2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2016 Poll: Tiger's future - will he play/win again?

GeorgeHWB

Funny thing is that in 1979 Jack had already been written off as being a further contender. He finished far firm the money list.** Then he won two majors in 80 after getting help from Grout and Rodgers and the Masters in 86.

** Written off might be a bit strong but there were a lot of articles theorizing that he was done. Sounds familiar.

That's all well and good, but in '79 Jack was physically able to play golf. Jack in '80 and TW today are pretty much the same age, but with vastly different medical histories. Let's see some proof that TW is physically able to play 72 holes a week + practice before we start awarding to him what Jack did from age 40-46.

Also, while we're at it, in '78 Jack won several times on tour, plus the British, and then he finished 4th at the Masters in '79, plus had top 10s at the US and British Opens. '79 was a "down" year, but it's not like he dropped to ~700 or whatever in the world rankings. Meanwhile, TW hasn't won anything in almost 4 years, hasn't won a major in eight plus years, and hasn't finished 72 holes of tournament golf in almost a year and a half.

Yeah, so, long story short, apples to oranges.

well said

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing is that in 1979 Jack had already been written off as being a further contender. He finished far firm the money list.** Then he won two majors in 80 after getting help from Grout and Rodgers and the Masters in 86.

** Written off might be a bit strong but there were a lot of articles theorizing that he was done. Sounds familiar.

That's all well and good, but in '79 Jack was physically able to play golf. Jack in '80 and TW today are pretty much the same age, but with vastly different medical histories. Let's see some proof that TW is physically able to play 72 holes a week + practice before we start awarding to him what Jack did from age 40-46.

Also, while we're at it, in '78 Jack won several times on tour, plus the British, and then he finished 4th at the Masters in '79, plus had top 10s at the US and British Opens. '79 was a "down" year, but it's not like he dropped to ~700 or whatever in the world rankings. Meanwhile, TW hasn't won anything in almost 4 years, hasn't won a major in eight plus years, and hasn't finished 72 holes of tournament golf in almost a year and a half.

I have no idea if Tiger will do well or not. IMO it does depend entirely on health. He did win 5 times three years ago and regain #1 ranking. As to the 700 + ranking if you do not play you do not get points. It is a cute talking point but is irrelevant. It is not based on play it is based on inactivity.

My only point was at the age of 39 Jack was written off by many people. If wrx had existed the posts would have been about how the old man was done and there were too many good players for him to come back.

So at least it's apples to apple sauce. :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I have no idea if Tiger will do well or not. IMO it does depend entirely on health. He did win 5 times three years ago and regain #1 ranking. As to the 700 + ranking if you do not play you do not get points. It is a cute talking point but is irrelevant. It is not based on play it is based on inactivity.

My only point was at the age of 39 Jack was written off by many people. If wrx had existed the posts would have been about how the old man was done and there were too many good players for him to come back.

Yes. Plus TW won 4 majors in a row so he really just needs to get on *one* hot streak and

BAM!

medium_emeril.jpg

Nuff said

The comeback is coming . Looking forward to bob57 and his racist chums going into hiding for the next 6 years

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Anyone who really believes Tiger will break Jack's record is delusional.

Period.

Never know. All kinds of delusional things can happen ; )

nicklaus-cover2.jpg

You just keep on believing that. We'll check back in 10 years.

What's your p®oblem?

No problem here. As bad as Jack's game was prior to the '86 Masters, Tiger's is wayyy worse. Physically and mentally. Tiger has 15 different swings he can't trust, the chipping yips, and is coming off back surgery.

And Jack? well, he's Jack, and Tiger isn't.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Anyone who really believes Tiger will break Jack's record is delusional.

Period.

nicklaus-cover2.jpg

What's your p®oblem?

No problem here. As bad as Jack's game was prior to the '86 Masters, Tiger's is wayyy worse. Physically and mentally. Tiger has 15 different swings he can't trust, the chipping yips, and is coming off back surgery.

Lodestone!

I was just goofing around. Remeber when people were joking with the ® thing? Guess you had to be there ; )

Guess we will see. TW is the one writing history, we're just spectators.

nicklaus-cover2.jpg

What's your p®oblem?

Lodestone!

I was just goofing around. Remeber when people were joking with the ® thing? Guess you had to be there ; )

Guess we will see. TW is the one writing history, we're just spectators.

I figured you were goofing around. But indeed I did miss the (trademark thing I don't know how to generate from my keyboard)...if it's a GolfWrx thing give me a link. I like a good laugh.

Frankly, I'd love to see a TW comeback. It would be great to see him, and especially great to see him school the new kids. I just don't see it ever happening.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

I figured you were goofing around. But indeed I did miss the (trademark thing I don't know how to generate from my keyboard)...if it's a GolfWrx thing give me a link. I like a good laugh.

Frankly, I'd love to see a TW comeback. It would be great to see him, and especially great to see him school the new kids. I just don't see it ever happening.

Cheers, heres to the weekend!

Here is the thread, the ® thing starts about midway down the first page. PZero explains how to make it ; )

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1403034-a-theory-a-pga-tour-caddie-told-me-today/

Tiger Woods says he's ready to play Hero World Challenge in December

“I know there have been comments about his chipping again, that that’s what is keeping him from coming back,” Steinberg said. “That’s nonsense.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2016/11/01/tiger-woods-hero-world-challenge/93116106/

“I know there have been comments about his chipping again, that that’s what is keeping him from coming back,” Steinberg said. “That’s nonsense.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2016/11/01/tiger-woods-hero-world-challenge/93116106/

Steiny- He's such the bastion of truth and transparency...

Not that I think tw has long term chipping issues. I just have to chuckle every time something comes out of his mouth..

"I know there have been comments about his chipping again, that that's what is keeping him from coming back," Steinberg said. "That's nonsense."

http://www.usatoday....lenge/93116106/

Steiny- He's such the bastion of truth and transparency...

Not that I think tw has long term chipping issues. I just have to chuckle every time something comes out of his mouth..

So Steiny.

He must be pumped.

This is going to be very strange with the entire planet tuning in for the Hero like it's the moon landing ; )

Family_watching_television_1958_800x494.jpg

How in the world is the fact that Tiger has lately spent more time than not physically unable to play golf irrelevant to a topic titled "will he play/win again"? If you can't play, you can't win. If Tiger can't play, it seems to affect the odds of Tiger winning, does it not?

You're the one trying to pawn Jack in 79-80 off as a comparison. Again, Jack was physically able to play golf in 1979, and had three top 10s in the majors, and won a major in '78 for good measure. You can draw whatever conclusions you want to about the media coverage of Jack in '79 vs. Tiger today, but to try to use Jack's 1980 to suggest that Tiger is about to win two majors is just totally fatuous.

Anyway, we'll see what the Hero brings. My money's on DFL, same as last time he teed it up in the Hero.

How in the world is the fact that Tiger has lately spent more time than not physically unable to play golf irrelevant to a topic titled "will he play/win again"? If you can't play, you can't win. If Tiger can't play, it seems to affect the odds of Tiger winning, does it not?

You're the one trying to pawn Jack in 79-80 off as a comparison. Again, Jack was physically able to play golf in 1979, and had three top 10s in the majors, and won a major in '78 for good measure. You can draw whatever conclusions you want to about the media coverage of Jack in '79 vs. Tiger today, but to try to use Jack's 1980 to suggest that Tiger is about to win two majors is just totally fatuous.

Anyway, we'll see what the Hero brings. My money's on DFL, same as last time he teed it up in the Hero.

You brought up the world ranking as if it was relevant. If you do not play you do not earn points. None of us have any idea if he will do well. Last time he was really healthy he did more than ok. My opinion is the same as it has been for over a year. If healthy he will play well, if not he will retire. Last point where did I ever say he will win two majors?? The Jack comparison is only valid because of age at the time. And Hey-we agree on something....last at the Hero would be my guess as well. Anything better against that field would be pretty damn good considering how long it has been since the game has been tested.

Good summary. And I think Tiger's chipping yips will make it even more difficult for him to return.

You brought up the world ranking as if it was relevant. If you do not play you do not earn points. None of us have any idea if he will do well. Last time he was really healthy he did more than ok. My opinion is the same as it has been for over a year. If healthy he will play well, if not he will retire. Last point where did I ever say he will win two majors?? The Jack comparison is only valid because of age at the time. And Hey-we agree on something....last at the Hero would be my guess as well. Anything better against that field would be pretty damn good considering how long it has been since the game has been tested.

You brought up Jack in 1979-80. I pointed out that in 1979 it wasn't like Jack had fallen off the planet like TW has for the last two years. World rankings are a symptom of that--or use the money list if you'd prefer as 79/80 predates world rankings. Point is, there is nothing comparable between the career arcs of 79-80 Jack and modern day TW besides their biological age.

You brought up Jack in 1979-80. I pointed out that in 1979 it wasn't like Jack had fallen off the planet like TW has for the last two years. World rankings are a symptom of that--or use the money list if you'd prefer as 79/80 predates world rankings. Point is, there is nothing comparable between the career arcs of 79-80 Jack and modern day TW besides their biological age.

IAll that is relevant is that both were written off as serious competitors. And yes as regards to points Tiger has fallen off the planet. Happens if you play as many events as you or I.

My concern is if he comes back the golf world might have to deal with him dropping out of tournaments and having these questionable injuries. Tight glutes? Sore back? The list could get pretty long.

:) The biggest concern some have is if he actually does well. And I do not mean at the Hero but in 2017 in general.

My concern is if he comes back the golf world might have to deal with him dropping out of tournaments and having these questionable injuries. Tight glutes? Sore back? The list could get pretty long.

As much as I like to make fun of the "winning a US Open on a broken leg" saga, I will always defend Tiger's comment about not being able to activate the glutes.

It is a real thing in cold and wet weather, when you get older, especially if you also suffer from conditions which make the muscles in your lower back lock up from time to time. And it plays havoc with your golf swing, because you never know if you can initiate your downswing like you are used to or 3 or 5 or 8 hundreds of a second later.

The only thing I don't understand is how someone whose job is physical activity can suffer from it. It is the typical bane of the weekend warrior who spends 40+ hours per week sitting behind a desk or keyboard.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

People who laugh of Tiger's comment don't understand physiology.

After an injury and surgery, muscles are inhibited (by scar tissue and compensation), hence the glutes who were deactivated, and even if you try to contract them, you nervous system shuts them down because the signal is interfered by the scar and the trauma.

• 3 weeks later...

I was really hoping tiger was going to be the one who broke the rules. Over the years I have seen many greats fade from the scene around his age. Jack, Watson, Seve, Norman. All were dominant champions until they hit their 40s. On or around the greens is the first sign the end is nigh. Suddenly putts that used to drop start burning the edges. Chips don't finish quite as close. They suddenly start looking shaky standing over 3 foot down hillers. There is such a fine line between greatness and also ran. I fear tiger has crossed that line and is just another statistic, another former champion who has seen better days.