2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2016 Poll: Tiger's future - will he play/win again?

GeorgeHWB

Another thing that article I referenced earlier pointed out was how big Tiger got and how it wasn't conducive to long term golf. He got too big for his own good...I hope the young generation (namely Spieth) take note of what not to do regarding their physiques.

Yeah Tiger was way too big - all 185 pounds of him.

I'm surprised he didn't become a competitive powerlifter or offensive tackle.

LMAO, okay...so you're saying Tiger didn't get too muscle-bound for his own good? LMAO

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing that article I referenced earlier pointed out was how big Tiger got and how it wasn't conducive to long term golf. He got too big for his own good...I hope the young generation (namely Spieth) take note of what not to do regarding their physiques.

LMAO, okay...so you're saying Tiger didn't get too muscle-bound for his own good? LMAO

I think he is saying that at 6', 185lbs, TW was just the size of any normal guy who goes to the gym regularly.

(Was that too circumlocutious? ; )

Ummm, no.

Ummm, no.

Tiger is very fit except he injured his back. Did he do it training? Navy seal stuff? Bad swing mechanics? Normal life stuff? Too much Perkins?

Getting fit in and of itself is good for the body. Doing it too repetitively or in an unproper way can lead to injury.

Tiger is hardly too muscle bound unless he did it incorrectly or had an accident that caused it.

I have chronic back issues that started at an early age. A couple of freak sports injuries that went to a worse level through bad decisions, a slip and fall and beating too many balls with flawed mechanics. Part of my problem may be genetic as well.

Don't jump on the Chamblee band wagon on this one. We don't really know why it occurred and frankly Tiger may not really know for sure either.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Not really sure how to go with this poll. If he truly gets his back healed I say he can definitely win again. I am also not buying into the he's 40 so the majors are out of reach. Several players in the last few years have won majors in their 40's and Phil almost won the Open Championship this year at 46 and I am sure Woods is in better condition than Phil. It all boils down to his back and if it will be good enough to play at a top level again.

As for breaking Jack's record, I think this is out of reach now. If his back heals up to 100% I believe he has 5-6 years left. That would leave him with about 20 majors to compete in. So it would be a tall task considering the talent out there now for him to win 5 of those 20. The longer he goes the harder it will get as well so the window is actually a lot shorter than 20 majors. He would need a run similar to his past runs and I don't think he has that anymore. It would definitely take multiple major wins in one season in the next two years for this to even have a chance. I still think he has the game to win at the Open Championship and the Masters due to experience. So I will say he wins again on the PGA Tour 6 more times and wins 2 more majors before he hangs it up.

Not really sure how to go with this poll. If he truly gets his back healed I say he can definitely win again. I am also not buying into the he's 40 so the majors are out of reach. Several players in the last few years have won majors in their 40's and Phil almost won the Open Championship this year at 46 and I am sure Woods is in better condition than Phil.

Based on what? Phil's barely missed a start in 25 years. Tiger is about as brittle as it gets.

A bad back that's been operated on several times is not a good candidate for a successful golfing career. Now could he still play the game?.........Yes, but not at the level necessary to play on the tour, much less contend. Granted, there's always exceptions to the rule, but a bad back that could get reinjured would/should have some mental reservations running in the back of his mind, which alone could affect his game.

Did you know that intervertebral discs regenerate ?

Ummm, no.

Tiger is very fit except he injured his back. Did he do it training? Navy seal stuff? Bad swing mechanics? Normal life stuff? Too much Perkins?

Getting fit in and of itself is good for the body. Doing it too repetitively or in an unproper way can lead to injury.

Tiger is hardly too muscle bound unless he did it incorrectly or had an accident that caused it.

I have chronic back issues that started at an early age. A couple of freak sports injuries that went to a worse level through bad decisions, a slip and fall and beating too many balls with flawed mechanics. Part of my problem may be genetic as well.

Don't jump on the Chamblee band wagon on this one. We don't really know why it occurred and frankly Tiger may not really know for sure either.

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2014/1/28/5352922/tiger-woods-swing-teacher-hank-haney-sean-foley-brandel-chamblee

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Ummm, no.

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2014/1/28/5352922/tiger-woods-swing-teacher-hank-haney-sean-foley-brandel-chamblee

Oh, so NOW we go with what Haney is saying?

