2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Tiger to PXG?

uW0tM8

I can assure you...Tiger will be using nike golf clubs for the next five years at least. he is covered monetarily.

I'm sure something like this is in his contract where if Nike were to stop manufacturing they couldn't hold him to using "outdated" clubs. Even though he's more of an old school guy anyways, I think he'll just mix match what he wants in the bag

If I recall correctly, his contract never mandated him to play a full bag of Nike clubs. He could have switched anything he wanted but chose to play them because they were painstakingly designed to exactly what he wanted, and his endorsement included backend compensation tied to sales.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can assure you...Tiger will be using nike golf clubs for the next five years at least. he is covered monetarily.

I'm sure something like this is in his contract where if Nike were to stop manufacturing they couldn't hold him to using "outdated" clubs. Even though he's more of an old school guy anyways, I think he'll just mix match what he wants in the bag

"Outdated" lol

He would still have the latest and greatest wouldn't he?

WRX guys are funny. :drinks:

Ya that's what I'm saying, but by next year it would technically be outdated as far as golf equipment goes lol

TM SIM - KuroKage 60XTX
TM SIM 15 - Blueboard 83X
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3 Iron - PXI 6.5
Srixon Z745 4,5 - Dynamic Gold x100

Callaway Apex Raw 6-PW - Dynamic Gold x100
Titleist SM8 - 52, 56, 60 - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Style 350 Newport 2

I'm more intrigued by what Nike does with the TW branding moving forward. It was pretty clear Tiger had a lifetime contract with nike, similar to MJ. As I recall, MJ had a pretty rough patch to end his career, but his brand has seemed to weather that storm and still thrives. At the same time, I am not sure the TW label will ever have an iconic shoe that has cultish followings, but I suppose time will tell.

One of the big keys to the continued success of the Jordan brand is other athletes continuing to wear it. I'm pretty sure the TW logo is almost as well recognized globally as the jumpman logo, but Tiger is the only professional wearing it. Not sure how that carry's on after he retires.

Callaway is going to throw enormous money at Tiger, even with TW wearing a bunch of Nike logos. I think Tiger will consider, as they make decent enough blades and that Sub Zero has got to have Tiger drooling. Phil being the man there will probably stop it from happening.

Aside from the Scotty, Titleist is out. Tiger won't play clubs for free (a few million in Tiger's world is free). PXG is a possibility, though the product lineup certainly doesn't fit Tiger very well ATM (though that would change fast). He needs a driver in the 420 cc range with super low CG. As nice as the 0311T is, not sure it's classic enough for TW. I think it suits him well though, as the design pushes the CG right to the centre of the blade rather than towards the heel.

If Taylormade gets a decent buyer with big pockets, I can see that happening. Heck, if by some chance it hasn't sold yet, I can see Adidas stalling and waiting to see if they can get a meeting with Tiger. There are clubs Tiger can play top to bottom seamlessly with TMAG. Fixed M1 430 and 2014 MB's would be the obvious choices.

It will be PXG most likely though. Tiger will make a killing and so will Parsons. Tiger's obsession with the military, as another poster mentioned, essentially makes this a done deal. I'm sure Parsons would offer Tiger 20 mil + a year right now to come use 13 clubs.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

If I were Tiger, with Tiger's money and pull in golf, I would contact Miura, Mizuno, Fourteen, or Honma and have them make me the exact irons I wanted, and stamp them with the Nike swoosh. (he has some stake in Nike afterall)

Then I would sign a Taylormade driver contract and hit a glued hosel M1 with all black head. Which TMAG could sell for $1000 each.

Scotty would be back in the bag.

Vokeys too.

Weren't his wedges causing him to chunk, blade, fluff etc a bunch of shots the week his glutes didn't fire awhile back?

Callaway is going to throw enormous money at Tiger, even with TW wearing a bunch of Nike logos. I think Tiger will consider, as they make decent enough blades and that Sub Zero has got to have Tiger drooling. Phil being the man there will probably stop it from happening.

Aside from the Scotty, Titleist is out. Tiger won't play clubs for free (a few million in Tiger's world is free). PXG is a possibility, though the product lineup certainly doesn't fit Tiger very well ATM (though that would change fast). He needs a driver in the 420 cc range with super low CG. As nice as the 0311T is, not sure it's classic enough for TW. I think it suits him well though, as the design pushes the CG right to the centre of the blade rather than towards the heel.

If Taylormade gets a decent buyer with big pockets, I can see that happening. Heck, if by some chance it hasn't sold yet, I can see Adidas stalling and waiting to see if they can get a meeting with Tiger. There are clubs Tiger can play top to bottom seamlessly with TMAG. Fixed M1 430 and 2014 MB's would be the obvious choices.

