2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2016 Poll: Tiger's future - will he play/win again?

GeorgeHWB

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone read the recent SI (or maybe it was ESPN mag) article on Tiger lately?

Seems Tiger had gotten complacent years ago...Haney mentioned it something along the lines of "what about Jack's record" and Tiger made a blahzay statement - in other words he had gotten complacent.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Did anyone read the recent SI (or maybe it was ESPN mag) article on Tiger lately?

Seems Tiger had gotten complacent years ago...Haney mentioned it something along the lines of "what about Jack's record" and Tiger made a blahzay statement - in other words he had gotten complacent.

After like 70 PGA Tour wins and

14 Majors in

10 years

He could do what he wants.

A bad back that's been operated on several times is not a good candidate for a successful golfing career. Now could he still play the game?.........Yes, but not at the level necessary to play on the tour, much less contend. Granted, there's always exceptions to the rule, but a bad back that could get reinjured would/should have some mental reservations running in the back of his mind, which alone could affect his game.

If I take the poll does it come with a free set of Ginsu knives?

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

14 Majors in

10 years

He can do whatever he wants...that's exactly the point. He couldn't care less anymore at this point.

So in other words, the likelihood he ever wins again is slim.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

14 Majors in

10 years

Except, it seems, win 19 majors. :)

14 Majors in

10 years

Except, it seems, win 19 majors. :)

Well, this is true

This is TW we're talking about here, the guy who won the US Open with a broken leg. If he were to win his first tourney back at Torey it wouldn't be the most amazing thing he's accomplished. It might not even make the top 10.

TW will be back at 100% and will be winning again. This is golf, not football. Golfers don't fall off due to injury, mainly they fall off due to lack of motivation. It won't be an issue for Tiger.

This is TW we're talking about here, the guy who won the US Open with a broken leg. If he were to win his first tourney back at Torey it wouldn't be the most amazing thing he's accomplished. It might not even make the top 10.

TW will be back at 100% and will be winning again. This is golf, not football. Golfers don't fall off due to injury, mainly they fall off due to lack of motivation. It won't be an issue for Tiger.

I'm pretty sure I'm the biggest TW fan in the world. When I was a kid (1997 or so) I wore my "I am Lucky. I am Tiger Woods" shirt every day until I'm pretty sure my mom threw it in the garbage due to odour and general wear and tear. The love never stopped, and I have cheered for him relentlessly ever since.

That being said, Tiger looks like he may have had some sort of fuzing type surgery done to his spine. The guy looks absolutely rigid; it's not only evident in his recent swings but also when he does something simple like walk. Golf may be the worst sport possible to play with back injuries. We saw Andre Iguodala play through terrible back pain in the finals. In a sport like golf, with so much rotation, that's nearly impossible. At least in high impact sports, you can stay somewhat loose. Staying loose in golf can be very difficult.

When you consider the extent of this injury, how can we expect Tiger to regain even a portion of his prodigious short game, let alone his ball striking? If Tiger is to be dominant again, he needs 3 things that he used to have: 3 wood stinger, incredible distance control with irons, and putting. Those are the needs, the absolutes. If he's still shaky with his wedges, those three things won't make up for short game yips.

Honestly, I'm not sure he can bend over long enough to be able to hit as many practice putts as he needs to. The guy can't practice 10 hours a day like he used to. His body simply can't. That being said, how can we expect him to play at the level he used to? He could spend more time practicing with a fully torn ACL AND two fractures in his knee than his current state. That says a lot about his physical health.

It's all a huge shame. I hate it. These guys out there right now simply aren't close to Tiger in his prime. Phil said it himself recently. I just hate seeing great talent and careers cut short by injuries or outside factors. That's life though. I just hope Tiger can make good use of the short practice sessions he gets and can rely hard on past successes for potential future wins. He has to, because he can't work harder than the other guys anymore.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Another thing that article I referenced earlier pointed out was how big Tiger got and how it wasn't conducive to long term golf. He got too big for his own good...I hope the young generation (namely Spieth) take note of what not to do regarding their physiques.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

14 Majors in

10 years

He can do whatever he wants...that's exactly the point. He couldn't care less anymore at this point.

Do you think he doesnt care?

More likely that as someone who

Is the best to ever play the game

He understands what is entailed in coming back and maybe the risk is too great?

Either way,

You take Jordan Spieth, Jason Day, Dustin Johnson and Rory Mcilroy

Combined

And there is sustained golf on the level that Tiger Woods played day in and day out, year in and year out

For a decade.

14 Majors in

10 years

Either way,

Combined

And there is sustained golf on the level that Tiger Woods played day in and day out, year in and year out

For a decade.

