2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Tiger to PXG?

uW0tM8

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has to be PXG when you narrow the odds down. Nike is going to stay in shoes and apparel. Tiger is a hallmark at Nike.

So look at the other companies that make golf clubs.

PING-Not going to pay Tiger enough

Callaway-Is in the shoe business and somewhat into apparel as compared to Nike.

Titleist-Parent company owns Foot Joy, direct competition to Nike golf shoes.

Taylor Made-still part of Adidas now, direct competitor to Nike across the board, and they are up for sale

Mizuno-- Direct competitor to Nike in shoes, other areas like baseball, and likely coudn't pay Tiger

That leaves PXG.

Rickie Fowler was dressed puma from head to toes when he was playing titleist clubs. Spieth has barely any titleist logo. Terrible post overall.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

It has to be PXG when you narrow the odds down. Nike is going to stay in shoes and apparel. Tiger is a hallmark at Nike.

Taylor Made-still part of Adidas now, direct competitor to Nike across the board, and they are up for sale

Mizuno-- Direct competitor to Nike in shoes, other areas like baseball, and likely coudn't pay Tiger

That leaves PXG.

Regarding your titleist comment, look at Speith. He is head to toe in underarmor. I think I read when Poulter signed with titleist he mentioned they were someone who let him where his own signature brand.

I would lean more towards titleist than any other manufacturer with the only doubt being about they don't pay players much.

I'm more intrigued by what Nike does with the TW branding moving forward. It was pretty clear Tiger had a lifetime contract with nike, similar to MJ. As I recall, MJ had a pretty rough patch to end his career, but his brand has seemed to weather that storm and still thrives. At the same time, I am not sure the TW label will ever have an iconic shoe that has cultish followings, but I suppose time will tell.

My guess is it will slowly fade from black to white into oblivion,,,,, the TW logo has lost its appeal with him not playing and of course personal matters

Tiger and Rory start their own brand managed by Nick Faldo.

The partnership lasts .... a week, breaking up before both of them dump Faldo into the Thames.

The brand:

"TIGRORS"

I like the name though...

Tiger-Roars.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Realistically would a club manufacture pay him THAT much money that it is even worth signing on to anyone for him? If my net worth was close to a billion I'd just wear Nike and play whatever clubs I felt like.

There was and is only one company that paid athletes head to toe to clubs that high up in the stratosphere....even adidas with Sergio, Dustin and Jason are all way under 10 million each. Jason most likely make is in the 7 range. Oakley offered rory under 5 for apparel, hat & shoes when the renewed contract discussion came up.

I hope many Nike folks go to titleist and callaway. They clearly have the most complete lineups 1-14.

As a die hard TW fan I hope he goes to titleist.

Ps. Post above me disregards all major oems as candidates and then says Bridgestone lol. That's hilarious. No chance.

You think he would go back to Titleist or try to crash in on Phil Mickelson land?

You must be young.

I said "I hope". You must jump to conclusions. Chill. And ask me that question at 40 or 80, and yes I'll say I'm young. He has to go somewhere and crash someone's party you realize that right?

Hmmm...

Tiger to:

Callaway - No, because of Phil.

Titleist - No, because he doesn't go back to things that make sense.

PXG - Just can't see it.

Wilson - No, because....no.

PING - No, not bladey enough.

TaylorMade - Could be an opportunity to save the brand, but I don't see it.

Mizuno - No, because Mizuno won't pay him. (Would be cool to see him go back, though).

Cobra - No, too crazy an aesthetic and Ricky is the man over there.

Bridgestone - ...yeah, I could see that almost.

???? TaylorMade - Could be an opportunity to save the brand, but I don't see it.???

save the brand? its for sale and doing just fine, much of the fat has been trimmed a couple of years ago, product is back to core products.

Titleist was sold, did they need saving too? the koreans bought them, sales are fine. Did anyone notice anything different this year, last year or the year before that?

Cobra will be for sale next January, The CEO more or less mentioned this when discussing Puma numbers.

the way things look for tiger he may need a game improvement club

That leaves PXG.

Just like with Spieth, if the player is big enough I doubt Titleist, Mizuno, Callaway or most manufacturers will care too much if a big name has a apparel/shoe deal with Nike and wants to play their equipment. Obviously Titleist wants as many staffers in Footjoys as possible but if a few big name guys aren't it really wouldn't be a big deal.

Frankly, Tiger isn't hurting for money and he will still be cashing checks from Nike for soft goods, he is either going to play what he wants because he doesn't need the cash and wants to improve his play or Parsons is going to offer him so much money he can't say no.

He should go to the all hybrid iron set that they advertise in the back of golf digest.

Or a full set of Odyssey chippers

Cally Epic Speed w/ Accra
Titleist TSR3 16.5 w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Ping G425 3 Hybrid w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Ping iCrossover 4 Iron w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Srixon ZX7 5-PW w/ PXLZ 6.0
Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

That leaves PXG.

Regarding your titleist comment, look at Speith. He is head to toe in underarmor. I think I read when Poulter signed with titleist he mentioned they were someone who let him where his own signature brand.

I would lean more towards titleist than any other manufacturer with the only doubt being about they don't pay players much.

Tiger was full Nike apparel with Titleist clubs and ball for his first years.

A few of the noteworthy things from the article:

• Parsons envisioned a scenario where Nike was paying a PGA Tour player $7 million to use its clubs and wear its apparel and shoes.
  • With Nike out of the golf equipment business, he said he could pay the player $3-4 million to use PXG clubs, with Nike paying $2-3 million for the player to wear its apparel and shoes.
  • Parsons said he fielded more than 30 phone calls from players affected by Nike’s decision. He’s open to adding 4, 5, 6 or even more endorsees to the PXG roster.
  • Parsons sees endorsement deals shrinking, but offering greater flexibility in terms of how many of the sponsor’s products golfers must use
  • Parsons also sees PGA Tour players and their agents getting more creative with endorsement deals, relying less on golf equipment businesses for revenue. “You could see a lot more hats that say ‘Phil’s Steakhouse,’ or something like that”

It all seems to make sense, there are already a ton of guys who seem to be following this path that Parsons is talking about.

When Tiger dumped Titleist for Nike, he demonstrated a willingness to play 'inferior equipment', so it's not really a stretch to suggest he might switch to something screwy like PXG.

he won more majors with nike than titleist... and you can't say he would have won more if he'd stayed at titleist. that's kid's play

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

I can assure you...Tiger will be using nike golf clubs for the next five years at least. he is covered monetarily.

Next 5 years?? not a chance in hell that happens

In fact, there's a much better chance Tiger doesn't play in a single tournament the next 5 years than use Nike Clubs the next 5 years

And for those of you who say "Tiger doesn't need the money"... are you kidding me? This guy is driven by money because it's the only thing he has left if he can't compete! He'll absolutely sign another deal with another company for clubs and manufacturers will be clamoring to sign him after he starts paying again, maybe even before. He won't get signed based on what he'll do in the future, he'll get signed because he's Tiger MotherF***ing Woods... plain and simple

A few of the noteworthy things from the article:

• Parsons envisioned a scenario where Nike was paying a PGA Tour player $7 million to use its clubs and wear its apparel and shoes.
  • With Nike out of the golf equipment business, he said he could pay the player $3-4 million to use PXG clubs, with Nike paying $2-3 million for the player to wear its apparel and shoes.
  • Parsons said he fielded more than 30 phone calls from players affected by Nike’s decision. He’s open to adding 4, 5, 6 or even more endorsees to the PXG roster.
  • Parsons sees endorsement deals shrinking, but offering greater flexibility in terms of how many of the sponsor’s products golfers must use
  • Parsons also sees PGA Tour players and their agents getting more creative with endorsement deals, relying less on golf equipment businesses for revenue. “You could see a lot more hats that say ‘Phil’s Steakhouse,’ or something like that”

It all seems to make sense, there are already a ton of guys who seem to be following this path that Parsons is talking about.

Tiger with a perkins logo on his hat or bag would be a huge money maker

I really see tiger designing his own clubs, probably with the guys who work at Nike as of yesterday

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Lastly, Titleist is the only other club manufacturer that I think suits Tiger,....

You mean Mizuno irons with Titleist stamped on them is the only other manufacturer that suits tiger.

You left out forged by Miura

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

I really see tiger designing his own clubs, probably with the guys who work at Nike as of yesterday

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

When Tiger dumped Titleist for Nike, he demonstrated a willingness to play 'inferior equipment', so it's not really a stretch to suggest he might switch to something screwy like PXG.

he won more majors with nike than titleist... and you can't say he would have won more if he'd stayed at titleist. that's kid's play

I might be wrong but I thought Tiger played Titleist clubs through 2002 (8 of his 14 majors) and only switched to the Nike ball in 2000.

I don't think parsons will get tiger or Rory. As I said in the other thread. I see both playing a mixed bag. With a Titleist ball and a driver contract. Nike will pay both an obscene amount to wear their clothes and shoes. No way parsons lets a Nike clad tiger hawk his irons. Besides. When has tiger ever played a hybrid anything ? You guys think pxg is going to start cranking out glued hosel drivers and fairways ? Heard It here 1st. Zero chance of tiger going pxg. Doesn't fit at all.

you should read the Parsons interview... because he actually blatantly suggests Nike paying for clothes/shoes and players using his clubs and even outlines why it's a wise business move for both.

Adams Speedline 9064 LS 9.5 Diamana D+ 62s
Adams Speedline 9032ti HyFW 14.5* Aldila VooDoo SNV7s
Adams Speedline Fast 10 18* Wasabi 70s
Mizuno MP-20 3-PW DG S300
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 56*M
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 60*M
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
Titleist Pro V1