Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

I don't usually make fun of other golfers, but I played with a couple guys today who were the quintessential 'I never play this bad' guys. Nice guys, and good company, but they would hit one squirrely shot after another, right, left, chunky, etc, and constantly comment on what's going on, I never play like this. Then on one tee, after complaining again one guy says, 'Yeah, I don't understand it, I mean, Mike is a 4, and I'm a 6'. OK, the guy who said that, Jim, lined up his shots about 30* right, waaay closed, and swung OTT with a good amount of weight on his back foot, and what a surprise, he missed left and right. The other guy Mike had a stance at least 1ft wider than his shoulders, like a baseball batter's stance. Both of them had quick muscular arm swings, I've seen it a million times. I just had to hold in the chuckle when he told me their 'handicaps'.

I see it a lot when I play with people who come down here to play the trail.

I can tell the difference between a good player having a bad day and a bad

player having a bad day, lol. It's funny because people don't seem to realize

that and they'll try to BS you sometimes. Like you, I just hold my tongue.

I don't know why people even bother with the BS cause most are not

fooled by it. The best one is when they tell you they're a scratch normally but

they're going through a "swing change" right now, lol.

As our old bud RP would say..................swing change this!!! LMAO.

I liker playing with golfers who just own up to who they are. These 4 and 6 hcs probably shot around 92. Cmon man. I can tell a 4 hc on the first swing - and it isn't always because of prettiness, but from ball impact and flight.

I don't usually make fun of other golfers, but I played with a couple guys today who were the quintessential 'I never play this bad' guys. Nice guys, and good company, but they would hit one squirrely shot after another, right, left, chunky, etc, and constantly comment on what's going on, I never play like this. Then on one tee, after complaining again one guy says, 'Yeah, I don't understand it, I mean, Mike is a 4, and I'm a 6'. OK, the guy who said that, Jim, lined up his shots about 30* right, waaay closed, and swung OTT with a good amount of weight on his back foot, and what a surprise, he missed left and right. The other guy Mike had a stance at least 1ft wider than his shoulders, like a baseball batter's stance. Both of them had quick muscular arm swings, I've seen it a million times. I just had to hold in the chuckle when he told me their 'handicaps'.

Hey Conrad, I was going through a swing change when we.....

Ah, who am I kidding. I'm always going through a swing change. LMAO!! :D

It's just funny what people feel compelled to say when it comes to golf. They

feel the need to "explain" why they're not playing well that day or any day.

There's no need to explain......it's golf; everyone gets it. We all pretty much

suck; we just suck differently and at different times.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Hey Conrad, I was going through a swing change when we.....

Ah, who am I kidding. I'm always going through a swing change. LMAO!! :D

It's just funny what people feel compelled to say when it comes to golf. They

feel the need to "explain" why they're not playing well that day or any day.

There's no need to explain......it's golf; everyone gets it. We all pretty much

suck; we just suck differently and at different times.

That's my MO. Sometimes I'm pretty good. Sometimes I suck.

I'm sitting in my living room waiting for a putter and accessories to arrive. I get so excited when a shipment is 'out for delivery'.

Anyone score some new equipment of note?

Won't ask you to spill the beans until said putter is in hand and played. Then pics and a review is required.

New Equipment? Probably will never go down that path again. Unless I win the lotto or something. With that said, like MC, been perusing for a fairway wood. More specifically, a 4W in good shape for a good price. Figure I can replace two fairways (3 & 5) with one. Just not sure what flavor yet. Play V-Steels now, but......."looking for magic".

Now if we're talking new old stuff, I've been dabbling a bit. When I stumble into something intriguing (and dirt cheap), can't just turn my back and walk away. Some recent acquisitions. Can't remember where I've posted these, probably just over in Classic.