It will be PXG most likely though. Tiger will make a killing and so will Parsons. Tiger's obsession with the military, as another poster mentioned, essentially makes this a done deal. I'm sure Parsons would offer Tiger 20 mil + a year right now to come use 13 clubs.

I think you speak the truth, sir. That club in your Avatar - is it real, or photoshopped? I want!

Parsons better get to work designing a new line of clubs then. Hollow mb and adjustable 460cc driver isn't going to fit the big cat. Tiger was picky enough to make Nike build a 420cc glued head with no visible swoosh. You think a hollow mb with 3000 screws will do ? Makes no sense.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

PXG is my bet for Rory for sure.

It just seems weird though to throw $20M a year at a guy to play clubs that cost $3,000+ a set. I mean sure there is brand recognition and maybe Parsons doesn't even care about selling clubs as much as making a splash. But thats why Nike threw that money at Tiger and Rory, to sell the clubs. When Rory eventually wins his Masters with PXG all over this bag and the unknowning viewer looks them up online and see $3,000 iron sets, $800+ driver, $500+ fairways, $400+ hybrids and $200 wedges, they suddenly think "hey my 3 year old stuff from Taylormade really isn't THAT old".

PSA - I don't know the exact costs of the clubs, but I know they're damn expensive so take my comments with a grain of salt.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I think Tiger will go PXG as well.

What difference, at this point, does it make? Tiger is history...

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

Maybe Nike got out because TW told them he's done and they know they can't sell their equipment without him. IF he comes back, (mighty big if) I bet he goes Muira or PXG. Titleist doesn't pay big money to players and Callaway just doesn't seem to be a fit for TW. Can't see a PM line and a TW line in the same company

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

Don Parson and Tiger's relationship with the military does not guarantee anything, like some posters here think. Golf clubs are tools, you find what's best for you, not what your buddy is willing to sell to you. At least for the highly competitive like in Tiger's case. Not saying he won't go to PXG, just saying he won't because of a connection to the military

Parsons vs. Perkins. I'm betting el Tigre will go with the latter before the former.

Not sure why all the fuss about what Tiger will play. He's toast, his knee is toast and his spine is toast. His career is well into its sunset years. Even if he comes back, it'll be a tragicomedy.

Rory and the resto of the Nike folks have decisions to make, though.

I think you speak the truth, sir. That club in your Avatar - is it real, or photoshopped? I want!

Thank you! Unfortunately, completely fake. We can dream though...

Parsons better get to work designing a new line of clubs then. Hollow mb and adjustable 460cc driver isn't going to fit the big cat. Tiger was picky enough to make Nike build a 420cc glued head with no visible swoosh. You think a hollow mb with 3000 screws will do ? Makes no sense.

I bet the entire design team went to work yesterday making a prototype iron and driver to have ready for Tiger to look at when they inevitably meet. I agree though. As I said in my post, their "off the rack" offerings don't fit the typical Tiger mould.

I'm quite confident Parsons will spend millions on prototypes for Tiger before there is ever a deal signed. That's how valuable this partnership would be.

Whomever he goes with they will need to be able to build clubs for him from scratch that fit his eye and what he likes. So look for a company that is willing to work with him, nothing off the rack. Wouldn't be surprised if he stick with one of his sets of Nike blades for a bit, and starts experimenting with different drivers. Putter will be interesting, I would bet on some sort of Scotty, whether he brings back the legendary GSS from his glory years or not would be interesting.

As for Rory, I see Taylor Made in his future.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I could see Tiger and Rory going to PXG, although both of their egos might want to be the only game in town if they go somewhere else. If I remember correctly, for the Nike commercial they did together they weren't even at the shoot at the same time. Not saying they have to be and that's just rumor mill BS so who knows there.

My thought is though I could see PXG following the Tesla and Beats by Dre. Model. Create an expensive product that has a luxury demand. Get people with cash buying them and putting them in play. Then release a more affordable option that the masses will scoop up to be like their favorites who play the best, drive the best, listen to the best etc.....

Whomever he goes with they will need to be able to build clubs for him from scratch that fit his eye and what he likes. So look for a company that is willing to work with him, nothing off the rack. Wouldn't be surprised if he stick with one of his sets of Nike blades for a bit, and starts experimenting with different drivers. Putter will be interesting, I would bet on some sort of Scotty, whether he brings back the legendary GSS from his glory years or not would be interesting.

As for Rory, I see Taylor Made in his future.

I'd be surprised if Rory chooses anything other than Titleist. He's not as big of a draw as Tiger, so Taylormade would offer barely more than Titleist IMO. Plus he's still making a fortune wearing Nike apparel. He can afford to take a million or two a year less a year to play with a brand that he's familiar with.

Something tells me Tiger has a secret stash of really cool equipment in his garage. He'll probably break out some bad-a** set of blades he had someone put together for him years ago and go for it.

Or...he could follow the money.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly