2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

@ Sean : The senior tees are there for a reason. None of us can outrun Father Time forever.

The whole idea of this game to me is it is fun, it is exercise, it is competition,even if the only

one you are challenging is yourself, and the joy of playing with friends. I am getting close to the senior

tees myself. I can hit good tee shots and still be looking at H/5/6 in,and there are days it seems every approach

shot i am outa gas and end up short.! Like you, i enjoy the game,and when i stop having fun ,it will be time to find

another hobby !BUT, moving to the senior tees will not take away from my enjoyment. I simply look at my age and

i figure i can play from any darn tee box i want !

When i play the short tees, and some one says something after a rare good tee shot, my normal rely is i will move back one

on every hole they do the same. Usually quiets them down !

• Like 2

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

I hit the ball about the appropriate distance for my swing speed which is mid 80's. Most of the numbers that get quoted in these parts are way beyond my ability.

I've never been on video so I just don't know what I look like versus what I think I look like. 3/4 swing is probably the best compromise between distance and control for me. When I get longer I get sloppy. I probably slide more than rotate and weight shift is fairly limited although I do drive through the ball with my back leg so it maybe better than I realize.

I terms of skill, my best attribute is a full swing with an 8 iron down to a SW. I can manufacture part swings to keep the flight down and pitch reasonably well. Chipping is another story as I seem to decelerate through the hitting zone.

Best individual club is my 5 hybrid. I can hit that sucker from anywhere with good result. If nothing else works, hit that little wood off the tee and then keep on hitting it!

Driving is actually pretty good most days. I can get the odd one out there in the summer when I'm nice and loose in the 230-250 range. I can generally keep it in play, but I wouldn't say I'm a high percentage fairway finder.

Fairway woods and mid irons leave lots to be desired. Hoping that moving to softer flex shafts will help.

Putting has been the bane of my existence since forever. It's strange; I can shoot par on a putt-putt course or win a putting competition at a scramble, but out there in the wild, I'm far from consistent. I've tried lots of putters; long, short, blade, mallet, big grips, slender grips. Anything that works will be short lived. At least that's been my history. Judging pace is the single hardest aspect of this game for me. If I have a decent day with my short game, then I seem to putt much better than average. The combination usually results in me posting a good score. If I kept the ball in play and didn't incur any penalties then I likely just posted the best round of the year for me.

• Like 3

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The State had a beautiful golf curse down here, about 30 minutes from me. At a State Park. Been there since i was a young man.

The leased it out to a private company and saved money by no employees pay/benefits. Well, after many years ,it has been shut down.They are going to put a " VIP TYPE" campground in there,. Now this is indeed sad,since i dont see them having enough people coming to it to make it worthwhile. I think the management company wanted a huge increase in their contract and the state just closed it, but they wont admit that.

Had one beautiful hole running along the Ohio river with a great view looking downstream.Sad, . Nice course.

• Like 3

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Well... I did it. I took the Cobra F9 (my personal one) against the MavrikSZ and hit each about 35 times on the monitor. I switched back and forth when I was "warming up," when I was up to speed, and when I was "tiring" to see how the numbers worked out. In the end... the Mavrik has made its way into the bag and the Cobra F9 was returned. The major factor for me was NOT the total distance (there was 5-8 yards difference), but rather the "tired" numbers when I was missing or taking "smooth" swings. When I smoothed out, the spin rate on the F9 went up over 3000 rpm (which I had seen previously) and the total distance plummeted to about 258-260yds (235 carry, give or take) while the MavrikSZ stayed down to 2500rpm and ended up in the 270 range (245 carry, give or take). That sort of difference was just too hard to ignore seeing as my next driver purchase will be in my 50's, more or less.

Well, I am ready for bed. Yet another long day coming up tomorrow...

EDIT: I noticed I got censored for using the letters M-G-S together... interesting.