MacGregor Tourney FC 4000 M2 irons (2-9), circa 1963. Black ceramic face, quite pristine leather wrap grips, and the very cool "crown" ferrules all in one piece. Were quite rusty and dusty when found but cleaned up better than I had anticipated. Fresh paint fill was added. Had a FC4000 TA D.S. wedge around that was added to complete the set. Haven't tried them out yet, maybe a future range session. They are to short but nothing I can do with extensions on these.

MacGregor Reg M85 Colokroms (3 - PW). Not the originals from the mid-50's. These are the remakes form the 80's. Shafted TT Dynamic stiff. But in good overall condition, needing just a little spiffing up to make presentable. Will freshen the paint when I get around to it. They need grips, thinking the Perma Wrap Classics I've been hoarding for just the right set. I'm a sucker for a pretty (copper) face. These might find their way to the course, guaranteed no one else will be 'gaming' a set that day. Sometimes it's better to look good than play good.

Oh yeah, in the middle. A Wilson Original 600 Geo Low putter. Pretty rough with the plating flaking off in some spots. But for a buck, what the heck. Maybe take it PD Raw and torch it. It's forged carbon steel so may flame up nicely.

Other than that, nothing new to play mediocre golf with.

LOL you just have to keep on tormenting me dont ya? :taunt: :slow_en: Those Colokromes are just like the ones I gave to one of our young assistants last year. They had S-400s in them. I think you will like the FCs they are one solid hitting iron not buttery but solid and if hit flush especially the long irons they are a rocket. And once you play that wedge you will understand why I have so much lead tape in my wedges those old Mac wedges are heavy as heck but that is what I was raised on and learned with. Yours are identical to the set my old man handed down to me. BTW The George Low is fine as it is as I always say it does have character but it would look awesone with the "PD touch" flamed in the raw. One of those timeless classics that looks good any way you do it up like country ham and grits!!! Ha Ha just had to throw a "grille" reference in there

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Edit: Some swing thoughts - I started out tired after working so I muddled along picking up some pars with some good shots and hitting some meh shots, but as I was trying stuff through the round on the last 4 holes I decided I needed to initiate more with hips/knees since I had been turning over the top too much. I started puring shots. I have always been a little gunshy of firing the hips/knees too much, because in the past it has led to spin out slices, but now I am learning I can use that when I see I'm turning over a base that is not keeping up.

I did the arm swing for a little while because honestly I was so damn fat the old body would not turn. But I maintained my 5 hdcp because of my short game. I lost a lot of weight and started turning again but do not play a lot anymore. I have never had a lot of lower movement in the legs and have happy feet like Patrick Reed always have. You can tell where I have practiced on the range at. I take big divots especially with the wedges and where I stood looks like several chickens have had a barnyard fight there

A bad golfer having a bad day is not a pretty sight, that's why I would never allow any video of my game to hit the Internet. There is only so much pain you should inflict on fellow human beings.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

LOL you just have to keep on tormenting me dont ya? :taunt: :slow_en: Those Colokromes are just like the ones I gave to one of our young assistants last year. They had S-400s in them. I think you will like the FCs they are one solid hitting iron not buttery but solid and if hit flush especially the long irons they are a rocket. And once you play that wedge you will understand why I have so much lead tape in my wedges those old Mac wedges are heavy as heck but that is what I was raised on and learned with. Yours are identical to the set my old man handed down to me. BTW The George Low is fine as it is as I always say it does have character but it would look awesone with the "PD touch" flamed in the raw. One of those timeless classics that looks good any way you do it up like country ham and grits!!! Ha Ha just had to throw a "grille" reference in there

Naw Stu, not trying to torment in the least. As I've mentioned before, you're a classical inspiration. Or demise. Haven't concluded which yet. But early on, when I discovered the Classic section, your stories about this and that old club(s) and the people who played them (primarily "the old man") resonated. There where others as well, but primarily yourself. So all that has since transpired going down this primrose path, I lay at your feet. Furthermore, I figure its just Karma since we both joined WRX on the very same day. Destiny was in play.