Interesting...

A few weeks back I was having a beer with some of the US Ryder Cup representatives ( and someone asked whether Tiger will play in 2016 (not necessarily in the Ryder Cup, but in any event). The response is he won't because he has no interest in golf right now. The Ryder Cup team conveyed he is healthy but doesn't want to play.

Feel free to speculate why he doesn't want to play as that was never asked or offered.

I don't believe that tigers back is as bad as some are making out. Yes he looked wooden in the bluejack opening event, but the clinic he conducted he looked fairly fluid

I am inclined to believe that he is waiting until his swing changes and short game is up to the required standard before he comes back out. Remember he was going through changes pre op , and was beginning to look VERY good in last event off the tee

I wouldn't write him off, I believe everything about the future of tiger as a golfer will be revealed in his first event back. If he doesn't play ok, and stinks it up still it may be over. But I expect him to to firing on all cylinders when he comes back

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

it might be the single greatest story in sports history if he comes back and obliterates the field and wins in a major or two along the way.

i mean, without the whole...off the course stuff.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I still think he has the game to win at the Open Championship and the Masters due to experience.

Last Masters win was 2005, and Open was 2006. That is a decade ago.

Open is entirely draw and weather specific, and they Tiger Proofed Augusta.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

I think the question is... SHOULD he play again.

His body is so jacked up maybe enough is enough. He should focus on his kids, and his business ventures, and enjoy the additional privacy he will gain the more he's out of the limelight.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I think the question is... SHOULD he play again.

His body is so jacked up maybe enough is enough. He should focus on his kids, and his business ventures, and enjoy the additional privacy he will gain the more he's out of the limelight.

I'm guessing he will do just that... if he is not healthy enough. If, big if but if, he recovers fully he will play, and do well.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I still think he has the game to win at the Open Championship and the Masters due to experience.

Last Masters win was 2005, and Open was 2006. That is a decade ago.

Open is entirely draw and weather specific, and they Tiger Proofed Augusta.

Tiger proofed ? He finished top ten almost every year since his last win....

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

A few weeks back I was having a beer with some of the US Ryder Cup representatives ( and someone asked whether Tiger will play in 2016 (not necessarily in the Ryder Cup, but in any event). The response is he won't because he has no interest in golf right now. The Ryder Cup team conveyed he is healthy but doesn't want to play.

Feel free to speculate why he doesn't want to play as that was never asked or offered.

This make sense. He's spent 35+ years playing golf with the majority of that time being followed by the media. He can't pick up a golf club without 1000 articles, blogs, tweets etc.

Maybe he finally decided that it was a good time to just enjoy life for a while. By not having a set time to return the healing process becomes much easier as does the work on his game.

Didn't Tiger say to one of his prostitutes that "he needed more money" or "he didn't have enough money" or something along those lines?

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Didn't Tiger say to one of his prostitutes that "he needed more money" or "he didn't have enough money" or something along those lines?

TW is reportedly stingy, maybe he was trying to get a discount?

; )

Meantime,

"In 2016, Tiger Woods’ net worth is $825 million."

http://moneynation.com/tiger-woods-net-worth-why-its-not-a-billion-yet/

; )

Meantime,

"In 2016, Tiger Woods' net worth is $825 million."

http://moneynation.c...-a-billion-yet/

I recall a ESPN Mag cover story about Tiger being "$6 billion dollar athlete" or something like that. That was what his projected worth was going to be after he was all said and done. IIRC.

Maybe that's why he felt so not measured up.

Here is the cover: http://i.ebayimg.com...al3X/s-l300.jpg

I think this is the actual article: http://espn.go.com/e...ods/607000.html

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

As for Tiger: Already the PGA's career earnings leader at the age of 24, he's likely to earn an amount that will make almost anyone but Bill Gates' heirs jealous. Just how much green are we talking about? Take a deep breath-better than $6 billion. And I'm being conservative. Here's how he'll earn it:

