The Callaway Golf Chrome Soft Event, from Chicopee, MA October 4 & 5, 2016

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to all the guys from Callaway, treated us better than could have possibly expected - Proving Callaway is a first class,operation through and through!

Thanks also to the gentlemen from GolfWRX for the invitation to attend this fantastic event and the resulting lifetime's worth of memories that resulted.

Thanks also to my newfound friends who made up the "Lucky 6" invited to attend this event! It was great meeting, playing golf, and sharing a cold beverage with you! (And thanks for winning your rounds to earn us those drivers!)

Special shout out to Tyler with whom I shared a cart. That guy hits a ball so hard and far it leaves a con trail!

Okay what I am about to write I was reluctant to. But it is no BS. I hit the tee at 7:00 am this morning wth my good friend Joe, a pleasant 38 degrees and 1/4 of dew on every surface in sight. As I loved playing it yesterday, I put one of the GolfWRX TruVis pictured previously into play. The sucker loved me back, as Joe and I watched gobsmacked while my 8 iron shot landed softly, skipped once, and gently rolled about 3 feet before nestling itself down into the par 3 9th hole at Merrimack Valley Golf Club for the first ace I've ever made.

Ain't that the bomb?

That's awesome!! Congrats! So, next round is on you, right? :lol:

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Thanks to all the guys from Callaway, treated us better than could have possibly expected - Proving Callaway is a first class,operation through and through!

Thanks also to the gentlemen from GolfWRX for the invitation to attend this fantastic event and the resulting lifetime's worth of memories that resulted.

Thanks also to my newfound friends who made up the "Lucky 6" invited to attend this event! It was great meeting, playing golf, and sharing a cold beverage with you! (And thanks for winning your rounds to earn us those drivers!)

Special shout out to Tyler with whom I shared a cart. That guy hits a ball so hard and far it leaves a con trail!

Okay what I am about to write I was reluctant to. But it is no BS. I hit the tee at 7:00 am this morning wth my good friend Joe, a pleasant 38 degrees and 1/4 of dew on every surface in sight. As I loved playing it yesterday, I put one of the GolfWRX TruVis pictured previously into play. The sucker loved me back, as Joe and I watched gobsmacked while my 8 iron shot landed softly, skipped once, and gently rolled about 3 feet before nestling itself down into the par 3 9th hole at Merrimack Valley Golf Club for the first ace I've ever made.

Ain't that the bomb?

No way!!! CONGRATS, BROTHER!! it was great playing with you yesterday!

One term to describe the outting - First Class!

I'm not left speechless often, but I'm speechless!

A big, big, big shout out and HUGE Thank You to Team Callaway Cali, Team Callaway Chicopee, and the Golf WRX Team!

To quote my hilarious playing partner, "Muchas Gracias!"

-J.P.

I understand that 85% of serial killers have short thumbs and inaccurate handicaps.

:lol: :lol: Hey, waitaminute.

I offer up my GHIN to anyone who wants it and I post every round played with others. I even asked if they needed it. :lol: When you consider I shot 9 over, at an 11.5 index, that's not outside of the realm of possibility, especially when I mostly played the ball that doesn't yet exist. :lol: I mean, I missed just a few fairways... which gave me more opportunities. Heck, on 2 of those fairways I missed - my stats show I went negative yards (backwards) from hitting wood trying to make it out from behind trees... one knock barely missed my head when I tried punching out with a 6i. My short game though was my saving grace (and another rarity, but has improved this year). Ok. So I had a lot of hail marys and "let's see if this works" shots (which many did). :lol: Some call that.... luck? I call it... ok. Luck too. :lol:

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Ain't that the bomb?

Wow congrats!!!!! Guess the Truvis works lol

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Gentlemen,

Wanted to say thank you again for joining us for our event in Chicopee. I really enjoyed hanging out and getting to know you guys, while taking in some golf ball awesomeness!

To my main man Lavone - CONGRATS ON THE HOLE IN ONE!!! Really enjoyed playing the Orchards with you and Riley.

Will be reaching out soon to each of you!

Gentlemen,

Wanted to say thank you again for joining us for our event in Chicopee. I really enjoyed hanging out and getting to know you guys, while taking in some golf ball awesomeness!

To my main man Lavone - CONGRATS ON THE HOLE IN ONE!!! Really enjoyed playing the Orchards with you and Riley.

Thanks for letting me hit the Sub Zero!

Gentlemen,

Welcome to the forum!

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Couple of additional random thoughts and tidbits from the trip:

• I always assumed the material for the core was delivered pre-made, but they actually combine raw ingredients onsite. When combining the core ingredients they have to monitor and maintain a narrow temperature range to be sure the chemical reaction that occurs results in the proper core composition.
  • The QA/QC at the plant was impressive. Ball's can be rejected at just about every stage of the process; no way a bad ball will make it through. Balls that end up with a cosmetic flaw during painting become practice and x-out balls (i.e. they have exactly the same playing characteristics as regular balls).
  • They make their own cover molds onsite using specialized equipment to cut the hex dimples into the mold.
  • The dual cores are chemically fused to each other and become a single two layer core.
  • A significant milestone that Callaway has been able to achieve is the ability to create a ball with a very soft core that also maintains high ball speed. There are other balls out there with very soft cores, but ball speed suffers significantly.
  • Injection molding of the cover on a soft core presents significant challenges; inject a thicker material with too much force and the core deforms; inject a thinner material and cover isn't uniform. This is a primary reason why soft core balls with urethane covers have only recently been introduced.
  • The logo's are always oriented the same; they have a machine that optically orients the ball based on the dimple pattern and the <Chrome Soft> label is printed at a 45 degree angle to the seam.
  • ~30% of the Chrome Soft balls sold are the Truvis. They've become so popular that they had to add equipment and they still can't keep up with demand (Truvis pattern is painted on with different equipment).
  • We were all treated incredibly well by the Callaway team and this was a trip that none of us will soon forget.