Didn't even think of the Stu option for the Wilson putter. Let it stay all ratty and gnarly, rust up more that it is now. Think up an apropos name, got to be called something. Yeah, that's the ticket. (And a whole lot simpler.)

The tell of a good golfer having a bad day v. an average golfer making excuses, its all in the swing. And as TTB said, the corresponding ball flight. They may be errant on a given day, but they don't hack. Over the course of 18 holes, hackers gonna hack. A golfing absolutism. But I don't usually run into peeps having the need to tell me their handicap number. As a means of explanation for the alleged quality of their game. The buds and I calculate handicap OGA style. Anything you want it to be. Just that it cannot be used during the weekly shootout with the suspects. My excuse whilst hacking........."Haven't played that much golf this year".

I'm with you Tol, no video of my swing shall every be being posted on the internets. Afraid the swing MD's around here would critique by saying maybe I should consider taking up bowling. And no knock on bowlers, I did it for a number of years. Was semi proficient at it, at least not a "hack".

What confounds me with this silly game is how on one hole, can do everything right. Post an easy par, maybe sink a putt for a bird. Then on the very next hole, play like you've never hit a golf ball in your life. Maddening. Frustrating. But then I remember the old line about not being good enough to get mad. It helps. A little. Least it keeps me in check so that I don't throw a club or something stupid. Albeit, been known to pound one "with authority" every once in awhile. Stupid game.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Mr Reason (et. al.), on the subject of "holes in one", or lack thereof. Just saw this elsewhere. Thought I drag it over here. Sometimes the golfing life just isn't fair. Have a great day.

http://golf.about.com/b/2007/04/19/golfer-records-his-51st-hole-in-one.htm

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Mr Reason (et. al.), on the subject of "holes in one", or lack thereof. Just saw this elsewhere. Thought I drag it over here. Sometimes the golfing life just isn't fair. Have a great day.

http://golf.about.co...hole-in-one.htm

Great read! Thank you, sir!

The odds in Vegas are not in my favor. But the bookie in my heart has not given up on me!

It actually might be best if it never happens. That would bring an end to part of this whole journey.... or worse.... it might set a new expectation of getting two rather than just the one. Even my heart's bookie has his limits! lol.

I believe it was you who once said the actual goal of getting a hole in one has to take a back seat - otherwise it will probably never happen. So there is an effort on my part to put a good swing on it and let the chips fall wherever they fall. (LOL - so far that strategy isn't paying off but there's always tomorrow!) I'm no different than others in my shoes on this one. They've lipped out - stopped on the lip, nicked the flagstick, hit the flag and dropped down. Bad shots have come very close and good shots have done said same. It just hasn't happened - YET.

Fella and crew,

You are looking at a German Stainless Xenon mallet with brass thrusert and alignment rods. A finish that appears mocha with purple hues depending on lighting. Brass shaft band, black chrome shaft, Best Grips leather stitchback. Specs are 360 grams, 33.5", 4* of loft, 68* lie angle, 3:15 toe hang (nearly faced balanced). Four maple leafs to represent each member of my family. Simply put, everything I was looking for in one putter. Not saying she's the last, but definitely a keeper.

I've come to the conclusion through lots of trial and error that I'm a mallet man. Brass is my favourite material.

We'll see how she rolls I'm a few days. For now I get to stare and rolls balls on the carpet.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

PD - Incredible - as always my friend! You never cease to amaze. Any back story? Is it targeted for little PD, yourself? Edit - I just read that it's intended for you - sorry.

She's a beaut - that much is for sure. You've mentioned your short game this season has been reliable. Did you tend to stick with the same wedges and putter during that improvement or did you freely trade out equipment?

Ladies and gents I should have clarified. When I sad 'new' I meant 'new to you'.

Fella, those irons are drool worthy. A handsome restore. What do the copper faces feel like? How do they wear?