• Like 2

@tolmij M_G_S is the acronym of the rival golf website of forum.
  • Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I guess this new technology must work. @Gauchograd99 you're definitely seeing a boost and we're only talking about one model year's difference.
I know that @Sean2 has spoken highly of his Mavrik irons. I was reading a thread on them over on the dark side and the lofts are really quite something. I now understand why your longest iron might be a 7. Comparing the Mavrik to the Ping i25's I had which were new in 2014, the PW is the same as my 9 iron was in loft and the 7 iron is the same as my 5 iron was in loft. Go figure? Do the Mavrik's really launch that high to need the lofts compressed that low in order to achieve the desired ballflight? Maybe we do need a wider spread and stronger lofts in order to get acceptable gaps as we age? The Burner + that I currently have in the bag are 5° loft differential from the 9 iron to AW and then 4° on down to the 6 iron. The lengths between clubs also goes up as the lofts get stronger to help provide a meaningful gap. You could go bonkers trying to sort through all this seeing if there was a benefit. No wonder the guys that work in the big box golf shops hit balls everyday when it's slow...

• Like 3

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The face seems to be the key... and head weighting. When I missed "badly" high toe, the ball would go 265+ in the Mavrik and 258-260 with the Cobra. HOWEVER, if it was a case where I did not come up into the ball and spun the ball, the F9 had issues for me holding distance. 238-255 when up around 3200 rpm spin or the F9 while I really had to "iron swing" it to get to 3000 rpm with the Mavrik SZ.

Here is where it gets interesting: I have also hit the standard Mavrik head and the "Max" ... and they spun like a top for me. I could not get either under 3000rpm backspin with the same shaft I could get down to 1800rpm with the SZ head. I guess weight and position matters. Also, the "normal golfer" (I am not technically who club makers are designing for by swing speed and handicap) might get some help from a little extra spin in keeping the ball in the air longer and getting more distance. They probably don't use their hands like I do either (thanks a lot hockey and tennis).

• Like 3

Nope, verboten. The Powers that Be don't like the competition being referenced. Can't blame them really. Clicks mean revenue. And clicks away from WRX, would have a negative impact on the revenue stream. Perhaps not singularily, but in the aggregate meaningful. However the metrics are measured as it relates to advertising rates.

Been frequenting over there with increased regularity. What with all the snafus's occurring around here software-wise. See some familiar names there as well (Big Stu, NRJ, et al.). I've not joined however. Do find their take on site generated subject matter a bit different than here. Brief perusals of the forums seem to be less confrontational. But my sample size is small. Find "over there" to be a welcome change of pace for lack of a better description.

• Like 3

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Time to have a chat with the Powers that Be @Conrad1953

• Like 3

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I joined the other site back in the summer when things got particularly bad here and no one was posting. It's like starting all over and getting used to something completely new. Can be good, can be no so good.

I get emails from them regularly promoting this or that , but I haven't bothered to visit in a long time now once things started to pick up here again. I guess it's as much a matter of not wanting to leave friends behind and having to start all over building new relationships. I've been going through plenty of change lately and I guess I'm not really looking for anymore if I can avoid it!

• Like 3

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Really, why not admit the competition exists? Who's fooling who? If you watch cable news you will

see they all talk about each other; play video clips from each other, etc, etc. It's stupid to act like

your competition doesn't exist. It makes you appear fearful of the competition.

It makes more sense to embrace your competition and relentlessly try to be better than they are.

• Like 2

Silly me for not recognising those letters, I joined back when the trouble started, go over and look some times but as with you most of my buddies are on here, and Grille traffic is picking up very well.

• Like 3

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

You have to believe it and they take it much more serious than real crime, do what you like to someone or take all their property and it can take days for them to even attend,speak to someone with the wrong words and the response is immediate. 1984 here we come.

• Like 3

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

I have something called Polymyalgia rheumatica which is a condition where the bodies immune system attacks itself, so it is attacking my muscles, it goes off later in the day which apparently is also the way it works. Treatment started today which can take up to 12months for a complete clean up. Had several other tests today to eliminate other possibilities.

thank you for your concern and thanks to all Grillers for your best wishes.

it should start to reduce within three days so we shall see.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

@tolmij. Sheesh buddy! Hopefully you have confidence in the accuracy of the diagnosis and treatment path moving forward. Half the battle sometimes is having the Docs correctly determine one's condition. All that best for positive progress and you're back to chopping wood, painting, golfing, living life pain free quickly.
  • Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

At present we have possibly the best and most efficient doctor we have ever had, we have never come away from his surgery with the impression we have not been given all the information and diagnosis available. Today and again on Monday I am going through other tests that will eliminate any other possibility. He listens which to my mind is the most important part.

• Like 3

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)