PGA winnings: In pocketing $6.6 million on the tour last year, Tiger didn't just obliterate the mark for prize money, he set a new standard for dominance. Woods won 82% more than second-place David Duval, a gap larger than any since Byron Nelson and Ben Hogan dominated in the '40s-and one that highlights Tiger's uniqueness even more dramatically than those 15 strokes at Pebble Beach. After a decade when money leaders typically pulled in about 2.7% of total prizes, Woods earned 5% of Tour pots. And that was no fluke: He's on pace to earn $8.8 million in 2000, or 5.6% of total prizes. In figuring his future PGA winnings, I assumed that a) prize money will keep pace with its growth in the '90s as long as Woods is active; b) Tiger will maintain his mastery only until age 30, when his winnings rate will slowly decline until age 50; and c) he will have five dominant and then 10 declining seasons on the Senior Tour. Career PGA winnings through age 65: $1.17 billion.

Worldwide winnings: Tiger earns about 14% of his prize money off the PGA Tour. Using calculations similar to the ones above, I added $207 million to his lifetime total.

Appearance fees: Not that tournament organizers like to talk about under-the-table payments, but Woods earned a reported $1million just to show up for the Players Championship of Europe last year. Figuring that Tiger will command at least that much as long as he's playing, I tacked on a similar gain (percentage-wise) to his future worldwide earnings. That's another $132 million.

Endorsements: Tiger wears Nike from head to toe, and his recent switch from Titleist to Nike golf balls-gee, could that have happened at a better time for Phil Knight?-could reportedly net him an extra $40 million over the next five years (he's yet to sign the deal). He has also shilled for American Express, Asahi, General Mills, Golf Digest and Rolex, so even in 1998, a bad year for his Nike merchandise, Woods collected $25 million in endorsement checks. I assumed the Nike ball deal will go through, added its terms to Woods' average endorsement take from 1997 through 1999 and increased the total at a modest 8% a year until he hits 30. Then I let his endorsement earnings track his prize money. Result: $4.6 billion.

Grand total: $6,109,000,000.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I am inclined to say that I don't care if he plays again, but by posting here, I guess I do have an inkling of interest. I can't ever see him winning another tournament because, these days, it takes a finely tuned athlete to compete. Some of the tour players don't look very athletic, but I believe they have all the right tools. Maybe he's eaten too often at the pancake house?

Apropos of nothing....

Texas Rangers slugger Prince Fielder is expected to have season-ending neck surgery for the second time in three years, and his career could be in jeopardy as well.

Fielder got a second opinion Monday, and general manager Jon Daniels said Dr. Drew Dossett recommended surgery. That was the same as Dr. Robert Watkins in Los Angeles said last week after an MRI showed a herniation between Fielder's C4 and C5 disks.

While Daniels didn't want to speculate on the long-term future for the 32-year-old Fielder, the GM did acknowledge the seriousness of having a second surgery in close proximity to the first.

"He rehabbed once from it and came back. I think with each additional surgery in that area it increases the risk involved and just the overall, his ability to get back," Daniels said. "But it's not for me to speculate about that here today."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/17142342/another-neck-surgery-likely-prince-fielder-texas-rangers

; )

Meantime,

"In 2016, Tiger Woods' net worth is $825 million."

http://moneynation.c...-a-billion-yet/

I recall a ESPN Mag cover story about Tiger being "$6 billion dollar athlete" or something like that. That was what his projected worth was going to be after he was all said and done. IIRC.

Maybe that's why he felt so not measured up.

Here is the cover: http://i.ebayimg.com...al3X/s-l300.jpg

I think this is the actual article: http://espn.go.com/e...ods/607000.html

Fantastic! It looks like you understood his post this time :) It's an acquired taste...

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I am inclined to say that I don't care if he plays again, but by posting here, I guess I do have an inkling of interest. I can't ever see him winning another tournament because, these days, it takes a finely tuned athlete to compete. Some of the tour players don't look very athletic, but I believe they have all the right tools. Maybe he's eaten too often at the pancake house?

Finely tuned athlete

andrew-beef-johnston.jpg

I think he can come back and win again but he needs to play a different kind of golf. I remember the week when he had the chipping yips in Phoenix after his first comeback he also had the longest average driving distance. That is insane. He needs to take it down a notch. 285/290 in the fairway still gives him a chance to win. I guess it just comes down to his ego. If he can accept reality, he can win again. If he can't, he is headed for more injuries.