2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Dormie Club Conditions?

FAbb

I would imagine given the summer we've had this year, they are probably doing everything possible to keep the greens at least alive so they can make it through the winter and spring until the re-grassing with Bermuda. It has been an absolutely brutal year for trying to maintain cool-climate grasses in the Southeast.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone been out to Dormie lately? I have time for one round of golf this week (the rest will be at Pinehurst) and looking for a course that is in great condition.

Just played it on Sunday. It's not terrible by any means, but there is plenty of evidence of the struggles they had over the summer. Some really sandy spots, and dead spots still hanging around. If you want great condition, hit up Mid Pines, or Pine Needles. For only being open a month, the new bermuda greens at Pine Needles were solid.

Anyone been out to Dormie lately? I have time for one round of golf this week (the rest will be at Pinehurst) and looking for a course that is in great condition.

Just played it on Sunday. It's not terrible by any means, but there is plenty of evidence of the struggles they had over the summer. Some really sandy spots, and dead spots still hanging around. If you want great condition, hit up Mid Pines, or Pine Needles. For only being open a month, the new bermuda greens at Pine Needles were solid.

Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated. That was what we were leaning toward unless I had heard of a great turnaround at DC. Who has better greens right now, Pine Needles or MP? Also, this is a lame question for a golf board, but how easy is getting a car service in Pinehurst? We are staying at The Carolina. Thanks again!

Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated. That was what we were leaning toward unless I had heard of a great turnaround at DC. Who has better greens right now, Pine Needles or MP? Also, this is a lame question for a golf board, but how easy is getting a car service in Pinehurst? We are staying at The Carolina. Thanks again!

No idea on the car service. We stayed at Pine Needles.

Mid Pines has better greens, because they're mature. Pine Needles just opened their new greens a month ago. Both are good though. Pick the course you like better, and go with it. The greens won't disappoint at either.

• 4 weeks later...

Was curious if any one has been to Dormie in the last couple weeks? Still on the road to recovery or have they gotten back to all good?

I also heard they were redoing grass with Bermuda next year - does anyone know when they will be starting the renovation and closing down? Thanks for any info!!!

TSR4 9* with Graphite Design AD-IZ 6X
SIM2 13.75* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70TX

SIM2 17.5* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 80TX
Srixon ZX7 4-9 with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 46F with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 50F with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM9 54S with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM8 58L with KBS $-Taper 130X
Brandon Matthews NO.1 CAP Custom

Titleist ProV1

Was curious if any one has been to Dormie in the last couple weeks? Still on the road to recovery or have they gotten back to all good?

I also heard they were redoing grass with Bermuda next year - does anyone know when they will be starting the renovation and closing down? Thanks for any info!!!

CGA has an event scheduled there in mid-May. My guess would be that they won't redo until June, so as to take advantage of the spring season and good conditions for bent greens.

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

Hi all,

Got an email today saying that Dormie is running a "Low Season" special right now for $50. Their webpage did not advertise it, but does claim their greens are back Andy in good shape. I've not got much time to get out there now, but maybe someone's else can take advantage of the deal.

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

• 3 weeks later...

I played Dormie Club yesterday. The course was in good condition overall. Fairways were firm and giving a nice amount of roll. Some of the Bermuda is starting to brown up, likely from drought, frost or a combination of the two, but, the ball sat beautifully in the fairways. Greens were in very good condition and I only noticed two of them with small spots that show they struggled with growth. They were rolling fast and true. The only negative, it was very crowded and took a little over five hours to play. Fee was $80 and I would play it again if in the area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's the best course nobody talks about . . . Played two rounds there this spring and was blown away.

Nobody talks about it? it gets its fair attention. i just think people are skeptical of the sticker price when the condition have been hit or miss this pass year

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

I have heard the course at Dormie is great, but the conditions are iffy. Hope to get to play it early next year!

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Let's get one thing straight: This course tends to take a beating about "course conditions." I've played it a number of times and it was ALWAYS in better shape than the resort courses. The last time I played it, it was in better shape than #2 and didn't require a $500 entry fee.

I don't get all the hubbub. It's like everyone is breathlessly waiting for it to fall apart. Frankly, I think it takes a beating because, perception-wise, because of the attitude of the founders of the place. It was supposedly going to be some high-end, invitation-only club. People in the area have never gotten over that.

I don't live there, and I don't have a bone to pick on this issue. If the weather has been crappy for the area, usually this course is in sub-par shape (as are the rest of them). If they get good growing conditions, they are in good shape. Dormie is no exception to the rule.

I think that about sums it up. It was supposed to be the most high-end course in the area, second only to Pinehurst #2. And it still has the whole caddie thing and carries the baggage of those expectations. Still billed as a premium experience.