Dude...I can't follow your writing style.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

14 Majors in

10 years

Either way,

Combined

For a decade.

You take Jordan Spieth, Jason Day, Dustin Johnson, and Rory Mcilroy combined and there is sustained golf on the level that Tiger Woods played day in and day out, year in and year out, for a decade.

I want him to either play or just retire and stop all the ridiculous speculation. After "trying" to get ready to play all year (probably knowing it wouldn't happen) he finally announces he is done for this season, but plans to play in 16/17. Well that starts in about 6-8 weeks. Does all this crap start again in September/October? Give it a rest

Stop what crap? He never said he was playing anything. If you watched an interview of him being hounded about it and watched the video of him hitting balls, common sense would have told you he was not playing. Three months ago he could barely hit a ball. Why would be playing anytime soon?

Nobody cares about those winter tournaments and he's never played the January Hawaii tournaments even when 100% healthy. You wont see him till early February at the earliest.

14 Majors in

10 years

Either way,

Combined

For a decade.

The inimitable style of "B." :)

People forget, he's still relatively young. I'd also say that his troubles in the last few events he did play were short game and putting as much as anything. I could easily see him come back and winning. Will it happen, who knows.

40 is not young in the golfing world. And Tigers body is not young. The only reason Phil is still contending is he has been lucky to stay pretty injury free. There is no doubt Tiger is great for the game TV ratings wise. But its been almost 9 years since he has won a major! 9 years! I think no matter how much of a Tiger fan you are, you have to realize it's going to be very hard to be even competitive after all the surgeries and the time spent not playing competitive golf. As someone else said, Tiger can no longer out work everyone. One of the big name back surgeons ( can't remember his name) was on Sirius PGA channel one day and said no mattter how well Tiger recovers he will not be able to spend the hours on the putting green he used to spend. If he can't practice the way he used to practice I think his chances are slim.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

You take Jordan Spieth, Jason Day, Dustin Johnson, and Rory Mcilroy combined and there is sustained golf on the level that Tiger Woods played day in and day out, year in and year out, for a decade.

I don't have a clue what you're trying to say. Seriously.

Are you saying it takes all those guys to add up to Tiger? Are you saying all those guys playing their best is the equivalent of Tiger?

I'm not being condescending, I'm not. Your post(s) just don't make sense.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I say he works hard, struggles a bit, wins some tournament like Bay Hill, re-injures his back and hangs it up.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

If he was to come back and won his first time out it would EASILY be a top five moment for him. Might even be a top two...

This ain't football, but for you to think the wear and tear he's put his body thru will not have an effect is ludicrous. He's what, 41? He's got the back of a 60 yr old- not the part of the body you want prematurely aging.

Listen, you are the most ardent of TW fans on this board(and that's saying something), But a little dose of reality never hurt anyone, right? I won't be surprised if he wins again here and there but too suggest he's coming back "100%" is misguided. He'll never be 100% again- and that's ok. Everyone loses to father time.

If he was to come back and won his first time out it would EASILY be a top five moment for him. Might even be a top two...

This ain't football, but for you to think the wear and tear he's put his body thru will not have an effect is ludicrous. He's what, 41? He's got the back of a 60 yr old- not the part of the body you want prematurely aging.

Listen, you are the most ardent of TW fans on this board(and that's saying something), But a little dose of reality never hurt anyone, right? I won't be surprised if he wins again here and there but too suggest he's coming back "100%" is misguided. He'll never be 100% again- and that's ok. Everyone loses to father time.

I am with you on this one. TIGERRRR!!! Is not coming back(a nod to back) Tiger might, maybe, possibly, doubtfully might at this point come back and as Hogan's says win an occasional event. But the more time passes that becomes more unlikely as well.

Woods played the best golf I have ever seen for a sustained lenghth of time. He may not hold all of the records but is number one all time in my book. Much like Jordan in the NBA. Jordan is not atthe top that I know of in any category and yet is considered the best ever. Three players scored more points, many had more assists, there are some with more titles but Jordan is the best..

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Are you saying it takes all those guys to add up to Tiger? Are you saying all those guys playing their best is the equivalent of Tiger?

No worries.

(Hope that made sense ; )

Another thing that article I referenced earlier pointed out was how big Tiger got and how it wasn't conducive to long term golf. He got too big for his own good...I hope the young generation (namely Spieth) take note of what not to do regarding their physiques.

Yeah Tiger was way too big - all 185 pounds of him.

I'm surprised he didn't become a competitive powerlifter or offensive tackle.

No worries.

Dude, even that didn't make sense.

:)

No worries.

Okay...?

Uhg....I give up. SMH

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP