey. At 5 11 I'm supposed to weigh 150 160. Well, a few years ago i was 180 with a 32 waist. And not a muffin top 32 either. Lol. You look at some of these pro athletes that go 220 lbs and they're shredded. That number doesn't take into account body fat percentage. Two people can weigh 200 and look totally different.

Dont have any answers on the distance topic. A regulation tour ball and/or equipment mods for the pros may help. Average Joe's could still play what they wanted like Stu says they do in baseball with the bats. Am Tournaments can set their own rules on what's legal and so on. Of course, then you run into whats considered an official handicap because of the equipment used and so on.

Itll be ugly no matter what. If they don't make changes there'll be some upset people. If they do, there'll be some upset people. They need to come up with something that upsets everyone a little....except Stu and me.....we'll do whatever the heck we want and y'all will just have to like it. Lmao!!!

If they do the pro tour equipment thing, you'll have a certain sect of golfers that would only play what the pros play. Then you'll have a smaller sect of that group that'll claim it's not golf unless you play what the pros play. Lol. We'll kick those guys out of the OGA. LOL.

I remember back when Mr. Jack first discovered the titanium driver in Japan. He claimed to have paid $1000 for it and said it's a game changer. Now, he wants to roll the ball back.

That's all I got for now. Hope y'all can decipher it. Putting my thoughts into the written word hasn't always been a strong suit

• Like 3

All you big boys make this little fella feel even smaller, 5’6” just around 165, up and down a little dependant on how much I snack. My fit judo fighting weight was 154lbs, 11 stone, 70 kgs. Even at my fittest they always said I was overweight with my BMI, I could train hard at least 4 days a week for up to six hours. Go figure how the BMI is supposed to work.

• Like 3

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

That first paragraph sums it up for me in a nutshell and I will add my two hot dams to it--- I could care less

• Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I was up early yesterday morning watching the re run of the Pebble Beach event---- What I like is when the announcers especially that know it all Faldo are suddenly proved wrong. On the 15th hole the Canadian guy that was leading the tournament ( and eventually won) had a difficult chip with Mickelson closing in. Faldo in all his know it all glory stated something to the fact that if it got it up and down it would be some accomplishment. The guy chipped it in and so deft too!!! No pin banger just rolled in normal speed like a putt. Of course along the way Faldo was clamoring about balata and persimmon. I mean heck I play balata and persimmon on occasion myself but have absolutely no illusions concerning that versus the modern game. I will watch some but prefer to watch the Champion's Tour and the LPGA

• Like 4

Oh yes I know it is hard to lose at our age--- Part of mine is stress--- At work a lot gets thrown on me it seems it is always "count on Stu to get it done" My Doc says stress can cause weight gain too. since announcing my retirement the stress has came down 100% in other words I could care less whether the contract is met or not. One of the other drivers who is 65 years old has announced to them he is retiring in November. I have been running around singing the old George Jones song " Whose Gonna Fill Their Shoes ?" for the last week. I also made me what the Navy guys know as a short timers rope which is a short piece of rope attached to a key chain clip and you take a lighter and burn a little more off each day. I bought a new lighter for it and make it a point in front of certain folks to burn off a little each day. we are training 2 new drivers and I guess I have my replacement today.

I have gotten where I run only one trip a day and have been stopping by the course on the way home and hitting balls. Not being cooped up in the truck all day and hitting balls in the afternoon is making me feel better both physically and mentally. And also being short time and not giving 2 hoots about the contracts etc is helping me mentally. They did ask when I went in and put in my formal notice Why? at 62 1/2. I told them I had been on their rears for over a year about cutting back and as usual they do not listen so I took the bull by the horns myself. I figure more than likely when we get those 2 drivers trained they will cut me loose early makes no difference to me I have other stuff I can do until my SS checks arrive.

• Like 3

I am a big Jack fan but not so much in latter years. He has gotten in his old age where is is babbling and being a hypocrite. When he was younger and hitting the balata and persimmon 300 yards you did not hear him clamoring about rolling the ball back. I remember his golf company was selling those stupid looking logo balls with the Golden Bear on them. then he wonders why when he was talking all the time about rolling the ball back why his branded balls did not sell. He has gotten me so mad lately I have considered taking every piece of equipment I have with Nicklaus on it and personally throwing it in the shredder myself. Jack needs to shut up and just babble to Barbara and Jack Jr.