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

PD - Incredible - as always my friend! You never cease to amaze. Any back story? Is it targeted for little PD, yourself? Edit - I just read that it's intended for you - sorry.

She's a beaut - that much is for sure. You've mentioned your short game this season has been reliable. Did you tend to stick with the same wedges and putter during that improvement or did you freely trade out equipment?

Here's the back story. I have wanted a thrusert since I purchased my first custom putter, but didn't know what material. I now own carbon, stainless, copper, ALBZ, and brass putters. The last material is my favourite feel. I was on Puttertalk one night and this putter popped up for a more than reasonable price. The putter had every feature I had cooked up in my mind for a 'perfect putter' with a couple of funky features (the face stamping and brass alignment rods). I sent Lumpy a request to modify the toe hang, refinish the head, and adjust specs (in addition to purchasing a new headcover, grip and bag tag) and he told me to send the putter after I purchased it. Johnny (the seller and super cool dude) sent the putter to Lump and a few months later it arrived at my door step.

In the meantime I rotated every putter I had this summer. I have three blades and four mallets (from mid mallet to large mallet) of various materials. All the putters are nearly identical set-ups (save for headweight as I have a range of 360 - 380 grams) Putts per round didn't change all that much, but I was more consistent and made more putts with the mallets. The outstanding performer of the summer was the Machine Megalodon. My first custom and a putter my wife purchased for me nearly two years ago.

The putter is for personal use, but I'll have no issues sharing any of my clubs with my son if he chooses to take up the game down the road. The little 7 year old I've been playing with the past month has rolled three of my customs and really likes my Mannkrafted brass Rattler. I'm all for sharing my love of equipment with anyone who's interested. There's no point getting excited about equipment if you can't share that excitement with others.

The big short game break through came from a 30 minute lesson I took indoors last winter (you may remember the session from my discussions). My instructor taught me how to properly use the bounce on my wedges, how to vary ball-flight through set up changes, and how to use my body effectively. He also provided me with a few putting suggestions. I had gone left hand low to square my shoulders, but was playing the ball too far back in my stance. I was striking the ball with a descending blow and the ball was hopping in the first few feet. I began putting on a steel yard ruler, move the ball up in the stance, and shorted my back swing. I also focus on finishing with my hands lower in the follow through and attempt to maintain a firm lead wrist through impact.

A real highlight came in a match play round this summer once the putting and chipping/pitches changes began to take hold. My partner and I were short sided to an elevated green that sloped back to front. We had to execute a 20 yard pitch shot that stopped quickly. I opened my 58* wedge, played the ball in the middle of my stance and hit a shot that landed a few feet short of the hole, the ball hopped once and landed a foot beyond the hole, zipped backed and hit the cup. The ball did a 180* and popped out. Our opposition were on the green and the commented that it was a 'tour shot'. I've had more than a few moments like that this summer, but it was nice to execute the shot under 'pressure'. I didn't have that (or a few other short game shots) in the arsenal last year. I had no concept how to hit the shot.

I've learned that a really good short game can mask deficiencies in other areas. The next step is to address driving issues that have plagued me for years and thin shots that have crept into my game this summer.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Here's the back story. I have wanted a thrusert since I purchased my first custom putter, but didn't know what material. I now own carbon, stainless, copper, ALBZ, and brass putters. The last material is my favourite feel. I was on Puttertalk one night and this putter popped up for a more than reasonable price. The putter had every feature I had cooked up in my mind for a 'perfect putter' with a couple of funky features (the face stamping and brass alignment rods). I sent Lumpy a request to modify the toe hang, refinish the head, and adjust specs (in addition to purchasing a new headcover, grip and bag tag) and he told me to send the putter after I purchased it. Johnny (the seller and super cool dude) sent the putter to Lump and a few months later it arrived at my door step.