Driver- Cally Mavrik SZ 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, S
3wd- Cally Flash SZ, UST ATTAS Elements, S
Hybrids- Cally Flash 18* & Apex Pro 24* Matrix HM3 95 Black Tie, S
Irons- TM 790 4-6,  TM 760 6-PW,  Steelfiber i95, S
GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
SW/LW- Cally MD3, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

Sorry I missed it...look at my signature. :-)

Sean! You did a total bag switch!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

• I always assumed the material for the core was delivered pre-made, but they actually combine raw ingredients onsite. When combining the core ingredients they have to monitor and maintain a narrow temperature range to be sure the chemical reaction that occurs results in the proper core composition.
  • The QA/QC at the plant was impressive. Ball's can be rejected at just about every stage of the process; no way a bad ball will make it through. Balls that end up with a cosmetic flaw during painting become practice and x-out balls (i.e. they have exactly the same playing characteristics as regular balls).
  • They make their own cover molds onsite using specialized equipment to cut the hex dimples into the mold.
  • The dual cores are chemically fused to each other and become a single two layer core.
  • A significant milestone that Callaway has been able to achieve is the ability to create a ball with a very soft core that also maintains high ball speed. There are other balls out there with very soft cores, but ball speed suffers significantly.
  • Injection molding of the cover on a soft core presents significant challenges; inject a thicker material with too much force and the core deforms; inject a thinner material and cover isn't uniform. This is a primary reason why soft core balls with urethane covers have only recently been introduced.
  • The logo's are always oriented the same; they have a machine that optically orients the ball based on the dimple pattern and the <Chrome Soft> label is printed at a 45 degree angle to the seam.
  • ~30% of the Chrome Soft balls sold are the Truvis. They've become so popular that they had to add equipment and they still can't keep up with demand (Truvis pattern is painted on with different equipment).
  • We were all treated incredibly well by the Callaway team and this was a trip that none of us will soon forget.

Great post.

Love the Chrome Soft. LOVE THEM! Feel around the greens and as long as anything I play. Just cant say enough.

Ohh you have to practically scrap them off cart paths to get a scuff mark on them. Durable as they come.

Thanks to Callaway showing some WRX'ers a great time.

Great post.

Love the Chrome Soft. LOVE THEM! Feel around the greens and as long as anything I play. Just cant say enough.

Ohh you have to practically scrap them off cart paths to get a scuff mark on them. Durable as they come.

Thanks to Callaway showing some WRX'ers a great time.

When I played the old ones and even the Chrome+, I literally didn't scuff one. They were really good.

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

Sorry I missed it...look at my signature. :-)

Sean! You did a total bag switch!

It kinda snuck up on me Tommy. It took a year to get to this point. :-)

Sweet! My son asked for a new bag just today! He's researching!

Played the soccer ball for the first time this weekend and really like it.

A buddy gave me one he found and I was hooked. I love watching it roll on putts.

I have trouble seeing the ball and I think it helps me a lot.

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

Just saw this thread. What a great trip and great recap by everyone.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Awesome posts and so cool of Callaway....

I knew there was a reason I did a total bag switch this summer...........

We need to get together and play. Our all Cally bags would like kinda cool on the same cart.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Great thread guys. I think the WRXers have probably more than paid off their trip in positive advertising for Callaway and the Callaway guys treated the WRXers like friends instead of customers. Really above and beyond, IMHO.

I have a full Callaway bag now and the Truvis Chrome soft is my favorite ball. They really seem to be doing things right and really know how to treat people.

Congratulations to both sides.

Sounds like a fantastic experience. I don't know if it is weird that I enjoyed reading this whole thread, but it was well worth it. Pretty cool you got to see the whole golf ball fabrication process. I may have to try some of these Truvis Chrome balls!

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra RadSpeed[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra SZ 3 Wood[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Cobra Fly-Z 2/3 Hybrid[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra King Forged Tec[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra King 50/54/58[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Cameron Del Mar[/size][/font][/color]

Nice trip and write up guys.......

I grew up in Springfield and this brings back some good memories. A friends dad worked in the Spalding ball plant and supplied us with bags of blemished balls.

I would pick out the Tour Editions and give the rest away. The Orchards looks to be in much better condition then the last time I played it in 86. I had a office in downtown Springfield and my happy hour rotation was The Fort (had a personal boot behind the bar) Smiths Billards and The Mardi Gras.

I was a Callaway ball fan for a long time but they lost me when the SR line came out so I have been a v1x guy since. I tried the Supersoft but did not like it. This fall in the cooler weather I have been trying the Truvis and like it. Curious to see how it feels in the heat next summer but it has a chance to become my gamer.

Callaway Rouge 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* Aldila Rogue Silver
PING G410 Crossover 2i Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
PING i230 4-U Recoil F4 Smac Wrap
Vokey SM7 Black 54f - 58k
Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 33"