• Like 4

Excessive distance is a concern voiced by no one in my golfing circle. Nor have I seen or played a course that had to be modified because golfers were shredding a course from the black tees. Then again, I'm just a public course duffer that doesn't play on "hollowed grounds". I don't care what the USGA does concerning the distance matter. All I need is sufficient advance notice prior to "roll back" to hoard a life time supply of illegal, "go far" golf balls.

P.S. On the spy website, briefed trough an analysis of the report. The following chart contained within shows the distance for amateur (club) golfers was steady to declining. Perhaps due to an aging demographic?? Of course it was based on R & A data and not the USGA. Surprised (not) they haven't performed their own data analysis of amateur level driving distances. Draw your own conclusions.

J4HE4MAMXT9H.jpg

• Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

For the record. I'm 6'2" and weigh 16.2857 stones. Have lost about 1.5 stones in the last 6 months. I've always been what one would call big boned. Weighed 190 for two weeks, when I was like 15. Was just passing through. Dropped a waist size, thus enabling me to scrounge a better selection of golf shorts at the local thrifts. Plaid shorts now fit without fabric line distortion. Although I've yet to notice a difference in how I "turn the mass" during the golf swing.

• Like 3

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

For the record I am 6' 2" and tip the scales to 15.464 stone as of yesterday morning. I have gained .898 stone in the last 6 months. Like Fella I weighed 190 for a couple of weeks when I was 16. Unfortunately, my feeling better gain has caused me to have to go out and purchase a new pair of pants that fit more comfortably. On the plus side of things, some of my shorts are fitting better and I'm not always having to pull them up!

In terms of turning the mass, that's going to be an issue. I've really noticed that my range of motion is dropping, certainly rotationally. I guess I'm going to be forced into another swing change to accommodate that. Might find that I'm going to be hitting more of a fade than my old draw, especially with the woods. It's going to be important this season to actually try and get some practice time in and work on a few things.

• Like 3

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I am one of the fortunate ones. I was a sophomore in high school , at 5' 10" and 178.

Today ,i am still the same height, and am at 185. After my medical issues three years ago,

i was down to 143,so i have gained all that weight ,and am hoping it has leveled off ! I have

never been a long hitter,but I am still in the 220 to 235 range,and most are in the short grass.

I love the game, but not the way some of the obsessed guys on here do. I have NEVER purchased

a single item because some pro used it. I got into the single length brigade at the suggestion

from my fitter,who does the Sterlings, and I went with the Cobras. Go figure.! The last truck I will own

is almost 11 years old, and I own my house,because my brother-in-law said to keep the house

loan for taxes,so I paid it off because i hate monthly bills. LOL. Guess I am just a contrary ole cuss

And finally, i believe 100 % in leaving people alone. I do not care how someone else lives their

life,dresses, what they own or who/what they are married to. I think it is known as live and let live .

My gramps raised me and he simply called it minding his own business and letting others do the same !

Sadly, i see those country traditions changing,and not for the better. Future generations have some problems coming !

• Like 3

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

When looking at the chart posted above it's hard to see what all the fuss is about other than with the professional touring player. Distance peaked on 2009 for the average and all the way back in 2003 for the better player! The tech obviously favours the professional rather than the recreational player, so all this talk of forgiveness is debatable looking at averages.

When you look at the vagaries of distance averages it renews the confidence in playing older gear because although the trend maybe up, it's not moving along at breakneck pace despite all the hype that the manufacturers are marketing.

• Like 3

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I got a kick out of that graph (and the others) on MGS... there is NOTHING in that graphic that shows the ball for us normal folks needs a roll-back. However, for some reason the pros are hitting 300+ carry drives and 7 irons at 200 yards. What could be behind this?? Hmmm... I KNOW!!! They hit balls all the time, train all the time, and they have free reign of the trailer at every golf event!!! Give me access to the trailer and guys who will build me whatever it takes to get to be the best (WITHOUT ME PAYING FOR IT!) and I just might find another 10-20 yards off the tee. There might be an exotic "hand crafted" shaft out there I cannot test (or afford) that would give me the big numbers.