In the meantime I rotated every putter I had this summer. I have three blades and four mallets (from mid mallet to large mallet) of various materials. All the putters are nearly identical set-ups (save for headweight as I have a range of 360 - 380 grams) Putts per round didn't change all that much, but I was more consistent and made more putts with the mallets. The outstanding performer of the summer was the Machine Megalodon. My first custom and a putter my wife purchased for me nearly two years ago.

The putter is for personal use, but I'll have no issues sharing any of my clubs with my son if he chooses to take up the game down the road. The little 7 year old I've been playing with the past month has rolled three of my customs and really likes my Mannkrafted brass Rattler. I'm all for sharing my love of equipment with anyone who's interested. There's no point getting excited about equipment if you can't share that excitement with others.

The big short game break through came from a 30 minute lesson I took indoors last winter (you may remember the session from my discussions). My instructor taught me how to properly use the bounce on my wedges, how to vary ball-flight through set up changes, and how to use my body effectively. He also provided me with a few putting suggestions. I had gone left hand low to square my shoulders, but was playing the ball too far back in my stance. I was striking the ball with a descending blow and the ball was hopping in the first few feet. I began putting on a steel yard ruler, move the ball up in the stance, and shorted my back swing. I also focus on finishing with my hands lower in the follow through and attempt to maintain a firm lead wrist through impact.

A real highlight came in a match play round this summer once the putting and chipping/pitches changes began to take hold. My partner and I were short sided to an elevated green that sloped back to front. We had to execute a 20 yard pitch shot that stopped quickly. I opened my 58* wedge, played the ball in the middle of my stance and hit a shot that landed a few feet short of the hole, the ball hopped once and landed a foot beyond the hole, zipped backed and hit the cup. The ball did a 180* and popped out. Our opposition were on the green and the commented that it was a 'tour shot'. I've had more than a few moments like that this summer, but it was nice to execute the shot under 'pressure'. I didn't have that (or a few other short game shots) in the arsenal last year. I had no concept how to hit the shot.

I've learned that a really good short game can mask deficiencies in other areas. The next step is to address driving issues that have plagued me for years and thin shots that have crept into my game this summer.

Phew! I'm SO trying to relate. You're talking to a guy who never ever - under any circumstances changes the putter.

Everything in the bag has been slow to change except for wedges. Those puppies are in/out as easily as changing underwear. LOL. But everything else changes very slowly and deliberately. The putter is the one sacred cow. Nothing ever goes in it's place.

But I'm listening to ya, man. I'm paying attention. You've worn off on me before. If you somehow manage to get me on the putter trail - you've essentially changed my religion!

Great back story btw!

Naw Stu, not trying to torment in the least. As I've mentioned before, you're a classical inspiration. Or demise. Haven't concluded which yet. But early on, when I discovered the Classic section, your stories about this and that old club(s) and the people who played them (primarily "the old man") resonated. There where others as well, but primarily yourself. So all that has since transpired going down this primrose path, I lay at your feet. Furthermore, I figure its just Karma since we both joined WRX on the very same day. Destiny was in play.

Didn't even think of the Stu option for the Wilson putter. Let it stay all ratty and gnarly, rust up more that it is now. Think up an apropos name, got to be called something. Yeah, that's the ticket. (And a whole lot simpler.)

The tell of a good golfer having a bad day v. an average golfer making excuses, its all in the swing. And as TTB said, the corresponding ball flight. They may be errant on a given day, but they don't hack. Over the course of 18 holes, hackers gonna hack. A golfing absolutism. But I don't usually run into peeps having the need to tell me their handicap number. As a means of explanation for the alleged quality of their game. The buds and I calculate handicap OGA style. Anything you want it to be. Just that it cannot be used during the weekly shootout with the suspects. My excuse whilst hacking........."Haven't played that much golf this year".

I'm with you Tol, no video of my swing shall every be being posted on the internets. Afraid the swing MD's around here would critique by saying maybe I should consider taking up bowling. And no knock on bowlers, I did it for a number of years. Was semi proficient at it, at least not a "hack".