With those expectations, someone who shows up and pays the not inconsiderable cost of playing (even if not in #2's range, still a high-$$$ option for most people relative to where they play every day) then finds it is wet condition and/or with patchy or slow or wet greens then their expectations get dashed. Nothing worse than showing up to something billed as luxury experience and being disappointed. When that happens people tend to bang on about it to anyone who will listen.

Not so much on this forum but I have encountered plenty of people harping on Tobacco Road's conditioning over the years and that's a place with much lower expectations attached.

When it comes to Dormie Club a lot has to do with how you value the caddie thing and the C&C name. If those things really do it for you, poor conditions would be disappointing but probably not spoil the experience entirely. If you just want to play what's supposed to be one of the best courses in North Carolina and expect high-end "just like an exclusive private club" pristine conditions, then anything less is viewed as an affront.

It's all about expectations.

I think that about sums it up. It was supposed to be the most high-end course in the area, second only to Pinehurst #2. And it still has the whole caddie thing and carries the baggage of those expectations. Still billed as a premium experience.

With those expectations, someone who shows up and pays the not inconsiderable cost of playing (even if not in #2's range, still a high-$$$ option for most people relative to where they play every day) then finds it is wet condition and/or with patchy or slow or wet greens then their expectations get dashed. Nothing worse than showing up to something billed as luxury experience and being disappointed. When that happens people tend to bang on about it to anyone who will listen.

Not so much on this forum but I have encountered plenty of people harping on Tobacco Road's conditioning over the years and that's a place with much lower expectations attached.

When it comes to Dormie Club a lot has to do with how you value the caddie thing and the C&C name. If those things really do it for you, poor conditions would be disappointing but probably not spoil the experience entirely. If you just want to play what's supposed to be one of the best courses in North Carolina and expect high-end "just like an exclusive private club" pristine conditions, then anything less is viewed as an affront.

I think this synopsis hits the nail on the head. When you draw comparisons to #2, some of them even placing it higher, then you are going to have players expecting to get the same conditions of a course that is ranked top 10 in the country. Most of us know that Dormie was never intended for public play but has had to open its doors to the public as a revenue source. As far as I know, they are still trying to find membership. Every time I visit, it is virtually a ghost town, and pro shop guy has probably completed more crossword puzzles than the state of Florida. I think they are missing a great opportunity in taking advantage of public play, and the comparison to #2. A smart marketing team would easily take advantage of the fact that 15 minutes down the road you have a C&C that rivals #2. You could really play into this and pulls rounds from Pinehurst visitors wanting to see what the fuss is.

Having said that, as long as the intention is to go private, I think the rest of us are at the mercy of the operations there which is to survive until membership is found. I get the feeling that they think we (the public) are being given the privilege to play the course while we can. So here is your rate, and you get whatever the weather and environment are giving you that day/week/month. It doesn't appear to matter to them if they do zero rounds or 100 rounds a day. Magazines, raters, and reviewers have created this illusion of grandeur for us in comparing it to #2. It would be different if Dormie hitched its wagon to this and marketed to the public. Unfortunately, I don't think this matters to them as their mission is to find that membership to support the club as originally intended. So while we go in expecting #2 conditioning and treatment, Dormie management welcomes us as a dollar sign until they can go private.

Honestly, if you can catch it this time of year right before it gets really cold, $80 is a steal if it is in good condition.

TSR4 9* with Graphite Design AD-IZ 6X
SIM2 13.75* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70TX

SIM2 17.5* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 80TX
Srixon ZX7 4-9 with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 46F with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 50F with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM9 54S with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM8 58L with KBS $-Taper 130X
Brandon Matthews NO.1 CAP Custom

Titleist ProV1

We played Tobacco Road and Dormie on a trip a couple of years back. Tobacco was a fun course, but really rough condition. I think they fixed the greens last year, but that's a prime example of the double standard. Dormie was immaculate.

• 3 months later...

Heading back to the area end of this month and didn't know how the course was looking? Their rates are peak when we'll be there, want to make sure it's worth it.

Scotty Cameron X5

Heading back to the area end of this month and didn't know how the course was looking? Their rates are peak when we'll be there, want to make sure it's worth it.

Curious as well. I'll be in Raleigh for business in early May and was going to meet some friends there for a round.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

• 3 weeks later...

I'll give this a bump. Any word on when they're converting to Bermuda?

I'm playing there Friday, I'll report back with details.

Scotty Cameron X5

Played 36 out there yesterday, after the first 18 my buddy and I were hooked and decided to do another 18. The course was in great shape even with the amount of rainfall they received earlier in the week. Greens were a blast to putt on! Only knock I'd have is they don't have a yardage book, the first 18 of the day was a little bit of guess work with the lines you should take off the tee. Dormie will be on my list next time I'm back in the area.

Scotty Cameron X5