Also, you might want to take a look at the loft on that 7 iron and see what it actually would be. Just saying.

I'll be 44 in a couple months, just under 6 foot and weigh anywhere from 210 to 216 depending on what season it is and how often I have been in India. Generally when I am not playing my driver is in the 240-250 range, and when I am able to hit here and there ... well, you've seen some of the numbers I can generate. There are drawbacks to hitting the 290 bombs... sore back, sore rotator cuffs, sore everything else. What I find interesting is when I gain over 25% off the tee I don't even see a 10% increase in irons. In fact, the iron distances are pretty much locked in. 7 iron carries around 152-158yds regardless of how much I have been hitting. HOWEVER, my 7 iron loft is 34 degrees... which is between an 8 and 9 iron in the new Mavrik Pro irons. I am NOT joking about this... the 8 iron is 31.5 degrees and the 9 iron is 36 degrees!! That is absurd! PW is 41, AW at 46, and GW at 51. Apparently I would need about ... 10 wedges these days to get my gaps right.

I wonder how many of the younger pros play these absurdly strong lofts? Supposedly Eldrick plays the same lofts as he did in High School... although I would doubt that these days.

• Like 3

Bill, this is me almost word for word. 5 10 170 when I graduated. I put on a little weight with my health issues instead of losing it but not much and on my way back. Heck, even my 4runner is 11 yrs old. Lol. A normal drive is 240 250ish. Or was. Sometimes I could crank it out there a little farther. Other times I'll catch it in the heel which is usually my miss and hope for 225.

Live and let live.

• Like 3

Considering the average drive for those 60 and over is 196 yards, I would say you are doing pretty well. :-)

My average is under 200. I have a decent short game, but I don't know how to make a full swing. Even with all the lessons and all the practice, it still eludes me. I know what I am supposed to do, I just can't do it. I may have to move up to the forward tees this coming season.

• Like 2

My average has never been long, 180 would be about it right from the start. My first game of golf was in my mid 20s, I was in a tournament darts team and most of them played golf so I was invited along for a game.on the first tee, first game, first time holding a club they said put it on there and hit it, so I did, and that really has been my golf game ever since. Did not play for many years and started again in my 60s. Enjoy the game, the company sometimes but most of all challenging myself.

Seeing doctor tomorrow for test results, DW had to help me out if bed this morning again, pain goes off some during the day and I can function reasonably well until bedtime. Here’s to a good treatment regime.

• Like 3

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

@ Sean: I was a fortunate person my whole life because i was pretty good at the three teams

all the way thru 18. Then the military....another 7 years of physical fitness, followed by a lifetime

of staying fit due to job requirements. I still am flexible enough to get a full swing. I don't have

a great swing,which is why i was never a 250 and above hitter. Just lucky enough to have maintained

it at this late date ! I have noticed almost 1/2 club drop off in the irons. Do not know if it is me, or the one length irons.

May have to take a normal 8 iron out next time and see whats up, if its anything other than age. Wanta be

really discouraged? We have two guys in our group, both around 6',and 200, and both are my age...73...and they will

consistently lay it out there in the short grass right at the 260/270 mark. Almost every time. Their short game sucks.

lol! My group played ball together since we were kids,and these two have always been the long hitters in golf,baseball

and basketball...fun to watch them hit !

• Like 3

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

The cardiologist told me my fitness level for my age group is "outstanding". So I can't blame being out of shape, lol. As to my short game, our club champion four years running said he wishes he had mine. The reason I have a decent short game is I don't hit many greens in regulation. I can hit the ball, I just can't hit it very far. If I have to play the forward tees that is what I will do. I don't particularly enjoy hitting fairway woods into greens, lol.

• Like 2

Seeing doctor tomorrow for test results, DW had to help me out if bed this morning again, pain goes off some during the day and I can function reasonably well until bedtime. Here’s to a good treatment regime.Best of luck with the doc @tolmij . Hope they get to the bottom of this soon and come up with a successful treatment plan.

• Like 3

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)