What confounds me with this silly game is how on one hole, can do everything right. Post an easy par, maybe sink a putt for a bird. Then on the very next hole, play like you've never hit a golf ball in your life. Maddening. Frustrating. But then I remember the old line about not being good enough to get mad. It helps. A little. Least it keeps me in check so that I don't throw a club or something stupid. Albeit, been known to pound one "with authority" every once in awhile. Stupid game.

Ratty and rusty is my style. BTW experimenting with wedges again nothing wrong with the 588s just experimenting. Pulled a 66 Staff out of my stuff at the building Triple Sole Fluid Feel 53* Regripped it today and of course weighted it for me. Pulled an old Vokey 58 back out that was given to me by a dear friend a few years back. Will experiment with them this week playing golf with my wife. If we get to play that is. My home course is flooded as bad as it was last October. Will probably be closed until Wednesday at least

One beautiful putter man and the best thing was it was built for YOU! Is that a counter weight on the shaft? I also saw it on the blade users thread

One beautiful putter man and the best thing was it was built for YOU! Is that a counter weight on the shaft? I also saw it on the blade users thread

Not a counter weight Stu. One of Lumpy's custom hand stamped shaft bands. I've got a

different one on each Xenon and I think they are really cool. I may pull the grip and put a Pure midsize on. I'm really liking the size, feel and shape of them.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Not a counter weight Stu. One of Lumpy's custom hand stamped shaft bands. I've got a

different one on each Xenon and I think they are really cool. I may pull the grip and put a Pure midsize on. I'm really liking the size, feel and shape of them.

That is one neat shaft band. Put the Pure on if you like the feel of it hey the hands have to be relaxed and comfortable to begin with to putt well

That wedge shot that you described that you hit us old timers called it a Zipper you could really do it with the old balata balls. Yep you hit it pure for a modern ball to do that. I hit it on occasion and so do some in the "mafia" group when we do everyone will holler "ZIIIIIPPPP"

Today I played a course that I used to play 15 - 20 years ago when I was developing my game. Haven't played it in 10 yrs. It was kind of cool playing these old holes that I knew so well. It was strange on every tee I would think 'I always tended to hit it there..', but I did not get affected because I knew I can control the ball much better now. I striped my tee shots. A number of deep split fairways. Of course the Pursuits were not cooperating, but it was fun. btw I noticed by looking at fairway bukers that even with my deep drives were about 15 -20 yds shorter than when I would smoke one 15 yrs earlier. The difference is that today I spent most of the day on the short grass.

Always a fun experience to return to a familar locale Thug. My current home course is the same one that I began playing on 20 years ago. There is a pond on the 9th hole that I used to struggle to carry, now it isn't an issue. Funny that it is only 150 yards out. At the time I would have sworn that it was 225+ to carry the water. Also odd to see all the trees mature on the course. There are a few that were not even in play back then and now you have to hit over and around them as obstacles. The tree in my avatar is one example. That bugger gives me fits every round.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Stu,

definitely not a shot that I can hit at will. Really cool to pull it off in a match when your partner has hit a skunker. I used to fear hitting wedge shots over bunkers to tight pins. That's a shot that I've finally figured out.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Stu,

definitely not a shot that I can hit at will. Really cool to pull it off in a match when your partner has hit a skunker. I used to fear hitting wedge shots over bunkers to tight pins. That's a shot that I've finally figured out.

It is a hard shot to hit at will period especially with the modern ball. I love the tight shot over the bunkers to the pin I just concentrate on staying down and through the ball. Really it is a harder shot to hit now for me because my hands do not move through the ball as fast as they used to. Those fast hands when I was younger were a blessing for the short game but bad for me on the long game especially the driver. My lifelong friend back in the day with the balata ball was a master at the one hopper with either the 56 or 60 wedge. Now he claims he can not control it with any modern ball. I am just the opposite. Back in the day I could not hit that shot with balata but taught myself that shot with the modern ball. With the balata ball my game was carry it close to the pin and stop it dead right there. But the difference in our games was I had a lot more spin. Had to sorta revamp myself with the modern ball

Stu,

It is a hard shot to hit at will period especially with the modern ball. I love the tight shot over the bunkers to the pin I just concentrate on staying down and through the ball. Really it is a harder shot to hit now for me because my hands do not move through the ball as fast as they used to. Those fast hands when I was younger were a blessing for the short game but bad for me on the long game especially the driver. My lifelong friend back in the day with the balata ball was a master at the one hopper with either the 56 or 60 wedge. Now he claims he can not control it with any modern ball. I am just the opposite. Back in the day I could not hit that shot with balata but taught myself that shot with the modern ball. With the balata ball my game was carry it close to the pin and stop it dead right there. But the difference in our games was I had a lot more spin. Had to sorta revamp myself with the modern ball

I have always experienced a great deal of run out on chips and pitches because I played the ball so far back in my stance and sent the club down the target line. I've learned to vary trajectory and spin with ball and hand position. Totally understand what you mean when you mention keeping the hands low through impact.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Today I played a course that I used to play 15 - 20 years ago when I was developing my game. Haven't played it in 10 yrs. It was kind of cool playing these old holes that I knew so well. It was strange on every tee I would think 'I always tended to hit it there..', but I did not get affected because I knew I can control the ball much better now. I striped my tee shots. A number of deep split fairways. Of course the Pursuits were not cooperating, but it was fun. btw I noticed by looking at fairway bukers that even with my deep drives were about 15 -20 yds shorter than when I would smoke one 15 yrs earlier. The difference is that today I spent most of the day on the short grass.

I know the feeling-- A couple of years ago I went to the Charlotte area and in the course of my stay played a course that I had not played since high school some 40 years before. walked in the old cinder block flat roof clubhouse "WOW I exclamied this place has not changed since high school!" Neither had the course It was basically the same course I played in high school. Love that old mostly flat muni type course. No famous designer just some good old boys decided to build a course on existing land. I will play at least one round there when I go to the area especially in the spring or summer because they have daily dog fights every weekday afternoon at 4:30. $15 green fees with cart and $5 for the dogfight pot and another $1 in the pot for the hole in one and the $1 pot carries over all season until some one wins it and according to the locals some one always does sometimes several times a year. They also have great hot dogs with home made chili and they have went up to $1 each and all the prices at their snack bar are reasonable. Golf at it's bare bones finest!!

Stu - Sounds a lot like old Charles T Myers. Any of these course names sound familiar?

Stonebridge

Emerald Lake

The Divide

Charlotte National

Springfield

Highland Creek

Larkhaven

Rain Tree

Don't know if you've ever made it down to the Tryon area for the Red Fox. Got a buddy who lives in Tryon and we play there several times each year.

Stu,

I have always experienced a great deal of run out on chips and pitches because I played the ball so far back in my stance and sent the club down the target line. I've learned to vary trajectory and spin with ball and hand position. Totally understand what you mean when you mention keeping the hands low through impact.

I saw an instructor on TGC awhile back and he said to use the loft and come

in shallow to get check spin on those short finesse shots. I imagine that you

would use the bounce also for some insurance on those shots.

Sometimes when the greens have a lot of slope you can also aim for one of

the slopes that will feed the ball toward the hole. I love doing that when the

opportunity is there.

On the 8th hole on the Ledge here when the pin is front middle there are slopes

on both sides and behind the hole. All you have to do is hit one of the slopes and

the ball will feed down to the hole. I had one roll down and actually go in the hole

one day......but if you get above those slopes you are screwed with a very fast

down hill putt. You just touch the ball and it will roll 10 feet past the hole.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)